• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Review by Angry Joe

EvilX-81

If Batman was running around using a rifle casually, people would go crazy.

I occasionally read Elseworlds comics. The purpose of them is to explore a character in a way that would probably never be depicted in the main continuity. If Batman ran around gunning people down in the main continuity, yea there would be a ****storm, but in an alternate universe comic, I don't think so. I see DmC as basically this.

EvilX-81

Even CAPCOM admits that DMC stories always sucked.
But Slacri is the guy they need to listen..

I honestly think by DmC3 or 4, someone told the writers to be as indirect with answers as possible if not flat-out explain nothing, in hope of snagging more people to the franchise on mystery of the storyline alone.

Slacri

I occasionally read Elseworlds comics. The purpose of them is to explore a character in a way that would probably never be depicted in the main continuity. If Batman ran around gunning people down in the main continuity, yea there would be a ****storm, but in an alternate universe comic, I don't think so. I see DmC as basically this.
That's an elseworlds comic, not a reboot of the franchise. A game has to be pretty popular to have a bunch of elseworlds and alternate universes like comics too at one time. The only game off the top of my head currently that does this is Modern Warfare.

I sincerely doubt Capcom will make the DMC numbered series and DmC. Essentially what they did here was turn Batman into Jason Todd and make that the only continuing Batman series.

MedicoreR

Those must be some really long songs to take up 3 discs and somehow be split into 96 different tracks.
http://www.amazon.com/Devil-May-Cry-Original-Soundtrack/dp/B001EWINLQ

I just lol, no need to have a conversation with you anymore.
I said write 2 different songs while Nero fight aganist casual enemies, and you are showing me this.
Why dont you just say ''Hey, it has 2 different foot step sounds, so i win''

I have the OST, and that 96 tracks are all about ''logo sound, mall sound, mission two sound etc..''
Im done with you, doesnt worth

Slacri

I said write 2 different songs while Nero fight aganist casual enemies, and you are showing me this.
They aren't sound effects, they're clearly different songs.

I have the OST, and that 96 tracks are all about ''logo sound, mall sound, mission two sound etc..''
You do realize that tons of them are different boss battle themes, level themes and cinematic themes? Seriously, look at these titles.

14. Stage X (Forest of Delusion) - Assuming this is the music for the part in the forest where there's 3 different paths that you have to choose.
15. Loyal Credo/Swipe of Sword (Credo's Combat)
16. Loyal Credo/Swipe of Sword (Credo's Combat) [Continued] - Credo's boss fight
17. Credo Knocked Down?Kyrie Suffers - The cinematic after Credo's boss fight
18. Alto Angelo's Arrival and Combat - No clue, some cinematic.
19. Stage XI (Cult Headquarters) - No clue, some cinematic.
20. Agnus Once Again/Science Will Never Die (Angelo Agnus Combat) [Continue - Agnus fight
21. Just out of Reach - Cinematic after Agnus

EvilX-81

That's an elseworlds comic, not a reboot of the franchise. A game has to be pretty popular to have a bunch of elseworlds and alternate universes like comics too at one time. The only game off the top of my head currently that does this is Modern Warfare.

"Reboot" barely in name, from what I understand it's more an alternate universe.

I sincerely doubt Capcom will make the DMC numbered series and DmC.

Why not? Especially with this backlash. People obviously still want the old Dante.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
You really think a game where the protagonist rides up a 90 degree angle tower on a motorcycle, and beats a bunch of demons to death with it mid-air while some cheesy industrial rock is in the background is taking itself seriously? And you call us boring? I don't see how Resident Evil is even relevant. Have you even read my posts? I admitted the DMC's story were dumb fun. Again you're missing the point. You could argue than DMC1 and 2 took itself too seriously, but DMC3 and 4 ( other than some questionable Nero scenes) all bets were off. DMC has never been a series that prized itself on its story so I have no clue why you're comparing it to games that do.

