• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Do we deserve a DMC 5 or DmC 2?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I think it depends on what capcom was looking for. I read somewhere they wanted 5 million and then dropped it to 2 million which i think DmC made a 1.5 million in its debut.

So DmC sold the usual amount for a DMC game just not what they expected.

Both DmC and DMC4 were a lil dissapointing so im neutral to which we should get. I just want something to excite me.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Does Ninja still have the rights to DMC? If they do then DmC2 really should be made. At least finish Vergil and Dante's story then call it quits. Otherwise we'll be stuck in a "what the hell happened to Dante after DMC2?"
Nobody wants that again.

Veloran

Take Sparda as example: he is dead in DMC1, he is said as having disappeared in DMC3 and Sparda in DMC4 his destiny is given as unknown or not mentioned at all.
Being dead and having vanished and his end not being brought up aren't contradictory to each other.

In DMC1 Dante never knew his father, because he died/disappeared as soon as he knew Eva was pregnant,
When was that ever said?

And if I'm remembering correctly, Sparda was gone before Dante turned eight years old. We're not sure exactly how long before, but it follows that Dante would only have somewhat vague memories of his father, and would need to rely on what he learned from others to help construct a mental image of him.

in DMC 3 Dante knew him in persona,in DMC4 , Dante gives a d*mn about his father.
Those things aren't contradictory either, Dante in 4 just doesn't obsess about him.

We have at least 4 "Vergil": one who was always Mundus servant and can't recognize Dante; DMC3 Vergil was always free and conscious of his choices, DMC1 novel gives us a Vergil who is self conscious and hates Dante with all his guts, at the point of following wherever he goes, only to destroy anything Dante owns/cares and finally we have a Vergil who is a father and is very affectionate towards his child, at the point of save/resurrect him.
Well 1 and the novel kind of go off from each other. You can say that Vergil in the book was being controlled into his actions against Dante, or perhaps he willingly gave in to Mundus as a child, and then because of his failure Mundus stripped him of independent thought by the time of 1. Either way, again 3 retcons this representation of Vergil. Then for 3 and what we see in 4, there is very little to no contradiction there, the story you yourself posted shows that Vergil cared about Dante to some degree and it follows that he would care about his own son enough to save him from death.

Now we have to be careful, because we are derailing a thread and we don't it to be closed.
I don't know, I feel as though this is pertinent. It's important to see how people view the series and their ideas on it to recognize whether they would even want another game or what it might be like.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
I think it depends on what capcom was looking for. I read somewhere they wanted 5 million and then dropped it to 2 million which i think DmC made a 1.5 million in its debut.

So DmC sold the usual amount for a DMC game just not what they expected.

Both DmC and DMC4 were a lil dissapointing so im neutral to which we should get. I just want something to excite me.

Well from a business standpoint I'm sure capcom will look at which one of the latest entries sold the most between DmC and DMC4 and the thing is that DMC4 sold WAY more than DmC, If I'm not mistaken DMC4 sold over 3 million copies (not counting special edition/digital releases) while DmC sold around the 1.6 million margin, while those dales for DmC are not bad and not what I would consider a flop or failure it does show a clear difference in sales and what the consumers wanted so I think if Capcom does choose to go back to the series than the obvious and "safe" business one would be a DMC5.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
When was that ever said?
DMC1 game booklet says that. Dante says too it was his mother who told him things about his father.
And if I'm remembering correctly, Sparda was gone before Dante turned eight years old. We're not sure exactly how long before, but it follows that Dante would only have somewhat vague memories of his father, and would need to rely on what he learned from others to help construct a mental image of him.
He remembers him quite well when describing his parents relationship to Brad and lost sometime in both manga and DMC4 novel remembering how much Vergil was similar to their father.This, of course, after Kamiya's era.
Those things aren't contradictory either, Dante in 4 just doesn't obsess about him.
In DMC4 Dante is whatever about everything, his father was not important either.
Then for 3 and what we see in 4, there is very little to no contradiction there, the story you yourself posted shows that Vergil cared about Dante to some degree and it follows that he would care about his own son enough to save him from death.
Manga says Vergil wants the power all for himself, even Dante's;Trinity of Fates says he doesn't;in manga Vergil believes firmly mama preferred Dante; ToF says she had loved them equally. DMC3 story is far deeper than DMC4: some of the most important parts of the script were taken out in order to insert cheap senseless fanservice.
It's important to see how people view the series and their ideas on it to recognize whether they would even want another game or what it might be like.
I really doubt our ideas or opinions about DMC will change or weight in any kind of Capcom's decisions. Anyway my opinion about DMC in this very moment is not that good ( I never bought DMC4SE even if playing as Lady was one of my greatest wishes related to DMC) , so it's up to time to see if things get better.

