• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

General DMC 5 Discussion

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
I found it being on the d pad handy as it's not used by Nero for anything

And I'm used to the d-pad from Dante as I have a weird control scheme for him for JC

Basically on Xbox controller for Dante it's

Lt lock on
Lb change gun
RT royal guard
RB devil trigger
Y melee
B style
X shoot
A jump
D-pad up trickster
D-pad down change sword/melee
D-pad right swordmaster
D-pad left gunslinger

For Nero I use X for jump instead of a so having dt on d-pad suits me

berto

I Saw the Devil
There is a bug at the start of the demo, mission 2 in the main game. People told me that they showed up later and it couldn't or needn't be killed. Well, I failed to get it a whole bunch of times but out of a whim I tried this:
https://streamable.com/p1162

Vergil95

Might controls everything, and without strength, y
Spoilers for all games other then 5 ahead.

I'm going to try and type up a timeline of all the games.

Reboot: In this game we see Dante being an ass. And... That's about it. We also see him explore his past a bit, but that was established already. The reboot just hits that detail on the nose. There's also Kat, who we NEVER see after this. And Virgil actually hid behind V (who at the time was just him with a mask to hide his identity). Since this is a reboot it's not known if the game is considered part of the whole series or not. The history in DMC5 doesn't show it at all. At the same time we seem to have parts of the reboot in 5 (mainly V). What's unknown is what became of Kat. There's a bunch of bosses and we take down Mundus in the human world but it's nothing special. Beyond the fact Virgil basically murders Mundus's spouse before Dante and Virgil defeat him.

DMC3: The first DMC game I played and I consider it the second best, with 5 coming out on top. First we have Virgil showing up. Dante gets to the top of the tower and they fight. Virgil stabs dante in the chest which awakens his demon powers. But what's interesting here is the line he says when that happens. "Might controls everything and without strength you can not protect anything". This made it clear to me that Virgil had lost someone very close to him. It also explains his lust for power. He's not doing it for himself alone, he's looking for power so he won't lose anyone close to him again. However, without a reason for power (eg: someone to protect) "absolute power" ends up getting the better of Virgil until the events in DMC5 (late game). After the first fight Dante has to climb the tower again and meets Mary on the way. For some reason Mary inspires Dante and Dante says himself that at first he didn't give a damn. But because of her he knows what's important now. Arkham being her farther (and thus a reminder of Sparda) also probably has something to do with that. Virgil fights Dante as the portal to the demon world is opened only for Arkham to interfere because he wants the sparda sword. Eventually Dante and Virgil defeat Arhkham (who dies to Mary in the end) and Dante and Virgil fight again in hell. Because Virgil wants to keep the amulet he has along with spada's sword. Dante gains the sword but loses Virgil in hell, who fell off a cliff, even pushing Dante away as Dante tried to save him. Arkham also had a wife, who presumably he murdered in some demonic ritual. But that's not confirmed. It would however explain Mary's desire to hunt him down. From the comments he makes in DMC3 it's clear she's dead. Arkham very nearly killed Mary to spill every drop of her blood to open the portal to hell, but her leg bleeding was enough for that. Which didn't stop Arkham from trying to kill her. So when Arkham fell from the sky (where hell is??? Portals are weird) she finished him off.

DMC 1: I don't know much about this one since I haven't played it. But from what I understand Virgil gets corrupted by Mundus in hell and loses to Dante and then disappears. Likely through teleport magic. The amulet is left behind. Trish is made by Mundus who is made to kill Dante, only instead of doing that she decides to help him instead. And then they kill Mundus.

DMC 2: The other DMC game I haven't played. But from what I hear it's nothing special. Dante has a coin and kills demons. it's a trip to hell that's basically separate from the rest of events. Also what happened to that coin?

DMC4: Mary and Trish now live with or near Dante apparently. Demon hunters together. There's a pope and he's the bad guy. Dante kills him. The en- wait, now he's back from the dead. And Agnus, a researcher, makes people demons. Nero is introduced and he fights Dante. Pope killing will do that. There's somone named Credo who's a childhood "friend" of Nero's, but he's on the other side and gets killed. Dante gives Nero yamato because he's "That swell a guy". Also Kyria is Nero's girlfriend or something who gets kidnapped and rescued. Together they defeat that evil pope and Agnus dies too. Who is, quote, an "asshole daddy". I'll explain that in 5. Not much to cover here because basically it's the same game played twice with playing as Dante the second time. Yamato unlockes Nero's devil trigger, like with Dante in 3.

Spoilers involving 5 ahead. This is a clear warning. Play the game first if you want to find out playing.

