• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Does anybody still call the reboot Dante "emo?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
@TWOxACROSS- to be fair, it did sort of look like makeup in the "lineup shot"
Dante_dmc_2010.jpg
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120923082159/devilmaycry/images/1/12/Dante_dmc_2010.jpg

but I think fans were just making a mountain into a molehill about it

Myeh, looks like bruises to me, along with cuts. Them thinking it was make up was only marginally less stupid than people complaining he looked like he was a druggy, and not someone who just finished up a rumble.

Funny? How do you mean? Don't get me wrong, I didn't like the Dante in that trailer, so I probably complained about it. That said, it's better than what we got in the end. At least the Dante from that trailer looked a bit more intelligent to me. I also get the sense that he would've made for a more interesting character... that is, if he had some more defining traits. Say, if he were bisexual or something - that would work well with his disdain for religion, and it *could* make the story around him more interesting. Also, if he had some problems in the past, as in trust issues when it comes to humans. Or maybe that he's coping with chronic depression. In DmC, Dante is just a guy p*ssed off at demons for hunting him. The final version of new Dante also looks too... regular. Aside from being sort of an ass, he's not too memorable to me. I'm wondering what their original backstory for Dante was.

Pretty much everything you just said is his back story, aside from being bisexual to hate religion. You can not be too keen on religion without having to be of a differing sexuality.

Anyway, yeah, pretty much everything in the 2010 trailer is still part of his back story, sans smoking. They just didn't have the time to get it all in the game itself.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Myeh, looks like bruises to me, along with cuts. Them thinking it was make up was only marginally less stupid than people complaining he looked like he was a druggy, and not someone who just finished up a rumble.

Pretty much everything you just said is his back story, aside from being bisexual to hate religion. *You can not be too keen on religion without having to be of a differing sexuality.

Anyway, yeah, pretty much everything in the 2010 trailer is still part of his back story, sans smoking. They just didn't have the time to get it all in the game itself.
Meh... I'm sure he's got some trust issues, but not really anything that made me interested in his character. I didn't see him necessarily have trust issues with humans... he just tends not to trust them because demons are behind everything in Limbo, and could control humans. No, I'm talking about trust issues resulting from a breach of trust in his past. And not anything related to Sparda, preferably.
I would've liked it more if he had a more detailed and dramatic backstory, and if he interacted with the world around him a bit more profoundly.

*I know, I'm just saying that it would've tied religion directly to him. At this point, he just seems to hate it because he's anti-establishment and pretty much anti-everything, because he wants to be. Because he's a rebel and people didn't treat him well, so he mistrusts everything and blah blah. It would be nice if the player himself could actually feel the same hatred he feels towards religion (or anything else). He needs to be more connected to these things directly.

It's hard to explain this, but I hope it comes across okay.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Funny? How do you mean? Don't get me wrong, I didn't like the Dante in that trailer, so I probably complained about it. That said, it's better than what we got in the end. At least the Dante from that trailer looked a bit more intelligent to me. I also get the sense that he would've made for a more interesting character... that is, if he had some more defining traits. Say, if he were bisexual or something - that would work well with his disdain for religion, and it *could* make the story around him more interesting. Also, if he had some problems in the past, as in trust issues when it comes to humans. Or maybe that he's coping with chronic depression. In DmC, Dante is just a guy p*ssed off at demons for hunting him. The final version of new Dante also looks too... regular. Aside from being sort of an ass, he's not too memorable to me. I'm wondering what their original backstory for Dante was.

But yeah, people are idiots. They constantly fight about opinions, often have no respect for the authorities or people with more experience than them, they believe in things that haven't been and probably can't be proved, ignore things that have been proved, they call addictions 'diseases', they beat people up thinking it'll somehow resolve a fight rather than making it worse... etc etc. Idiots.
But just because some vocal idiots whined about the hair doesn't mean that all DMC fans think it's a problem, you know?

Well its was funny in a coincidental way as i remembered a thread by Rockman x that asked how the game would have turned out had they stuck with tgs10 Dante etc.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
We went from this, to this. New dante is emo as ****. Even if he wasn't stabbing his fingers through his bleeding chest wounds trying to find his heart and whining in monotone about how he doesn't feel pain and isn't sure if he's really human, new dante is living under the shadow of this massive goofball, which amplifies his existing whiny emo tendencies a hundred fold.

