• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Do we deserve a DMC 5 or DmC 2?

Dark Drakan

Admin
Now we have to be careful, because we are derailing a thread and we don't it to be closed.

It's still along the "general" topic lines so we aren't concerned with people discussing & debating so long as it doesn't stray massively off topic & isn't argumentative in nature.

Reactions: Gel

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Ok, now I gotta know where you took these from:

in DMC 3 Dante knew him in persona

in DMC4 , Dante gives a d*mn about his father.

We have at least 4 "Vergil": one who was always Mundus servant

and finally we have a Vergil who is a father and is very affectionate towards his child, at the point of save/resurrect him.

My memory might very well be lacking so if you could point to me where in the games all that is said you'd do me a favor.

Last edited:

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
- In DMC3 Dante talks about his father as he knew him, manga goes in the same direction.
- DMC4/DMC4 novel goes on like this: most of the things he knows about his father, he has heard of, but he takes it as it is. So Dante is whatever about if the things are true or not, but anime tells you ( in a conversation Dante has with Brad) that he knew about his father ( and gives some light about his mother/father relationship.
, which apparently wasn't so harmonious as it seemed to be.
-Nelo Angelo doesn't remember ANYTHING before being Mundus servant. He was little when he was captured and his mind was totally reset. Only when he saw Dante's amulet, it affected him, but it's never told if he remembers anything or not.
- in DMC4 novel , in the moment Nero is given as dead, stabbed by Agnus, he has a dream/ a vision ( yeah, instead of that ridiculous KYRYE scene): a man who he never saw before contemplates him, with a cold stare but a gentle touch in him.Them the man speaks , asking him if Nero can hear the cry of a soul. Nero asks back what is the man's soul telling him. Vergil answers smiling " power, I need more power". After this answer , Nero says " Ok, I'll take that too!" and wakes from the death through DT ( as much as Dante in DMC3).

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
In DMC3 Dante talks about his father as he knew him

Does he? It never looked like that to me. And even if it did, the legend of Sparda is widespread. Everybody knows it, there's no way Dante never heard it himself, so of course he's not gonna be oblivios of his father's deeds.

Nelo Angelo doesn't remember ANYTHING before being Mundus servant.

Okay. That doesn't mean he was always Mundus' servant though, just because he doesn't remember. I mean, that's how brainwashing works.

As for the other two things, if you wanna take that DMC4 novel as canon, suit yourself, but I don't since it contradicts the game, and between the two media, the game is the source material so that takes precedence. And in the game there's none of that stuff you just said.

Now that I think about it, from all this comes the conclusion that the story is indeed inconsistent but it seems to be more of a thing of non game media rather than the games themselves. So see, there is a middle way between your position and Veloran's. Heh, talk about the truth that lies in the middle huh? :wink:

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Okay. That doesn't mean he was always Mundus' servant though, just because he doesn't remember. I mean, that's how brainwashing works.
Bad wording for my part. He was raised by Mundus after his kidnapped, but not before he had his brain emptied.
As for the other two things, if you wanna take that DMC4 novel as canon, suit yourself, but I don't since it contradicts the game, and between the two media, the game is the source material so that takes precedence. And in the game there's none of that stuff you just said.
True.I only take this novel as canon since Capcom commissioned it from Bingo himself, as a "complete version of DMC4". DMC4SE still maintains part of it.
I'm just expecting DMC5 throws it into garbage can( probably with DMC3 manga too).
Now that I think about it, from all this comes the conclusion that the story is indeed inconsistent but it seems to be more of a thing of non game media rather than the games themselves
Games have no connection to each other, each one is its own thing.The irony is if we take other media out we have nothing about DMC mythos, which is what people are holding to themselves, like when Eva died, twin's age, etc.
Heh, talk about the truth that lies in the middle huh? :wink:
Just like the virtue.:smile:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Reign started out the thread by asking if the fans deserved another game based on how they reacted to DmC. I'd say if that was the litmus test for companies putting out products, we wouldn't get much of anything.

For example Marvel wouldn't put out anymore Spiderman comics after they got death threats over the Superior Spiderman storyline. Nor Twilight would stop reairing because Edward Pattison's real life fiancee got death threats over him not being with Kristen Stewart.

