• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

General DMC 5 Discussion

berto

I Saw the Devil
I wish I’d gotten a chance to go to the con but I have to go attend to my family. I think this’ll be the first year I don’t attend since I first started going.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Replyhttp://www.capcom-germany.de/2018/07/weltpremiere-devil-may-cry-5-auf-der-gamescom-2018-anspielbar/
Basically this:

The Gamescom 2018 at Capcom this year is all about the sons of Sparda! For this year's Gamescom we offer you a world premiere :
For the first time, you as a visitor to the gaming fair will be able to play the action spectacle Devil May Cry 5, which will be released in the spring of 2019 . Play stations for you will be on the Xbox booth in Hall 8 of the Koelnmesse. In this first playable version of Devil May Cry 5 , you'll be on the streets of Red Grave City with Nero, setting you up for some demons and creatures of the underworld.

In addition, director Hideaki Itsuno visits Gamescom and will sign autographs. You will learn more about this shortly. Devil May Cry 5 will be released for the Xbox One family, the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system and Windows PCs.

However, Resident Evil fans will not have to go their own ways: the Xbox booth will also feature select play stations where you can throw a very first, exclusive and limited look at the recently announced reinterpretation of our iconic survival horror classic Resident Evil 2 , Thus, the title is publicly playable for the first time in Europe; however, a minimum age of 18 years is required due to age rating restrictions. Extensive possibilities to play Resident Evil 2 are offered as part of the EGX Berlin . More information will be available in the next weeks!

That means DMC5 might not be behind closed doors like DmC was back in the day, wich in turn mean less waiting in line!
But that also means I'll have to make do with a Xbone controller (wich I'm not that fond of) but I'll make do. Only a couple of weeks left!

Didn't say anything about Dante yet!!!!

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
>On that note, I can verify that the supposed "leak" of Dante in Smash is true. I'm not really a Smash/Nintendo guy, but I've seen the trailer. I can try and break down what I noticed if you guys want, I think DMC fans will be very happy with how he's represented.

****innnnnnnnnnnnn' what?

BoBo

Hi all, I came across this video on my youtube feed. I don't know if it's old or new but I thought I should post it just in case. It might be a leaked flashback cg from dmc5

V's patron

be loyal to what matters

Hi all, I came across this video on my youtube feed. I don't know if it's old or new but I thought I should post it just in case. It might be a leaked flashback cg from dmc5

Those are from the DMC4 pachinko machines in Japan.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted

berto

I Saw the Devil
I don't know how I feel about this.

As anyone who's been critical of DmC I wouldn't want a direct copy of that game but that's not to say that it did nothing right. In fact, given the choice between a modified, improved and polished DmC system and another DMC4 system I'd pick a DmC one made by Itsuno. DMC4's combat for Nero is anemic while Dante's is pointlessly complex for the mere reason to have its roots in DMC3's style system.

Frankly, I don't want to see the style system return. In DMC4 you go from Nero's combat to Dante's, which is like going from a pool deep sea diving. You're missing a lot of instruction in between. You can learn Nero's combat through the game but in Dante's case it's not so much git gud as be gud from the start. There is no learning curve for Dante. You don't learn things slowly and get introduced to the mechanics a few steps at a time, it's pretty much all in and it's disorienting, despite having played DMC3 before. I'll refer back to the Complex ≠ Dept pic. It's inefficient and only elitists seem to enjoy boosting about being good at it. I know because they keep telling me so and do I remember a time when I dedicated myself to getting good at the game but after dropping it to go play other things and returning to it years after I found myself struggling to do basic things again, things that instead of being a three button input (at most) for immediate effect is, instead, a sequence of buttons.

This is an issue I never have with DmC, Bayonetta or DMC3, which I've come to realize it's the better of the two games not just despite its limitations to the style system but because of them. What I'm trying to say is that ease of access is just as important as the moves you are given access to, which is why I rather have DmC combat over DMC4, just, you know, with all the moves both games omitted from 3, better animations, a lock on, better balanced weapons, that crunchy feel of impact DmC lacked and with nothing that is absolutely guaranteed to work every time, like the grapples. That creates complacency and over reliance. Just don't make it so that the enemies have absolutely zero chance against it. It's why Royal Guard isn't absolutely 100% effective 100% of the time and requires good timing.

Last edited:

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!

As anyone who's been critical of DmC I wouldn't want a direct copy of that game but that's not to say that it did nothing right. In fact, given the choice between a modified, improved and polished DmC system and another DMC4 system I'd pick a DmC one made by Itsuno. DMC4's combat for Nero is anemic while Dante's is pointlessly complex for the mere reason to have its roots in DMC3's style system.

