• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Sales so far

snausages

DMC4 did sell better but DmC does not suck. I'm not really sure what part of this discussion bothers you.

snausages

Then let it fade into obscurity rather than locking it. You might be the topic creator but I don't see why you need to set the terms for discussion.

XDmC12345X

#BringBackTheStupidFiles
Then let it fade into obscurity rather than locking it. You might be the topic creator but I don't see why you need to set the terms for discussion.
I just dont want every person who hates this game to come and bring up mgr sales and bayonetta and dmc4 and gow acension

D H

I hope a sequel gets made. DmC deserves to continue and if Capcom even decides to make another Devil May Cry that's just going back to the original series so soon, then you know they are just selling out. DmC only came out about a month ago though so this ain't bad. Nowadays if you want to sell millions upon millions of copies of a game, then you better make a stupid military shooter. Every other genre is hardly even on the radar anymore.

Yes, it is bad. Most games sell the majority of the copies they will within the first month, and that has been historically accurate for Devil May Cry as well. DmC sold 610,000 copies or less within the first month despite the marketing push and the good reviews and sales are slowing to an absolute crawl. There is a reason Capcom slashed their shipments by 800,000. Now Capcom is basically letting DmC die quietly as I have yet to see a single tv spot, online advertisment, youtube ad, or anything like that in over a month.

Capcom seriously miscalculated their ability to drawn in a new fanbase and bring back the old. About half way through development, after seeing they weren't getting a new audience, they went into panic mode with the whole "This is still the Devil May Cry you know!" and "It's still hardcore!" as well as "We've got key members of the previous team working on the game... it's got DMC DNA... it's got more depth than ever... it's still as hardcore as ever!" Think of how this sounded to a "casual gamer" or a newcomer: Capcom is literally saying "It's the same game with a different coat of paint!" to them. If a person didn't buy a Devil May Cry game before because they didn't like how it played or whatever, why exactly would they buy a game that is said to be so similar to what they already didn't like? So that drove Capcom's target market away. Meanwhile, the "Hardcore" group wasn't gonna budge until the game went from 30 fps to 60 fps as well as having the Style System brought back at a minimum... something Capcom and Ninja Theory not only were unwilling to do in the Style System case, but unable to do on the consoles for the 30 FPS thing. And then there is yet another group Capcom lost: The "Casual Fan" (I'm not coining this term or anything, it's been used before). A "Casual Fan" is someone who like the series, but isn't exactly "hardcore" about it nor particularly well informed or up to date. They see advertisements for a new game in the series, and they go buy it. So for these uninformed fans... imagine seeing the "DmC: Devil may Cry" label with someone who looked nothing like Dante, seeing the initial trailer which seemed nothing like the original series, and then seeing nothing but negativity surrounding the series. What possible reason doe they have to buy the game?

So basically, Capcom made a game that appealed to no one. A large portion of fans for the original series were extremely ****ed off and still are; newcomers kept hearing conflicting information and saw nothing but negativity surrounding the title for 3 years and were basically told "It's the same thing you didn't like before" by PR; "Casual Fans" didn't know what the hell to make of it, nor were they really inclined to figure it out; and the "Casual" market found it still to be too zany and out there to even bother with it.

Had Capcom handled their PR the least bit competently and didn't intentionally provoke fans in the beginning (that was their whole plan: Stir up controversy and ride the wave to higher sales), DmC would probably have done much better. Capcom has no one but themselves to blame on this one.

And this whole situation makes Devil May Cry 5 all the more unlikely. Devil May Cry 4 came out 5 years ago as Nero as the protagonist, not Dante. The last time Dante was a protagonist was back in Devil May Cry 3, a whopping 8 years ago. By the time they get another DMC out by 2015 like Capcom wants to, the original Dante would not have been in the spotlight for over 7 years and wouldn't have been a protagonist in over 10. That isn't the only issue. No. DmC has literally shattered the fanbase. Fans are ****ed left and right, they do nothing but bicker with each other on most other sites, and trolling abounds. It's worse than the Final Fantasy fanbase at the moment. There is no garuntee that fans won't just turn their back on the franchise and that a Devil May Cry 5 won't be a sales disappointment as well. Heck, the former Devil May Cry 2, 3, and 4 team has already been tasked with making the sequel to Dragon's Dogma and Kobayashi is busy with the Sengoku Basara sequel... what does that tell you about the chances of a Devil May Cry 5?

So if sales don't start picking up soon, there won't be a DmC 2 as development costs are rumored to go up a minimum of 20% next gen. If DmC has barely broke even (610,000 copies sold = $16,470,000 when everything is said and done... and I doubt that 3 years of full production and over a year of preproduction cost under 16.5 million, so there is actually the chance that DmC actually won't break even at all) with current dev costs, then there is no way it will break even with next gen dev costs. But no DmC 2 doesn't make Devil May Cry 5 likely as the former team is working on several other projects. So at this point, the most likely thing to happen is that Capcom shelves the series for the time being (it's not like Capcom hasn't shelved large franchises before).

Overall, things are not looking good. And really, if this is how Devil May Cry dies... it'll be a shame.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Yes, it is bad. Most games sell the majority of the copies they will within the first month, and that has been historically accurate for Devil May Cry as well. DmC sold 610,000 copies or less within the first month despite the marketing push and the good reviews and sales are slowing to an absolute crawl. There is a reason Capcom slashed their shipments by 800,000. Now Capcom is basically letting DmC die quietly as I have yet to see a single tv spot, online advertisment, youtube ad, or anything like that in over a month.

Capcom seriously miscalculated their ability to drawn in a new fanbase and bring back the old. About half way through development, after seeing they weren't getting a new audience, they went into panic mode with the whole "This is still the Devil May Cry you know!" and "It's still hardcore!" as well as "We've got key members of the previous team working on the game... it's got DMC DNA... it's got more depth than ever... it's still as hardcore as ever!" Think of how this sounded to a "casual gamer" or a newcomer: Capcom is literally saying "It's the same game with a different coat of paint!" to them. If a person didn't buy a Devil May Cry game before because they didn't like how it played or whatever, why exactly would they buy a game that is said to be so similar to what they already didn't like? So that drove Capcom's target market away. Meanwhile, the "Hardcore" group wasn't gonna budge until the game went from 30 fps to 60 fps as well as having the Style System brought back at a minimum... something Capcom and Ninja Theory not only were unwilling to do in the Style System case, but unable to do on the consoles for the 30 FPS thing. And then there is yet another group Capcom lost: The "Casual Fan" (I'm not coining this term or anything, it's been used before). A "Casual Fan" is someone who like the series, but isn't exactly "hardcore" about it nor particularly well informed or up to date. They see advertisements for a new game in the series, and they go buy it. So for these uninformed fans... imagine seeing the "DmC: Devil may Cry" label with someone who looked nothing like Dante, seeing the initial trailer which seemed nothing like the original series, and then seeing nothing but negativity surrounding the series. What possible reason doe they have to buy the game?

So basically, Capcom made a game that appealed to no one. A large portion of fans for the original series were extremely ****ed off and still are; newcomers kept hearing conflicting information and saw nothing but negativity surrounding the title for 3 years and were basically told "It's the same thing you didn't like before" by PR; "Casual Fans" didn't know what the hell to make of it, nor were they really inclined to figure it out; and the "Casual" market found it still to be too zany and out there to even bother with it.

Had Capcom handled their PR the least bit competently and didn't intentionally provoke fans in the beginning (that was their whole plan: Stir up controversy and ride the wave to higher sales), DmC would probably have done much better. Capcom has no one but themselves to blame on this one.

And this whole situation makes Devil May Cry 5 all the more unlikely. Devil May Cry 4 came out 5 years ago as Nero as the protagonist, not Dante. The last time Dante was a protagonist was back in Devil May Cry 3, a whopping 8 years ago. By the time they get another DMC out by 2015 like Capcom wants to, the original Dante would not have been in the spotlight for over 7 years and wouldn't have been a protagonist in over 10. That isn't the only issue. No. DmC has literally shattered the fanbase. Fans are ****ed left and right, they do nothing but bicker with each other on most other sites, and trolling abounds. It's worse than the Final Fantasy fanbase at the moment. There is no garuntee that fans won't just turn their back on the franchise and that a Devil May Cry 5 won't be a sales disappointment as well. Heck, the former Devil May Cry 2, 3, and 4 team has already been tasked with making the sequel to Dragon's Dogma and Kobayashi is busy with the Sengoku Basara sequel... what does that tell you about the chances of a Devil May Cry 5?