Veloran

DMC1 game booklet says that. Dante says too it was his mother who told him things about his father.
Not that I can see, no.

He remembers him quite well when describing his parents relationship to Brad and lost sometime in both manga and DMC4 novel remembering how much Vergil was similar to their father.This, of course, after Kamiya's era.
It seems as though those are things he could know even if he didn't have the clearest memories of his father.

In DMC4 Dante is whatever about everything, his father was not important either.
Seems to me Dante still thinks his father is important, but he's tired of having to live up to his legacy and clean up after his messes.

Manga says Vergil wants the power all for himself, even Dante's;Trinity of Fates says he doesn't;in manga Vergil believes firmly mama preferred Dante; ToF says she had loved them equally.
But Trinity of Fate does say that Vergil wanted power, what you're confusing is that he didn't stay in the demon world in order to keep it's power for himself, but instead to push Dante back to the human world.

Moreover, even if Eva treated the twins equally, that doesn't mean Vergil perceived that correctly. Based on the manga Eva told Vergil to run, while she stayed behind and made sure Dante was hidden, which led to Vergil almost dying and only being saved by awakening his demonic power. From Vergil's point of view that could be her showing preference to Dante, indicating that she loved him more.

But simultaneously even if there's some resentment there, that also doesn't mean that he hated her. On the contrary he blames himself for not being able to protect her, IE if he was strong enough he wouldn't have had to run. In a way you could construe that as an unconscious basis of his desire for power, in a twisted way it's thinking more power would give him the love of his mother.

Alternatively there are other interpretations you could take because it's a situation with quite a few layers of reasoning, but this ties into the conversation here. The point I'm making is these things are not necessarily contradictory to each other.

I really doubt our ideas or opinions about DMC will change or weight in any kind of Capcom's decisions.
What I mean is that a greater understanding of the material can help us to determine some good paths the series could take. I often hear people saying that there's nowhere left for Devil May Cry to go, and that's something I couldn't disagree with more.

