• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC Lives! Capcom plans on releasing a new DMC before the end of 2017's fiscal year.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
yeah to say honestly i don't know where this capcom blaming ninja theory is coming from.. that's not something a company would do, so i don't think that ever happened, people are just reading it wrong..

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Honestly I've never read anywhere that Capcom blames Ninja Theory for anything. Only that they were gonna give up on outsourcing their games, which includes NT as well. I think that's where the whole "Capcom blames NT" thing comes from but that's not blaming. If anything, it's recognizing their business mistake.

People just hate on NT and DmC so they make stuff up.

Frazz

General gamer
Honestly I've never read anywhere that Capcom blames Ninja Theory for anything. Only that they were gonna give up on outsourcing their games, which includes NT as well. I think that's where the whole "Capcom blames NT" thing comes from but that's not blaming. If anything, it's recognizing their business mistake.

People just hate on NT and DmC so they make stuff up.
Yeah, I don't think that Capcom would vilify them, they'd rather just distance themselves as the realised that the game didn't do what they had intended it to do and thus there's no point in outsourcing it if that just produces backlash. I don't think Capcom blames anyone for the failure of DmC; they probably don't know who to blame, but I think they know that DmC isn't what most fans wanted and therefore they had to move away from outsourcing as it's just lead to more trouble.

Sparda's Rebellion

Style matters in combat.
Here's just a few of the things Capcom said in their latest report, there's more if you read the report.

Specifically, the cost to sales ratio (59.7%) in the year under review improved by 11 percentage points compared to the previous fiscal year(70.7%), which effectively reduced the cost of sales to 7 billion yen. The main contributing factor was cost of sales improvements in the Consumer sub-segment, which included (1) improvements to title outsourcing consisting of the discontinuation of unprofitable title outsourcing in the previous fiscal year, which stopped losses with a 2 billion yen rebound.

Factors Influencing Performance Results and Missed Targets:
rather than rising development costs associated with each title, the decline in operating income was due to major titles whose sales fell short of their targets or were postponed, resulting in sales of 14 million units (down 10.8% from the previous fiscal years), adversely affecting consumer (package and DLC) profitability.
Resident Evil 6 4.9 million
DmC Devil May Cry 1.2 million
Monster Hunter 4 2 million
etc.

As stated in the CEO Message (see Q2 on page18), the consumer
market is currently going through major changes due to DLC market expansion and market oligopolization by certain titles. Capcom was late responding to the rise of DLC and we had quality issues with titles outsourced overseas, all of which has impacted earnings. Furthermore, popular “DmC Devil May Cry”, created by overseas development company Ninja Theory in an attempt to fuse overseas tastes with Capcom’s taste, fell short of its targeted 2 million units to sell only 1.2 million units resulting in losses in the Consumer sub-segment.

Based on internal and external analyses, the reasons these targets
were missed included the late DLC response within the Consumer
business, the framework of our growth strategy, and the low
quality of titles developed overseas.
Regarding titles developed overseas, remarkable technological
innovations in the market further exacerbated differences in the
level of quality among overseas development companies. Sales were lower than expected because of development company quality issues and frequent deviation from schedules.

Alright guys, sorry if it looks a little fractured, there was a lot of copying and pasting going on above but I put in some of the things in the report that I could find real quick. There's more in the reports that Capcom has at their Capcom Investor Relations website. They have all the fiscal years so you can go back and forth through the reports on all of the years you want, even previous to recent years if you want to see what led up to what. And just for the record, I like DmC, I'm not one of those people that just hates on it because it's not the original series, if DmC2 was being made right now, I'd be hyping it up and saying how it will be awesome. So please don't just assume I'm making stuff up because I don't like DmC, I do. Go read the reports, there's a lot of info in there that is eye opening. By the way, looking at my previous post, maybe the word "blaming" was the wrong word to choose but they did throw them under the bus I think.

Last edited:

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
Here's just a few of the things Capcom said in their latest report, there's more if you read the report.

Specifically, the cost to sales ratio (59.7%) in the year under review improved by 11 percentage points compared to the previous fiscal year(70.7%), which effectively reduced the cost of sales to 7 billion yen. The main contributing factor was cost of sales improvements in the Consumer sub-segment, which included (1) improvements to title outsourcing consisting of the discontinuation of unprofitable title outsourcing in the previous fiscal year, which stopped losses with a 2 billion yen rebound.

