• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Frame Consistancy

majeh116

So the game is supposed to be consistently 30 frames per second and I hear opions as diverse as its always consistent to it will be at 30 on the secret missions if your lucky. Who has it one way or the other since mine is 30 in game play and horrible in cut scenes.

ZeroLove

I'm not sure what it is you are asking... is it that it is not always 30fps, like, are you experiencing lag or something in the demo during secret missions or cutscenes? Is that the problem?

majeh116

I'm not sure what it is you are asking... is it that it is not always 30fps, like, are you experiencing lag or something in the demo during secret missions or cutscenes? Is that the problem?
my question is are you people finding that the game runs at consistently 30 fps or is that inconsistent for you

ZeroLove

my question is are you people finding that the game runs at consistently 30 fps or is that inconsistent for you

So basically if people experience lag or tearing in the demo. Alright, just making sure we are on the same level here. :p

So far, no, I haven't. There's been some sound issues during the trailers, the sound slipping a second when Vergil makes his speech against the demons, but that's all I've experienced. The demo runs smoothly on my end. ^^

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I have no framerate drops on my PS3 demo at all during gameplay. Cutscenes are another matter, but it's not a severe dip, just a slight drop. Actually, now that I think about it, those skips aren't from framerate problems with the video, but some sort of loading hiccup between the game and the console trying to load data. And it's only ever the sound that skips, and only when the little circle at the top-right of the screen is spinning >.<

Dante47

Yeah. The combat feels very smooth. Cutscenses have a minor dip every now and then, but otherwise it's good.

scionicspectre

I get the feeling that the cutscenes are set to 24 to make them seem more cinematic. I've seen plenty of games do this.

I've only played the PS3 version of course, and I'd say that in one or two cutscenes it got obviously choppy for a second or two. It doesn't bug me much, since it seems intentional and it doesn't happen during gameplay.

The real issue I have is that the lighting is different on the PS3. There is a scene after Dante jumps through two walls where you see a closeup of Dante's eyes, and there is some serious banding across his face in the PS3 version where there is none in the other videos I've seen. Hope it's not just my PS3, but it's a fairly minor issue, honestly. So long as it doesn't interrupt gameplay or cramp the feel of the story, I don't care.

ChaserTech

I get the feeling that the cutscenes are set to 24 to make them seem more cinematic. I've seen plenty of games do this.

That's an actual tactic these days? I find it to be weird. Mainly because it takes away the smoothness from the game and it makes it seem as if your PS3 is having a hard time handling the game.

Whether this is intentional or not, I don't like frame dips in cut-scenes.

Paexie

I only care for the dips in combat and after playing the same two missions for so long (currently 58 upgrade points) there has been none of that. The only thing that's distracting for me is the block shadows and the occasional missing sound.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Are you playing on PS3, too Paexie? I think I know what you mean about block shadows. That saddens me just a bit, considering there is no problem on 360 versions :(

I looked at my savefile for the demo, and I'm at 35 hours and some change :p

scionicspectre

Yeah, that's one thing that bugged the hell outta' me, at least on the PS3 demo. While the game autosaves (symbol in the upper-right corner), the audio goes mute for a brief time, and this happens during the intro and exit cutscenes. One of my friends hadn't seen any footage of the game and this silenced part of Vergil's dialog, making him quite confused.

As long as that doesn't happen in the full game, we're good. It's a pretty obvious bug, so I'm guessing it won't.

Paexie

Yep I'm playing on the PS3. Enslaved doesn't have these weird lighting problems so I hope it's the same for the full game.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I don't think it will, since those portions aren't part of the normal game, and the rest of it seems to run fine. Otherwise, if you push the PS button to open the XMB, it'll continue to save, but pauses the cutscenes. Found that out a bit ago.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
I have no framerate drops on my PS3 demo at all during gameplay. Cutscenes are another matter, but it's not a severe dip, just a slight drop. Actually, now that I think about it, those skips aren't from framerate problems with the video, but some sort of loading hiccup between the game and the console trying to load data. And it's only ever the sound that skips, and only when the little circle at the top-right of the screen is spinning >_<

I had this too on the PS3, the framerate was fine in the gameplay, but it dipped during cutscenes (Poison's cutscene having the worst hiccups). Granted the dips aren't as bad as Enslaved had, but you notice it when skipping from smooth framerate in gameplay to a not-so-smooth framerate that the cutscenes offer. Then there was issues with the shadows that were distracting and in a bad way. For example the cool close-up of Dante's eyes after he's made the jump through the crushing buildings was practically ruined because of those blocky shadows on his face textures, along with a other moments too (I don't think this issue is carried over on the Xbox360 though).

This does worry me, but I am glad they've made sure the gameplay doesn't suffer from framerate dips. I just hope they can fix framerate on the cutscenes or polish them up a little before the game's release. Imagine if Resident Evil 6 had that in it's cutscenes, they'd be distracting as hell.

But, if it is just loading hiccups, shouldn't the game just take a moment to pause and load them? I'd gladly op for old school and wait a few seconds on a dark screen if it meant the framerate stayed steady throughout the cutscenes. But if worse came to worse they could just always pre-record the cutscenes rather than have in-game ones. I'd hate to score this game lower than should just because of those dips. I'm a gamer for story :lol: I can't help it.

I didn't have any audio problems though :blink: not yet anyway.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
The only audio problems seem to come from the loading screen, and the beginning of the pre-rendered trailer and the demo's opening.

But yeah, it has never dipped during combat, and has stayed consistently smooth throughout, even when a crap-ton of stuff was happening.

LeoXCV

Single life for life
On 360 I never had any framerate drop in cutscenes, but I did have a few short but heavy framerate drops in combat. Not many, not even in moments with a lot of enemies or stuff going on, just randomly. Could just be my 360 struggling though, especially after 4 1/2 years of heavy gaming on it :p

AngelMode

It has dipped during combat on me twice. I can't remember the first time really well but the second time was at the beginning of the Under Watch level. I remember fighting a bunch of enemies (I think it was during the chainsaw dude is out in SoS mode) I walked back towards the gate where you came from originally and the framerate dropped considerably. It lasted for like a second or two but it was enough to make me stop attacking and back away for a second. Otherwise, combat is smooth.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
What are you playing on again AngelMode?

I'm starting to wonder if it's the consoles themselves, because it seems quite inconsistent for it to happen to some and not others. It'd make way more sense if it was happening to everyone >.<

I have the PS3, and I've had it since launch, but it still only ever dips slightly during certain cutscenes, and only for a split-second, but never during combat.

Curiouser and curiouser.

AngelMode

What are you playing on again AngelMode?

I'm starting to wonder if it's the consoles themselves, because it seems quite inconsistent for it to happen to some and not others. It'd make way more sense if it was happening to everyone >_<

I have the PS3, and I've had it since launch, but it still only ever dips slightly during certain cutscenes, and only for a split-second, but never during combat.

Curiouser and curiouser.

That happened on the 360. I like how the cutscenes look on my 360 better than my PS3.

My 360 runs games perfectly fine though, and the frame dip wasn't that horrible. It was just like a two or three skips and then it went back to normal, the first time it happened was just a quick skip.

And I dunno if this was frame issues as much as it was a glitch but I once used Drop with the arbiter and Dante froze in place but I could hear the move happening in the background and then suddenly the enemy in front of me flew up in the air as if it had been hit by it. It was the coolest thing.

Still, 99.9% of the time the combat is just fine for me so that's good enough. Better than any other game I have played in the past 3 years maybe...

Top Bottom