Gel

Premium
Not that I can see, no.
Only if your booklet is different from me: mine says" as soon as he fathered a child, he died".The only excuse I see is that I have the European edition.
But Trinity of Fate does say that Vergil wanted power, what you're confusing is that he didn't stay in the demon world in order to keep it's power for himself, but instead to push Dante back to the human world.
Manga says he wants Dante's power because it is rightfully his , ToF says he wants power but not necessarily Dante's.
Moreover, even if Eva treated the twins equally, that doesn't mean Vergil perceived that correctly. Based on the manga Eva told Vergil to run, while she stayed behind and made sure Dante was hidden, which led to Vergil almost dying and only being saved by awakening his demonic power. From Vergil's point of view that could be her showing preference to Dante, indicating that she loved him more.
Funny enough I've always interpreted Vergil wanted to fight the demons, while Dante just stayed behind and hid as he was told.
But then we have this panel were someone screams Dante's name. First I thought it was Vergil, but seeing his facial reaction, it was probably Eva.Which opens the possibility of making Vergil thinking " even in her very last minute, she only worries about Dante."
Since they never went deeper in this relationship, I wonder DMC Eva's relationship with her twins wouldn't be similar to DmC counterparts. Like Vergil was always obedient, mild mannered, composed while Dante would be more mischievous and vivacious, being more successful into capture Mama's attention, making Eva's death the last straw into thinking "being a nice boy doesn't compensate"
But simultaneously even if there's some resentment there, that also doesn't mean that he hated her.
No, he doesn't hate her and probably it makes his life a living misery.Loving someone who (even if in his mind)"doesn't care about me".
In a way you could construe that as an unconscious basis of his desire for power, in a twisted way it's thinking more power would give him the love of his mother.
It can be interpreted too as " if I'm strong enough, I won't need someone else and I will fulfill my emptiness".
The point I'm making is these things are not necessarily contradictory to each other.
The contrary can be true, according to the opinion giver.
I often hear people saying that there's nowhere left for Devil May Cry to go, and that's something I couldn't disagree with more.
To be honest, IMO we put more thought in these kind of conversations than Capcom will ever put in their work. they just do their job and that's it.Most of fans don't have source material (which is never translated from Japanese, even if most Japanese are whatever to DMC) and just buy the game because of its gameplay. I can't censure them if they think the story is shallow , taking into account it is needed additional material(of dubious canonicy ) to have a better understanding of what is going there.

Veloran

Only if your booklet is different from me: mine says" as soon as he fathered a child, he died".The only excuse I see is that I have the European edition.
What page? Mine says nothing about that.

Manga says he wants Dante's power because it is rightfully his , ToF says he wants power but not necessarily Dante's.
When does the manga say that? In fact I remember him originally offering Dante a chance to join him, and then at the end he returns Dante's amulet.

Funny enough I've always interpreted Vergil wanted to fight the demons, while Dante just stayed behind and hid as he was told.
Possibly, it could be either. But I'm not sure the point majorly differs given that Eva still stayed with Dante.

Since they never went deeper in this relationship, I wonder DMC Eva's relationship with her twins wouldn't be similar to DmC counterparts. Like Vergil was always obedient, mild mannered, composed while Dante would be more mischievous and vivacious, being more successful into capture Mama's attention, making Eva's death the last straw into thinking "being a nice boy doesn't compensate"
I don't feel as though that was the case, but in any event they've always left that purposefully vague.

No, he doesn't hate her and probably it makes his life a living misery.Loving someone who (even if in his mind)"doesn't care about me".
I can see that, it's very possible he felt it was a one way street and could be another reason why he tried to distance himself from his humanity more than Dante.

It can be interpreted too as " if I'm strong enough, I won't need someone else and I will fulfill my emptiness".
That's also possible, though I think if that was the case for Vergil he ultimately failed to resist his humanity in that respect, given that he fathered a child.

The contrary can be true, according to the opinion giver.
I'm not sure I see what you mean. If we can show that a contradiction isn't necessary, then that suggests it isn't the case.

To be honest, IMO we put more thought in these kind of conversations than Capcom will ever put in their work.
I think they do care and do think about it, but suffer from a failure to fully execute their intentions.

Gel

Premium
When does the manga say that? In fact I remember him originally offering Dante a chance to join him, and then at the end he returns Dante's amulet.
Here.This is Vergil's profile.
That's also possible, though I think if that was the case for Vergil he ultimately failed to resist his humanity in that respect, given that he fathered a child.
It could be anything, even if what had happened to Eva, it could had happened to Nero's mother.We don't know and Capcom doesn't tell us. Anyway IMO Vergil seems very proud of Nero, so proud he wants the boy to accept his legacy.The same way I agree with you in saying he doesn't hate humanity or even he isn't apathetic to them. I fact, taking into account the way he casually walks through humans, how he interacts with Sanctus ( telling him wants him no harm whatsoever and even asking the old man what will they do if he surpasses his father) makes me believe wanted to protect humanity in some way, because that was what his father did.
This guy would never mate with a human if he didn't want, much less any kind of human and I believe he was full conscientious he could produce offspring, after all his alma mater just did the same.
I think they do care and do think about it, but suffer from a failure to fully execute their intentions.
They cut off the best parts and that makes me bitter about.:smile:

We can continue later, since I'm gonna work.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
A problem with Classic Dante is they never figured out what to do with after DMC1 so he's given the impression of being stagnant and going through the motions.