Frankly, I don't want to see the style system return. In DMC4 you go from Nero's combat to Dante's, which is like going from a pool deep sea diving. You're missing a lot of instruction in between. You can learn Nero's combat through the game but in Dante's case it's not so much git gud as be gud from the start. There is no learning curve for Dante. You don't learn things slowly and get introduced to the mechanics a few steps at a time, it's pretty much all in and it's disorienting, despite played DMC3 before. I'll refer back to the Complex ≠ Dept pic. It's inefficient and only elitists seem to enjoy boosting about being good at it. I know because I remember a time when I dedicated myself to getting good at the game but after dropping it to go play other things and returning to it years after I found myself struggling to do basic things again, things that instead of being a three button input (at most) for immediate effect is, instead, a sequence of buttons.

This is an issue I never have with DmC, Bayonetta or DMC3, which I've come to realize it's the better of the two games not just despite its limitations to the style system but because of them. What I'm trying to say is that ease of access is just as important as the moves you are given access to, which is why I rather have DmC combat over DMC4, just, you know, with all the moves both games omitted from 3, better animations, a lock on, better balanced weapons, that crunchy feel of impact DmC lacked and with nothing that is absolutely guaranteed to work every time, like the grapples. That creates complacency and over reliance. Just don't make it so that the enemies have absolutely zero chance against it. It's why Royal Guard isn't absolutely 100% effective 100% of the time and requires good timing.

If one fear is having to go from Nero to Dante (getting used to Nero and having zero learning curve with Dante) there are a lot of heavy rumors alluding to there being separate campaigns so that wont be an issue so you there could be a dedicated learning curve for all 3 playable characters.

You described Nero as anemic but with DMC5 wont they have more time (and this time budget) to expand his combat while maintaining his accessibility?

Also, if you can modify DmC's combat to be more deep like DMC4 isnt just as possible to modify DMC4's combat to be more accessible (and Nero less anemic)? Fighting games like Tekken and Street Fighter alter their combat mechanics to be more accessible while maintaining the same combat system as when it first came out. Tekken 7 while being the most accessible in the series still managed to keep its 4 limb combat system from the very 1st game and even MvCI (for all its problems) manages to be the most accessible (and most fun) in the series while still playing like the previous games.

berto

I Saw the Devil
there are a lot of heavy rumors alluding to there being separate campaigns so that wont be an issue so you there could be a dedicated learning curve for all 3 playable characters.
Usually Id say don't put too much stock in rumors and how the hell would they know since the demo won't be on display for another 3 weeks but in this case the batting average has been unusually high on this game so nothing's off the table.

You described Nero as anemic but with DMC5 wont they have more time (and this time budget) to expand his combat while maintaining his accessibility?

Also, if you can modify DmC's combat to be more deep like DMC4 isnt just as possible to modify DMC4's combat to be more accessible (and Nero less anemic)?
Here's to hoping. Bottom line, if they can somehow make the style system work without it being so overly complicated I'd have no issue. If it was accessible I'd have no issue. Basically, if they manage to remove the complexity of it all I'd be no problemo but the rumors also say that the demons react differently to whichever style you have equipt so if true it means that Dante is going back to styles which, unless they changed it, means they would still be mapping the styles D-Pad. I'm not a fan of that, I know I've never mentioned it but I think I've suffered in silence long enough. Also, another reason I don't like it is because I think that the D-Pad would be best used to change weapons but for whatever reason since DMC4 they seem to have boner for being able to access all your weapons on the fly, which is good on paper, but then that means you only have as many weapons as you can access on the fly and I don't mind having to go to the pause menu is it means having butt load of more weapons choices as much as having fewer choices I don't have to go to the pause menu to get. It's too early to condam the whole thing so I'm not saying this is why I hate DMC5, just that I didn't like that about 4 and it concerns me that they'd want to bring it back.

Has anyone watched the Devil Trigger music video?
Yep. We actually got a thread going:
https://devilmaycry.org/forums/threads/heres-the-song-folks.22860/
There are a few other versions of the song in it if you scroll down.

Last edited:

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Usually Id say don't put too much stock in rumors and how the hell would they know since the demo won't be on display for another 3 weeks but in this case the batting average has been unusually high on this game so nothing's off the table.

Here's to hoping. Bottom line, if they can somehow make the style system work without it being so overly complicated I'd have no issue. If it was accessible I'd have no issue. Basically, if they manage to remove the complexity of it all I'd be no problemo but the rumors also say that the demons react differently to whichever style you have equipt so if true it means that Dante is going back to styles which, unless they changed it, means they would still be mapping the styles D-Pad. I'm not a fan of that, I know I've never mentioned it but I think I've suffered in silence long enough. Also, another reason I don't like it is because I think that the D-Pad would be best used to change weapons but for whatever reason since DMC4 they seem to have boner for being able to access all your weapons on the fly, which is good on paper, but then that means you only have as many weapons as you can access on the fly and I don't mind having to go to the pause menu is it means having butt load of more weapons choices as much as having fewer choices I don't have to go to the pause menu to get. It's too early to condam the whole thing so I'm not saying this is why I hate DMC5, just that I didn't like that about 4 and it concerns me that they'd want to bring it back.

