• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC: Devil may cry-Combat

Caiden

The PROBLEM is in MGR you can't remap dodge or any button to any other input. in DmC, you can map dodge to whatever button you want, it was just done so players could decide on their own, in MGR its decided for you. I am so confused by what the heck your actual problem is with a remappable dodge button, if they left it blank would you have been happier. I mean remapping gunspecial or deviltrigger, they left that up to the advanced players, cuz they're be the only ones that would bother. You can put attack on dpad down for all dmC cares, its all about providing the players options. Try remapping anything in MGR, its like you either learn the convoluted system they implemented or gfys.

First, are you deliberately being bi-polar, just above you said, I don't see myeslf standing around to demon dodge, so I tell you that you can naturally do it in DmC the more aggressive you play and provide a video. Now you counter, that you can do this in DMC4 when you can't with the same level of fluidity with the same argument I presented. Wtf?

Anyway, yes, those are all options, which are also available in DmC, but its the dodge same kind of natural fluidity like DmC. Just because you randomly struck a guy or did it one or two times doesn't make it an integral seamless flowing system. The dodges in DmC are supposed to flow as naturally as your attacks, its simply about getting into a rhythm. Show me a nero video, where he is fighting multiple targets and dodging using tablehopper or evades that doesn't feel clunky. I mean the very act of him slowing down to lock on is enough to ruin the fast paced flow.

No Demon Dodge doesn't fall into the same set up, because you don't have to lock on or slow down, you just tap dodge + trigger, and time slows down, if you didn't input a proper direction, than you can use that slowdown to angel dodge into a different direction and out of harm's way.

Also, DMC4 and older DMC games just didn't handle dodging multiple targets well at all, you literally had to always use trickster and in neros case you just you buster grabbed or pushed enemies into corners. The problem is the "ideal" tactics are forced on the player, where as DmC, you have multiple solutions to every problem, so you have more room to be creative while actually playing the normal game and not just during combo videos with the AI disabled.

Oh, I just noticed you love exceed in DMC4, DEMON DODGE in DmC is more like Exceed if anything, since its just about timing right before a strike, if you input trigger + dodge right before an enemy is about to strike you you will get a damage boost to all your attacks, and it is as natural as tapping the button right before a strike during nero combos.

It's not about remapping, Its about the fact that we have two buttons that do the same thing. It think it would be cool if they used that second button for some type of further innovation. I don't see why you want to argue with me. Like I said its just some I don't like much. It doesn't have anything to do with what one game does over another.

But you did want to see a table hopper vid so.....

The vid speed has been slightly increased but he does really well with integrating table hopper and showing various ways to dodge besides just the base side roll.

Another nice one. Some pretty good dodges after 2:20.

Things have been getting pretty hostile around here.

Oppressed, head's up. The guy is a headache.

Pro-DMC all the time.

FO has been throwing personal insults at me for the past few days. Stop labeling people dude. It's not cool. I have also admitted multiple times to the flaws of previous DMC games and even my favorite.

Last edited:

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
It's not about remapping, Its about the fact that we have two buttons that do the same thing. It think it would be cool if they used that second button for some type of further innovation. I don't see why you want to argue with me. Like I said its just some I don't like much.

Honestly, what confounds me above all else is how you totally understand why there are two (for ease of use with L1+R2/R1+L2 inputs), which justifies the existence of both, and without one the system suffers slightly, unless the player makes the conscious decision to remap one of them for another function and adjust to only having the one.

What would you have rather had in place of one of those dodge buttons then? Just curious.

Caiden

Honestly, what confounds me above all else is how you totally understand why there are two (for ease of use with L1+R2/R1+L2 inputs), which justifies the existence of both, and without one the system suffers slightly, unless the player makes the conscious decision to remap one of them for another function and adjust to only having the one.

What would you have rather had in place of one of those dodge buttons then? Just curious.

I have wondered myself what could replace it. Unfortunately I lack a certain level of creativity. I would like it to be something dependent on the player not the enemy, so not a block or parry, and maybe done on the off hand like charge shots. Since the dodge triggers purpose would change dependent of angel or demon mode I think the opposite trigger should be treated the same so that it would have a different effect considering which mode you are in. I would love to see powers and magic more integrated into the series. Most of what we see is weapon based of done threw summoned swords. I think it would be cool to see abilities based around pure demonic or angel powers. I guess you could compare it slightly to how Dante uses a lot more demon abilities whenever he unlocks his DT in DMC1 just more integrated to be used throughout the flow of combat. Just my thoughts, maybe someone else has a better idea.