So thats why people are interested in Vergil coming back because his return generates conflict. And the appeal of DmC2 is reboot Dante has a new journey to walk, one full of interesting choices and complex dillemas.

So that something they should think about when they do DMC5.

Judge

It is a reboot/reimagining. The white hair was meant to happen from constant use of the DT.

I think they have written the script for DmC2. They were really excited to do DmC, I won't put it past them.

Hellblade wouldn't usher in the chance to do DmC2. It's all about if they feel we deserve DmC2 or if they wanna deal with the hate again. Probably not. Hell, if anything, they probably already declined the sequel due to the backlash. DMC could become what Megaman X is. I mean, it was certainly meant to.

I remember someone from Capcom a while ago saying that they wanted to reboot the series with the intention of making sequels. So I have no doubt they had plans for sequels after Vergil's Downfall.

The sales were generally not bad. It sold to date 1.8 mil copies. Maybe even more than 2 mil with DmC DE. Problem is Capcom wanted at least 2 mil sales by the end of the first year. They made a profit on DmC, but no where near what they wanted. They wanted the series to become a big seller. Like God of War (4-5 mil), or Batman (5+ mil).

Unfortunately I feel this issue on sales was not really to do with the fans, the fans did come out and buy the game (mostly). It sold in line with DMC1, 2 and 3, but for various reasons people who never played a DMC game didn't buy it.

Then they released DmC DE one year too late in the PS4/X1 life cycle. At the time DmC DE came out it was one year too late to make an impact. One year earlier or even a PS4/X1 launch title would have been more successful. Assassins Creed 4 did that. They released on the PS3/360 and then as soon as PS4/X1 came out Ubisoft prepared it as a launch title. Capcom made a big mistake not doing that. The game had a potential to launch for new consoles, and Capcom wasted the oppertunity, not even once, but they waited until 2015 to release DmC DE.

Janary 2014 would've been perfect. Not many great games out on PS4/X1. They wasted a year and lost an enormous advantage to hit big with DmC DE.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I tend to avoid these kinds of threads in fear that they may be more of the same new and exciting flavors of speculation/lamentation of the absence of any new DMC game news, but surprisingly, a lot of intriguing points have been brought up in this thread….ones, I daresay, I never dreamed I’d see on this forum.

But in regards to the topic, I’d strongly advise against thinking about “what fans deserve”, and what the “SERIES deserves.” Going out your way to exclusively please the fans is exactly how the seeds of a franchise’s downfall are planted (just take a gander at the safe-playing snoozefest that is the current Star Wars license). Fans don’t oversee development, understand budget limitations or meddling from shareholders, or the archaic methods Japanese companies like Capcom still employ to rush their games out to market, in spite of their developers having the game half-finished.

And with all of that in mind, and take firm grasp of your armchair rests as I verbalize this….I think the original DMC series should be prioritized for continuation. Why? Because unlike DmC, which answered a lot of its narrative questions adequately within the confines of its story, even WITH some mythos-related inquiries left open.

DMC, on the other hand, had and still has a horrendous number of questions its writers have refused to acknowledge, and continue to bury with eight new retcons in each product they churn out. DMC4 literally wrote itself with a new setting, characters, and plot elements it was clearly setting up to be looked into via a proper sequel, but with the game’s sales failing to match the mountainous budget Kobayashi evidently wedged into the game, the series has been left on the backburner for almost a decade.

I like the reboot, and will always be one of its most starch defenders here on this forums, but I won’t pretend for a moment that it takes high priority for continuation. The original series is in dire need of revival not just because it has a longer, more established continuity…but because so much more of it needs to be FIXED.

Oh I know but at the same time, I also know what happens when you overdo it and prioritize that over all the rest... *cough cough* The Order 1886 *cough cough*
I don't want to risk that when it comes to DMC, you know what I mean?

Games like Order 1886, Heavy Rain, and the absolute abhorrent Tumblrite fecal colossus that was Until Dawn all have a similar problem, but it’s not that the story takes center stage over the gameplay; Light novels, dating sims, the Telltale games…they’ve all proven that you can have the gameplay be a minimal factor in a game, and still maintain a level of appeal, because the story itself is good enough to make up for its lack of gameplay. The problem with those three games I mentioned is that their story isn’t GOOD. These developers are locked in this James Cameron-mentality where they think that pain-staking motion capture and elongated cutscenes give their games a “cinematic” quality, but don’t realize how worthless all of that is if the player isn’t INVESTED in the digital wax figurines being pawned off as main characters.

I think the closest any hack-n’-slash game has come to capturing its story effectively through a cinematic presentation is Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. Not only was that game’s writing and cutscenes done exceptionally well, but it also wove elements of its narrative and pacing into the game…like when Gabriel is approaching Carmilla’s castle, and the camera and music shift to place emphasis on the sudden shift in locales, to move the next act of the story.

I’d love to see DMC5 try something similar, if the writers can get their act together and deliver something competent for once, instead of binge-watching Dragonball Z and pinching whatever they found cool about it onto DMC’s plot. :shifty:

Nobody here ever asked a complicated story: DMC has a basic, simple story and that is fine.The problem is the canon's consistency is null: Capcom is totally incapable of doing a story that makes sense at all.

^This. So much this.

If you want some idea of the absolute best Capcom can do when it comes to putting all their eggs in one basket and committing the bulk of their effort to producing a story, just consider this:

The most intricate story they’ve ever told, with their largest and most dedicated team of writers in company history for any game…was for Resident Evil 6.

Just wrap your head around that, if you can.

Now if they think that DMC will subsist only in cool looking characters and gameplay, they are wrong.That was fine in 90's/2000's, but not now. DMC rivals have already done better and there are already fans complaining about DMC gameplay.

I keep telling people this, and I always get the same intellectually-dishonest write-off about how “the series is about gameplay, not the story”, when these are the same people who shrieked to the high heavens and rattled the Earth’s stratosphere with their wails of anguish when Capcom made changes to the story and characters with the reboot.

The series, for better or for worse, became more story-centric with the questionable advent of DMC3. Cutscenes were no longer under an hour’s worth of hammy cinematics to cobble together some barebones plot like in DMC1. Starting with 3, cutscenes became longer, more dramatic, with a large emphasis placed on character monologues and interactions. The budget was augmented to support pain-staking motion capture performances for Langdon and Southworth, and the script—by Capcom’s own admission—was being proofread and done with the consultation of American scriptwriters, to enforce its cinematic appeal with Western audiences (a fact I find hard to believe, given how aggressively Japanified and anime-esque these last few games have been).

Anyone who thinks the story isn’t being handled with large emphasis or taken seriously by its creators are not only deluding themselves, but flat-out ignoring the efforts made by Capcom themselves.

That's what Kamiya had planned for his Vergil, it was apparently stated in an interview and part of the fandom is aware of it being canon once upon a time till it was retconed.

It wouldn't be the last, or even the most damaging retcon DMC3 would plunge into Kamiya's vision, either. I've written on this in great detail in other posts, but I think having Dante require Lady to remind him about "what's important" and "the vital ties of family", is flat-out disgusting and dismantles everything we learned about Dante in DMC1.

That retcon will NEVER stop irking me.

