• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC Lives! Capcom plans on releasing a new DMC before the end of 2017's fiscal year.

Sparda's Rebellion

Style matters in combat.
it was about 2 years ago. And I think he said in interview, he's on some new project. I think it was on some big event. E3 or Gamescom
Oh so it wasn't a tweet which he barely does unless it's huge or really important, it was in some random interview. Yeah that doesn't surprise me but if he tweeted out that he's working on a project and that we should look forward to it, there's no way it's some mobile game.I don't think Itsuno San would want to ruin his credibility in announcing large projects by announcing a mobile game on twitter like that.

Frazz

General gamer
What's interesting to me is that if it is DMC related then they'd have had to have been working on concept art for a while. This would jar with the 'no plans' in October as if they had no plans then they wouldn't have had any concept art yet. I doubt they'd have come up with concepts, weapons etc within three months. Hopefully I'm wrong but this makes it seem less likely to be DMC.

NessPSI

Tony Redgraaaave!
DMC4 has a ton of unused concepts. So much that it could possibly make up a whole game in itself if not close. I wouldnt be surprised if we end up seeing some of them.

Sparda's Rebellion

Style matters in combat.
What's interesting to me is that if it is DMC related then they'd have had to have been working on concept art for a while. This would jar with the 'no plans' in October as if they had no plans then they wouldn't have had any concept art yet. I doubt they'd have come up with concepts, weapons etc within three months. Hopefully I'm wrong but this makes it seem less likely to be DMC.
In the Graphic Arts book that came out a while back, Itsuno said that they had been working on DMC3SE and DMC4 at the same time, no reason they couldn't have been working on 4SE and concepts for story and weapons for 5 at the same time. Maybe that's why It took them over a year to work on 4SE, because it wasn't the only project they were working on.

Frazz

General gamer
Looks like the Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC port has received pretty great reviews... I now fear that Itsuno's working on DD2 and that my DMC5 hopes are in vain. Given that they were already working on the PC port it wouldn't be far fetched to think that they did the port to ready themselves for a sequel.

Sparda's Rebellion

Style matters in combat.
Looks like the Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC port has received pretty great reviews... I now fear that Itsuno's working on DD2 and that my DMC5 hopes are in vain. Given that they were already working on the PC port it wouldn't be far fetched to think that they did the port to ready themselves for a sequel.
Remember, Dragon's Dogma Online in being launched in the US this year, so they kind of already are making a sequel. Capcom has also made it very clear that they want DDO to become a mainstay in gaming and are hoping it will be the next WoW. I don't think they would trample the sales that will happen through micro transactions and digital content associated with DDO by putting out a sequel that a lot of people would end up getting instead of playing online. Why put out an online game that you want to become the next WoW if you're just going to announce later this year that there will be a better game than that coming out too, pretty much assuring that DDO will fail because I know if I have the choice, I'm waiting for DD2 not spending my money on DDO.

Frazz

General gamer
Remember, Dragon's Dogma Online in being launched in the US this year, so they kind of already are making a sequel. Capcom has also made it very clear that they want DDO to become a mainstay in gaming and are hoping it will be the next WoW. I don't think they would trample the sales that will happen through micro transactions and digital content associated with DDO by putting out a sequel that a lot of people would end up getting instead of playing online. Why put out an online game that you want to become the next WoW if you're just going to announce later this year that there will be a better game than that coming out too, pretty much assuring that DDO will fail because I know if I have the choice, I'm waiting for DD2 not spending my money on DDO.
That's a good point! I'm just so burned out on so many years hoping for DMC5 that it just seems as if it is an impossible dream so I often just think that it won't happen. However considering what you just said I have a little more hope...

Sparda's Rebellion

Style matters in combat.
That's a good point! I'm just so burned out on so many years hoping for DMC5 that it just seems as if it is an impossible dream so I often just think that it won't happen. However considering what you just said I have a little more hope...
lol I know dude I felt the same way until recently, but after reading Capcom's fiscal report for this year and what they are planning for the next 3 years until the end of fiscal year 2018 which ends on March 31, I have a lot of legitimate hope. I'm a pessimist too and any news I would get related to DMC5 that didn't come straight from Itsuno San or Capcom, I would think is complete bullshit. But in this report they are clearly talking about the DMC series several times when mentioning how outsourcing failed and they're moving to an internal game development moving forward and also how some certain games (DMC4SE) sold well in digital online sales and how that is a business mindset that they will have in their consumer games moving from package to digital. Not to mention that they actually name the DMC series as being in their "Main Pipeline" in a message to their shareholders, which I dare say they care about more than their fans and I highly doubt that they would lie to. Believe me, if it wasn't for that report, I would be the biggest negative Nancy in here but because of that and now Itsuno's tweet, I finally feel like I can say this year that we'll probably see some sort of announcement at either E3 or TGS. I almost feel like I'm jinxing it even saying that but that's how good the recent news sounds to me. Hopefully I won't be eating my words a year from now, I can't wait for E3 and TGS.