So if sales don't start picking up soon, there won't be a DmC 2 as development costs are rumored to go up a minimum of 20% next gen. If DmC has barely broke even (610,000 copies sold = $16,470,000 when everything is said and done... and I doubt that 3 years of full production and over a year of preproduction cost under 16.5 million, so there is actually the chance that DmC actually won't break even at all) with current dev costs, then there is no way it will break even with next gen dev costs. But no DmC 2 doesn't make Devil May Cry 5 likely as the former team is working on several other projects. So at this point, the most likely thing to happen is that Capcom shelves the series for the time being (it's not like Capcom hasn't shelved large franchises before).

Overall, things are not looking good. And really, if this is how Devil May Cry dies... it'll be a shame.
Well I'm a hardcore Devil May Cry fan and have been since the demo showed up with Code Veronica. I think I know more than most what Devil May Cry is all about and DmC still has that. I don't want to see a Devil May Cry 5 so soon because I'm all for a little something called creative integrity. As much as I spent with DmC already the combat is no less deep than its predecessors but it is more accessible. The door opened for a few other people but they didn't lower the ceiling regardless of what you think. I can do stuff in DmC I've never able been able to do before and it's sitting on something good when it comes to gameplay. It's more comfortable and I'm glad the style system is out. I prefer the hybrid instead of a rather forced system that has you limit yourself to one move set at a time.

My biggest gripe with the game is just the color coded enemy combinations. The combat has a mass variety and is stock full of potential when you experiment not only with streamline methods but even when you decide to play in a more unorthodox manner. 30 to 60, I don't care because I can't tell the difference. Dante in DmC still has very fluid animations and every swing of that sword can be seen. The game still works exactly how I expect Devil May Cry to be, responsive and fast. So many games run on 30fps and so many games also run on Unreal. My personal favorite engine is the R.A.G.E. but you still have a game with Unreal. A lot of your games run on it.

I don't care about Sengoku Basara because I didn't like the show and Dynasty Warriors is so boring. DmC deserves to continue because it sure as hell isn't a bad Devil May Cry and is a good game. Honestly it's a shame so many people just refused to give it a fair shot simply out of spite and very trivial reasons. Fanboys will be fanboys. I sure as hell don't want to see another DMC 4. That's the worst in the entire series and I roasted some hot dogs on that burning disc years ago.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
His father abandoned him, his mother and brother when he was an infant, then shortly after demons kicked in the door to his house and brutally murdered his mum. With that in mind the player comes to their own conclusions as to why he's such a prick, and can suppose why Dante would have turned out so differently. 3 even implies that they used to work together a year before the game and even killed demons together ("What is you used to say?" "JACKPOT!", which also sets up the fact that Dante avenges Vergil by saying the same thing!).

It's all there for you, all you need is imagination.
I know Vergil's history and the events that made him who he is, I have no issue with that, but all that info I learned from outside material not the game's plot as a whole. If I had to go entirely on the merits of DMC3's story all I would be able to figure out about Vergil was that he is Dante's cooler calmer twin who is obsessed with becoming powerful like his father. It gives next to no info on Vergil's mom dying and him being powerless to save her. Like I said I don't need it spelled out for me, I'm a writer and I know that can be the death of a storyline but just one tiny droplet of that would have made for a better story as far as Vergil is concerned.

As for DmC's story, I of course know it's far from award winning but it's a least good at what it's supposed to be, a fun and cohesive little tale about a douche bag growing up a bit and becoming a non douche and the mini family drama of his secretly way more of an asshole brother. I don't know if their actual intentions were to make something revolutionary in that department. I can say I agree with a lot of the plot twist being very obvious. The only reason I can't personally knock it for that is that I can typically figure out what will happen in most movie/game/book storylines pretty easily so I have never met a plot twist I didn't see coming. Also the fact that it's a DMC game and almost all DMC games have Dante fighting Vergil in some form or another.

Fran0823

DmC and DMC why can't we have both?
I could bet ANYTHING that a hypothetical DMC5 would have the same if not less sales than DmC. Just like Im sure that GOW:A will be nowhere near the sales of GOWIII

It's a market thing, if you're not a military shooter or FIFA, you're screwed right now. When next gen begins, everything will pick up the slack

snausages

DmC is significantly less deep than its predecessors. Whatever about its other merits, that is one thing that is beyond dispute. You don't need to have been a fan since the CV demo bundle to see that.