DMC5: There's a demon king and it's the end of the world. Even Dante can't stop him. There's a new character known as V and everyone loses. And that's just the intro. It turns out V is half of Virgil and the demon king is the other half. Dante doesn't want Nero in the way and tries to push him away. The demon king eats a fruit of power but Dante beats him despite this. Turns out Virgil is Nero's farther. V merges with the demon king and that makes Virgil himself again. Finally thinking things through Virgil waits at the top of the tree, just like waiting at the top of the tower in 3. Dante wants to take back yamato and end things with Virgil and so Dante and Virgil fight. After knocking each other around Virgil comments on Nero being his son. Which he says was a long time ago. Thus whoever Nero's mother is is most likely dead and the whole reason for Virgil's lust for power in the first place (likely murdered by some demon or other). Nero then stops them fighting by butting in before they kill each other. Beyond this we know nothing of Virgil's mother. Not sure how he felt about Eva, Dante and Virgil's mother. Virgil never knew her (being too young) so might not have had much in the way of feelings towards her. Although she wasn't strong enough to prevent getting killed by Mundus so that likely factors in somewhat. What's interesting to note here is Nico bringing up her "asshole daddy" who did "research". And given her skin colour it's likely she's Agnus's daughter and was picked up after the events in 4. My only gripe with this is that it's not confirmed in notes or something, so it can be VERY easy to miss. As much as I like a brain teaser I consider that important plot that needs to be more clear. What's even MORE obvious is the fact that NO ONE comments on how Virgil came back from hell. Not Dante, not Virgil, not anyone. Nor is there any indication of what Virgil was up too before "splitting" himself into V and the demon king after coming back from hell. This, combined with Nero's mother, indicates there's likely going to be another game as Dante and Virgil finish things up in hell (likely with some backstory on Virgil's part).
Dmc reboot is non Canon to the time line, in fact you write it yourself REBOOT, it s a completely different timeline... The dmc timeline Canon is,
devil may cry 3 Dante s awakening
Devil may cry 1
Devil may cry the animated series
Devil may cry 2
Devil may cry 4
Devil may cry 5 before the nightmare novel
Devil may cry 5
I suggest you to play devil may cry 1 and also dmc 2 even if they say it's nothing special and they are pretty right but I find it intriguing somehow...
Virgil is written Vergil, just for information
Told you this just to not get confused in the timeline

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
There is something I've never mentioned because I figured people knew but if you want to hold your 3 bullet charge while not holding the shoot button the whole time I found that the one animation you can use is the drop kick. I found this out day 1 of the xbox demo back in the first demo so I figure every knew but I keep seeing people who don't know how to hold all 3 charges.

Can you trigger the drop kick animation without running somehow?

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
While in devil trigger for Nero you can do a dual snatch and dual hold

But only one buster move at a time unfortunately

Picard

Starfleet Demon
That dropkick is a hilarious way of finishing off enemies

Back when playing DMC4 I used it more often as an "introduction", throw the enemy off-balance and then lay onto them with Red Queen. Plus it is a nice callback to DMC4 introductory cutscene, so it is nice to know that they included it here as well.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
So how awkward is that Michael Jackson dancing after that recent documentary lol

Also I finally beat hell and he'll , just need to s rank a good few of it's missions and then I'll have the full gamerscore

Can't wait for bloody palace, also is it just me or is this DMC much easier than 3 and 4?

Vergil95

Might controls everything, and without strength, y
So how awkward is that Michael Jackson dancing after that recent documentary lol

Also I finally beat hell and he'll , just need to s rank a good few of it's missions and then I'll have the full gamerscore

Can't wait for bloody palace, also is it just me or is this DMC much easier than 3 and 4?
Yes it is... The most difficult dmc remain dmc 1, impossible to do on dante must die on ps2, the hd was remaked to be much easyer...
The most difficult dmc game are for me this
1: devil may cry 1 ps2 European version
2: devil may cry 3 ps2 European version
3: devil may cry 3 special edition
4: devil may cry 4 and special edition
5: devil may cry 5
6: dmc devil may cry
7: devil may cry 2
Dmc 5 is pretty easy unfortunately and I did dante must die the first time without golden orb to try take S rank in the end

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
I found it on par with 4 up to DMD , DMD on 4 is more aggressive and unforgiving , tougher than 2 and DmC by far too

Dm1 on DMD is actually not too bad once u learn boss exploits

And 3 is the same , once u exploit boss weaknesses it's handy enough

Goldsickle

So I finally got around playing Fanfic May Cringe V.

The new character G (Gary Stu) feels awkward to control, especially since locking on to an enemy doesn't do jacks***, where Shadow and Griffon will be swatting thin air.

I wonder who's the lucky 13 year old whose fanfic got turned into an official Devil May Cry game =0

Top Bottom