• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Frame Consistancy

Devil Triigger

Play outside the box
I've played the game on xbox 360 and PS3. The xbox version has a decently steady framerate of 30, but the ps3 version however... ohh dear

Gbraga

Woah dude...calm down. It sucks they halved the framerate, but you're going overboard saying their insulting you and ****ting on the fanbase. They're inconveniences sure, but you make it seem like they did it just to spite us, and that's just wrong. And the people who really care about the game are anyone who will come back to it, not just those that make videos about it five years later - you can't speak for everyone in those regards.

I guess this game is supposed to give you a different experience than the other DMCs, one where the story and environment are put forward along with the gameplay, instead of just simply being a game where people can show off their skills :/
Well, I can't experience any story from the demo, only gameplay, and that's what I can comment about.

If I'm supposed to judge the story by the demo, then it's garbage. I didn't mind the F*CK YOOOOU parts during trailers, but Poison's lines during the actual fight were pathetic.

ChaserTech

If I'm supposed to judge the story by the demo, then it's garbage. I didn't mind the F*CK YOOOOU parts during trailers, but Poison's lines during the actual fight were pathetic.

I thought the Poison fight had horribly immature dialog. If NT really thought it would be a good idea to remove taunts just because "it conflicts with the narrative story", they need to rethink a lot of ideas then.

AngelMode

However NT better fix the hitboxes that are within the game. Half of them do not make any sense at all.

Framerate problems don't even compare to the hitbox problems. The combat engine is weird, and you can't just say "oh well, just remember the hitboxes" because they are never alike. Sometimes an enemy can hit me from a million miles away even if Dante was never inside the slash animation, and the reverse is also true, there are times I've seen Dante get hit and nothing happens. I dunno if the game automatically expands hitboxes in order for things to land better or what... because that would be messed up.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I thought the Poison fight had horribly immature dialog. If NT really thought it would be a good idea to remove taunts just because "it conflicts with the narrative story", they need to rethink a lot of ideas then.

You're ignoring the significance there. Removing taunts was done so that Dante wouldn't be all "Yeah! WOOHOO C'MON!" at times when the narrative is supposed to have Dante being sullen or serious.

The dialogue itself is different from the element of sounding cheeky. Poison's dialogues is really immature, yeah, but it's part of the narrative that she's this vile and disgusting thing that you're just not supposed to like.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Framerate problems don't even compare to the hitbox problems. The combat engine is weird, and you can't just say "oh well, just remember the hitboxes" because they are never alike. Sometimes an enemy can hit me from a million miles away even if Dante was never inside the slash animation, and the reverse is also true, there are times I've seen Dante get hit and nothing happens. I dunno if the game automatically expands hitboxes in order for things to land better or what... because that would be messed up.

God, it's so weird to hear these things, because I have been having no problems like that at all :/ I know my reach and that of the enemies' and it really hasn't failed me once :s

ChaserTech

You're ignoring the significance there. Removing taunts was done so that Dante wouldn't be all "Yeah! WOOHOO C'MON!" at times when the narrative is supposed to have Dante being sullen or serious.

If Capcom/NT thought this necessary, I'm surprised that they didn't remove taunts a long time ago. Considering that taunts existed from 1-4. I don't see how taunts change anything major. It's like saying "Oh we didn't put costumes in DMC4 because it would conflict with the character's personality and original concept designs." Although it would have been nice if selectable costumes existed. But those who hold the PC version of the game can download mods to install to change the look of the game.

Point being, it doesn't hurt to have taunts in the game. It doesn't change anything major and no casual player (who loves the franchise) would care about having taunts conflict with the story.

The dialogue itself is different from the element of sounding cheeky. Poison's dialogues is really immature, yeah, but it's part of the narrative that she's this vile and disgusting thing that you're just not supposed to like.