All I want in a DMC5 is a non-invincible Dante. He annoyed the **** out of me in 4 because he had no personal stake in the conflict and nothing was a threat to him.

Sorry, sorry…I’m just….I can’t even believe someone besides me has even said this, because I’ve offered this exact same complaint to the fanboy pirhannas over at the Devil’s Lair forum for years, and have been drawn-and-quartered and burned at the stake for even bringing it up.

One of the reasons Dante has never worked as a serious protagonist is because he not only refuses to take any threat seriously, lessening our investment in the plot because of HIS lack of investment in what’s going on, but also because he’s too much of an overpowered and insurmountable Gary Stu deviantart OC-creation that he literally HAS NOTHING TO LOSE.

I would argue that Dante’s more laid-back and chill in 4 because he’s gotten over his emotional dips in the first game after completing his ultimate objective, to confront Mundus and avenge his mother and brother, a task that had burdened him throughout his devil hunting career. With that out of the way, he had the chance to become older and wiser, to season himself with experience, and even laugh at himself occasionally. The character of Takezo in the manga Vagabond undergoes a similar transformation as age begins to shape him out of the spiny rebellious attitude of his adolescence, and his growth into a master swordsman fills him with enough wisdom to take himself less seriously. I’ve always felt this actually really worked for Dante’s role in 4, for no other reason than he wasn’t the main protagonist. He was really just fulfilling the mentor role to Nero as the series veteran, helping him out with his own personal struggle and making sure he ended up on the right path as the next inheritor of Sparda’s lineage.

The reason it didn’t work for 3 and the anime was because he WAS the main character. With the plot and stakes placed on his shoulders, him struggling or having something to lose becomes all the more vital, and instead of giving him weaknesses or giving him a genuine struggle that he actually has to work for…

…the plot just conveniently course-corrects it so that he shakes off pain, damage, injuries, and loss like stains to his jacket, right before he vanquishes the threat in a killer combo, taking the time of course to dish out some cringey one-liner or pose like a stupid cosplayer.

Dante won’t ever receive proper development because of this, and will continue to be the weakest thing in the overarching DMC narrative. Not unless Capcom stops writing him as the God-mode recolor anime character of their dreams, gives him some actual limitations or imperfections, and make him a CHARACTER for once.

And instead of acknowledging it as a problem, most of the fanbase will actually crucify you for even suggesting that he's poorly-written.

A problem with Classic Dante is they never figured out what to do with after DMC1 so he's given the impression of being stagnant and going through the motions.

I think this really stems as another unfortunate side-effect of the series shifting authority on the story after Itsuno and co. replaced Kamiya and Team Little Devils.

Kamiya and the other writers established a clear, set goal for Dante, one that defined his character and really provided the only understandable motivation to justify his hunt for demons. But as soon as he vanquished Mundus…his primary motives kind of just vanished along with him.

After that, the new writers didn’t take any opportunity to explore his character some more, or give him some new motivation to be utilized in future plots. Every new instance in the games or anime, where he’s given a new threat to fight, he’s not shown to have ANY emotional investment in what’s going on: it’s just another job for him, because it’s not the demon who killed his mother. So the core problem is that the plot has to require Dante to get emotionally-stimulated or invested in what’s going on, to rattle him out of this laid-back and careless state of mind…and the writers seem to operate like they’re out of ideas, even though all they have to do is sit down, and creatively formulate a new plot-thread that could involve him properly, and make him a part of the on-screen struggle.

