• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

General DMC 5 Discussion

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Been playing loads lately, round work and stuff I'll add. On mission 8 or 9 so far. However, I have to say I prefer V to this Nero so far. I like his fighting style and moves. A cool new character...
I found "V" to be boring. All you're doing is spamming the top 2 button on your controller, and these button only summons your friends; Griffon, and Shadow. Nightmare is akin to Devil Trigger, IMHO. I do like the scenes with Griffon. Like when Griffon was annoying, and Dante got a hold of him and threw him. It was funny. :)

I will give "V" credit, though... he does have nice finishers, like pressing his cane into foreheads, or stabbing cane into bodies, etc. But the way he is controlled threw me off.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Yes it is... The most difficult dmc remain dmc 1, impossible to do on dante must die on ps2, the hd was remaked to be much easyer...
You are not kidding. I don't platinum many games because of lack of interest but not only have I platinumed Bayonetta, DMC3 and not only Platinumed but 100% Bloodborne, but DMC1? Sweet merciful lord, I've had to cheat so much to get through that game on DMD...

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
You are not kidding. I don't platinum many games because of lack of interest but not only have I platinumed Bayonetta, DMC3 and not only Platinumed but 100% Bloodborne, but DMC1? Sweet merciful lord, I've had to cheat so much to get through that game on DMD...
DMC1 was hardcore :( It was painfull platinum to get.

ReaperHunter

Follow me to Apex
Premium
Yeah, I don't platinum many games either. Usually I just kind of stumble into them because of playing the game in question so much. Or the list is really easy. DMC1 is really the only game I've went out of my way to do.

Vergil95

Might controls everything, and without strength, y
And on the HD edition for ps3 and Xbox was lowered, for ps2 was more difficult trust me

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Are we playing different games lmao, DMC1 on DMD is hard but it's super doable if u play strategic

The stun loop for nelo Angelo , the critical damage spot for phantom and griffon

All can be exploited

Original version included

Do any of ye use the reset animation for the sword where u can chain a long attack by resetting an animation with a rotation of the analogue stick

Vergil95

Are we playing different games lmao, DMC1 on DMD is hard but it's super doable if u play strategic

The stun loop for nelo Angelo , the critical damage spot for phantom and griffon

All can be exploited

Original version included

Do any of ye use the reset animation for the sword where u can chain a long attack by resetting an animation with a rotation of the analogue stick
No... I don't use this kind of stuff while playing... I was just saying the ps2 versione Is more difficult than the HD... The HD is a joke

berto

I Saw the Devil
Oh ya I agree there , the hd collection ruined the difficulty
Not ruined, reverted back to its original. Just like how DMC3SE reverted the difficulties back to their original settings.

For those who don't want to go down the list:

The Devil’s In The Disappointment

To begin, I must go all the way back to Devil May Cry 1. When the Devil May Cry HD Collection was released, Capcom were praised for ‘fixing’ the control scheme of the first game as people found jumping with Triangle to be awkward. However, Capcom didn’t ‘fix’ it per se, they just used a version that ‘wasn’t broken’.

Believe it or not, the original Japanese version of Devil May Cry actually used X to jump and Triangle for melee. For proof, here is a screenshot of the control scheme.

dmc1-controls.png

Triangle reads “剣攻撃” – Sword Attack.
Capcom decided to use the Japanese version of DMC1 for the HD release and injected the English text into the game. This decision led people to believe that they had become action game gods:

I played DMC1 HD at a friend’s house last night, and I swear it felt easier than the original version…Does anyone else feel like they toned down the difficulty? Or did I just magically get better at this game…?​
– Yoshi006, 2012​

The answer in this case is the former.

Here we cut back to our friend BassOmegaX. After comparing both the Japanese and American versions of Devil May Cry via RAM watching, he came to this conclusion:

In DMC1 USA, Dante’s attacks do 80% of the damage compared to the JPN version on Normal and Hard mode…In addition, Dante takes 20% more damage from regular enemies compared to the JPN version on all modes, including DMD.​
– BassOmegaX, 2015​

So there we have it, Devil May Cry 1 was made artificially harder in Western regions compared to its Japanese counterpart.

When it was time to make Devil May Cry 2, Capcom rolled out a global survey on Devil May Cry 1 to see what changes they could implement into the sequel. All regions complained about the game’s difficulty, which later resulted in Devil May Cry 2’s pathetic difficulty:

It seems somewhere along the line that Capcom took the criticism of DMC being too hard for the casual audience and went completely the other way, making it harder to die than not…right now we’re praying that the challenge ramps up soon, or else this is in serious danger of being labelled one of the easiest games of all time…​
– Eurogamer, 2003​

Unfortunately, the difficulty never did ramp up, and Western reviewers and players alike were especially cut-throat about it:

Our first impressions six weeks ago seemed to confirm these reports that the game was almost embarrassingly easy for anyone in possession of two functioning thumbs.​
– Eurogamer, 2003​

Wanting to avoid the mistake of making another game that was too easy, it seems that Capcom made the decision to make a sequel harder than Devil May Cry 2, while following in Devil May Cry 1’s footsteps of making it easier for the Japanese market. This would explain the Eastern vs Western difficulty difference, but not the NTSC-PAL difference within the West.

This is simultaneously the most interesting part of the story and the part that nobody other than myself has figured out. If you’ll stay with me, I can explain to you why Europe received Devil May Cry 3’s Japanese difficulty settings rather than America’s.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
When a difficulty is dumbed down that ruins it for me

The same happend with euro extreme etc on mgs hd collection

I just love challenging games

Vergil95

When a difficulty is dumbed down that ruins it for me

The same happend with euro extreme etc on mgs hd collection

I just love challenging games
I the mgs HD European extreme different than the original for ps2?

Vergil95

It's much easier yes , some minor changes but difficulty is one of them
I don't understand why change the difficulty especially the extreme one... Probably they do so that casual gamer will not trowh their controller out of the window but I don't understand why change the higher difficult

Goldsickle

Devil Buster can be interrupted but Super Busters can't?
What other differences between the Devil Bringer and having a Buster Arm?

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
There aren't any other real differencs other than the length of the snatch grab and the dt boost to the bringers buster

Top Bottom