Just because you're not supposed to like Poison doesn't mean you're not supposed to have bad dialogue in the story. I get that she is a disgusting creature, I completely understand that. But having Dante and Poison saying "**** you, no **** you!" back and forth is like watching teenagers argue.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
If Capcom/NT thought this necessary, I'm surprised that they didn't remove taunts a long time ago. Considering that taunts existed from 1-4. I don't see how taunts change anything major. It's like saying "Oh we didn't put costumes in DMC4 because it would conflict with the character's personality and original concept designs." Although it would have been nice if selectable costumes existed. But those who hold the PC version of the game can download mods to install to change the look of the game.

Point being, it doesn't hurt to have taunts in the game. It doesn't change anything major and no casual player (who loves the franchise) would care about having taunts conflict with the story.

Just because you're not supposed to like Poison doesn't mean you're not supposed to have bad dialogue in the story. I get that she is a disgusting creature, I completely understand that. But having Dante and Poison saying "**** you, no **** you!" back and forth is like watching teenagers argue.

That's...dumb. I'm sorry. They removed them specifically in DmC because DmC's entire purpose was to be a more narrative-driven game. Story always took a back seat to gameplay in the classics, but they specifically made DmC to be a marriage of gameplay and story, and in doing so, they removed Taunting so that it didn't break the narrative flow. It doesn't matter what you think about casual players and whether it changes anything, but they felt it did, and I would agree with them. Seriously, think about the idea behind it. Think about watching some drama show on TV, and then one of the characters just yelling "Cowabunga deeeewds!" It completely destroys the tone the scene was supposed to have. In that way, Taunts would have conflicted with the story, and that's a decision they made in order to keep the narrative's integrity intact. DmC's story is supposed to be a bit more serious than other DMCs in tone, and if they kept taunts in, they just wouldn't be able to hit that mark. If you can't understand that this is trying to be different then there's nothing I can really tell you...

I still say they could have created scripted Taunts for specific scenes, though, to keep the mechanic, and the narrative intact :/

And there's a specific tone being set there by Poison's dialogue - that the demons are assholes, gigantic, putrid, worthless assholes who care little about anyone but themselves, and they don't particularly care to clean up their act around others. Yeah, we get it, Poison is as juvenile as they come, but how are you supposed to get that across without giving her some really juvenile dialogue.

I hate to constantly bring this up, but I am a writer, and there are a lot of difficulties that come from trying to set and keep tones in scenes and in characters. There's really no way to show how worthless, juvenile, and putrid someone like Poison is without modifying their dialogue as such. Personality is everything when it comes to getting tones correct on a character, and simple actions can betray that tone, that's why dialogue can be an important part of a character.

People don't like Poison, and that's good, because I think that's what they were going for.

Paexie

Remember Enslaved has Monkey say "HEY" whenever you want... and it's really freaking funny when they are in a tight situation (like the dog mech in the theater) and he's all "You gottah stay low... be quiet." and then you all of a sudden go "HEY HEY HHHEEEEY". lmao
My favorite part is the part where he says... hey!

Now imagine this in DmC after talking about Eva's demise.... "HEEEEY!!!"

Grey-Frog

It's worth saying that it's that attitude that will prevent video games from ever truly maturing. Even serious movies are allowed to have immature characters that have dialogue break down into an argument with cursing and insults. Heck, some of the most classic movies in the world have characters who talk like sailors. But video games aren't allowed the freedom to even have one exchange that has swearing; because it would be immature to admit characters are flawed and that unlikable characters should sometimes act completely reprehensible.

Pretending immaturity doesn't exist or that a character who's had a hard life and a bad upbringing might just be prone to swearing is what is truly immature. If video games are going to mature they need to be able to approach any subject matter. I'm not saying cursing should be widespread; but it shouldn't used a reason to hate DmC just because it is used.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
It's worth saying that it's that attitude that will prevent video games from ever truly maturing. Even serious movies are allowed to have immature characters that have dialogue break down into an argument with cursing and insults. Heck, some of the most classic movies in the world have characters who talk like sailors. But video games aren't allowed the freedom to even have one exchange that has swearing; because it would be immature to admit characters are flawed and that unlikable characters should sometimes act completely reprehensible.