Compared to them we're not so bad.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
He was raised by Mundus after his kidnapped

Was that ever stated anywhere? The closest thing I can remember is Trish saying, and I quote, that Dante "lost his brother to evil 20 years ago". To evil. Not to Mundus.

So now, you can take that as Mundus taking control of him right away, but giving how vague of a wording that is, you can also take it as Vergil starting his dark path of power pursuit. Therefore, interpreting that line this way (which is what Capcom has apparently done, since Vergil is the way he is in 3), there's no contradiction.

Games have no connection to each other

Well, except 3 into 1. Which... sounds really bad but no dirty meaning intended. :whistle:

Edward Pattison's real life fiancee got death threats over him not being with Kristen Stewart.

That really a thing?! LOL, oh my gawd.

Viper

Premium
Was that ever stated anywhere? The closest thing I can remember is Trish saying, and I quote, that Dante "lost his brother to evil 20 years ago". To evil. Not to Mundus.
That's what Kamiya had planned for his Vergil, it was apparently stated in an interview and part of the fandom is aware of it being canon once upon a time till it was retconed.

Reign

@Reign started out the thread by asking if the fans deserved another game based on how they reacted to DmC. I'd say if that was the litmus test for companies putting out products, we wouldn't get much of anything.

For example Marvel wouldn't put out anymore Spiderman comics after they got death threats over the Superior Spiderman storyline. Nor Twilight would stop reairing because Edward Pattison's real life fiancee got death threats over him not being with Kristen Stewart.

Compared to them we're not so bad.

Those are bad examples. You're comparing Capcom to highly successful universes with a massive amount of fans accumulated over years of loyalty. Experimentation with Spiderman is usual and yeah, some fans couldn't handle Superior around these parts. I get what you're trying to say, but those are horrible examples to me.

This is a video game that isn't super popular, it's already small in fanbase, which is why this place hasn't really gotten a huge amount of user activity. Besides, the locals. If it were huge, we would have DMC 7 right now and be talking about how Dante's ascension to Heaven should end the series. Lol

I feel that the stories in the DMC games were lackluster, they tried several....several times to make us feel something. In DMC 3's ending, Dante's tear was a "awww" feel. In DmC's ending Vergil's betrayal was a "Aww HELL NO" feel, "Gawt D***it!", and it can be a actually tear jerker.

The thing is, DmC kept Vergil's affiliation under wraps, everything he did was reasonable, including putting down two demons with a rifle. In truth the prequel comic explained why he became so dark, he really wasn't like that at first, he was like Dante then constant use of the Devil Trigger started taking it's toll. Same thing as what happened to Dante during the entirety of the game.

We sit here and predict if Vergil's son is Nero and we didn't get confirmation until a artbook. Yet, DmC plays us, makes us think it's a linear story based on Dante. It's actually not, it's about all three characters and how their behaviors are during this. If you focus on Kat and Dante the entire game, then you're going to miss Vergil's character development. Vergil 's betrayal ****ed people off because they all thought Vergil wouldn't head in that direction. I read the prequel comic and I was waiting to see how his devil trigger ****ed him up. When he said what he did, I knew that he was irredeemable, the science behind the Devil Trigger's usage started coming together. Dante was affected by his own, but he didn't do a memory wipe like Vergil did, so his resolve is much more reinforced than Vergil's.

At a party just recently, friends of mine were engaged in a comic book debate and it led into rival characters and then into video games. During this people vocalized their opinions on DmC's Vergil vs DMC's Vergil. Nobody got angry, we all just informed one another about what happened and why. Our perspectives. DMC had one perspective, only one and everyone agreed, but when it came to DmC, people were all over the place.

"Vergil did it because he loved Kat and Dante was flirting with her."
"Vergil did it because he has power to stop omega level demons"
"Vergil did it because he wants to keep Dante safe."
"Vergil did it because he was afflicted by the Devil Trigger."