The Final Offer

05066a188b040e211e720c6392357578907142d5686435b123ac785a19e99720.jpg

I have wondered myself what could replace it. Unfortunately I lack a certain level of creativity. I would like it to be something dependent on the player not the enemy, so not a block or parry, and maybe done on the off hand like charge shots. Since the dodge triggers purpose would change dependent of angel or demon mode I think the opposite trigger should be treated the same so that it would have a different effect considering which mode you are in. I would love to see powers and magic more integrated into the series. Most of what we see is weapon based of done threw summoned swords. I think it would be cool to see abilities based around pure demonic or angel powers. I guess you could compare it slightly to how Dante uses a lot more demon abilities whenever he unlocks his DT in DMC1 just more integrated to be used throughout the flow of combat. Just my thoughts, maybe someone else has a better idea.

Omg, these videos are once again one and one combat, and you see the player has to focus intently to dodge during a bosses phase attack or big giant attack, especially in the case of NERO, and once again, its just a mapping issue, the button can be remapped to GUNSPECIAL or Deviltrigger or whatever the player wants, you're just complaining that it wasn't done for you in the first place. *face palm*>

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Look guys if you want an insane challenge then play dmc4 on PC on god must die mode and LDK mode together and have fun , if you wanna do insane combat that wrecks your hands play dmc4 and master jc. However if you want a good challenge with stylish action and a fluid way of creating combos and having fun play DmC. Personally I prefer DMC4 as I have stupid hours put into it mastering j'cing of all kinds. I still find DmC to be a brilliant game with a brilliant combat system with its own technical aspects and complexities in certain moves.So why as fans can we not enjoy our favorite games without bickering and arguing over what is better .

Caiden

I don't think you understand what I am getting at. Instead of leaving the button as a second dodge I would have liked if they attempted to bring in a new gameplay aspect. I am fine with the current mapping of the game. I just wish we would stop seeing unused buttons on the controller. Most of the DMC games have done it and it always bothers me.

Tony at Home

Look guys if you want an insane challenge then play dmc4 on PC on god must die mode and LDK mode together and have fun , if you wanna do insane combat that wrecks your hands play dmc4 and master jc. However if you want a good challenge with stylish action and a fluid way of creating combos and having fun play DmC. Personally I prefer DMC4 as I have stupid hours put into it mastering j'cing of all kinds. I still find DmC to be a brilliant game with a brilliant combat system with its own technical aspects and complexities in certain moves.So why as fans can we not enjoy our favorite games without bickering and arguing over what is better .

To be fair, there is actually some intelligent discussion going on about the game mechanics themselves.

Apart from the original post which basically says "durr, I thought this was boring".

It's not always a matter of taste- some mechanics just work better than others.

For example- I mentioned Dante's evasive dodges in DmC are a bit too strong. One change could be to limit Angel Evade to only work and give Dante invincibility frames when the timing is precise, like Nero's table hopper.

Then there's also ideas in DmC that Devil May Cry 4 type-gameplay can benefit from. One thing I loved in DmC is to offset combo's while changing weapons. Such as doing 2 rebellion attacks, then a pause that would carry over as I switched to Arbiter to do a Trinity Smash. Bayonetta had something similar to this, but with "Dodge Offsets".

I mean, how awesome would it be if you could dodge offset with Table Hopper, similar to Bayonetta? It would allow them to introduce much more aggressive enemies, while still leaving the player with good offensive options.

Caiden

To be fair, the is actually some intelligent discussion going on about the game mechanics themselves.

Apart from the original post which basically says "durr, I thought this was boring".

It's not always a matter of taste- some mechanics just work better than others.

For example- I mentioned Dante's evasive dodges in DmC are a bit too strong. One change could be to limit Angel Evade to only work and give Dante invincibility frames when the timing is precise, like Nero's table hopper.