Pretending immaturity doesn't exist or that a character who's had a hard life and a bad upbringing might just be prone to swearing is what is truly immature. If video games are going to mature they need to be able to approach any subject matter. I'm not saying cursing should be widespread; but it shouldn't used a reason to hate DmC just because it is used.

Wish I could like this more than once :C

8BitHero

Scrub

Exactly...like when did gamers SUDDENLY become the most mature people out there? You mean:
When I play Gears 3 and I get rage text/voiced mailed full of swearing
When I body a scrub on a fighting game and get swearing back
When I play RE4 and have my head severed off
When I see someone being teabagged in Halo [insert number here]
When I pull Scorpions skull and spine out in Mortal Kombat

But oooOOOooh we have swearing and this game is baaaaaad.

However back on topic:
I'll have to post a video on my frame rate dropping. I constantly restart the same area (Chainsaw fountain) in the demo somewhere around 100 times or at the beginning and the frame rate is HORRID! Running less than 12 FPS AND the delay is so bad that if I mash attack it reads it as me holding the button down. It's terrible at times. (Xbox 360).

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I think people don't like it because that's not what DMC used to have. Aside from annual impalements and whatever else constituted there "extreme violence and gore" warning at the start of the games >.<

chocolatepanda

I think it was said somewhere that the f word wasnt really used too often so i dont think we'll he a bunch of f u through outthe game but i could be wrong. When it comes to taunts they could've put a few different sets of them in the game that were mission specific so once u reach a certain point in the game his taunts become more serious to match the tone of the game.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
No, it's true. I remember them saying F*ck doesn't get spouted a whole lot. It's entirely possible all the instances we know about - Poison, "Get your filthy f*cking claw off my trailer," writing F*ck You on the nightclub list, "You don't f*ck with a God," and "Get the f*ck down here, Lilith," are the only instances we ever actually hear it, maybe a few other random spots :p

ChaserTech

That's...dumb. I'm sorry. They removed them specifically in DmC because DmC's entire purpose was to be a more narrative-driven game. Story always took a back seat to gameplay in the classics, but they specifically made DmC to be a marriage of gameplay and story, and in doing so, they removed Taunting so that it didn't break the narrative flow. It doesn't matter what you think about casual players and whether it changes anything, but they felt it did, and I would agree with them. Seriously, think about the idea behind it. Think about watching some drama show on TV, and then one of the characters just yelling "Cowabunga deeeewds!" It completely destroys the tone the scene was supposed to have. In that way, Taunts would have conflicted with the story, and that's a decision they made in order to keep the narrative's integrity intact. DmC's story is supposed to be a bit more serious than other DMCs in tone, and if they kept taunts in, they just wouldn't be able to hit that mark. If you can't understand that this is trying to be different then there's nothing I can really tell you...

I understand where you're coming from. I'm not trying to be stupid here. I'm merely voicing my opinion and what I think that regular, casual players would care about when playing a DMC franchise since I encounter a good amount of them. I personally believe that taunts don't affect the story at all. If I wanted to be fully immerse in a narrative story in which I feel so limited with my inputs already, I'd watch a movie and push buttons on a controller.

I can live without taunts. It's just hearing that the only reason why they remove taunting was it "was going to conflict with the narrative story" REALLY gets under my skin when I'm sure no one cares if taunting conflicts with a story. It just ****es me off.

Also, apparently in DMC2 they actually removed taunting because they: "did not fit with the direction of Dante's new personality." However it returned to later games. So at this point I'm kinda confused even though this is a reboot.