That's a pro and a con. It does mean that there were several ways to interpret Vergil's descent and reasoning. I pulled out the DmC prequel book (on my phone lol) and applied it to the conversation. That adds depth into Vergil's character, my friend looks to me and says "So a mental disorder?" and I responded with "Yep, from trying to save Dante. Strained himself and tried to reset the penalty and rescue Kat's sanity, it didn't go well." Another friend goes "He can wipe minds!? So does he remember that he has that power?" and I go "He doesn't even show affection to Kat. I don't think he knows."

We theorized the ending of Vergil's Downfall and came to this "So the devil trigger may have altered his mind wiping ability into a mind controlling ability. It turned his Nephilim abilities into overwhelmingly powerful Demon abilities. "

I feel it more fun to think about the way everything was put together and then how it all wasn't crammed in or forgotten. It's very subtle, but you gotta put the pieces together, you have the correct roadmap, you just gotta look. Ninja Theory kept it simple to casuals, but us folks here, we dissect the **** outta Devil May Cry games. At least, my group does. So the story of Vergil is a version on Dante's Inferno, if you start it at the comic, brother goes into Hell looking for brother, battles levels of demons, is affected by them, etc;

This is how you tell a story to DMC fans. You let us dig, keep it simple to those just looking to get from point A to B, let us hardcore fans put together the game's story. It's sad that the hatred for the game led people to stop at the dumbest points when digging. A lot of "this part was stupid." and "this f*** you part is immature". If you were hardcore, like most of you are, then we know the interview set the tone for what Tameem and Ninja Theory were looking to do with the F you scene. Which, is a trailer trash kind of argument, according to me.

Last edited:

Judge

I don't think there WAS another way to go. If they went with Vergil staying good, fans would complain about how he's a pansy and "ITS NOT MY VERGIL". Either way, the ending was going to go for Dante fighting Vergil because that's what their relationship has always been and will always be. It was inevitable.

Thats where I disagree to be honest. DMC3 was about the conflict with Dante and Vergil. Thats fine, but its been and done.

When NT were asked to do a reboot, they were asked to do an alternate continuity of the story. So they had creative freedom to do something different, take the story into uncharted teritory.

We've seen the Dante and Vergil conflict before, and it worked fine in DMC3... but its was a reboot, so I expected to see them reboot the story because we have the alternate Dante and Vergil story in DMC3; Capcom could've continued that in graphic novels or another game if they wanted. Since this was an alternate continuity there was no reason Capom couldn't keep both DMC and DmC running at the same time.

Doing comics, manga, anime, whatever really. They really didn't need to make DmC about another conflict between Dante and Vergil. They could have used the creative freedom to do something different.

@Reign

Wouldn't it have been great if in the end we found out that Vergil's intel and his actions were being made in conjuction with the mysterious angels; who we never see in the game. The whole time we think Vergil is acting of his own accord, but he's being manipulated by the angels who have a secret agenda. They manipulate Vergil from removing Mundus from power because they can't do it themselves.

There were so many places I think NT could've taken their DmC universe, that I feel you just coulnd't accomplish with Capcom and their DMC universe.

Last edited:

Reign

@Judge

It would be great if anything alluded to the angels aside from our missing demon friend. I really wish it would've happened. I hope they give us what I feel we "non violent, non bias" fans deserve. Which is back to back games.

Last edited:

Reign

DmC got a "upgrade" however. Is that really the sign of a failed game? It was popular enough to warrent it. DmC2 seems worthwhile if part 1 can get a "upgrade."

It's worthy of doing so. Right now, from what I've been seeing, NT's Tameem and a few others are working on Hellblade. Once that's done, I believe we'll get to see what NT' has been doing with it's main team. I think the last thing NT reported was the breakthrough in technology. I think they found a new way to motion capture faces.

Angellic involvement is what I'd like to see. I wanna see their designs. I wanna see an Celestial Trigger. I bet it's going to have a lot to do with teleportation, dashes, and counters.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF they had some good ideas.

Last edited:

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I wanna see a Celestial Trigger. I bet it's going to have a lot to do with teleportation, dashes, and counters.

But that Celestial Trigger is almost an exact replica of Vergil's DT.