Factors Influencing Performance Results and Missed Targets:
rather than rising development costs associated with each title, the decline in operating income was due to major titles whose sales fell short of their targets or were postponed, resulting in sales of 14 million units (down 10.8% from the previous fiscal years), adversely affecting consumer (package and DLC) profitability.
Resident Evil 6 4.9 million
DmC Devil May Cry 1.2 million
Monster Hunter 4 2 million
etc.

As stated in the CEO Message (see Q2 on page18), the consumer
market is currently going through major changes due to DLC market expansion and market oligopolization by certain titles. Capcom was late responding to the rise of DLC and we had quality issues with titles outsourced overseas, all of which has impacted earnings. Furthermore, popular “DmC Devil May Cry”, created by overseas development company Ninja Theory in an attempt to fuse overseas tastes with Capcom’s taste, fell short of its targeted 2 million units to sell only 1.2 million units resulting in losses in the Consumer sub-segment.

Based on internal and external analyses, the reasons these targets
were missed included the late DLC response within the Consumer
business, the framework of our growth strategy, and the low
quality of titles developed overseas.
Regarding titles developed overseas, remarkable technological
innovations in the market further exacerbated differences in the
level of quality among overseas development companies. Sales were lower than expected because of development company quality issues and frequent deviation from schedules.

Alright guys, sorry if it looks a little fractured, there was a lot of copying and pasting going on above but I put in some of the things in the report that I could find real quick. There's more in the reports that Capcom has at their Capcom Investor Relations website that I remember reading. They have all the fiscal years so you can go back and forth through the reports on all of the years you want, even previous to recent years if you want to see what led up to what. And just for the record, I like DmC, I'm not one of those people that just hates on it because it's not the original series, if DmC2 was being made right now, I'd be hyping it up and saying how it will be awesome. So please don't just assume I'm making stuff up because I don't like DmC, I do. Go read the reports, there's a lot of info in there that is eye opening. By the way, looking at my previous post, maybe the word "blaming" was the wrong word to choose but they did throw them under the bus I think.

personally i never think of you of hating DmC for saying capcom blame NT, and even if you do, i don't think we should have a problem with that..

but yeah, using the word "blame" was kinda wrong, and that would make capcom themselves bad if they did blame..

@Foxtrot94 put it right, capcom is recognizing their business mistake

Sparda's Rebellion

Style matters in combat.
personally i never think of you of hating DmC for saying capcom blame NT, and even if you do, i don't think we should have a problem with that..

but yeah, using the word "blame" was kinda wrong, and that would make capcom themselves bad if they did blame..

@Foxtrot94 put it right, capcom is recognizing their business mistake
I agree I shouldn't have used "blaming" but they did kind of throw Ninja Theory under the bus. Anyway the point is that after saying that in their reports, I highly doubt they would ever go back to NT, especially not for DmC2 after saying that DmC is one of the reasons they had losses in the consumer sub segment.

Last edited:

Sesha

Ya but then again, why would they throw away all that development already put into the reboot, I mean they can go ahead and throw in some older but polished up mechanics but getting rid of and scraping everything the reboot had seems unlikely. That being said if it is DMC5, don't mind but I wouldn't want to rule out DmC2 just because NT isn't behind it, I believe there is still potential in it and that someone could pick it up for capcom. Plus look at the gaming industry as is, Fable legends went to releasing to now canceled and studio shutting down, I'm willing to say just about anything can happen. Let's just hope they don't just shut the DMC doors forever :'(

By that same reasoning, why would they throw away all the work put into DMC4 with DmC?
It's called cutting your losses. The partnership with NT on DmC was not a very profitable venture for them according to their 2014 financials.

NT could be working on it. Rahni Tucker is working on an unannounced game, that very well could be their next big project after Hellblade, and she was the creative director for DmC DE. But NT seems to want to find their way outside of traditional games publishing. They've made three AAA titles for three publishers and they own nothing of it. Not even the engine they made for Heavenly Sword.
They don't strike me as a strictly work for hire dev like Platinum. They seem to want to make a name for their self as an independent dev and to fully own their work.

Capcom had a 2.5 year release plan for DmC sequels. The fact they've abandoned this plan and have scaled back their outsourcing pipeline significantly suggests they are done with major overseas outsourcing, and by extension that they're done with DmC.

Where did they blame Ninja Theory? It was Capcom who told them to do DmC and do it different. Capcom said they weren't going to outsource their game properties, that doesn't mean no collaborations. They even said that some workers at NT go to Japan to visit Capcom's company to teach them how to do game combat.

That's not what happened. Itsuno and a couple of DMC team members, including Ryota Suzuki (Oni-S) traveled to Cambridge bimonthly to offer feedback and review the project.