And for the record (I did a word search for "hair" in this forum, results were about what I expected from you lot) hair color has nothing to do with him being seen as emo. For dante's Tony Redgrave backstory, dante dyed his hair black and had a similar identity crisis over his demonic heritage, but out of all the words used to describe him at this period, "emo" isn't really up there on the list.

But new dante? Give him sparkly pink hair and a huge animu sword for all I care, he'll still be the most emo character in any recent game short of actually downloading and playing depression quest

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
We went from this, to this. New dante is emo as ****. Even if he wasn't stabbing his fingers through his bleeding chest wounds trying to find his heart and whining in monotone about how he doesn't feel pain and isn't sure if he's really human, new dante is living under the shadow of this massive goofball, which amplifies his existing whiny emo tendencies a hundred fold.

And for the record (I did a word search for "hair" in this forum, results were about what I expected from you lot) hair color has nothing to do with him being seen as emo. For dante's Tony Redgrave backstory, dante dyed his hair black and had a similar identity crisis over his demonic heritage, but out of all the words used to describe him at this period, "emo" isn't really up there on the list.

But new dante? Give him sparkly pink hair and a huge animu sword for all I care, he'll still be the most emo character in any recent game short of actually downloading and playing depression quest
...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Yeah He's screwing with us

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Im actually wondering how were they planning to shift TGS10 Dante into the Dante we know and love

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I don't think they were. They must've been going for a different character, weren't they?
Thats the problem tho because if they werent planning on reconcile TGS10 with Dante than what was the point of doing this as a DMC game?

this is Nero and DMC2 all over again.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
They wanted a different character, but had to change him to get close to the original due to fans.
I want people to remember this next time the fans say: "We want change, but only good change (implying that DmC was NOT good change)."

DMC4 still would've had 60 fps, lock-on, and dt (no matter who the main character was, or what he looked like) -- so, how was this NOT "good change" again?

Last edited:

The Final Offer

Wanna know something? DMC Dante is more emo than DmC Dante will ever be. Wanna know how?

DMC Dante upon meeting Trish allows her to kick his ass. Electricity, kicks, etc.
DMC Dante lifts himself off of the blade Alastor instead of pushing on the hilt as he raised himself to his feet.
DMC 3 Dante allows himself to be stabbed several times and doesn't take the blades out.
DMC 3 Dante runs his hand through Vergil's blade and twists his hand to grab Vergil's blade instead of using his other hand.
DMC 4 Dante allows himself to be impaled and mangled by Nero.

DMC Dante is sadistic. You know he likes pain.

Last edited:

Kam

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Yeah He's screwing with us
nope, 100% serious

*masochistic*

Anyway, I don't understand these two:
When dante's demonic side is closer to the surface, he becomes more and more oblivious to pain, and also way less sane. He never fully masters his demonic half, and at random moments throughout all 4 games he is sometimes seen devil triggering on and off involuntarily

Kam

Wanna know something? DMC Dante is more emo than DmC Dante will ever be. Wanna know how?

DMC Dante upon meeting Trish allows her to kick his ass. Electricity, kicks, etc.
DMC Dante lifts himself off of the blade Alastor instead of pushing on the hilt as he raised himself to his feet.
DMC 3 Dante allows himself to be stabbed several times and doesn't take the blades out.
DMC 3 Dante runs his hand through Vergil's blade and twists his hand to grab Vergil's blade instead of using his other hand.
DMC 4 Dante allows himself to be impaled and mangled by Nero.

DMC Dante is sadistic. You know he likes pain.
Dante gets stabbed by trish and then casually laughs at her efforts after blowing up a motorcycle in his office. Dante gets impaled by demons, then casually walks over to grab a slice of pizza and put on some music. For three of the scenes you mentioned, dante's devil trigger has kicked in and he doesn't actually seem to be sane.

Nothing you mentioned is even remotely close to this level of emo whinging

The Final Offer

Dante gets stabbed by trish and then casually laughs at her efforts after blowing up a motorcycle in his office. Dante gets impaled by demons, then casually walks over to grab a slice of pizza and put on some music. For three of the scenes you mentioned, dante's devil trigger has kicked in and he doesn't actually seem to be sane.

Nothing you mentioned is even remotely close to this level of emo whinging

Hey self mutilation is self mutilation. Don't deny it.

One guy got hit and didn't mean to get hit. Checked out his wound to grab whatever went into him.

The other guy meant to get hit, meant to feel pain, and laughed at the pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom