• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Review by Angry Joe

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Well, rebooted characters are supposed to keep their key components in tact. If a character isn't recognizable to some extent, then the reboot did a bad job at recapturing old elements within a series. With this reboot, Dante is a bit easy to recognize. He has a similar personality, which made it easy to distinguish him as Dante. This Vergil however, is all over the place. He's not "calm, cool, and collected" as he was in DMC3. In general, he was fairly inferior to Dante's character development.

2 is bad. 4 isn't that bad considering that it had some good aspects of it, especially the combat system. I don't know why you keep insisting that DMC4 is "so bad". You're treating it like how some people are treating DmC, which is kinda unfair.

Yeah and if you like this game then I guess you're a really casual player. :/ *sarcasm*

But seriously if a person doesn't want to play the game, and if they are a fan of the series, they are entitled the right to NOT PLAY THE GAME. That doesn't give you the right to call them "boring" just because they didn't have fun with the game.

I personally thought a lot of things could have been explained about DMC4. At least focus on Nero's story where he's older, as well as talking about his arm. Seeing how Nero asked Dante "if he'll ever see him again" maybe they could reintroduce "Uncle Dante". That could have been a slightly interesting tale of the series since it would be explaining at least a few aspects of it. Although, it's true that DMC was still steering offtrack.

Also, if you hated the "anime bs", why did you even played the series to begin with? That kind of makes no sense at all.
I played Devil May Cry and loved it for slashing and shooting demons having fun. Is that loving Devil May Cry for all the wrong reasons? When you toss in stories and very generic anime trends that aren't particular interesting then no, I won't care about it. DmC's narrative definitely surpasses the original in that department hands down. I am also an avid anime fan but I definitely make fun of how stupid anime can get and there are trends in anime that get me to diss it. I can point at DMC 4 and go that right over there. I honestly think a portion of the people against the reboot are anime fans upset it isn't trying to be a generic anime anymore. I love anime but anime fans can be just the worst and are some of the most stubborn and annoying people out there. I've spent enough time amongst the major fanbase see that first hand.

Vergil is just as collected as I expect him to be in context to the tale being told and again seems like a more natural take on a very generic cartoon villain who was a very weak excuse for one in the first place. Seriously, Vergil was so uninteresting and one dimensional why the hell does he have such a fanbase? He can be a better character but DMC 3 sure as hell didn't give him his full potential. He just came across as a freaking boss battle that was only there for the sake of being the villain. There are LOADS of villains who are WAY better than that idiot. I'm more interested in DmC's take on Vergil because it IS more interesting. Even in the appearance department of DmC is better for Vergil. (minus the powder blue gloves) In 3 he looked like some weird pirate. People in Devil May Cry have a strange gaudy taste in fashion. What the hell was Dante wearing in 4?

MedicoreR

This Vergil however, is all over the place. He's not "calm, cool, and collected" as he was in DMC3. In general, he was fairly inferior to Dante's character development.
People changes
People changes their minds
People have different opinions
People grow up
People grow down
Stories can change

Slacri

People changes
People changes their minds
People have different opinions
People grow up
People grow down
Stories can change
But the issue is that if you're not going to be true to the characters at all, then why even do this? I remember Capcom claiming comics do the same thing, but as an avid comic reader that's just not true. Comics do reboots, but they keep the character's generally the same with a couple differences. And when comic reboots aren't true to the characters they cause a storm just as big as DmC.

If Batman was running around using a rifle casually, people would go crazy.

MedicoreR

Supermen series has a SUPERGIRL series in a paralel universe.
Like it or not..
You can do anything to an imagenary character or a franchise.
They have a right to change Dante into a stupid girl. (like lollipop chainsaw) Thats their call.

The thing that i dont understand is ''Do you guys really think Capcom would do a better DMC game than this right now?''
Im pretty sure so many DmC haters, also hated RE6

Soupie

Like it or not..
They have a right to change Dante into a stupid girl. (like lollipop chainsaw) Thats their call.

The thing that i dont understand is ''Do you guys really think Capcom would do a better DMC game than this right now?''
Chill out, or I'll have to admit myself to a psychiatrist.

