• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Do we deserve a DMC 5 or DmC 2?

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
The people who want DMC5 to continue always seem to have all these theories about how DMC5 would feature a continuation of DMC3's story (which was finished in DMC3) as opposed to continuing DMC4's story.

Weird, I recall most actually wanting DMC5 to either take place after DMC4 (explaining Dante's DMC2 personality as well as expanding on Nero's origin) or have it take place after DMC2 (revealing whether or not Dante got out of Hell), I honestly do not remember many of the fanbase wanting DMC5 to take place after DMC3 since DMC3 lead to DMC1 in a believable (although not perfect) way so there where some finality to the point leading up to DMC1 and no unfinished answers since we see what became of Vergil at the end of DM3 which leads to Nelo Angelo as well as seeing Dante open up his shop.

Judge

Weird, I recall most actually wanting DMC5 to either take place after DMC4 (explaining Dante's DMC2 personality as well as expanding on Nero's origin) or have it take place after DMC2 (revealing whether or not Dante got out of Hell), I honestly do not remember many of the fanbase wanting DMC5 to take place after DMC3 since DMC3 lead to DMC1 in a believable (although not perfect) way so there where some finality to the point leading up to DMC1 and no unfinished answers since we see what became of Vergil at the end of DM3 which leads to Nelo Angelo as well as seeing Dante open up his shop.

When I say a lot fans wanted DMC3 to continue, I know there was an element of finality to it. What I was reffering to was how a lot of fans wanted DMC3's story to continue with respect to Vergil's return (which Capcom acknowledged in DMC4 SE). They didn't want Nero to continue as the main character, despite DMC4 being set up for Nero to take over as the main character. A lot of the fans were quite vocal about having Dante return as the main character for DMC5, with Vergil also returning in a substantial supporting role.

I know there were also fans who came on board with DMC4 being their first game in the series. They were obviously interested in DMC4 continuing, since they had no idea why DmC existed when there were so many loose ends with DMC4.

Personally I think continuing Nero would have been the best option, since trying to salvage the lost cause that was DMC2 never seemed a reasonable option. I think thats why Capcom tried to distance DMC3 and DMC4 as far from DMC2 as possible. Excluding Dante, none of the characters are used in DMC after DMC2. Theres been no attempt (that I know of) from Capcom to try and connect DMC4 to DMC2. Only an attempt to carve a new course for the series with Nero as the main charater, that course never appeared to include DMC2 as a destination.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
When I say a lot fans wanted DMC3 to continue, I know there was an element of finality to it. What I was reffering to was how a lot of fans wanted DMC3's story to continue with respect to Vergil's return (which Capcom acknowledged in DMC4 SE). They didn't want Nero to continue as the main character, despite DMC4 being set up for Nero to take over as the main character. .

Still do not recall many fans wanting a sequel to DMC3, and if anything concerning a Vergil return I would be sure that they would rather it be after DMC1 since a lot of fans still debate whether or not he died as Nelo Angelo and would want a game after that marking Vergils return/resurrection.

Regarding the rest of your post, a lot of the dislike for DMC4 was that Nero took over as the main lead from Dante, there was always a general interest in the story of DMC4 itself enough for people to want it to continue namely Nero's origin story (how he is related to Sparda) was the main driving point behind this, I was not saying that Nero should stay on as the main character for us to get his origin story in a hypothetical DMC5 sequel, I was saying that he could stay on (maybe as the secondary protagonist) to have his story fleshed out more while we go back to having Dante as the main lead once again (pretty much a reversal of DMC4 with Dante as lead instead of Nero) and it could possibly lead into DMC2 and provide some kind of explanation from a story standpoint why he is the way he is in DMC2.

And Capcom did acknowledge DMC2 in DMC4's history mode which chronicles the games in storyline order with DMC2 being last so obviously DMC2 was still considered very much a part of the series at the time of DMC4. I'm not the biggest fan of DMC2 other than liking Dante's design in it the best, but I still would love a game leading up to it (explaining Dante's personality change from a story standpoint) or taking place after it (showing Dante's ordeal of breaking out of hell).

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Foxtrot94
I made that up. It was me using my out of practice writing skills at work:cool::blush:.

Glad you liked it.
@Judge
At the time I was more fond of seeing more young Dante than spending more time with Nero so that's what the appeal of DMC3 was to me. Outside of seeing Vergil come back of course.

Back at the time I think people wanted more closure towards 2 and whatever Nero's origins so that's why they wanted DMC5.

People were upset about the Prince of Persia reboot and the cancelled Jak and Daxter one so NT never stood a chance with DmC.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I don't think that fans "deserve" anything. However I do believe by continued support of both Capcom and DMC that maybe one day our patience will be rewarded. The only thing I fear is that we do get a DMC5 and it's not what we wanted.

People were upset about the Prince of Persia reboot
Still salty that we never got a continuation of that. :'(

Judge

Still do not recall many fans wanting a sequel to DMC3, and if anything concerning a Vergil return I would be sure that they would rather it be after DMC1 since a lot of fans still debate whether or not he died as Nelo Angelo and would want a game after that marking Vergils return/resurrection.

Regarding the rest of your post, a lot of the dislike for DMC4 was that Nero took over as the main lead from Dante, there was always a general interest in the story of DMC4 itself enough for people to want it to continue namely Nero's origin story (how he is related to Sparda) was the main driving point behind this, I was not saying that Nero should stay on as the main character for us to get his origin story in a hypothetical DMC5 sequel, I was saying that he could stay on (maybe as the secondary protagonist) to have his story fleshed out more while we go back to having Dante as the main lead once again (pretty much a reversal of DMC4 with Dante as lead instead of Nero) and it could possibly lead into DMC2 and provide some kind of explanation from a story standpoint why he is the way he is in DMC2.

Maybe I said the wrong thing if I said sequel. What I meant was rather than continue with Nelo Angelo after DMC1. A lot of fans wanted Vergil to continue as he was in DMC3. As Z218 said, and a lot of other people said; they wanted Dante to return as the main character with Vergil back in some form of role similar to DMC3, rather than how he appeared in DMC1. So a potential DMC5 would feature a story after DMC1/4 but continue with the way DMC3 developed the Dante-Vergil dynamic. As opposed to continuing with Neros story. Which was the most logical place to go.

I also liked DMC2 Dante, and I didn't think DMC2 was that bad. But the gameplay was poor. I saw nothing wrong with the story, which was pretty straightforward compared to DMC4 which had too many loose ends.

MOD EDIT: Posts merged

Oh and I also like the Prince of Persia 2008. Thought it was a great game. Unfortunately even though it sold what 2mil copies? They still didn't want to continue it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reign

Nero was meant to handle the mantle or at least be a third character for us to like. Then the community lost their minds because of Nero's involvement. Though, it's hinted that he's connected to Vergil, there is no way to deny that people hated him for seemingly replacing Dante. Then you got to play as Dante in the same game.

Imagine this. A Vergil, Dante, and Nero game centered around them interacting with each other in the world. It'd be great to see Vergil look behind him to Nero and tell him to join "The Order". So much potential that our "outspoken fans" could've squandered.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
As much as I want a game that combines DMC 1,2,3,4, Anime, and DmC into one game... I say go for a DmC part 2. Their is still much to explore in DmC's world. I think Capcom should pursue that because its new, fresh and edgy. DMC5 feels redundant, what other big bad demon can Dante slay and how else can they shoe horn Vergil into it? Although Nero deserves a solo game. That boy needs attention damn it!

Reign

As much as I want a game that combines DMC 1,2,3,4, Anime, and DmC into one game... I say go for a DmC part 2. Their is still much to explore in DmC's world. I think Capcom should pursue that because its new, fresh and edgy. DMC5 feels redundant, what other big bad demon can Dante slay and how else can they shoe horn Vergil into it? Although Nero deserves a solo game. That boy needs attention damn it!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNN

Dante being invincible is what kills any challenge. We'd have to do a game with a character that's able to combat him. Not a doppleganger in blue.....a la Shadow the Hedgehog, Protoman, etc.

Dante needs to be shown getting absolutely destroyed in the opening sequence. Disappearing from the scene for a while and then coming back with DMC 2 attitude, like just a "I mean business" demeanor would help him tremendously. I want him to suffer to become much more stoic and less, "I can't die so I'll just be killing everyone at my own pace now."

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
That would be cool, however as it stands, a DmC 2 is risky. And Capcom's about done with taking risk with all their western-made games. Capcom is the type of company to play it safe, so naturally they'd do a DMC5 with some hacked up human turned demon villian again, and have Dante, Vergil, and Nero in it to appeal to the fans that they lost with DmC. Yeah, it would probably have a mediocre villian, a predictable plot, and character development as flat as a board, but hey; its what to expect from the classic Devil May Cry series because what's important is how cool the characters are, how big and gothic the world is, and how great and inventive the gameplay would be.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Yeah, it would probably have a mediocre villian, a predictable plot

Please don't take this the wrong way, you know I don't mean to assault ya, but I don't get how you can say this talking specifically about the originals when a mediocre villain and a predictable plot were very much a thing in DmC as well (come on, don't tell me that Mundus was so great, nor that anyone didn't expect him to be defeated and Vergil turn out to be the final baddie).

its what to expect from the classic Devil May Cry series because what's important is how cool the characters are, how big and gothic the world is, and how great and inventive the gameplay would be.

Now, I know you probably intended this to be ironic, and if you didn't I apologize for the misunderstanding, but it's actually genuinely true. It's a videogame, and an over the top action game at that. What's important IS how cool the characters are and how good the gameplay is (the latter in particular, cause once again, it's a videogame). I don't see how you can sell that as a negative. :laugh:
Not to say that things like character development are better off left out, after all DMC1, 3 and DmC had it to various degrees but at the same time, I think we can both agree they're not exactly a priority nor the most important things in this kind of game. You know, the kind of things that would make or break it.

Last edited:

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Foxtrot94: I don't know man. I completely understand your point, and I mostly agree with you. However, you can't deny that a lot of fans have been asking for them to up their game in terms of plot and development.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
@Foxtrot94: I don't know man. I completely understand your point, and I mostly agree with you. However, you can't deny that a lot of fans have been asking for them to up their game in terms of plot and development.

Oh I know but at the same time, I also know what happens when you overdo it and prioritize that over all the rest... *cough cough* The Order 1886 *cough cough*
I don't want to risk that when it comes to DMC, you know what I mean?

But anyway, I didn't say they shouldn't up their game with those things, I was just kinda... baffled... that things like cool characters and great gameplay were seemingly talked about as something that should be secondary to plot and character development in a game of this genre.
Again, he might have been serious and not ironic when he said it so I might have gotten the wrong impression and in that case, I apologize again. It's just how it looked like to me.

But maybe all this talk is off topic, so... yeah.

Judge

Please don't take this the wrong way, you know I don't mean to assault ya, but I don't get how you can say this talking specifically about the originals when a mediocre villain and a predictable plot were very much a thing in DmC as well (come on, don't tell me that Mundus was so great, nor that anyone didn't expect him to be defeated and Vergil turn out to be the final baddie).

I was disappointed with how the ending was handled as well to be honest. They did a copy and paste of DMC3's Vergil and Dante confrontation. There was an opportunity to do a lot more with the ending but they chosed to do apease fans who were going to hate it whatever they did.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Oh, I know DmC was predictable, but I was referring specifically to the original since most of their games aren't exactly deep in story. Yeah, DmC isn't exactly winning awards for story either.

Now, I know you probably intended this to be ironic, and if you didn't I apologize for the misunderstanding, but it's actually genuinely true. It's a videogame, and an over the top action game at that. What's important IS how cool the characters are and how good the gameplay is (the latter in particular, cause once again, it's a videogame). I don't see how you can sell that as a negative. :laugh:
I was being honest though, and I agree with you. That IS what Devil May Cry is known for. Some fans will want to have a little more weight to the story and characters (me included) but now a days I realize that a series like Devil May Cry doesn't really need all that. It just has to focus on its look, its world, and its gameplay since that's what's brought the series to where it is now.
Ironically, it's like Tameen once said "Better to tell a simple story well, then tell a complicated story told badly."

I was disappointed with how the ending was handled as well to be honest. They did a copy and paste of DMC3's Vergil and Dante confrontation. There was an opportunity to do a lot more with the ending but they chosed to do apease fans who were going to hate it whatever they did.

I don't think there WAS another way to go. If they went with Vergil staying good, fans would complain about how he's a pansy and "ITS NOT MY VERGIL". Either way, the ending was going to go for Dante fighting Vergil because that's what their relationship has always been and will always be. It was inevitable.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Nobody here ever asked a complicated story: DMC has a basic, simple story and that is fine.The problem is the canon's consistency is null: Capcom is totally incapable of doing a story that makes sense at all. Anyone here who is/was involved with DMC wikia (me included) will tell you that is absolutely impossible to find concrete data about anything in DMC universe and if we find it, it is totally contradictory. This is a story a 13 years old could do easy.If story was just acessory, DMC would be just Bloody Palace.
Now if they think that DMC will subsist only in cool looking characters and gameplay, they are wrong.That was fine in 90's/2000's, but not now. DMC rivals have already done better and there are already fans complaining about DMC gameplay.
it's like Tameen once said "Better to tell a simple story well, then tell a complicated story told badly."
He was right, but DMC fails at it.
I don't think there WAS another way to go. If they went with Vergil staying good, fans would complain about how he's a pansy and "ITS NOT MY VERGIL". Either way, the ending was going to go for Dante fighting Vergil because that's what their relationship has always been and will always be. It was inevitable.
"Fans" got everything wrong about Dante's/Vergil's and it's Capcom who says that. Immediately after DMC3 release , Trinity of Fates was released too, in order to explain "exactly" what was going there. Author goes as far as saying "this is how it should be read/understood".
That's why Vergil should never be brought again into a DMC, if everything he is allowed to do is playing "baddy" ad nauseum .
Fans are already thowing a tantrum over the fact the wins team up in PXZ2 and collaborated with each other and even banter, ending with Vergil expressing he wants to meet Dante once again.