I think that's what they were going for here: The Angels are pious, but arrogant (like Vergil) while the demons are proud, but still aren't afraid to do what's necessary (like Dante).

Reign

But that Celestial Trigger is almost an exact replica of Vergil's DT.

I think that's what they were going for here: The Angels are pious, but arrogant (like Vergil) while the demons are proud, but still aren't afraid to do what's necessary (like Dante).
Interesting, I didn't think of it like that. We just need a tinsy tiny bit of information on the angels and we should be able to elaborate on our theories!

Capcom, you must bring us more!

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I think we do deserve a DMC 5, but it'd have to be quite soon (in the next 2-3 years). Also, I'd say we deserve a DmC 2 also. I know that there would be an uproar amongst DMC fans if they did a DmC 2 first, mostly because of how long they've been waiting for 5 to come out. I can't say that I'd blame them, but in an ideal world both games should get sequels, and everyone should be happy.

If it had to be one over the other, I'd simply pick the original series because it already consists of 4 games and 2 special editions. And after this amount of time gone by would be the better decision to keep a large majority of the fanbase happy. Not only that, but because of the number of games in the original series it would be good to have some continuation. As of now we've had a special edition for a game that was 7-8 years old, and that's it.

Don't get me wrong, I love DmC, and I'm damn certain that it's worthy of a sequel. I just don't think they'd put it before the original series in terms of priority. It definitely deserves a sequel though, and it'd be a shame if it never gets one.

Judge

It's worthy of doing so. Right now, from what I've been seeing, NT's Tameem and a few others are working on Hellblade. Once that's done, I believe we'll get to see what NT' has been doing with it's main team. I think the last thing NT reported was the breakthrough in technology. I think they found a new way to motion capture faces.

Angellic involvement is what I'd like to see. I wanna see their designs. I wanna see an Celestial Trigger. I bet it's going to have a lot to do with teleportation, dashes, and counters.

I did not like how the DT was red coat and white hair. I wanted DmC to difine itself as different continuity. They had good ideas like a Celestial Trigger, they didn't use it. I thought maybe the PS3/360 didn't have the capability do what they wanted because they had to run the game at 30FPS... Then Vergil's Downfall came out with that amazing Doppleganger DT, and it was disapointing they do as good of a job with Dante's DT.

I don't think NT are secretly doing DmC2. I think its possible their doing Heavenly Sword 2 or even Enslaved 2, but I think DmC just didn't sell enough copies for Capcom to commission a sequel. Or they might be doing a big budget game for a third party publisher, but I don't think that game is DmC2.

I think in the rare possibilty Hellblade becomes a massive success; then its possible NT will get asked to do DmC2. Depends on what they accomplish with Hellblade imo.

Reign

I did not like how the DT was red coat and white hair. I wanted DmC to difine itself as different continuity. They had good ideas like a Celestial Trigger, they didn't use it. I thought maybe the PS3/360 didn't have the capability do what they wanted because they had to run the game at 30FPS... Then Vergil's Downfall came out with that amazing Doppleganger DT, and it was disapointing they do as good of a job with Dante's DT.

I don't think NT are secretly doing DmC2. I think its possible their doing Heavenly Sword 2 or even Enslaved 2, but I think DmC just didn't sell enough copies for Capcom to commission a sequel. Or they might be doing a big budget game for a third party publisher, but I don't think that game is DmC2.

I think in the rare possibilty Hellblade becomes a massive success; then its possible NT will get asked to do DmC2. Depends on what they accomplish with Hellblade imo.
It is a reboot/reimagining. The white hair was meant to happen from constant use of the DT.

I think they have written the script for DmC2. They were really excited to do DmC, I won't put it past them.

Hellblade wouldn't usher in the chance to do DmC2. It's all about if they feel we deserve DmC2 or if they wanna deal with the hate again. Probably not. Hell, if anything, they probably already declined the sequel due to the backlash. DMC could become what Megaman X is. I mean, it was certainly meant to.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I keep seeing that statement about how 'DmC didn't sell enough copies'. But I always thought that, for a DMC game, it had sold quite well. Or am I wrong in thinking that?

Top Bottom