It does at first, but the plot quickly becomes far more sincere and serious. It doesn't keep it's fun goofy tone up. It's not stronger at all, sure it tries harder but it fails even more because of that.
DmC holds no potential, it's such an awful story I am completely baffled at how anybody could call it good, and how does it hold any potential? It added nothing substantial to the gameplay and completely watered it down. Devil May Cry was doing fine, 4's dev team was rushed by Capcom but it sold the best out of the entire series. I honestly kind of feel that DmC was made due to Inafune.

And yes, if Itsuno's developer team worked on it, it could be amazing. I can't blame them for not as Dragon's Dogma seems to be their baby. I just wish Capcom had picked a company that wasn't awful to do the next game.
I don't take Devil May Cry seriously. Thing is what you say is supposedly entertainingly stupid to me is just stupid and I can make fun of it myself. Do you honestly think I take Devil May Cry seriously when I have always made fun of how stupid the game is. You act as if Devil May Cry is meant to be a parody to begin with which is not the case. Robin Hood Men In Tights and Spaceballs are parodies. Devil May Cry in storytelling is literally just the product of a bunch of generic B movie ideas and thinks it has more style than it actually does even if it does want to be silly. There's no legitimate effort put into the story. I've finished DmC to see that the narrative is stronger than the rest that hardly even focused on it and since video games are a medium that are considered more of interactive storytelling, why is wanting to improve on where the originals always fell flat is such a bad thing? Devil May Cry is lucky it has stellar gameplay because everything else about the game isn't particularly interesting or memorable to begin with.

Dante is a dork with a mom fetish. DmC leaves me with the potential to bring the rather unorganized canon of Devil May Cry full circle also with a more Dante centric storyline that definitely is alot more interesting than the previous crap. The plot isn't the most original out there but is it honestly any worse than the stupid crap from the original canon, answer no. I can level what you say about the reboot to the original series which you seem to think deserves some kind of special pass. All I can say is that the way the story is told is definitely stronger than the original hands down, it isn't the best but it also sure as hell isn't the worst especially if you're talking about Devil May Cry which isn't as sacred as you think it is to begin with.

Slacri

"Reboot" barely in name, from what I understand it's more an alternate universe.
I see it being called a reboot everywhere, but even so this is the main DMC title we'll be getting.

Why not? Especially with this backlash. People obviously still want the old Dante.
Because this series is a niche genre and doesn't rake in enough cash to do two different series at once.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger

I sincerely doubt Capcom will make the DMC numbered series and DmC. Essentially what they did here was turn Batman into Jason Todd and make that the only continuing Batman series.
Funny how Jason Todd has the white patch of hair thing too.

And I don't know if Zelda qualifies for having multiple universes or if that is just a timeline thing during Ocarina of Time where the events (Link) rips the timeline in three.

For the COD series. It just seems like the name itself is all that is related. If anything the MW branch and BO branch are like Final Fantasy. Different games with the same name.

MedicoreR

@Slacri

Read this carefully
Those tracks you wrote (which i have it on my computer right now) are not songs, they are fillings.
You know difference between songs and filling orchestras, right?

Now, i told you WRITE 2 SONGS while NERO fight aganist CASUAL ENEMIES (not bosses, not cutscenes, while in combat)
If you can write 1 other song except THE TIME HAS COME, im done.
If you cant, you are done.

Am i clear enough?

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Dante is a dork with a mom fetish.
Oh god... no.. NO!!! WHY MUST YOU SAY THIS!!! AHHHH!!! DantexLady canon, DantexLady canon, please for the love of all that is sane! So creepy on so many levels... *shudders*

I mean Lady is implied to have a crush on Dante in the anime. But Trish and Dante, momma's clone and son... NO! NO! NO!

EvilX-81

I see it being called a reboot everywhere, but even so this is the main DMC title we'll be getting.

Ninja Theory basically said this stuff takes place in a "parallel world" to the DMC universe (and probably where the trollers got the "traveling through universes with a machine powered by children's tears" thing.) Basically this is the way NT can have their version of Dante without nixing the classic universe, which nobody wanted.