Then there's also ideas in DmC that Devil May Cry 4 type-gameplay can benefit from. One thing I loved in DmC is to offset combo's while changing weapons. Such as doing 2 rebellion attacks, then a pause that would carry over as I switched to Arbiter to do a Trinity Smash. Bayonetta had something similar to this, but with "Dodge Offsets".

I mean, how awesome would it be if you could dodge offset with Table Hopper, similar to Bayonetta? It would allow them to introduce much more aggressive enemies, while still leaving the player with good offensive options.

More smooth weapon switching is definatly something that needs to be carried out from now on.

AcidX_Y

I don't think you understand what I am getting at. Instead of leaving the button as a second dodge I would have liked if they attempted to bring in a new gameplay aspect. I am fine with the current mapping of the game. I just wish we would stop seeing unused buttons on the controller. Most of the DMC games have done it and it always bothers me.
I would have liked one to be a block button with demon block being similar to royal guard and angel block being a phase through sort of thing.

I think you fail to grasp the value of putting gunspecial onto a separate button, without doing this you cannot do advanced techniques in DmC: stuff like double gun charge stocking, or charging ricoshot while doing rainstorms, or fireworks, the extra ability you're seeking is already in DmC, and the fact you can't do this without remapping one of the dodges to gunspecial is evidence that they knew about it and expected advanced players to choose which dodge to sacrifice. Also, again, DmC doesn't waste it for 90% of players, because the dodges are their for convenience and are different when modified with each trigger. This is not really wasting a button, since you can REMAP IT. DmC does not waste any buttons, because it allows you TO MAP all the two button press functions to individual buttons (again see gunspecial and deviltrigger)I don't know how many times I have to repeat this.

Also, remapping deviltrigger to dpaddown also allows for something that can't feasibly be done with the default scheme, which is deviltrigger cancelling to skip the animation. So again, remapping brings about a new element to the gameplay and is reserved for the advanced players who'd care to experiment with it.

Honestly, this ass backwards config thing is a jap game issue and platinum won't let bad habits die. Take for example, Sam, now Sam has something similar to dante's old trickster dash. He has a nice free dodge, when you can get it to work without the camera ****ing you, but in order to do a dash in the air, you have to let go of Ninja run and tap it again. WHY IS THIS? If they had mapped dodge to circle than circle could be like the old style button at the very least. That way the player would know, okay circle is evasive manuerver both in air and ground.

Right now its like, okay, you ninja run to escape, than you press jump jump, oh **** you want to evade again, so you have to let go of RT, which feels unnatural and press it again. If the dash and dodge were on circle none of this would be an issue, but again stupid backwards control schemes.

I would have liked one to be a block button with demon block being similar to royal guard and angel block being a phase through sort of thing.
The problem with it being a royal guard esque move is that it becomes a move that doesn't chain into combos, the thing about the demon dodge buff is that you dodge and if you're really good you can combine it with angel dodge to dodge back into place to continue with any attack only now you have a damage buff. A royal guard I assume would parry back damage or something, and I feel like the parry mechanic in DmC already does that. As for the need to make DmC dodging as absurdly precise as something like MGR is not a good idea, the challenge in DmC is about using that the additional leniency to experiment and express yourself with the combo system. The more rigid you make timings and last second evades or nerf abilities, the more you restrict the players ability to get crazy with the combos.

Watch how Eryx Parries work, it is the only parry in the game that actually damages the enemies in addition to parrying them. It is DmC's version of royal guard, because you stand still, and release the button at the precise time of an incoming attack. All of DmC is based around the concept of hold and release. Every move, and every attack is about mastering the timing of when to hold and when to let go, that is why the system works as elegantly and smoothly as it does.

Now compare this to

I know I"m repeating but this is honestly a platinum game's issue and their reluctance to modernize their combat systems, they even tried to do a free dodge with Sam, but the problem is that its too wonky with the constant camera switching, sometimes he'll cartwheel sometimes he'll roll in close combat, because for some stupid reason Sam has to evade only a single target, enemies don't strike an area, they strike you, this is the flaw in coding. DmC the enemies strike an area, and if a player happens to be in it, they get hit, they don't just all torpedo in with stupid accuracy. I mean in this armstrong fight, its fun, I'm glad I did it on very hard, but its stupid cheap, and bugged to all hell. He spams his torpedo, sometimes you dodge, but you still get hit from buggy hitbox, and so forth.
Also notice how its the same as how dodging with Nero was, its like you either dodge dodge dodge or you attack, i know you can dodge and quick draw, but its still not as seamless as it should be. It always becomes a process of finding a repetitive system to exploit instead of being a flexible system that rewards both player skill and creativity.