Now the answer to the one million question: no, I don't deserve a DMC or DmC game, because Capcom doesn't own me anything, but if I get something, I'll be grateful

Last edited:

Veloran

Now if they think that DMC will subsist only in cool looking characters and gameplay, they are wrong.That was fine in 90's/2000's, but not now. DMC rivals have already done better and there are already fans complaining about DMC gameplay.
Devil May Cry's main rivals are Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden, and I'd say both have worse stories than DMC. NG definitely, Bayonetta is a bit arguable but I feel like they fumble things there a whole lot.

He was right, but DMC fails at it.
I think it succeeds fairly often. The issue, to me, is that they tried too much too fast on the technical side of DMC4 and were left unable to realize the story at that point. Otherwise 1 and 3 were both good, and DMC2 is a flub. Overall I'd say it's like three-fifths success, given that 4 was hardly half there.

That's why Vergil should never be brought again into a DMC, if everything he is allowed to do is playing "baddy" ad nauseum .
Fans are already thowing a tantrum over the fact the wins team up in PXZ2 and collaborated with each other and even banter, ending with Vergil expressing he wants to meet Dante once again.
I don't remember people being upset at that at all. Dante and Vergil teaming up is often cited as one of the big highlights of 3, and, personally speaking, when I hear people asking for him to come back it's very rarely as a purely antagonistic character.

Gel

Premium
Devil May Cry's main rivals are Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden, and I'd say both have worse stories than DMC. NG definitely, Bayonetta is a bit arguable but I feel like they fumble things there a whole lot.
Just I mention before: DMC fails in keeping its consistency in terms of canon. Not only they can't keep simple things consistent ( like how Sparda vanished), as much of what is said about DMC are mythos without basis.
I think it succeeds fairly often. The issue, to me, is that they tried too much too fast on the technical side of DMC4 and were left unable to realize the story at that point. Otherwise 1 and 3 were both good, and DMC2 is a flub. Overall I'd say it's like three-fifths success, given that 4 was hardly half there.
No much what people say about DMC3, I liked it and I played it until exhaustion. DMC4 is a failure( according to myself) because it had so much to offer but it failed miserably.
I don't remember people being upset at that at all. Dante and Vergil teaming up is often cited as one of the big highlights of 3, and, personally speaking, when I hear people asking for him to come back it's very rarely as a purely antagonistic character
In every youtube video of PXZ2 (where the twins are present) people whine about how friendly they are and Vergil must be EVIIIILLL, even if official data says otherwise.
I will elaborate later because I'm gonna work now.

Veloran

Just I mention before: DMC fails in keeping its consistency in terms of canon. Not only they can't keep simple things consistent ( like how Sparda vanished), as much of what is said about DMC are mythos without basis.
I don't agree with that. Generally the only real inconsistencies have to do with retcons to things from DMC1, like Vergil having been captured at the same time Eva died. But overall I don't think DMC is particularly inconsistent at all.

No much what people say about DMC3, I liked it and I played it until exhaustion. DMC4 is a failure( according to myself) because it had so much to offer but it failed miserably.
As I said, with 4 I believe they got ahead of themselves and tried to do too much without the technical aspects of the game being able to match in to what they wanted, and they were forced to leave a lot on the cutting room floor.

In every youtube video of PXZ2 (where the twins are present) people whine about how friendly they are and Vergil must be EVIIIILLL, even if official data says otherwise.
I'm looking at a few now and I don't see much of that at all. In fact primarily it would just be confusion as to how Vergil from 3 and Dante from 1 are interacting and when everything takes place.

Gel

Premium
I don't agree with that. Generally the only real inconsistencies have to do with retcons to things from DMC1, like Vergil having been captured at the same time Eva died. But overall I don't think DMC is particularly inconsistent at all.
Take Sparda as example: he is dead in DMC1, he is said as having disappeared in DMC3 and Sparda in DMC4 his destiny is given as unknown or not mentioned at all.In DMC1 Dante never knew his father, because he died/disappeared as soon as he knew Eva was pregnant, in DMC 3 Dante knew him in persona,in DMC4 , Dante gives a d*mn about his father.
We have at least 4 "Vergil": one who was always Mundus servant and can't recognize Dante; DMC3 Vergil was always free and conscious of his choices, DMC1 novel gives us a Vergil who is self conscious and hates Dante with all his guts, at the point of following wherever he goes, only to destroy anything Dante owns/cares and finally we have a Vergil who is a father and is very affectionate towards his child, at the point of save/resurrect him.
If this is not inconsistent, I don't know what it is.
Now we have to be careful, because we are derailing a thread and we don't it to be closed.

Top Bottom