• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Microtransactions in DMCV

D.Dark

Because capcom can take advantage of idiots and the dmc fckn subreddit defends this ****. We are screwed. The fans have gone mental enough to defend this..

I could swallow the dlc's to some extent but this... no.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
As long as the game's orb economy isn't balanced around this, making orb acquiring intentionally slow in order to pretty much force you to buy them, I don't really care about microtransactions being there. They're only ever a problem when their presence leads to altering the games' progression system to a grind.
Matt Walker has said this is not the case here. However, it's still a greed based decision cause if the game is not balanced towards the grindy route, that only means microtransactions are just there to take advantage of the impatient people who want as many moves (or items) as possible as fast as possible. Which, if it truly was purely a matter of "player choice", as Itsuno put it, then they would simply sneak in a cheat code or something to unlock them all instantly.

That said, I'm not particularly worried about it, this is pretty much the same thing they pulled with DMC4SE. People ignored and didn't use microtransactions then, they're most likely gonna ignore them again now, so I doubt they are gonna be successful here.
And although Matt has always been pretty transparent so far, if it turns out he's lying about the game economy balance, we're gonna find out when the game comes out, and goes without saying that I'm gonna be ****ed.

StylishSpartan

As long as the game's orb economy isn't balanced around this, making orb acquiring intentionally slow in order to pretty much force you to buy them, I don't really care about microtransactions being there. They're only ever a problem when their presence leads to altering the games' progression system to a grind.
Matt Walker has said this is not the case here. However, it's still a greed based decision cause if the game is not balanced towards the grindy route, that only means microtransactions are just there to take advantage of the impatient people who want as many moves (or items) as possible as fast as possible. Which, if it truly was purely a matter of "player choice", as Itsuno put it, then they would simply sneak in a cheat code or something to unlock them all instantly.

That said, I'm not particularly worried about it, this is pretty much the same thing they pulled with DMC4SE. People ignored and didn't use microtransactions then, they're most likely gonna ignore them again now, so I doubt they are gonna be successful here.
And although Matt has always been pretty transparent so far, if it turns out he's lying about the game economy balance, we're gonna find out when the game comes out, and goes without saying that I'm gonna be ****ed.
Exactly. we pretty much have a case study for this with DMC4SE, where they were probably told by Capcom higher ups to put the MT in the game, but pretty much bucked their necessity by doubling the drop rate of orbs. I think its gonna be the same thing here.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this, I never even knew there were microtransactions in DMC4SE, so I hope it's more like that.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Remember the last time a game tried to force gamers to use microtransactions to progress?
It ended up causing such a stir that multiple countries ended up putting laws in place and a certain hated company is being taken to criminal court over it.
Capcom won't risk that, especially with a fanbase as passionate as the DMC fanbase, we pushed a garbage reboot right back down Ninja Theory's throat and caused Capcom to rethink Dante's theme.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
if there is no outcry eventually the next games will start getting designed to incentivize payments

And if that happens we'll bash those games and make them flop like we did Battlefront 2 and Shadow of War. We're not as idle as you think when it comes to these things nowadays.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I seriously suggest everybody restrain themselves from giving them money for DLC orbs. They should realist we appreciated game, not scummy DLCs.

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
Im only dropping my opinion on this matter what i also given on DMC FB oriented groups: If whole mess will be like ones in DMC 4 SE then they are obsolete for people who is good with games and well im grind master so in end i will not use any of those as for me they are purposeless.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I'm of the opinion of waiting to see just how bad it is before freaking out.

Sure, let Capcom know you don't approve of the practice. But if 4:SE has shown us that they can be sensible about it then I'll stay optimistic.

DarkSlayer54

The revive feature costs 1,500 orbs if you want only 30% of your life back, 3,000 points if you want 100% of your initial non-upgraded life, and 7,500 if you want every bit of it, upgraded life included. The second time you use a revive in the same mission those values grow to 7,500, 15,000, and 37,500 respectively.

Huh... Glad I'm getting this game on PC. If I tackle DMD, I'll just give myself a billion red orbs before playing.

I guess it's nicer to use red orbs instead of gold orbs... gives them a purpose outside of upgrades.

Dominus

Capcom should have followed the trend of not including mtx for upgrades. Spiderman and GoW got great press from doing it, and now DMCV is the next game to get **** on for mtx. I had zero effect on me for DMC4:SE, but just look how much negative press this has generated. Get your **** together Capcom, don't want this game tanking because of dumb PR moves like this... (and in this case you might lose more sales from people not buying the game then from not having mtx).

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Bthe dmc fckn subreddit defends this ****.

Having taken a peak, I mostly see people in the subreddit mostly being upset about it, and also some dumb **** about how...*checks notes*...somehow the GameSpot article started all this with a misleading title, and it's bad journalism, and they have a vendetta against DMC...?

This fandom is full of absolute nutjobs.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Pretty much this.

I kept an eye out before all this on how many red orbs you could earn playing the game and not only are they not rare they are abundant. In DMC4 SE it was ridiculously easy to farm for to the point that the mic-tras were trivial.

I think this whole thing has been blown so out of proportion it's become stupid now. Add to this that in previous games, namely 1 and 3, it was much harder to earn capital and buy things because they kept becoming more and more expensive, much harder than it looks like it's happening in 5 and this whole thing rings of overreaction. Moves and items apparently cost anywhere from 5000 to 20000 orbs and according to the article you can earn around 15000 from just the demo area. I'm not seeing the need for the concern this has sprout. If this has anything like Battlefront I'd say something but as it stands all of this is unwarranted.

I'm also getting tired of the disclaimer 'don't defend this, you can't, it's just bad' and every other BS excuse as to why this isn't a conversation it's a statement. Angry Joe started his video like that. I don't want to read people defending this in the comments. So agree or get out? Not to mention the Jim Sterling video which was just a nagging compilation of insults and mochery. I specially find it BS because I know that if or when the time comes and all of their p***ing and moaning and insults were for nothing because the games play just as well without having to pay for upgrades, such as in DMC4SE, they won't be apologizing for their condizending and downright vicious videos, specially Sterling's, nor will they ever admit fault or overreaction and that's why I don't put stock on these things anymore.

Last edited:

Devil Player

Microtransactions don't belong to a game like DMC.

There's a problem when Itsuno says gamers have the "choice, the option". No, that's not a choice. You don't have to pay for a choice if you already paid the game you already got.

Why didn't Capcom create a mode where you start the game with some weapons unlocked and moves also unlocked? Because Capcom wants money and Capcom isn't satisfied with the $60 you gave them. They want more.

The thing is: DMC games aren't for casuals. So, what's the point with the microtransactions? If there are people without patience, they should play easy automatic mode. Perhaps they shouldn't even buy a game like DMC 5. DMC games aren't arcade games, they focus on evolution, progression and so on. You have to earn what you get, while playing it.

Games like Battlefront 2 and Shadow of War prove that microtransactions are a dangerous issue. Yeah yeah, DMC 4 SE didn't have problems, but the game wasn't designed around microtransations. DMC 4 had already been developed many years before. DMC 5 is a new game that will feature that. Nobody knows until the final product finally gets released.

Let's hope they come to their senses and stop that. If they don't, we'll make them rethink that.

Top Bottom