• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

General DMC 5 Discussion

DarkSlayer54

Dante stabbing himself all the time going Sin makes me LOL

In story it makes no sense as he can go Sin in the final fight without stabbing himself

But nice touch

I never even clued in that he never stabbed himself in the final fight.

I guess it could be argued that Dante managed to trigger it without a catalyst by the end of the game, but prior to that he still needed the sword stabbing?

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
I think it's just a cool visual effect , when he unlocked the dt he stabbed himself, but against Vergil and after the Vergil Nero fight be had full control to trigger at will

i think it's an Easter egg of him getting impaled by a sword for the fans , since him stabbing himself with the hilt of rebellion isn't the same as being impaled by a sword flying at him

Vergil95

Might controls everything, and without strength, y
Dante stabbing himself all the time going Sin makes me LOL

In story it makes no sense as he can go Sin in the final fight without stabbing himself

But nice touch
It's probably a design choice since it would have been ridicolus to have him stab during the final fight, while in gameplay is pretty cool, image the scene...
Vergil: what the hell are you doing?
Dante: I'm trying to stabb myself

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I was sad to see Rebellon go, but I'm loving the new sword. When I first heard it leaked that Dante was getting a new sword to replace Rebellion. I was like 'Wtf?' if it was Sparda I could understand, still a family heirloom, and an ultra powerful sword. But just some random devil arm?

I could never imagine Dante absorbing Rebellion and Sparda and fusing them into one and gaining a new, much more powerful demon form to boot. Loved it

Speaking of demon forms....Yes, finally! Nero did a full devil trigger and has a demon form of his own, and it looks awesome. I think the extra long hair was an odd choice. But other then that it looks awesome. I was wondering if he'd even have one.

Just one detail...Why'd they have him grow his arm back? Like I thought it was cool when it happened...But his arm magically disappears when he equips a Devil Breaker? Plus, he can still use his Devil Bringer abilities and Devil Trigger when he has a Devil Breaker equipped. Maybe he didn't really grow the arm back per say, just Nero's Devil Bringer can physically manifest a right hand, still would have liked an explanation though.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Plus, he can still use his Devil Bringer abilities and Devil Trigger when he has a Devil Breaker equipped.

Well, even in DMC4, it wasn't the Bringer itself doing Buster and Snatch, but rather a phantom version of it summoned by the actual arm. The same happens here. I'm guessing the regrown arm isn't of actual flesh and bone, but sort of an energy manifestation.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I must be the only person on the planet who enjoyed playing as V. lol He was the character I looked forward to the most and while I understand why they gave him the least missions of every character because of his unique playstyle, I was a little disappointed.

Vergil95

I was sad to see Rebellon go, but I'm loving the new sword. When I first heard it leaked that Dante was getting a new sword to replace Rebellion. I was like 'Wtf?' if it was Sparda I could understand, still a family heirloom, and an ultra powerful sword. But just some random devil arm?

I could never imagine Dante absorbing Rebellion and Sparda and fusing them into one and gaining a new, much more powerful demon form to boot. Loved it

Speaking of demon forms....Yes, finally! Nero did a full devil trigger and has a demon form of his own, and it looks awesome. I think the extra long hair was an odd choice. But other then that it looks awesome. I was wondering if he'd even have one.

Just one detail...Why'd they have him grow his arm back? Like I thought it was cool when it happened...But his arm magically disappears when he equips a Devil Breaker? Plus, he can still use his Devil Bringer abilities and Devil Trigger when he has a Devil Breaker equipped. Maybe he didn't really grow the arm back per say, just Nero's Devil Bringer can physically manifest a right hand, still would have liked an explanation though.
In gameplay the harm doesn't disappear he simply equip the breaker on the harm like he is wearing a glove

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I must be the only person on the planet who enjoyed playing as V. lol He was the character I looked forward to the most and while I understand why they gave him the least missions of every character because of his unique playstyle, I was a little disappointed.
I enjoyed him too.

He was my favorite character and i wish he got his own spinoff.

Alas it was not meant to be.

Vergil95

I enjoyed him too.

He was my favorite character and i wish he got his own spinoff.