Because this series is a niche genre and doesn't rake in enough cash to do two different series at once.

I don't see DMC's coming out that consistently, so I could see an alternating between DMC's from time to time.

ChaserTech

I played Devil May Cry and loved it for slashing and shooting demons having fun. Is that loving Devil May Cry for all the wrong reasons?

No, although I still think it's silly that you hate the "anime" look of DMC yet you continue follow the series willingly. It's like GoW fans buying the entire GoW series only for the story and characters yet they utterly hate the gameplay.

Vergil is just as collected as I expect him to be in context to the tale being told and again seems like a more natural take on a very generic cartoon villain who was a very weak excuse for one in the first place. Seriously, Vergil was so uninteresting and one dimensional why the hell does he have such a fanbase? He can be a better character but DMC 3 sure as hell didn't give him his full potential. He just came across as a freaking boss battle that was only there for the sake of being the villain. There are LOADS of villains who are WAY better than that idiot. I'm more interested in DmC's take on Vergil because it IS more interesting. Even in the appearance department of DmC is better for Vergil. (minus the powder blue gloves) In 3 he looked like some weird pirate. People in Devil May Cry have a strange gaudy taste in fashion. What the hell was Dante wearing in 4?

You're basically just stating your opinion about how you feel about Vergil in DMC3 and DmC. I don't see how he's as calm/cool/collected as he was in DMC3. Especially after seeing him giving a slight grin (unless that's just some weird facial animation) when he shot Lilith. He also displayed a sense of honor as well in DMC3. (Which is barely present in DmC)

Slacri

I don't take Devil May Cry seriously. Thing is what you say is supposedly entertainingly stupid to me is just stupid and I can make fun of it myself.
You said you don't take it seriously and then proceeded to say that you found something intentionally over the top and silly too silly. If it's not to your tastes that's fine. Don't pretend it doesn't accomplish what it's trying to do though.
Do you honestly think I take Devil May Cry seriously when I have always made fun of how stupid the game is. You act as if Devil May Cry is meant to be a parody to begin with which is not the case. Robin Hood Men In Tights and Spaceballs are parodies.
Yes, I do because you're essentially watching a comedy show and complaining that the jokes aren't logically accurate. It's like someone telling you a knock knock joke and you're complaining that the punchline being some silly name is too stupid for you and not logically sound.
Devil May Cry in storytelling is literally just the product of a bunch of generic B movie ideas and thinks it has more style than it actually does even if it does want to be silly. There's no legitimate effort put into the story.
That's the joke. Seriously, there's no real attempt at effort because it's not its goal. It's just a vehicle for some fun action. The combat is the core and I don't even know why you're putting such a focus on an obviously intentionally silly game. Do you complain that Mario is too cartoony for you?
I've finished DmC to see that the narrative is stronger than the rest that hardly even focused on it and since video games are a medium that are considered more of interactive storytelling, why is wanting to improve on where the originals always fell flat is such a bad thing?
Interactive storytelling? That's laughable, considering this games main way of giving its story are cutscenes where you can't interact with them with long expository dialog. It's so obnoxious that there are cutscenes spliced into the middle of boss fights for no reason. Did I really need to see Vergil getting knocked back? What the hell did it add? There's nothing wrong with wanting a better story, but this isn't it. It tries but it falls flat on its face.
Devil May Cry is lucky it has stellar gameplay because everything else about the game isn't particularly interesting or memorable to begin with.
Gee, it's a good thing it's a combat game then.