Frazz

General gamer
So in the Jimquisition's most recent episode Jim Sterling said something which I believe explains the lack of a new DMC game recently. He states that sources of his have said that major publishers thought that the console market was dying out and so they all were going to make free to play, microtransaction based games for PC and mobile. Then when the PS4 and Xbox 1 started selling well they realised that they had no big games in production for them and so companies made HD remasters to release something whilst trying to figure out what games to make for the current consoles now that they are a viable option. Capcom could have been like this and so they made DmC: DE and DMC4: SE just to have something released for the consoles. Jim explains it all better than me (but he's referencing Squeenix):

Sparda's Rebellion

Style matters in combat.
So in the Jimquisition's most recent episode Jim Sterling said something which I believe explains the lack of a new DMC game recently. He states that sources of his have said that major publishers thought that the console market was dying out and so they all were going to make free to play, microtransaction based games for PC and mobile. Then when the PS4 and Xbox 1 started selling well they realised that they had no big games in production for them and so companies made HD remasters to release something whilst trying to figure out what games to make for the current consoles now that they are a viable option. Capcom could have been like this and so they made DmC: DE and DMC4: SE just to have something released for the consoles. Jim explains it all better than me (but he's referencing Squeenix):
Yeah that's definitely possible, I have a hard time believing that Capcom wasn't planning something with franchises like DMC and Dead Rising but you never know what's going on behind developer doors. I never thought Konami would become such a craphole, I was wrong about that.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I wouldn't mind Capcom getting a writer from Marvel or DC to come in and write DMC. It could be interesting to see what they would come up with if given the chance. Plus they would have more experience working with an established franchise so we might avoid some of the direction problems the franchise has.

On the Japanese Front, I wouldn't mind Kazehige Nojima come in and write a game. He worked on FF7,FF8, FF10, KH and is s freelancer so he worked on one of the Smash Bros games. Recently he has expressed interest in working on a older more expierenced protagonist which Dante would benefit from greatly. Plus he has an well known resume which Capcom can market.

Sparda's Rebellion

Style matters in combat.
I wouldn't mind Capcom getting a writer from Marvel or DC to come in and write DMC. It could be interesting to see what they would come up with if given the chance. Plus they would have more experience working with an established franchise so we might avoid some of the direction problems the franchise has.

On the Japanese Front, I wouldn't mind Kazehige Nojima come in and write a game. He worked on FF7,FF8, FF10, KH and is s freelancer so he worked on one of the Smash Bros games. Recently he has expressed interest in working on a older more expierenced protagonist which Dante would benefit from greatly. Plus he has an well known resume which Capcom can market.
I like that idea too, but after what happened with Ninja Theory, I highly doubt Capcom would consider going out of Capcom Japan on any part of the next DMC.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I like that idea too, but after what happened with Ninja Theory, I highly doubt Capcom would consider going out of Capcom Japan on any part of the next DMC.
They do need a new writer after bingo left so that could motivate them to bring nojima, especially if other in-house writers are tied up.

Getting a marvel writer would be less likely as I don't know how strong their relationship. MVC3 was written by a marvel writer and some of their other writers have expressed interest in games. One of their former writers worked on Dead Space and bulletstorm. The most recent Spider-Man games were written in house as well.

I do get your point but bringing outside help or trying to appeal to the west wasn't their problem. DmC went through a rough patch because Capcom didn't play it smart or understood what it was doing.

Them just pushing the blame on NT is them just being ignorant/arrogant.

Sparda's Rebellion

Style matters in combat.
They do need a new writer after bingo left so that could motivate them to bring nojima, especially if other in-house writers are tied up.

Getting a marvel writer would be less likely as I don't know how strong their relationship. MVC3 was written by a marvel writer and some of their other writers have expressed interest in games. One of their former writers worked on Dead Space and bulletstorm. The most recent Spider-Man games were written in house as well.

I do get your point but bringing outside help or trying to appeal to the west wasn't their problem. DmC went through a rough patch because Capcom didn't play it smart or understood what it was doing.

Them just pushing the blame on NT is them just being ignorant/arrogant.
Is it 100% that Bingo left and isn't coming back for DMC5?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Is it 100% that Bingo left and isn't coming back for DMC5?
nope because we don't know the reasons behind his departure. Him being fired was fan speculation but I'm not sure I want him back because the anime was really bad even to the point of being dull. That doesn't bring confidence towards him writing an older Dante well but maybe there were other reasons behind tose problems. People said that DMC4 suffered from budget problems with the game being only 40% complete.

He is a freelancer, but I don't know if he would be back or not for a DMC5, but Capcom has other stellar writers there.
who would you recommend?

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
nope because we don't know the reasons behind his departure. Him being fired was fan speculation but I'm not sure I want him back because the anime was really bad even to the point of being dull. That doesn't bring confidence towards him writing an older Dante well but maybe there were other reasons behind tose problems. People said that DMC4 suffered from budget problems with the game being only 40% complete.

who would you recommend?
Good question! I don't know names, but I still see good stories coming from Capcom's games, so they still have good people there. We don't know if Bingo was good or bad , in the sense Capcom's superiors meddle too much in team's affairs ( Kamiya complained about it too): we just know Bingo had a extensive story written for DMC4 and someone ( one of his bosses, I suppose) just butchered it. Kobayashi is not innocent of this too.
About a dull Dante in anime:
DMC1 novel describes Dante as being serious, philosophical, loner and calm, his one liners and that "devil may care attitude" was only a facade for making him felt at ease. People like to think Dante is some kind of a Ninja Turtle, but he isn't.
Taking into account Anime used some parts of that novel, the Dante we see in anime is his real "me".

Top Bottom