Thing is, they've scaled back their outsourcing pipeline. Outsourcing isn't as simple as just hiring another developer and having a couple of people in charge.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
That's not what happened. Itsuno and a couple of DMC team members, including Ryota Suzuki (Oni-S) traveled to Cambridge bimonthly to offer feedback and review the project.

Thing is, they've scaled back their outsourcing pipeline. Outsourcing isn't as simple as just hiring another developer and having a couple of people in charge.

That's not what I'm referring to. I'm saying that if Capcom IS blaming NT, it would make no sense because it wasn't NT who came to Capcom, it was Capcom who came to them.

Sesha

That's not what I'm referring to. I'm saying that if Capcom IS blaming NT, it would make no sense because it wasn't NT who came to Capcom, it was Capcom who came to them.

You said people from NT went to Japan to learn combat design. That isn't true.

And I pointed out that outsourcing is more complicated than you made it sound.

I wasn't addressing the first part of your post.

Sparda's Rebellion

Style matters in combat.
Good point, again I shouldn't have used the word blame but they did point to DmC as being one reason why the had financial losses in the consumer sub segment, whatever word you want to use to describe that.

aka_700

Please continue DMC4; definitely not the DMC.
I like the idea of limbo and also the new weapons and moves but I didn't like new Dante and Vergil in terms of their personality, especially Dante. I also didn't like it because they made such huge mistakes like Eva being a red head and being an angel!!! Come on....who do you think Trish looks like? and why do you think Lady's father wounded Lady, who is human, to open the hell gate? (Let me clarify for the ones who didn't play the previous games: Sparda sealed the gate between human and demon worlds using the two amulets of Vergil and Dante, and also human blood; Eva's most probably.) And these are not changes; these are pure mistakes.

DMC4 (the original series) wins over the DMC every time.
DMC is a nice game but I don't take it as our Devil May Cry.

Frazz

General gamer
So here we go again - another glimmer of hope that's likely to be snuffed out: Itsuno and Reubn Langdon's Twitter. Basically Itsuno says that he's reading all the Twitter responses to his tweet about his new project. Most of those responses relate to DMC, of course. Reuben responded to a fan who asked if the DMC5 rumours should be ignored by saying 'never give up your dream'.

Now we can either take these at face value and say that Itsuno is reading tweets and his next project could be a DMC. We could also read Reuben's as 'it's not happening but don't despair because it may happen some day'. Or perhaps we really are a step closer to a game we've waited almost a decade for. At this point I don't know what to think any more... every time I get hopeful it turns out to be false hope.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I just hope whatever they end up doing for the next game catches my eye again.

I wasn't too keen on the direction that 4 and the anime was going in and welcomed a break from it. To me DmC had potential to be a fresh start but didn't really stick the landing (like DMC4 ). It has lot of the mistakes of the past so let's hope Capcom gets it right next time.

I wouldn't mind a DMC x Darkstalkers game tho.

Last edited:

Sparda's Rebellion

Style matters in combat.
So here we go again - another glimmer of hope that's likely to be snuffed out: Itsuno and Reubn Langdon's Twitter. Basically Itsuno says that he's reading all the Twitter responses to his tweet about his new project. Most of those responses relate to DMC, of course. Reuben responded to a fan who asked if the DMC5 rumours should be ignored by saying 'never give up your dream'.

Now we can either take these at face value and say that Itsuno is reading tweets and his next project could be a DMC. We could also read Reuben's as 'it's not happening but don't despair because it may happen some day'. Or perhaps we really are a step closer to a game we've waited almost a decade for. At this point I don't know what to think any more... every time I get hopeful it turns out to be false hope.
We'll find out in a month and a week at E3, I know that feels like a million years away, at least it does for me but what other choice do we have right now besides going through all the evidence again for the billionth time which I'm done doing. Do you have a link or something to the Langdon tweet? I've seen the other one.

Last edited:

Sparda's Rebellion

Style matters in combat.
Last edited:

Frazz

General gamer
Intriguing update: Reuben Langdon's tweet has been deleted. I only have a picture of it on my mobile and have no idea how to get it on this site but believe me he did tweet for a fan to believe in it.

EDIT: Does anyone know how to put an image on these forums without a link/url? I can't find a way.

Last edited:

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Intriguing update: Reuben Langdon's tweet has been deleted. I only have a picture of it on my mobile and have no idea how to get it on this site but believe me he did tweet for a fan to believe in it.

EDIT: Does anyone know how to put an image on these forums without a link/url? I can't find a way.
So, they are doing it again!I will be sincere with you: I'm getting fed up with this all!

Top Bottom