• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Does anybody still call the reboot Dante "emo?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg

Uh... in fact, we're done. Didn't you notice? XD
Yes in fact I did. Still felt compelled to say something because of the level of :facepalm:. And this wouldn't be the first time people agreed to stop something only to restart later. I didn't want to see that happen.

Now back to the thread topic. If there even is one...

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Still felt compelled to say something because of the level of :facepalm:

Yeah you can say that out loud. I know that feel.

He's not a bad looking guy at all.

Yeah I give NT credit for having done the miracle there xD

I mean, they switched from this (which TOTALLY looks emo, dirty and ugly):

dmc-new-dante.jpg

to this:

03-big-dmc-devil-may-cry.jpg

Props to Ninja Theory, I liked the work they did with Dante's "remodeling" :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
people dont really let things go on the internet, especially snap judgements so yeah Im sure there still are.

that doesnt he actually is "emo" nor they are using the word right.

Viper

Premium
You can tell when you're dealing with new gamers. Because, if anyone complained about how Dante looked in the reveal trailer for DmC, surely does not know how this type of thing works.

Here's DMC4 Dante during his reveal trailer.
0f72c6d9.jpg

dantedy4.jpg

1205324391427qr8.jpg

Looking terrible ain't he?

We know of this, and some people actually liked that look, but majority... or at least the most vocal ones, complained, and the end version was made different (thank Sparda it was, that face was just a tad too creepy). This one was actually the second version, and the first one got mostly complains that it looks too close in age to DMC3 version.

Considering how events played out, it's possible complaints is what brought to end product, and if there weren't any, new Dante would have stayed looking like a beat up drug addict.

The Final Offer

We know of this, and some people actually liked that look, but majority... or at least the most vocal ones, complained, and the end version was made different (thank Sparda it was, that face was just a tad too creepy). This one was actually the second version, and the first one got mostly complains that it looks too close in age to DMC3 version.

Considering how events played out, it's possible complaints is what brought to end product, and if there weren't any, new Dante would have stayed looking like a beat up drug addict.

Wrong. New Dante's concept was in DmC and it wasn't the complaints that got him changed, it was the actor they chose to fit that role.

It's no longer about the character's face anymore, because now that's someone's actual face. It's what comes with motion capture.

Meg

I remember NT saying that Capcom wanted them to get as far away from DMC Dante as possible. They wanted something extreme for the initial announcement trailer and then the two studios worked the design backward together. The design seen in the 2010 trailer was never supposed to be the final one anyway.

Viper

Premium
Wrong. New Dante's concept was in DmC and it wasn't the complaints that got him changed, it was the actor they chose to fit that role.

It's no longer about the character's face anymore, because now that's someone's actual face. It's what comes with motion capture.
Then they shouldn't have pushed anything out in the public until they made that change. Cause we seen that concept, people went nuts and it was only after that the face got adjusted to his actor and the bruises and most of dirt disappeared.

Meg

Then they shouldn't have pushed anything out in the public until they made that change. Cause we seen that concept, people went nuts and it was only after that the face got adjusted to his actor and the bruises and most of dirt disappeared.
Honestly I think that was intentional. They probably knew people would freak out regardless because the final design is still super different from the original Dante. They probably wanted to throw out there something really extreme first so the final design would be acceptable to fans in comparison.

Viper

Premium
Honestly I think that was intentional. They probably knew people would freak out regardless because the final design is still super different from the original Dante. They probably wanted to throw out there something really extreme first so the final design would be acceptable to fans in comparison.
Well that's one stupid plan and in my case backfired quite badly (possibly with a lot of other people as well), cause extremes like that tend to leave a bad aftertaste.
While I actually liked Vergil's design somewhat, when I saw Dante I almost started crying... and no, it wasn't cause of the damn hair. For a long time after that, even if the game wasn't leaving me indifferent and had sparked some interest, Dante himself was pretty much dead to me. Now I can tolerate him by thinking of him as some other person.