In a lot of ways, this is kind of the reason I prefer Nero as the series’ new protagonist, because there’s more you can do with him. He’s not as “OMFGZ11!!1! MOST PWRFUL CHACTER EVAR1!!1!”, because he’s more flawed and imperfect. He’s less experienced, and has a lot more journeying to do to reach his full potential…whereas Dante seems to demolish every threat with ease, and is so powerful that he has no development left to do. And most importantly, Nero’s more emotionally versatile, and will actually do something that Dante used to do in prior games: give a crap about the strife and pain of people outside himself—Nero actually cares when Credo dies, despite him being an enemy…in a remarkably-similar fashion to the contempt Dante reserves for Mundus when he obliterates Griffon right in front of him. In addition, he has Kyrie: a living, emotional investment that he can spend the series protecting…or even fighting alongside, if the writers are creative enough (because it’s not like any interesting or substantial story-telling is going into outlining the camaraderie between Dante and his two female compatriots, even though it’s simply oozing with narrative potential).

Heretical as it may sound, if there was a petition to remove Dante as the series protagonist, my name would be the first on the list. I’d rather they boot him off instead of fail at developing him in future, tiresome escapades.

Reign

But in regards to the topic, I’d strongly advise against thinking about “what fans deserve”, and what the “SERIES deserves.”

Why would you advise of anything? It's working well thus far. Why would you try to change what this thread is? I stated why it's about what we feel fans deserve and not another cliche' topic, you can go make a what does the "series" deserve thread. There's several hundreds of those around these parts, just different year stamps.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Games like Order 1886, Heavy Rain, and the absolute abhorrent Tumblrite fecal colossus that was Until Dawn all have a similar problem, but it’s not that the story takes center stage over the gameplay

Only because they belong to a genre where narrative is a central element to build the game on.

Well, except for The Order. That was a TPS, and you'd think that they would put more attention to their gameplay, that is as deep as a puddle, rather than going out of their way to make it literally like a movie, and even coming out with bull like "they can't get around having gameplay, they make games after all", when asked what between visuals, story and gameplay took precedence in development. Might as well made it an adventure game then, a la Telltale (as much as I despise that kinda game, I remember the times where adventure actually had some resemblance of actual gameplay, with challenging and compelling puzzles and all that).

All I want in a DMC5 is a non-invincible Dante. He annoyed the **** out of me in 4 because he had no personal stake in the conflict and nothing was a threat to him.

Yo, didn't see this post. I agree with you there, if he's to be the main protagonist in a next game, he's got to struggle, like he did in DMC3 and 1. Which is why I'm not so sure I want a game placed after DMC2 anymore. I know that's gonna tick you off cause I know you do want a sequel to DMC2 but that game depicts him as absolutely unstoppable. In DMC1 and 3 he used to struggle, whether it was against the overwhelming power of the Demon King, or the superior skill of his own brother, and only got out of extremely dangerous situations out of sheer luck (Vergil stabbing him with Rebellion or Nero Angelo having a seizure at the sight of his medallion) or outside help (Trish with Mundus and Vergil with Arkham).
But after DMC2, what could pose a threat to him. He oneshots a previous Demon King like nothing there.

Reign

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNN

Dante being invincible is what kills any challenge. We'd have to do a game with a character that's able to combat him. Not a doppleganger in blue.....a la Shadow the Hedgehog, Protoman, etc.

Dante needs to be shown getting absolutely destroyed in the opening sequence. Disappearing from the scene for a while and then coming back with DMC 2 attitude, like just a "I mean business" demeanor would help him tremendously. I want him to suffer to become much more stoic and less, "I can't die so I'll just be killing everyone at my own pace now."

Note: It's all about who says it. Not who's first to say it.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Note: It's all about who says it. Not who's first to say it.

Actually, I wrote my comment because I saw yours on the 2nd page and wasn't willing to read through the several page-long multiquote bonanza this thread turned into, so I wrote it without quoting at all.

Veloran

I think the closest any hack-n’-slash game has come to capturing its story effectively through a cinematic presentation is Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. Not only was that game’s writing and cutscenes done exceptionally well,
Personally speaking, I felt as though Lords of Shadow failed narratively on almost every level. Particularly because the game is effectively about the origins of Dracula, and they only remembered that Gabriel needed to turn into a vampire in time to make the DLC.