Slacri

I played Devil May Cry and loved it for slashing and shooting demons having fun. Is that loving Devil May Cry for all the wrong reasons?
You sound like you're taking the story way too seriously. It was mostly just over the top, but intentionally stupid and nonsensical. Dante wasn't intended to be some deep well-developed character, he's mostly just a vehicle for the player to have fun with. Part of the issue is how much of a big factor the story is in DmC. DMC games never marketed their story before, but DmC is praising its story as "Shakespearean" and is trying to bring video games to the level of books and moves.
When you toss in stories and very generic anime trends that aren't particular interesting then no, I won't care about it.
See above.
DmC's narrative definitely surpasses the original in that department hands down.
No it does not, even though I'll be the first to admit that DMC was hardly an amazingly crafted story, this game isn't better. It's just a different approach. It's incredibly juvenile and while the old ones were juvenile in a fun way, this is just juvenile in a trying to be actually serious way. It's bad, and not funny bad. It's just bad. It's so tonally inconsistent its amazing. The game opens with Dante ridiculously flying through the trailer with Futurama censoring and is dare I say almost as over the top as DMC3's intro. The difference is DMC3 keeps this over the top tone while DmC actually tries to be serious and just loses itself. Seriously, we go from the silly trailer scene to Vergil handing out rifle abortions, then going back to joking about his dick. At least the old DMC's knew what they wanted to be.

Vergil is just as collected as I expect him to be in context to the tale being told and again seems like a more natural take on a very generic cartoon villain who was a very weak excuse for one in the first place. Seriously, Vergil was so uninteresting and one dimensional why the hell does he have such a fanbase?
Because he was a fun enemy to fight against and while not the most character full of depth, he was a nice ploy for Dante. It's not natural at all. There's no build-up to his ultimate betrayal and it's done in such an anti-climatic fashion that it's laughable.

It was really obvious too, there was just no tension or build up to it and Dante kind of seems like an idiot for not questioning Vergil's more questionable acts and being so shocked when the guy who's been a colossal dick through out the game isn't such a great guy in the end.

He's absolutely nothing like the old Vergil, and you can claim it's okay because it's a reboot, but a reboot is supposed to be a fresh new take with the old qualities still. It's not supposed to just make a new character.

Slacri

Like it or not..
Supergirl is a different character and she's not even in a parallel universe, she's in the mainline canon universe.
Well sure, it doesn't mean I can't point out what a lame move it is.

I thought it was a decent action game and admired how silly and over the top it was, but it was an awful Resident Evil game. And yes, I feel like if Itsuno's team wasn't working on Dragons Dogma they would do a far better job.

MedicoreR

I thought it was a decent action game and admired how silly and over the top it was, but it was an awful Resident Evil game. And yes, I feel like if Itsuno's team wasn't working on Dragons Dogma they would do a far better job.

This is the answer i want.
You are saying ''RE6 is a good game but a terrible RE game.'' also you are the side of ''DmC is a good game but a terrible DMC game''

Capcom did the RE6 and they couldnt satisfy you, and i believe you feel the same way with Dragons Dogma too.
How come do you think they would do better while we have a training mode game DMC4?
A no story, 10 missions, 10 backward, 2 songs, 4 hours lenght, 3 weapons (and a 1 drum weapon just to satisfy your guitar weapon longing from DMC3) game?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
You sound like you're taking the story way too seriously. It was mostly just over the top, but intentionally stupid and nonsensical. Dante wasn't intended to be some deep well-developed character, he's mostly just a vehicle for the player to have fun with. Part of the issue is how much of a big factor the story is in DmC. DMC games never marketed their story before, but DmC is praising its story as "Shakespearean" and is trying to bring video games to the level of books and moves. See above. No it does not, even though I'll be the first to admit that DMC was hardly an amazingly crafted story, this game isn't better. It's just a different approach. It's incredibly juvenile and while the old ones were juvenile in a fun way, this is just juvenile in a trying to be actually serious way. It's bad, and not funny bad. It's just bad. It's so tonally inconsistent its amazing. The game opens with Dante ridiculously flying through the trailer with Futurama censoring and is dare I say almost as over the top as DMC3's intro. The difference is DMC3 keeps this over the top tone while DmC actually tries to be serious and just loses itself. Seriously, we go from the silly trailer scene to Vergil handing out rifle abortions, then going back to joking about his ****. At least the old DMC's knew what they wanted to be.

Because he was a fun enemy to fight against and while not the most character full of depth, he was a nice ploy for Dante. It's not natural at all. There's no build-up to his ultimate betrayal and it's done in such an anti-climatic fashion that it's laughable.