Nekodark

If you don't care about the implications poor sales might have for this series then I'm not sure why you bothered to post. It's nice that you enjoy DmC but there's a very real possibility that it will be the last. Games don't get green-lighted on a whim.

You know, just got back and read the rest of the post and it is funny you say this to me then down the line tell someone they can't dictate what someone post or talk about...do remember what you say to others before saying something opposite to someone else not hard to follow tbh but yeah to answer your question as long as I am talking about what the topic is I can post whatever I want..no rule on that as you pointed out too. peace man!

snausages

You know, just got back and read the rest of the post and it is funny you say this to me then down the line tell someone they can't dictate what someone post or talk about...do remember what you say to others before saying something opposite to someone else not hard to follow tbh but yeah to answer your question as long as I am talking about what the topic is I can post whatever I want..no rule on that as you pointed out too. peace man!
I'm not dictating terms, you can post whatever you want. I just don't see why you would come into a topic about sales just to say "I don't care".

Like DH said, this goes beyond just DmC and DmC2. There's also the strong likelihood of no Devil May Cry whatsoever. And that would be tragic.

Awake

Under the Promised Flag
I find it hilarious that people say..."oh I have been a Devil May Cry fan since the first game or the game had a demo with veronica" and have the decency to say that DmC plays or is a Devil May Cry game...there is an obvious difference...even seth kilian knew about it before he left capcom...the interviews at the time he said the game was alright but you can't expect a capcom employee to talk smack about their own game...hell even one of the guys that worked on MVC 3 that was part of the DMC team didn't like how the game was going...behold the whole reason OG Dante and Vergil were in MVC 3...everyone who says that the new DmC is better im going to use the exact same words tameem used on the original fan base...they are all sheep and tameem is your sheperd

Mister Z

Changes avatars like they were t-shirts
Shame if the DMC series gets shelved altogether, but, speaking entirely for myself, I won't cry for it. I've just already been there and seen so many of my favorite franchises get shelved or stopped altogether that eventually feeling very upset about them gone seemed pointless. TimeSplitters, Bloody Roar, Killer-Instinct, even some franchises that aren't "dead" yet, but might as well be, like Banjo-Kazooie, F-Zero and some games that barely spawned a franchise like Okami. Pity they didn't last, but I've always been able to find a new series to try and enjoy or look back at older games I missed.

It's not like the older games of the series are suddenly going to destroy themselves anyway, so even if no more entries are produced, it doesn't stop anyone from replaying the older ones again.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
I find it hilarious that people say..."oh I have been a Devil May Cry fan since the first game or the game had a demo with veronica" and have the decency to say that DmC plays or is a Devil May Cry game...there is an obvious difference...even seth kilian knew about it before he left capcom...the interviews at the time he said the game was alright but you can't expect a capcom employee to talk smack about their own game...hell even one of the guys that worked on MVC 3 that was part of the DMC team didn't like how the game was going...behold the whole reason OG Dante and Vergil were in MVC 3...everyone who says that the new DmC is better im going to use the exact same words tameem used on the original fan base...they are all sheep and tameem is your sheperd
Well what does any of that actually mean, it's a game some people like it some people don't it's no big deal and is not worth throwing insults either way. At the end of the day it's not going to have any real impact on your life. If long time fans like it who the hell gives a ****? If you hate it with the burning passion of 1000 suns, who cares. If someone likes it more than any of the previous games it's a little unfair and childish to imply they are mindless sheep, just as it would be unfair and stupid the other way around. People need to learn how to detach their little emotions from video games.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Just thought abut this, excuse my ignorace, but why have they lowered the sales figures anyway? Surely a loss is a loss. They're just turning the original huge loss of expected sales into a smaller one. Will they just keep lowering expected sales figures until the game reaches that amount of sales?:/

D H

Just thought abut this, excuse my ignorace, but why have they lowered the sales figures anyway? Surely a loss is a loss. They're just turning the original huge loss of expected sales into a smaller one. Will they just keep lowering expected sales figures until the game reaches that amount of sales?:/

Capcom keeps dropping the shipment numbers because DmC keeps doing worse than they thought it would do. The less they ship, the lower the ceiling for total sales can be unless they make another shipment. They're doing this to save on the cost to create 800,000 copies when they doubt they'll ever sell them.

Top Bottom