Alas it was not meant to be.
I love it too... His level were also the most interesting regarding the story because there was mistery in it... Even if I understand at the beginning of the fourth mission That he was vergil since I pressed the taunt button and he begin to caugh just like vergil did when he ripped Nero harm... Also his other taunt have many similarity with vergil, there is a taunt were v says: I need moooreeeeeee stregth, a connection to vergil quote I need more power

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Well, even in DMC4, it wasn't the Bringer itself doing Buster and Snatch, but rather a phantom version of it summoned by the actual arm. The same happens here. I'm guessing the regrown arm isn't of actual flesh and bone, but sort of an energy manifestation.
The way I interpreted it was that the arm is flesh and blood, but since Nero's Devil Bringer in 4 had the ability to warp matter and merge it into his body, what he does at the end of 5 is like fuse his arm and the Devil Breaker together temporarily while it's in use or something.

They certainly could have made it a little clearer.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Well the scene of him growing it back showed it as a blue spectral arm first , and when he puts on the breaker at the epilogue it shows him retracting it and it has a blue glow then too

So I believe it is an arm but one he can conjure and not a regenerated limb

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I gotta say, when it came to Mission 19...

I tried to be the bigger man and face off against Vergil with only (Sword) Dante and Swordmaster, but then Vergil kept being a little b***** in the second half of the fight and so I had no choice...

RoyalGuardRoyalGuardRoyalGuardRoyalGuardRoyalGuardRoyalGuardRoyalGuardRoyalGuardRoyalGuardRoyalGuardRoyalGuardRoyalGuardRoyalGuardRoyalGuard...

I spammed it good and hard until the meter was full and then Vergil went down hilariously easy from a Royal Revenge strike or two. :tongue:

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
He can be guard broken and wrecked by balrogs punches too lain , also royal guard builds dt to add a damage boost to the punches

He has a set pattern you can learn

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I gotta say, when it came to Mission 19...

I tried to be the bigger man and face off against Vergil with only (Sword) Dante and Swordmaster, but then Vergil kept being a little b***** in the second half of the fight and so I had no choice...

RoyalGuardRoyalGuardRoyalGuardRoyalGuardRoyalGuardRoyalGuardRoyalGuardRoyalGuardRoyalGuardRoyalGuardRoyalGuardRoyalGuardRoyalGuardRoyalGuard...

I spammed it good and hard until the meter was full and then Vergil went down hilariously easy from a Royal Revenge strike or two. :tongue:
For me, it was swordmaster and gunslinger, with the DSD and Coyote A. Plus I just replayed Mission 20 of DMC3 very recently. So I was in the right mindset for fighting Vergil. I mainly fought with swordmaster and the DSD. But would switch to gunslinger to catch him off-guard with a gun-stinger

Vergil95

I find easy to fight vergil with trickster and dante sword, also when in the second part vergil begin to pair constantly you attack with Yamato change weapon, if you are using dante use cerberus and his defense will break, also if he begin to block cerberus, switch to Balrog, if he begin to pair switch to cavaliere and so on... His devil trigger move can simply be dodged by jumping toward him with a double jump when he charge you

Taramafor

Spoilers for all games other then 5 ahead.

I'm going to try and type up a timeline of all the games.

Reboot: In this game we see Dante being an ass. And... That's about it. We also see him explore his past a bit, but that was established already. The reboot just hits that detail on the nose. There's also Kat, who we NEVER see after this. And Virgil actually hid behind V (who at the time was just him with a mask to hide his identity). Since this is a reboot it's not known if the game is considered part of the whole series or not. The history in DMC5 doesn't show it at all. At the same time we seem to have parts of the reboot in 5 (mainly V). What's unknown is what became of Kat. There's a bunch of bosses and we take down Mundus in the human world but it's nothing special. Beyond the fact Virgil basically murders Mundus's spouse before Dante and Virgil defeat him.

DMC3: The first DMC game I played and I consider it the second best, with 5 coming out on top. First we have Virgil showing up. Dante gets to the top of the tower and they fight. Virgil stabs dante in the chest which awakens his demon powers. But what's interesting here is the line he says when that happens. "Might controls everything and without strength you can not protect anything". This made it clear to me that Virgil had lost someone very close to him. It also explains his lust for power. He's not doing it for himself alone, he's looking for power so he won't lose anyone close to him again. However, without a reason for power (eg: someone to protect) "absolute power" ends up getting the better of Virgil until the events in DMC5 (late game). After the first fight Dante has to climb the tower again and meets Mary on the way. For some reason Mary inspires Dante and Dante says himself that at first he didn't give a damn. But because of her he knows what's important now. Arkham being her farther (and thus a reminder of Sparda) also probably has something to do with that. Virgil fights Dante as the portal to the demon world is opened only for Arkham to interfere because he wants the sparda sword. Eventually Dante and Virgil defeat Arhkham (who dies to Mary in the end) and Dante and Virgil fight again in hell. Because Virgil wants to keep the amulet he has along with spada's sword. Dante gains the sword but loses Virgil in hell, who fell off a cliff, even pushing Dante away as Dante tried to save him. Arkham also had a wife, who presumably he murdered in some demonic ritual. But that's not confirmed. It would however explain Mary's desire to hunt him down. From the comments he makes in DMC3 it's clear she's dead. Arkham very nearly killed Mary to spill every drop of her blood to open the portal to hell, but her leg bleeding was enough for that. Which didn't stop Arkham from trying to kill her. So when Arkham fell from the sky (where hell is??? Portals are weird) she finished him off.

