• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Frame Consistancy

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I'm just wondering...is it possible they don't have the 30fps lock on the demo? I don't know how much something like that would take up, but is it possible the setting may have been left out to reduce the demo's data size, for easier downloading or something? I'd imagine not, since...well...I can't imagine something like that taking up too much space.

It still seems really inconsistent with there never having been any others problems with this elsewhere.

ChaserTech

I'm just wondering...is it possible they don't have the 30fps lock on the demo? I don't know how much something like that would take up, but is it possible the setting may have been left out to reduce the demo's data size, for easier downloading or something? I'd imagine not, since...well...I can't imagine something like that taking up too much space.

It still seems really inconsistent with there never having been any others problems with this elsewhere.

It was explained earlier. Plus it's not surprising that the PS3 can't handle a constant stream of 30fps for the DmC demo since there are other games that have fps lag. Mass Effect 3 is another decent example from what I've heard. Even in UMVC3, certain moves will cause a lot of framedrops.

But the one game I had A LOT of frame rate issues was Sonic Unleashed for the PS3. There's a good amount of frame drops in that game in certain locations. And I'm sure it isn't just me since I've read up on forums about the game and it was shown that PS3 had more problems than the Xbox 360 as well as looking at videos for the game.

8BitHero

Scrub
It was explained earlier. Plus it's not surprising that the PS3 can't handle a constant stream of 30fps for the DmC demo since there are other games that have fps lag. Mass Effect 3 is another decent example from what I've heard. Even in UMVC3, certain moves will cause a lot of framedrops.

But the one game I had A LOT of frame rate issues was Sonic Unleashed for the PS3. There's a good amount of frame drops in that game in certain locations. And I'm sure it isn't just me since I've read up on forums about the game and it was shown that PS3 had more problems than the Xbox 360 as well as looking at videos for the game.
Thankfully the only frames that drop in UMvC3 are the hypers. SF4 slightly unstable frame rate on PS3 whereas the Xbox 360 is the best version. (This is the opposite for Tekken 6).

PS3 is usually the one with a poor frame rate on games; as you mentioned, but I didn't have any trouble on the PS3. However, the PS3 has a constantly bad FPS during cutscenes. Really distracting, the graphics look better though slightly washed out colours and the shading on Dantes face is pretty bad (especially on the third section where it's upclose on his face). The Xbox 360 issue I had is after restarting around 20+ times and doing combos. I would expect that when the full game comes out, these won't be an issue (much like RE6's first demo). I've got one thing left on the PS3 to try though.

Edit: I just got it to work on PS3...and it's even worse!

8BitHero

Scrub
I'll have to try that out sometime.
Do you restart the mission completely or do you just restart from the checkpoint?
Just the checkpoint. kept doing combos and restarting. I don't have component cables for my PS3 so I couldn't use a capture card, but my camera still showed off how bad it is on PS3 (I press the home button to confirm to th viewer it's a real PS3)

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Last time I heard something about the gameplay's framerate dropping, it was near that same point in the level; right back where you start.

I wonder if maybe it has something to do with that particular spot...? Because it was doin' okay when you were out near the street, as soon as you walked into that starting spot, though, lag-city. Hrrrmmmmm :/

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
I hadh same issues on mine demo copy on PS3. On some of cutscenes was surely lag time what maked me go raging but I suddenly rerembered that this thing is only demo version not full game. Of course this given me distaste as I played some other demos on PS3 and I never seen in thems similiar lags. Im only praying that lag issue not came into final version, I will be not suprised if it stay and make people rage on forums that in full version are lags in cutscenes.

ChaserTech

Just the checkpoint. kept doing combos and restarting. I don't have component cables for my PS3 so I couldn't use a capture card, but my camera still showed off how bad it is on PS3 (I press the home button to confirm to th viewer it's a real PS3)

Hmm, now that I think about it, I wonder if it's a checkpoint error.

By checkpoint error, I mean if you continously restart from a checkpoint, does the demo "saves" data that is loaded from the checkpoint and stores it there? (idk this is just a random guess so sorry if I sound dumb).

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Well, the demo does save every time you restart, because the game counts a restart as a death in the Mission score, which means it makes a record of it.

ChaserTech

Well, the demo does save every time you restart, because the game counts a restart as a death in the Mission score, which means it makes a record of it.