That said, it did have a number of very cute moments.

smwgGfy.gif

but it also wove elements of its narrative and pacing into the game…like when Gabriel is approaching Carmilla’s castle, and the camera and music shift to place emphasis on the sudden shift in locales, to move the next act of the story.
I thought even DMC4 did that much. Every time you got to a new locale the ambient music and atmosphere would change.

The most intricate story they’ve ever told, with their largest and most dedicated team of writers in company history for any game…was for Resident Evil 6.
RE6 gets kind of a bad rap, for two reasons - It went full action game and basically abandoned any pretense of survival horror, and despite the crazy situations they're put in the characters hardly ever have any levity. Change a few details around and it would be a very good RE.

I keep telling people this, and I always get the same intellectually-dishonest write-off about how “the series is about gameplay, not the story”, when these are the same people who shrieked to the high heavens and rattled the Earth’s stratosphere with their wails of anguish when Capcom made changes to the story and characters with the reboot.
It is true the games are more about gameplay than story, but in my opinion the issue was the level of emphasis placed on the story. In DMC the story wasn't very intrusive and could be enjoyed both on a surface level as a goofy tale about demon slaying or more if someone really wanted to get invested. With DmC it was stressed as central much more from the very beginning, and gameplay is interrupted with cutscene more often than even DMC4. I think it is valid for people to have not particularly been interested in DMC's story yet still have been put off by the changes introduced in DmC.

It wouldn't be the last, or even the most damaging retcon DMC3 would plunge into Kamiya's vision, either. I've written on this in great detail in other posts, but I think having Dante require Lady to remind him about "what's important" and "the vital ties of family", is flat-out disgusting and dismantles everything we learned about Dante in DMC1.
I don't think that's much of a retcon. In fact Dante went through basically the same character evolution in the Kamiya-approved novel. Overall, I think it's Dante shifting from a mindset of revenge to a mindset of justice.

Sorry, sorry…I’m just….I can’t even believe someone besides me has even said this, because I’ve offered this exact same complaint to the fanboy pirhannas over at the Devil’s Lair forum for years, and have been drawn-and-quartered and burned at the stake for even bringing it up.
Hasn't the Devil's Lair forum been dead for like four or five years? I'm not sure how people could have disagreed with you on the topic in such a way as to warrant such a grudge.

One of the reasons Dante has never worked as a serious protagonist is because he not only refuses to take any threat seriously, lessening our investment in the plot because of HIS lack of investment in what’s going on, but also because he’s too much of an overpowered and insurmountable Gary Stu deviantart OC-creation that he literally HAS NOTHING TO LOSE.
Personally I've never really thought any threat to Dante's life was ever intended to be an aspect of the plot or a reason for the player to be invested.

From the very beginning of DMC1, danger to Dante himself was not the issue, either to him or the player, and the fact that he has nothing to lose is actually one of the central points of his character, to the point that he's often described as either exceedingly overconfident or dangerously suicidal, acting with no regard for his own life.

I think it's actually integral that for the vast majority of the time, Dante be relatively flippant and unconcerned about the threats facing him, because that is not where drama in the plot is derived from.

And instead of acknowledging it as a problem, most of the fanbase will actually crucify you for even suggesting that he's poorly-written.
I'm pretty sure that's because most of the fanbase doesn't have the opinion that he's poorly written.

But as soon as he vanquished Mundus…his primary motives kind of just vanished along with him.
Rather than that being a plot hole, I think it is actually the crux of Dante's character post-DMC1, and his lack of motivation and a need for trouble to occupy him has direct, negative ramifications. This eventually leads to his persona in DMC2 of simply rushing to get the job done without much fanfare or emotion.

I don't believe this is something that should be dropped in favor of simply depowering Dante, offering him a more threatening scenario, or removing him altogether, but rather it's an aspect of his character that should be further expounded upon and explored.

Top Bottom