It was really obvious too, there was just no tension or build up to it and Dante kind of seems like an idiot for not questioning Vergil's more questionable acts and being so shocked when the guy who's been a colossal **** through out the game isn't such a great guy in the end.

He's absolutely nothing like the old Vergil, and you can claim it's okay because it's a reboot, but a reboot is supposed to be a fresh new take with the old qualities still. It's not supposed to just make a new character.
Quit pulling that stupid "it was intentional" BS for the original series. It wasn't intentional. Capcom just doesn't know how to tell a good story. Resident Evil has always been a prime example of their story telling abilities. I think you're throwing this intentional crap just so you don't have to admit how freaking dumb Devil May Cry really is and how it's always been. Capcom has what I call the big ol book of cheese with a worn out spine because they honestly can't seem to think up any story that is in the slightest for the most part intelligent or at least not so typical and generic. I can rip those games to shreds if you like even though I do still love it. The games had a very unorganized canon that Capcom still didn't know what to do with. Want good story telling examples, look at Rockstar.

DmC does seem more aware of how absurd it can get but it's narrative is definitely stronger that the rest which never seem to put any effort into that department at all for the most part. Sure the plot isn't the most original in the world but who honestly freaking cares about wherever Capcom was headed with the story after the terrible DMC 4. DmC holds more potential for the future of Devil May Cry in our everchanging gaming industry and there's no point in looking back now. It holds more potential than any aging series for it's fifth entry has any right to. It wouldn't need to reboot if everything was going just fine for Devil May Cry. Ask yourself this, do you REALLY think CAPCOM would make a better DMC at this point? I lost pretty much all faith in them because of what they did to my precious MegaMan and also Resident Evil which I also am quite a fan of I don't even trust them.

Slacri

You are saying ''RE6 is a good game but a terrible RE game.''
Because it is. RE is supposed to be a survival horror game, and while it suits its needs as an action game it completely forgot about horror.
also you are the side of ''DmC is a good game but a terrible DMC game''
I feel like it's mediocre and deserves a 5-7/10, and is okay for what it is. But just okay, and in a series of great games before it, it's really a huge disappointment.
Capcom did the RE6 and they couldnt satisfy you
You do realize that Capcom has more than one development team, right?
and i believe you feel the same way with Dragons Dogma too.
I really liked Dragon's Dogma, but it had its issues. I'm really anticipating a sequel, if they can iron out some of the flaws it could really be a flawless game.
How come do you think they would do better while we have a training mode game DMC4?
Not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean Bloody Palace? What's wrong with it? It's great.
No story, 10 missions, 10 backward, 2 songs, 4 hours lenght, 3 weapons (and a 1 drum weapon just to satisfy your guitar weapon longing from DMC3) game.
Well the game has a lot more than 2 songs, but regardless while I feel the campaign and level design was lacking and I'm not going to defend backtracking and dice games. I feel that the combat was spot on and the best in the DMC series, when I play DMC4, I mostly play Bloody Palace which is great because it's just the fantastic combat I love.

MedicoreR

Because it is. RE is supposed to be a survival horror game

No it doesnt.
Persona game was an RPG i guess, but now its an fighting game
Team Fortress was an classic realistic FPS multiplayer mode but TF2 turned into a cartoonic comedy multiplayer game
SF supposed to be an classic 2d fighting game but they changed it so many times, they changed characters so many times, they changed the game/combat system many many times they changed it into 3d..

Slacri

Quit pulling that stupid "it was intentional" BS for the original series. It wasn't intentional. Capcom just doesn't know how to tell a good story.
You really think a game where the protagonist rides up a 90 degree angle tower on a motorcycle, and beats a bunch of demons to death with it mid-air while some cheesy industrial rock is in the background is taking itself seriously? And you call us boring?
Resident Evil has always been a prime example of their story telling abilities. I think you're throwing this intentional crap just so you don't have to admit how freaking dumb Devil May Cry really is and how it's always been.
I don't see how Resident Evil is even relevant. Have you even read my posts? I admitted the DMC's story were dumb fun.
Capcom has what I call the big ol book of cheese with a worn out spine because they honestly can't seem to think up any story that is in the slightest for the most part intelligent or at least not so typical and generic. I can rip those games to shreds if you like even though I do still love it. The games had a very unorganized canon that Capcom still didn't know what to do with. Want good story telling examples, look at Rockstar with Grand Theft Auto or Red Dead Redemption and more recently TellTale with The Walking Dead.
Again you're missing the point. You could argue than DMC1 and 2 took itself too seriously, but DMC3 and 4 ( other than some questionable Nero scenes) all bets were off. DMC has never been a series that prized itself on its story so I have no clue why you're comparing it to games that do.

