• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Hot news: Itsuno wanted to do a DmC2!

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
The fewer people who catch wind of this, the better...

He already said it was his favorite. No reason to hide it now, I guess.

This bugs me though...

According to Itsuno, a portion of the team that didn’t get to work on DmC really wanted to push the genre ahead even more and see if they could exceed what Capcom and Ninja Theory collaborated on. That’s why it made sense to charge forward with a completely new numbered sequel to the mainline series.

They really wanted to push the genre ahead, and then they don't bother to make Dante play any better than he had since like 2008 :/

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Apparently (in that TGS interview where Reuben was present)Itsuno said cartoonish models look weird in the RE engine, so they should become more realistic.
(I'm just waiting for some full translation of that presentation).

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Apparently (in that TGS interview where Reuben was present)Itsuno said cartoonish models look weird in the RE engine, so they should become more realistic.
(I'm just waiting for some full translation of that presentation).

I wouldn't be at all surprised. Like...look at Gears of War for a perfect example of having such a realistic environmental setting and such a unique character aesthetic. It's too stark of a contrast too feel "right."

StylishSpartan

Not really surprised, he said he liked DmC so he would want to do another, but with as much work as he did for that game you might as well have just made DMC5 anyway.

Elijah Guerrero

Yeah, i saw the Reddit go nuts and people claiming Itsuno is drunk while saying this and other negative things, even downvoting anyone metioning the reboot in any light that isn't taking a dump on it. Also think Itsuno said the two series could coexist in a perfect world too. Fingers crossed~!

StylishSpartan

Yeah, i saw the Reddit go nuts and people claiming Itsuno is drunk while saying this and other negative things, even downvoting anyone metioning the reboot in any light that isn't taking a dump on it. Also think Itsuno said the two series could coexist in a perfect world too. Fingers crossed~!
Not gonna lie, I feel like the game was just marketed horribly. If it would have been sold as a easier pick up and play type of devil may cry for newcomers to the series as apposed to the clear new direction of the franchise I don't think the reaction would have been as bad. but Capcom and NT tackled it the way they did, and the game underperformed by a widen margin upon release.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Not gonna lie, I feel like the game was just marketed horribly. If it would have been sold as a easier pick up and play type of devil may cry for newcomers to the series as apposed to the clear new direction of the franchise I don't think the reaction would have been as bad. but Capcom and NT tackled it the way they did, and the game underperformed by a widen margin upon release.

No, it wasn't the marketing. It never stood a chance with this fanbase. They hated it the moment the announcement trailer dropped; people spread rumors about dial-a-combo and overheating guns with no basis; they complained about Dante's hair despite a rep pointing out that he had a splash of white and him saying there's a reason; they claimed Tameem put himself in the game despite looking nothing like the placeholder, it being completely unrealistic that two companies would sign off on it, and that Tim Phillips portrays Dante; and just generally people refused to accept that it was a game that was made differently, but not "bad". They did propose it as a game that was more welcoming to newcomers, but according to fans, that was an insult.

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
This is so cool to hear. Though I doubt we'll be getting a DmC2 if NT doesn't sign on, and I don't think they want that negativity from the fanbase again. But yeah, it WOULD feel weird to make a DmC2 with just Capcom and not NT.

Yeah, i saw the Reddit go nuts and people claiming Itsuno is drunk while saying this and other negative things, even downvoting anyone mentioning the reboot in any light that isn't taking a dump on it. Also think Itsuno said the two series could coexist in a perfect world too. Fingers crossed~!

It really goes to show just how awful some people in this fandom are. One minute they give Itsuno praise, but he says ONE positive thing about the reboot, and suddenly he's public enemy number one. Well, at least we get things from DmC in DMC5 that naysayers have no choice but to accept at this point. I'd love for there to be a DLC where Classic!Dante and New!Dante work together for a short time.

StylishSpartan

No, it wasn't the marketing. It never stood a chance with this fanbase. They hated it the moment the announcement trailer dropped; people spread rumors about dial-a-combo and overheating guns with no basis; they complained about Dante's hair despite a rep pointing out that he had a splash of white and him saying there's a reason; they claimed Tameem put himself in the game despite looking nothing like the placeholder, it being completely unrealistic that two companies would sign off on it, and that Tim Phillips portrays Dante; and just generally people refused to accept that it was a game that was made differently, but not "bad". They did propose it as a game that was more welcoming to newcomers, but according to fans, that was an insult.
True, I do recall that, but I also recall several legit concerns over the game being met with contempt, like how the game wouldn't run at 60 fps and how there would be no turbo mode. Those type of questions were met with vitriol from the devs as well, and just served to make the fans of the game that cared more for the gameplay more alienated from the game. I wont deny that the fans have no small part of the blame for the stigma that surrounds that game, but so do the devs. Also, I don't recall them mentioning that the game was more geared towards getting more new players to get into the genre/ series. Im not saying that it isn't the case, but if you could find the interview or vid where they stated it, I would apricate it.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Better marketing decisions and coaching Tameem might have helped but the storm already came.

The core problem with DmC was it's a non-canon spinoff that had an unappealing take. It's not hard to see why fans weren't on board or skeptical. Granted some people took it too far.

There might have been better ways to handle that core problem but hindsight is annoying.

Its what we got and we just have to hope that fans, NT, and capcom all learned from it.

dg1995

At least he is a fan of other people's work on Devil May Cry franchise unlike Kamiya.

But from what I know the talented game developers are always kind of rebels that want to make different kind of games instead of just making sequels.(Even I know that Shinji Mikami and Tim Schafer preferred to make new kind of games than just sequels)

KtWtWiS43

“I really wanted to make a DmC: Devil May Cry 2, after the first one. -- I was really pumped up to do it, and then that didn’t happen. So… when it came time to make a new game, we said, alright, let’s make Devil May Cry 5." --Hideaki Itsuno (Source link: https://www.vg247.com/2018/09/26/dmc-devil-may-cry-2-hideaki-itsuno/)

Any thoughts on this? Since the beginning, I think I've been largely against any kind of sequel from CAPCOM. Itsuno admitting that he'd rather make a DmC sequel than a Devil May Cry sequel pretty much validates everything I was afraid of.

Taking into account that:

a) Nero's redesign looks almost exactly like DmC Dante
b) DMC5's "Demon's have completely taken over the Human World" scenario fits exactly with the first DmC's ending.
c) The V character. Everything about the V character. He even has Kat's spell book.
d) The SOUNDTRACK.
c) The lowered difficulty settings, and the S for "Savage" in the Style Rank.

It seems pretty obvious that Itsuno smashed in everything he wanted for a DmC2 into the new DMC5. You can almost see the stitches. I think his ultimate plan for an "emotional ending" is to kill off Dante, Lady, and Trish, --or--- get Dante out of the way by making him the new Demon King, and then soft reboot the franchise under Nero, to get back to making the kind of Devil May Cry games he wants.

Also not a fan of adding Microtransactions into my beautiful, beautiful Divinity Statues.

Top Bottom