Well I just recently tried this, and it works.

You fight the first wave of enemies and just restart the mission right afterwards. Do it about 5 times and you'll begin to notice it. (Don't kill all the enemies)

EDIT: Turns out, the lag that's being caused by it is (and I'm not joking) the lamp posts in the checkpoint area. The area that I was in got really laggy during a combo and then I accidently hit the lamp post and I noticed that the frames were stable again. I recreated the glitch several times and now I'm positive that it's the lamp post.

If you see in the video posted, you'll noticed it starts lagging RIGHT when the street lights appear in view in the checkpoint area.

Gbraga

I'm a little late for the taunt discussion, but still wanted to give my opinion. Just removing taunts is a lazy alternative. Why not just remove them during those serious fights or whatever? Or make Dante's taunt animations and lines change depending on where he is narrative-wise?

So I can't taunt on Bloody Palace because Dante is sad during some story segment? Bullshit.

8BitHero

Scrub
Well I just recently tried this, and it works.

You fight the first wave of enemies and just restart the mission right afterwards. Do it about 5 times and you'll begin to notice it. (Don't kill all the enemies)

EDIT: Turns out, the lag that's being caused by it is (and I'm not joking) the lamp posts in the checkpoint area. The area that I was in got really laggy during a combo and then I accidently hit the lamp post and I noticed that the frames were stable again. I recreated the glitch several times and now I'm positive that it's the lamp post.

If you see in the video posted, you'll noticed it starts lagging RIGHT when the street lights appear in view in the checkpoint area.
I figured that out too on my Xbox video, just forgot to post the most important finding about it. No idea why that happens, but it's essentially a glitch then rather than a "game struggling" problem. In my Xbox video it's caused by the other lampost. I also know of another area to do this but I have noidea what's causing it there.

LeoXCV

Single life for life
Maybe each time you load a checkpoint the game doesn't actually delete the lamp post and adds another one from the restart. With enough lamps inside lamps the object collision might be causing the lag. Though it's not 100% certainty that's my best shot at explaining it.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Maybe each time you load a checkpoint the game doesn't actually delete the lamp post and adds another one from the restart. With enough lamps inside lamps the object collision might be causing the lag. Though it's not 100% certainty that's my best shot at explaining it.

That's a pretty interesting theory. There are point in games when stuff like that happens, where you restart and objects from the previous playthrough remain. It doesn't happen often, but it's odd when it does.

8BitHero

Scrub
That's a pretty interesting theory. There are point in games when stuff like that happens, where you restart and objects from the previous playthrough remain. It doesn't happen often, but it's odd when it does.
It doesn't happen often but as I stated earlier, I like to restart that part of the mission to practice combos. I don't understand how this got past testing since game testers are supposed to replay areas multiple times, and the fact I(anyone) can get it to work on PS3 and Xbox means it's a problem. I don't intentionally make the game look bad but it was a legitimate problem for me. If the full game comes out and this happens, that's going to be a big problem. It's what DMC players do. Make a mistake? Restart an area. Enemy spawning wrong? Restart area an area. Drop the combo? Restart etc etc.

The PS3 BETTER have improved frame rate (and shading) during cutscenes because that was terrible when I played it. Would be a shame to let that go for PS3 users.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
It could be something that only happens in the demo, because of how it's not the full game. I'm not too sure they'd put a lot of QA time (if any) into the demo since it's coming from parts of the game that were already cleared by QA in the full game. I don't think demos get too much QA to begin with.

That'd be my guess.

8BitHero

Scrub
It could be something that only happens in the demo, because of how it's not the full game. I'm not too sure they'd put a lot of QA time (if any) into the demo since it's coming from parts of the game that were already cleared by QA in the full game. I don't think demos get too much QA to begin with.

That'd be my guess.
I didn't take that in actually, good point! Most likely an early demo from last E3 or something anyway.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Well, I think this is probably the most recent demo, because there's never been multiple difficulties. Otherwise it was the one used in that Sony event - still the most recent.

This is why I'm still a little wary about "this game is ****, look at all these bugs," because it's still just bugs in the demo, and not the actual game. So there's still a lot of wiggle room.

scionicspectre

Some wiggle room. I wouldn't say any big architectural changes will happen to the code, probably only small glitches. People who have been hoping they'll make a dramatic change are going to be disappointed.

Top Bottom