DmC does seem more aware of how absurd it can get but it's narrative is definitely stronger that the rest which never seem to put any effort into that department at all for the most part.
It does at first, but the plot quickly becomes far more sincere and serious. It doesn't keep it's fun goofy tone up. It's not stronger at all, sure it tries harder but it fails even more because of that.
Sure the plot isn't the most original in the world but who honestly freaking cares about wherever Capcom was headed with the story after the terrible DMC 4. DmC holds more potential for the future of Devil May Cry in our everchanging gaming industry and there's no point in looking back now. It holds more potential than any aging series for it's fifth entry has any right to. It wouldn't need to reboot if everything was going just fine for Devil May Cry. Ask yourself this, do you REALLY think CAPCOM would make a better DMC at this point? I lost pretty much all faith in them because of what they did to my precious MegaMan and also Resident Evil which I also am quite a fan of I don't even trust them.
DmC holds no potential, it's such an awful story I am completely baffled at how anybody could call it good, and how does it hold any potential? It added nothing substantial to the gameplay and completely watered it down. Devil May Cry was doing fine, 4's dev team was rushed by Capcom but it sold the best out of the entire series. I honestly kind of feel that DmC was made due to Inafune.

And yes, if Itsuno's developer team worked on it, it could be amazing. I can't blame them for not as Dragon's Dogma seems to be their baby. I just wish Capcom had picked a company that wasn't awful to do the next game.

Slacri

No it doesnt.
Um, the game series started out as that and is one of the pivotal survival horrors of its days.
Persona game was an RPG i guess, but now its an fighting game
It's a spin-off you know, it's not as if they released Persona 5 as a fighting game.
Team Fortress was an classic realistic FPS multiplayer mode but TF2 turned into a cartoonic comedy multiplayer game
It was a Counter Strike mod that wasn't nearly as influential or well-known as Resident Evil.
SF supposed to be an classic 2d fighting game but they changed it so many times, they changed characters so many times, they changed the game/combat system many many times they changed it into 3d..
It's still a fighting game you know.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
But the issue is that if you're not going to be true to the characters at all, then why even do this? I remember Capcom claiming comics do the same thing, but as an avid comic reader that's just not true. Comics do reboots, but they keep the character's generally the same with a couple differences. And when comic reboots aren't true to the characters they cause a storm just as big as DmC.

If Batman was running around using a rifle casually, people would go crazy.
Batman has used gun before but made a stand against them. Year Two was actually a bit of an explanation of Bruce Wayne's stand against the use of firearms. Occasionally he did pull one out when Bob Kane created the character but it isn't so evident nowadays because of what Batman is usually known for. Batman has also killed quite a few people. Of course the Batman who refuses the use of any lethal force is the Batman that everyone knows but it's kind of like the obscure truth most people with only general knowledge of comics don't know about. Kind of like how alot of people don't know the original Ninja Turtles were some very brutal warriors that killed people before they turned into the kid friendly pizza loving turtles we know and love today.

Slacri

Batman has used gun before but made a stand against them.
In very early incarnations of Batman when he was mostly just a Spirit rip off he used a gun. He hasn't used a gun since the 70's, except for a few exceptions that are dire.
Year Two was actually a bit of an explanation of Bruce Wayne's stand against the use of firearms. Occasionally he did pull one out when Bob Kane created the character but it isn't so evident nowadays because of what Batman is usually known for. Batman has also killed quite a few people.
See above.
Of course the Batman who refuses the use of any lethal force is the Batman that everyone knows but it's kind of like the obscure truth most people with only general knowledge of comics don't know about. Kind of like how alot of people don't know the original Ninja Turtles were some very brutal warriors that killed people before they turned into the kid friendly pizza loving turtles we know and love today.
Again see above, the incarnation of Batman that everybody knows and loves doesn't use guns or kill other than exceptional cases. If in the New 52 Batman was running around with an assault rifle and gunning down criminals everybody would freak out.

Top Bottom