And another thing, in the Home Truth demo that was shown, Dante seemed to show some sort of emotion while he was walking in his house. I can only tell that it was emotional to him to at least some degree. After that he fights a few demons and sees a picture of his father, Sparda. (in which he seemed a bit confused) Then he just gets a new weapon and says "HELL YEAH!" and proceeds to fight another wave of demons. That kinda threw a curve ball at me.

I still say they could have created scripted Taunts for specific scenes, though, to keep the mechanic, and the narrative intact :/

I can see that happening. It would be nice to implement.

And there's a specific tone being set there by Poison's dialogue - that the demons are assholes, gigantic, putrid, worthless assholes who care little about anyone but themselves, and they don't particularly care to clean up their act around others. Yeah, we get it, Poison is as juvenile as they come, but how are you supposed to get that across without giving her some really juvenile dialogue.

I hate to constantly bring this up, but I am a writer, and there are a lot of difficulties that come from trying to set and keep tones in scenes and in characters. There's really no way to show how worthless, juvenile, and putrid someone like Poison is without modifying their dialogue as such. Personality is everything when it comes to getting tones correct on a character, and simple actions can betray that tone, that's why dialogue can be an important part of a character.

People don't like Poison, and that's good, because I think that's what they were going for.

Exactly...like when did gamers SUDDENLY become the most mature people out there? You mean:
When I play Gears 3 and I get rage text/voiced mailed full of swearing
When I body a scrub on a fighting game and get swearing back
When I play RE4 and have my head severed off
When I see someone being teabagged in Halo [insert number here]
When I pull Scorpions skull and spine out in Mortal Kombat

But oooOOOooh we have swearing and this game is baaaaaad.

There's nothing wrong with having immature dialog every now and then, immature dialogue can be comical if done well. But I feel as if the dialogue has been changed entirely from what is necessary to what is in the media. This is how I feel about the dialogue that I've seen so far. I wouldn't mind the swearing if it wasn't so tossed into the story so loosely when it had no need for an excess amount of swearing.

Also I never said it was immature in the first place. Although it was possibly implied, all I said is that sounded like two teenagers arguing. Please don't put words in my mouth.

Remember Enslaved has Monkey say "HEY" whenever you want... and it's really freaking funny when they are in a tight situation (like the dog mech in the theater) and he's all "You gottah stay low... be quiet." and then you all of a sudden go "HEY HEY HHHEEEEY". lmao
My favorite part is the part where he says... hey!

Now imagine this in DmC after talking about Eva's demise.... "HEEEEY!!!"

Now that's funny. lol

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Also, apparently in DMC2 they actually removed taunting because they: "did not fit with the direction of Dante's new personality." However it returned to later games. So at this point I'm kinda confused even though this is a reboot.

And in that one, Dante didn't seem at all like the kind of guy who would spout cheesy one-liners. DMC3 and 4 brought back a Dante with a personality that fit that.

And another thing, in the Home Truth demo that was shown, Dante seemed to show some sort of emotion while he was walking in his house. I can only tell that it was emotional to him to at least some degree. After that he fights a few demons and sees a picture of his father, Sparda. (in which he seemed a bit confused) Then he just gets a new weapon and says "HELL YEAH!" and proceeds to fight another wave of demons. That kinda threw a curve ball at me.

That's a bit different than probably their main reason - emotional battle like those with Vergil. He's got some emotion when he's going through the mansion, but then he's also fighting random demons. Put Dante in an extremely emotional situation, like fighting against his own brother, and having him spout out a generic "C'MAWN WIMP!" kinda taunt would be like...just...ugh.

Scripted taunts would have been fantastic T_T It's even worse because Dante does say random things during combat that fit with the current narrative, so it would have been great if those were his Taunts. It's like...they were almost there! Just put it on a button!

There's nothing wrong with having immature dialog every now and then, immature dialogue can be comical if done well.