Last edited:
I have wondered myself what could replace it. Unfortunately I lack a certain level of creativity. I would like it to be something dependent on the player not the enemy, so not a block or parry, and maybe done on the off hand like charge shots. Since the dodge triggers purpose would change dependent of angel or demon mode I think the opposite trigger should be treated the same so that it would have a different effect considering which mode you are in. .

Actually, charge shots are modified via triggers, if you combine angel boost + charged shot without letting go of angel trigger, dante will fly back towards the enemy and perform a double air dash, you see me doing it all the time in my videos, where i boost past an enemy and shoot it behind me, or I spin around with a shotgun bomb.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall

Because our fanbase has assholes.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
You can respond by accepting my challenge since I know for a fact that you have the game on PC, and that you can use a free program called msi afterburner to record at 144P if need be to prove me wrong.

Also, feel free to elaborate in detail when you make statements like this:
"the removal of styles? no they oversimplified it into stances, a heavy stance and a light stance, my complaint is that they have not as much depth as tricksters mix of closing distance (angel dodge? Demon Pull, angel pull, aquilas buy in, aquilas calibur, and so forth?) and getting away(angel dodge, kicker, charged gunshots with inertia and magnetism, kabloeey etc) or swordmasters extension to your moveset(such as, and how?)."
Here feel free to use this as a guide:

Same goes for Original Poster, accept my challenge, or don't expect a reasonable discussion when you post such inflammatory nonsense as fact.

sam buddy I have a challenge for you dude and if anyone can pull it off in DmC you can anyway the chaleenge is to whats in the below videos in DmC I am interested to see can it be done without the trickster style I am sure the inputs would have to be insane

I know the Aquila mid air dash simulates a star rave but not a side rave and not with the same speed
as for sky running or guard flying I am not sure how you would do that

sam buddy I have a challenge for you dude and if anyone can pull it off in DmC you can anyway the chaleenge is to whats in the below videos in DmC I am interested to see can it be done without the trickster style I am sure the inputs would have to be insane

I know the Aquila mid air dash simulates a star rave but not a side rave and not with the same speed
as for sky running or guard flying I am not sure how you would do that

I'll give it a shot again, been busy with work lately, but here is an old video that probably got the closest to it, the problem is the lack of enemies that are heavy enough for Dante to grind against (bosses are considered demonic walls for collision purposes) , so the realistic physics make it very hard to do on the lighter enemies in the game. Also, the other thing is a speed issue, the video below was without any turbo. I mean I'm not sure if you can just spam it on a dead enemy, does it have any purpose on active AI, does it work better against them or is it just a glitch. One thing I'v noticed is all the advanced tech in DmC actually makes fighting the enemies easier, double gun charging, style switching on dreamrunners etc. The only move that I find to be "tech" for tech's sake is that inertia dodge thing I did in my last video. It usually results in you getting hit by enemies since you dodge into line of attack without any available evade options.

As for the second video, I'm pretty sure you can do that fast in DmC, you have to use the charged ricoshot to cancel when you glide away from the enemy, its pretty damn fast. So you have a charged shot, you do aquilas dash or a few other moves that put the enemy just above you, then you angel boost off and away from them, and then you release ricoshot, you should fly back towards them now: righta s you do you want to cancel into anotehr aquilas dash so you can grind off them again, and repeat.

Also, one thing got keep in mind is that DmC seems to have larger combat areas, they're really open spaces so even though it may look like Dante is slower, he's traveling really fast you can see how quickly I close in distances in the video above.

Last edited:

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Nice video quite impressive, the raves in DMC4 work against regular enemies as the enemy Step is better so you can rave them being at there shoulder height I find in mission 12 on dmd or gmd and missions 15 , 16 and 17 too it is effective when scarecrows frosts or angelos group together as you can JC against them sky run guard fly side rave star rave and reverse rave quite easily thanks to the enemy step not requiring them to be in mid air.

Last edited:
Top Bottom