Yep. We actually got a thread going:
https://devilmaycry.org/forums/threads/heres-the-song-folks.22860/
There are a few other versions of the song in it if you scroll down.

I find it funny that you consider my rumor as a rumor so it may not be true but you use a rumor to confirm your own biases. :D:D:D But that isn't important.

I think I heard about about the whole enemies reacting differently to each style. This game has a ton of rumors around it. In fact this game's very existence was a rumor and a lot of the rumors around the game seems to be true and/or is coming true so who knows at this point. The most common rumor I hear is that the game is a far improved version of DMC4's gamplay and it feels really good to play. So if that rumor is true perhaps (maybe) Capcom/Itsuno found a way to make the Style system more accessible to use.

You claim you assumed you don't think they reworked styles because you heard a pretty vague rumor that says enemies react to what style your using. That just alludes to the fact there are styles for enemies to react to and not how the Styles work. Like you said before perhaps we should wait for Gamescon and see what happens and not base our entire assumptions of the final product off rumors and vague interviews.

Plus the problem with DMC4 wasn't the Style System. The problem with DMC4 was the fact it was rushed and wasn't finished. The only thing stopping Capcom from giving Dante a lot of weapons isn't the Style System but Capcom themselves.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014

Frankly, I don't want to see the style system return. In DMC4 you go from Nero's combat to Dante's, which is like going from a pool deep sea diving. You're missing a lot of instruction in between. You can learn Nero's combat through the game but in Dante's case it's not so much git gud as be gud from the start. There is no learning curve for Dante. You don't learn things slowly and get introduced to the mechanics a few steps at a time, it's pretty much all in and it's disorienting, despite having played DMC3 before. I'll refer back to the Complex ≠ Dept pic. It's inefficient and only elitists seem to enjoy boosting about being good at it. I know because they keep telling me so and do I remember a time when I dedicated myself to getting good at the game but after dropping it to go play other things and returning to it years after I found myself struggling to do basic things again, things that instead of being a three button input (at most) for immediate effect is, instead, a sequence of buttons.

I feel completely oposite.Original DMC is one of the few games where I can pick it at any time and just enjoy it at any time, which is why it's my favorite action game. I honestly don't know where all those claims about complexity coming from, since DMC offered pretty fluid battle system with easy to learn hard to master. I haven't felt much difference between DMC3 and 4, except for 4 giving more on the fly controls and more fluid controls.
Personally I felt DmC combat system was unnecessary convoluted and I'm perfectly fine with them ditching it alltogether. Especially since I feel it relies to much on failed color gimmick. It wasn't enjoyable it was only finger-breaking, especially when you have to combine 4 buttons together. The only reason why DmC was playable in my opinion is because how streamlined was combat. You barely came into situation where you needed to instantly react or didn't had windows to do as you please.
Overall, I'm pretty happy they concentrating themselves on the original games combat, since I find it more enjoyable.

berto

I Saw the Devil
@Stylish Nero
I think you misunderstood what that first sentence was implying.

you consider my rumor as a rumor so it may not be true
No, actually, what I said was the exact opposite of that. I said that usually I’d tell you not to rely on rumors because they tend not be unfounded but in this case there have been a lot that have turned out to be true and I used the metaphor 'high batting average,' meaning the bat connects with the ball a lot. In other words what I was implying was that usually rumors aren’t to be relied upon as solid sources of information but seeing how all the ones related to this topic have rung true they aren’t to be dismissed so easily.

but you use a rumor to confirm your own biases.
Yes, because, as I said, rumors surrounding this game have a higher batting average than most.

on't know where all those claims about complexity coming from
The style and combo vid community.

I felt DmC combat system was unnecessary convoluted and I'm perfectly fine with them ditching it alltogether. Especially since I feel it relies to much on failed color gimmick
This is true. I agree that the Angel/Demon system is not exactly that great, specially because it gave birth to color coded enemies, but the way it gave you access to all the moves in an immediate fashion, that's what I want out of it. For example, in DmC, if you want, lets say, to close the distance between you and a tall or currently aerial opponent; Angel dash → Do combo. In Bayonetta it's double tap lock-on to teleport → Perform combo. That or double tap dodge → Panther jump to enemy → Combo. In DMC4, though, it's select Trickster → Sky Star or teleport → Select Swordmaster → Perform combo. That's 2 steps too many for me. In DMC3 it's also teleport or Sky Star and attack with whichever weapon, unless you don't have Trickster equipped, then you just can't, but as long as I know what I can and can't do right then and there, I'm ok with that, I'll work around it. The way DMC4 has it set up is like there is a pause between actions. I'm just not a fan.

Top Bottom