I dunno what you mean by that, but if you were expecting Poison's dialogue to be comical, you're looking in the wrong place >.<

ChaserTech

I dunno what you mean by that, but if you were expecting Poison's dialogue to be comical, you're looking in the wrong place >_<

If the dialogue wasn't meant to be slightly comical, then what's the purpose of it? To remind us of how disgusting Poison is? We can already tell that she's a vile creature just by visuals.
She's a pulsating, blob-like demon with disfigured features. Not to mention she constantly throws up all over the place. If you have to reassure the nature of Poison by adding poorly constructed dialogue, then something is wrong. Especially if the dialogue wasn't meant to be humorous.

I'll admit though, I am drawing a lot of conclusions from a few videos. But I can't help it.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
If the dialogue wasn't meant to be slightly comical, then what's the purpose of it? To remind us of how disgusting Poison is? We can already tell that she's a vile creature just by visuals.
She's a pulsating, blob-like demon with disfigured features. Not to mention she constantly throws up all over the place. If you have to reassure the nature of Poison by adding poorly constructed dialogue, then something is wrong. Especially if the dialogue wasn't meant to be humorous.

I'll admit though, I am drawing a lot of conclusions from a few videos. But I can't help it.

The purpose was probably as I had said before - it gets her vile personality across. She's an ugly-ass slug bug thinger, but she could have been a swell lady. Looks can be deceiving. Although just not in this case, her appearance matches her personality.

The game isn't meant to be comical, or have comical overtones, it's a more serious game with a light sprinkling of over-the-top scenes and a bit of humor - Poison not being one of those times. Giving Poison "poorly constructed" dialogue is the point of her character :/ She's a vile and worthless demon whose sentences degrade into disgusting intentions and expletives when she's angry.

I think the big problem is that they released all this stuff with Poison, and everyone is judging the rest of the game on it. While it's stupid that NT made her such a large part of marketing in that area, it's equally stupid to bash the game and say Poison's dialogue is a perfect representation of the rest of the writing, when it clearly isn't, and most of it is contained into only those scenes with Poison. Especially to slam the entire game's writing for having one vile character with a clear vulgarity to her dialogue. Oh noes~ Mammy, she said bad words and they hurt my adult ears.

It's also funny to have a lot of the people against the game have to be associated with a select few who do nothing but spout expletives and vulgarity of their own :p A comment of "This game sucks because it has vulgarity" next to a post of "This F*CKING game is a piece of SH*T and this Donte is an EMO P*SSY F*GGOT!" doesn't help matters >.<

Grey-Frog

Also I never said it was immature in the first place. Although it was possibly implied, all I said is that sounded like two teenagers arguing. Please don't put words in my mouth.

Never said you did mate, I'm saying that it is immature to say games can't go there. It wasn't directed at you anymore than anybody else here. You just happened to bring up the topic but I was replying generally (that's why I didn't quote anyone).

There's nothing wrong with having immature dialog every now and then, immature dialogue can be comical if done well. But I feel as if the dialogue has been changed entirely from what is necessary to what is in the media. This is how I feel about the dialogue that I've seen so far. I wouldn't mind the swearing if it wasn't so tossed into the story so loosely when it had no need for an excess amount of swearing.

But that's the thing too; immature dialogue doesn't even have to be comical. It can be serious and threatening. I'm not talking about DmC; just in general. It's a tool that can be used to fill many needs. As for being tossed loosely or an excess amount... well; firstly I'd argue that we don't know if there IS an excess amount but I think you already addressed this above talking to someone else. But more importantly; it's all about context. Once again; plenty of very serious very adult movies use large amount of cursing in a very serious way and can pull it off. Others use it in a very immature way and can't pull it off. DmC might just be either of those. I don't know.

But everyone is different. There's no reason you have to like what Dante or Poison says; you're more than free to think that. Personally it doesn't bother me yet (depends on what it is like in the full game). I myself was more offended in DMC4 when Dante out of no where recited a poem that was basically about intercourse and orgasms.

Top Bottom