Dante is a dork with a mom fetish.
Uh, what? Yeah he's a dork but mom fetish?
DmC leaves me with the potential to bring the rather unorganized canon of Devil May Cry full circle also with a more Dante centric storyline that definitely is alot more interesting than the previous crap.
I've read bad fanfiction more interesting than this poorly told, hamfisted, stereotypical "narrative".
The plot isn't the most original out there but is it honestly any worse than the stupid crap from the original canon, answer no.
I'm honestly shocked you've read my comments and haven't seen that the issue here is that the original canon didn't take itself too seriously, while this game does and it's heavily marketed on its awful story. DMC never marketed itself as a good story and it never tried to be something it wasn't like this game does.
I can level what you say about the reboot to the original series which you seem to think deserves some kind of special pass. All I can say is that the way the story is told is definitely stronger than the original hands down, it isn't the best but it also sure as hell isn't the worst especially if you're talking about Devil May Cry which isn't as sacred as you think it is to begin with.
You've ignored all of my points about how awful this game's narrative is and while I acknowledge the original DMC series didn't have a strong plot it worked because that's not what it was aiming for. Seriously, I've had to repeat the same point to you five times and I'm honestly shocked that anyone can't get that a game with a gun eating pizza, flying with a motorcycle and beating demons to death with it isn't taking itself seriously.

I can't image watching a comedy with you.

Slacri

Ninja Theory basically said this stuff takes place in a "parallel world" to the DMC universe (and probably where the trollers got the "traveling through universes with a machine powered by children's tears" thing.) Basically this is the way NT can have their version of Dante without nixing the classic universe, which nobody wanted.

I don't see DMC's coming out that consistently, so I could see an alternating between DMC's from time to time.
I know it's in a different world, the issue is that this is pretty much the only world we'll be getting now. I really doubt that will happen and having a good series take a backseat to an awful spin-off is not okay.

You want to know how to do a spin-off right? Look at Metal Gear Rising. While I can't vouch for the game's quality I can say that it does the spin-off thing right. It's simply a spin-off with a future and true MGS game already in the works. This image puts it nicely.

NEETkzF.jpg

It's easy for Metal Gear fans to ignore because it doesn't disrupt the franchise.

EvilX-81

No, although I still think it's silly that you hate the "anime" look of DMC yet you continue follow the series willingly. It's like GoW fans buying the entire GoW series only for the story and characters yet they utterly hate the gameplay.

Well I'm planning to get a WiiU for Bayonetta 2, but after the first game's crappy narrative and annoying characters, I couldn't give f**k #1 about it's storyline.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
In very early incarnations of Batman when he was mostly just a Spirit rip off he used a gun. He hasn't used a gun since the 70's, except for a few exceptions that are dire. See above.
Again see above, the incarnation of Batman that everybody knows and loves doesn't use guns or kill other than exceptional cases. If in the New 52 Batman was running around with an assault rifle and gunning down criminals everybody would freak out.
I am a massive comic book fan. You don't need to lecture me about Batman dude. I'm still a little on the fence about some franchises with the new 52. Batman and Robin is pretty sweet being the most like a continuation but for Green Lantern I'm iffy because for one his new costume looks strange. It reminds me more of Kick-Ass and less of Green Lantern. I probably will pick up some issues. I haven't read to much of the new 52 but Green Arrow is one I need to pick up soon. I only got into Batman and Robin and Suicide Squad. The closest I get to Batman going nuts with guns is Mark Millar's Nemesis. I think it would be pretty sweet if we got a Nemesis type story with Batman that definitely focuses ALL the emphasis on being this crazy vigilante or super villain. Damien Wayne getting an entire series dedicated to this more brutal Batman would be freaking awesome. Not like that campy Universe of Evil though. lol that was funny.

Slacri

Of course there's a main battle theme, almost every game has this.

You sure do have some interesting footstep sounds. Why can't you just admit you used a poor hyperbole and move on?

EvilX-81

I know it's in a different world, the issue is that this is pretty much the only world we'll be getting now. I really doubt that will happen and having a good series take a backseat to an awful spin-off is not okay.

Your opinion it's an awful series.

You want to know how to do a spin-off right? Look at Metal Gear Rising.
NEETkzF.jpg

It's easy for Metal Gear fans to ignore because it doesn't disrupt the franchise.

Since it's not overwriting the old universe, this doesn't either. Classic DmC fans just went overly batshit in comparison to the MGS fans, but it's no less easier to ignore.

Top Bottom