DMC 1: I don't know much about this one since I haven't played it. But from what I understand Virgil gets corrupted by Mundus in hell and loses to Dante and then disappears. Likely through teleport magic. The amulet is left behind. Trish is made by Mundus who is made to kill Dante, only instead of doing that she decides to help him instead. And then they kill Mundus.

DMC 2: The other DMC game I haven't played. But from what I hear it's nothing special. Dante has a coin and kills demons. it's a trip to hell that's basically separate from the rest of events. Also what happened to that coin?

DMC4: Mary and Trish now live with or near Dante apparently. Demon hunters together. There's a pope and he's the bad guy. Dante kills him. The en- wait, now he's back from the dead. And Agnus, a researcher, makes people demons. Nero is introduced and he fights Dante. Pope killing will do that. There's somone named Credo who's a childhood "friend" of Nero's, but he's on the other side and gets killed. Dante gives Nero yamato because he's "That swell a guy". Also Kyria is Nero's girlfriend or something who gets kidnapped and rescued. Together they defeat that evil pope and Agnus dies too. Who is, quote, an "asshole daddy". I'll explain that in 5. Not much to cover here because basically it's the same game played twice with playing as Dante the second time. Yamato unlockes Nero's devil trigger, like with Dante in 3.

Spoilers involving 5 ahead. This is a clear warning. Play the game first if you want to find out playing.

DMC5: There's a demon king and it's the end of the world. Even Dante can't stop him. There's a new character known as V and everyone loses. And that's just the intro. It turns out V is half of Virgil and the demon king is the other half. Dante doesn't want Nero in the way and tries to push him away. The demon king eats a fruit of power but Dante beats him despite this. Turns out Virgil is Nero's farther. V merges with the demon king and that makes Virgil himself again. Finally thinking things through Virgil waits at the top of the tree, just like waiting at the top of the tower in 3. Dante wants to take back yamato and end things with Virgil and so Dante and Virgil fight. After knocking each other around Virgil comments on Nero being his son. Which he says was a long time ago. Thus whoever Nero's mother is is most likely dead and the whole reason for Virgil's lust for power in the first place (likely murdered by some demon or other). Nero then stops them fighting by butting in before they kill each other. Beyond this we know nothing of Virgil's mother. Not sure how he felt about Eva, Dante and Virgil's mother. Virgil never knew her (being too young) so might not have had much in the way of feelings towards her. Although she wasn't strong enough to prevent getting killed by Mundus so that likely factors in somewhat. What's interesting to note here is Nico bringing up her "asshole daddy" who did "research". And given her skin colour it's likely she's Agnus's daughter and was picked up after the events in 4. My only gripe with this is that it's not confirmed in notes or something, so it can be VERY easy to miss. As much as I like a brain teaser I consider that important plot that needs to be more clear. What's even MORE obvious is the fact that NO ONE comments on how Virgil came back from hell. Not Dante, not Virgil, not anyone. Nor is there any indication of what Virgil was up too before "splitting" himself into V and the demon king after coming back from hell. This, combined with Nero's mother, indicates there's likely going to be another game as Dante and Virgil finish things up in hell (likely with some backstory on Virgil's part).

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
There is something I've never mentioned because I figured people knew but if you want to hold your 3 bullet charge while not holding the shoot button the whole time I found that the one animation you can use is the drop kick. I found this out day 1 of the xbox demo back in the first demo so I figure every knew but I keep seeing people who don't know how to hold all 3 charges.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Am I the only one who wishes doppleganger and the other extra style were in 5

I mean it's not like he lost those abilities since he absorbed em and they aren't devil arms he could sell

Doppleganger would mean couch coop in the game and quicksilver would be a nice balance since Nero has ragtime

Top Bottom