Promotional material is for attracting people, not putting them in state of shock.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Yeah I give NT credit for having done the miracle there xD

I mean, they switched from this (which TOTALLY looks emo, dirty and ugly):

dmc-new-dante.jpg

to this:

03-big-dmc-devil-may-cry.jpg

Props to Ninja Theory, I liked the work they did with Dante's "remodeling" :thumbsup:

I will always find that complaint so stupid, "HE LOOKS SO DIRTY!" No friggin' crap! He was obviously just in a fight! A cut lip, bruised eyes, dried blood on his clothes and face. C'mon :/

You can tell when you're dealing with new gamers. Because, if anyone complained about how Dante looked in the reveal trailer for DmC, surely does not know how this type of thing works.

Here's DMC4 Dante during his reveal trailer.
0f72c6d9.jpg

dantedy4.jpg

1205324391427qr8.jpg

Looking terrible ain't he?

The really hilarious thing is that you can find old forum threads from when that video for DMC4 first came out, and they are saying Dante looks like a crackhead there, too.

The Final Offer

If I remember correctly they threw it out there knowing of the backlash it'd cause. On top of that, NT had no other choice, but to get the trailer out there for the deadline. Just like they did with Hellblade's trailer. I'm not quite sure if the Hellblade character will continue to look like one of the employees or not. I honestly like the look.

Companies throw out concept trailers all the time. It's just to gather folks "like us" around to talk about it. It's called creating a buzz.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I will always find that complaint so stupid, "HE LOOKS SO DIRTY!" No friggin' crap! He was obviously just in a fight! A cut lip, bruised eyes, dried blood on his clothes and face. C'mon :/
Literally the ONLY difference between Dante's reveal look and his final look was the fact that he was covered in bruises. That's it. I don't know why people see such a massive, glaring wall of difference between the two, especially given how everything else about him---hairstyle, facial structure, attire, and so on---remained EXACTLY the same.

The only thing that didn't make it into the final game from Dante's debut was the smoking---something I actually kind of lament, given how badass he looked when he put out the cigarette in the face of one of the demons he was fighting. That alone is a million times more badass than DMC3 Dante skateboarding on an enemy, whilst whooping and shooting to the point of aggravation.

The really hilarious thing is that you can find old forum threads from when that video for DMC4 first came out, and they are saying Dante looks like a crackhead there, too.
God knows he has the crackhead eyes. Just look at them...they're huge. UNNATURALLY huge. Like, creepy-basement-dweller-that-watches-you-while-you-sleep huge.

The Final Offer

Literally the ONLY difference between Dante's reveal look and his final look was the fact that he was covered in bruises. That's it. I don't know why people see such a massive, glaring wall of difference between the two, especially given how everything else about him---hairstyle, facial structure, attire, and so on---remained EXACTLY the same.

The only thing that didn't make it into the final game from Dante's debut was the smoking---something I actually kind of lament, given how badass he looked when he put out the cigarette in the face of one of the demons he was fighting. That alone is a million times more badass than DMC3 Dante skateboarding on an enemy, whilst whooping and shooting to the point of aggravation.

God knows he has the crackhead eyes. Just look at them...they're huge. UNNATURALLY huge. Like, creepy-basement-dweller-that-watches-you-while-you-sleep huge.

Wanna know what really trips me out? It's that DMC3 Dante has this huge pointy nose, is pale like TL vampires, and has the moptop. A HUGE departure from DMC1 and 2's design. But, because he's young, we had to roll with it right? Ha, just thinking about the DMC3 cover. Don't mind me there.

What you're saying though, about Dante looking the same, is moderately true. They kept all of the traits and merged them with Tim P's traits. If you placed Tim next to concept Dante, you wouldn't see a thing similar. Which is why a few people saw Tameem.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
how badass he looked when he put out the cigarette in the face of one of the demons he was fighting.

Yup, that was badass indeed. I still prefer the "pool shot" from DMC3 though. CCCCCRAZY!!!

Actually, have you ever thought of how cool it would have been, it they had kept smoking and implemented that cigarette burning as a taunt or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom