• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC: Devil may cry-Combat

cheesydonutman

Look, the new DmC is not the best game in the world. One of the main complaints is the combat. Most say it is to simple and boring, has horrible weapons, enemies are boring and uninteresting and the fact that a three year old could get SSS within five seconds on Dante must Die. My opinion? Well the combat is simple and easy, the enemies look boring but their combat styles do differ quite a bit. The angel and demon mode mechanic sucks and the weapons are pretty boring (compared to the original games) BUT Kablooey is pretty cool. I wouldn't say the combat is boring but after you have beat it on one of the tougher difficulties you start to get sick of it. But one of my biggest complaints is the removal of styles. They were a very strategic and awesome mechanic forcing you to practice with each of the styles to master them. With the angel and demon modes you can just pick it up and start owning.

Anyway what do you guys think?

(Oh and also the boss fights are boring scripted puzzles at best)

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I find the combat more enjoyable in DmC then I do in DMC4 because its easier to get into. DmC also has quicker weapon switching compared to the past games and I prefer New Dante's way of combat animation because the small movements are important like the little stumbles he does with his attacks.

The Final Offer

Look, the new DmC is not the best game in the world. One of the main complaints is the combat. Most say it is to simple and boring, has horrible weapons, enemies are boring and uninteresting and the fact that a three year old could get SSS within five seconds on Dante must Die. My opinion? Well the combat is simple and easy, the enemies look boring but their combat styles do differ quite a bit. The angel and demon mode mechanic sucks and the weapons are pretty boring (compared to the original games) BUT Kablooey is pretty cool. I wouldn't say the combat is boring but after you have beat it on one of the tougher difficulties you start to get sick of it. But one of my biggest complaints is the removal of styles. They were a very strategic and awesome mechanic forcing you to practice with each of the styles to master them. With the angel and demon modes you can just pick it up and start owning.

Who's complaining about the combat? Where at? Who's "most"?

I gotta see this. Lol

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
This stuff again...?

I find the combat more enjoyable in DmC then I do in DMC4 because its easier to get into. DmC also has quicker weapon switching compared to the past games and I prefer New Dante's way of combat animation because the small movements are important like the little stumbles he does with his attacks.

I will say this, though - DMC3 still does it's weapon switching well, because it's only back and forth from one to the other.

Being given the opportunity to hold more than two weapons at a time? DmC's Stance mode system is the best option, because despite there being a handful of weapons available to you, it still operates on a principle similar to DMC3's - you're only switching back and forth between one weapon and another. What am I talkin' about?!

Please, consider the following...

In DMC3, I can easily switch back and forth between Rebellion and Nevan with a simple tap of the button. Back, forth, back, forth...it's great!

In DmC, the similar philosophy still holds true! I can change back and forth between Rebellion and Osiris simply by holding a button down. HOWEVER I can still just as easily switch back and forth between Osiris and Aquila by simply tapping D-Pad Left (because only two weapons exist per mode). DMC3's philosophy of one-button switching is still present, and works wonders!

But yes...that is another great reason why I love DmC's combat so much, it took that weapon hot-swapping from DMC3 and actually managed to add more weapons where normally it wouldn't have worked (see: DMC4)!

This is also incredibly easy in DmC because there is a distinct lack of many directional inputs other than Stinger, which frees up the left thumb for more, while in DMC4, all the Styles are on the D-Pad, but your thumb has to contend with being all over the D-Pad and the left stick. DmC makes it so much easier on the player's thumb because there's very little directional input involved in combat, so it's much easier for switching. This is why Nero is somewhat more fun to play for some, because subconsciously to the player he's less demanding on your left thumb :tongue:

Anyway, this is why DMC4 falls short for me - it gave us a whole lot, but not in an intuitive way. Cycling through weapons is never fun in a fast-paced combat game, and the controls demanding a lot of your left thumb's attention be split didn't make things any more enjoyable.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Deja vu I think
Major deja vu. :tongue:
We already had one member here posting topic after topic that basically amounted to DmC combat sucks and 'true fans' should ask for better because my opinion is right. Then there was all that rubbish about 'combat deepness'.

Topics like this are subjective. There are no facts to back up assertions of 'most people' preferring one combat style over the other. The only thing used as an argument in topics like this is subjective opinion.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Then there was all that rubbish about 'combat deepness'.

27285798.jpg

There are no facts to back up assertions of 'most people' preferring one combat style over the other.

This is actually a huge thing to consider - there's no "most of the fanbase" only X number of loudmouths within the fanbase say this, and there are less than X number of other loudmouths saying the contrary.

Somehow it's easy to forget that a lot of people who feel a certain way about something don't spend time on the internet b!tching about it.

Hell! I had been a Devil May Cry fan since 2001 and I hadn't counted myself among fans on the internet until like...uh...maybe two years ago?

Last edited:

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Yeaaaaa, I'm sensing Deja vu here:
http://devilmaycry.org/threads/my-problem-with-dmc-again-its-the-combat.17635/

Part of the idea was to make the game easy to get into if people were new to the franchise (hence why the combat if 'simple'). I quite like the idea of Angel/Demon aligned weapons (some enemies could only be defeated with one or the other, which I thought was great). My opinion... Kablooey sucked.
Still better than DMC4 though.

seraphmaycry

i'd say "most people isn't true" but i don't want to repeat something everyone else said.

SSS did seem waaay to easy to get and hold to me, which obsoleted the style meter.

the design for the weapons and enemies were not the best (utter rubbish) Dante's attacks did feel really sloppy as well, especially with rebellion.

the removal of styles? no they oversimplified it into stances, a heavy stance and a light stance, my complaint is that they have not as much depth as tricksters mix of closing distance and getting away or swordmasters extension to your moveset.

bosses did feel scripted, i always know what they are going to do and exactly how to react.

that all said it was a fun experience to play through, i just wouldn't be bothered with it again.

in short DmC is a game you rent and return, DMC is a series you buy one of the games and master until you can beat the insane challenge it often presents.

i think many things need a nerf in DmC, mainly osiris parry-spin and aquila pull.

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
in short DmC is a game you rent and return, DMC is a series you buy one of the games and master until you can beat the insane challenge it often presents.
SAYS. F*CKING. WHO?

Who are you to say which Devil May Cry I should buy? Who are you to say which Devil May Cry I should master? So I can only rent and return DmC; the version of Devil May Cry I actually like and the version I would prefer. But I have to by DMC4: the Devil May Cry I loathe with every fiber of my being?

No, screw that.

I'd buy DmC in a heart beat then by a game series that I only like 2 out of 4 of its entries.

seraphmaycry

SAYS. F*CKING. WHO?

Who are you to say which Devil May Cry I should buy? Who are you to say which Devil May Cry I should master? So I can only rent and return DmC; the version of Devil May Cry I actually like and the version I would prefer. But I have to by DMC4: the Devil May Cry I loathe with every fiber of my being?

No, screw that.

I'd buy DmC in a heart beat then by a game series that I only like 2 out of 4 of its entries.

my bad, it was just what i thought, if you disagree, i wouldn't stop you from playing it because i don't like it.

my bad, it was just what i thought, if you disagree, i wouldn't stop you from playing it because i don't like it.
You play on PC right, here I'll make a custom mod for you, dante does 50% damage and its impossible to get S rank, will the game suddenly become AMAZEballs to you because its stupid hard and impossible to get S rank. I just find this opinion to be entirely vacuous and lacking understanding of DmC's focus on improving your style with a flexible comb o system and not just simple getting a stupid sss rank.

Hell, if you're so focused on challenge, go defeat my tougher vergil boss mod with an SSS rank and we'll talk. You're basically arguing for pointless numbers as if they would suddenly make the game has loads of replay value. I love playing DmC because it allows me to be as creative and stylish as I want in every encounter, it gives me all the tools to create action poetry.

And I wil lkeep repeating this until I see any of the people talking smack about lack of flexibilty and combo depth in DmC create a combo like this; also point out again how DmC dante lacks the ability to close distance when he has two moves that give him this ability, not to mention various attacks that bring both him closer to enemies and enemies closer to him. Also, tell me how the older dante's could air dodge and change directions with as much as flexiblity as DmC Dante's double tap trickster/tablehop for both air and ground.

Last edited:

seraphmaycry

You play on PC right, here I'll make a custom mod for you, dante does 50% damage and its impossible to get S rank, will the game suddenly become AMAZEballs to you because its stupid hard and impossible to get S rank. I just find this opinion to be entirely vacuous and lacking understanding of DmC's focus on improving your style with a flexible comb o system and not just simple getting a stupid sss rank.

i don't know how to respond with create an argument, so i'll just let this post stand instead.

apologies to OP and those who have preference to DmC.

cheesydonutman

everybody just calm down! this is just a thread to state my opinion on the combat and ask your opinions! not to start an argument.

i don't know how to respond with create an argument, so i'll just let this post stand instead.

apologies to OP and those who have preference to DmC.
You can respond by accepting my challenge since I know for a fact that you have the game on PC, and that you can use a free program called msi afterburner to record at 144P if need be to prove me wrong.

Also, feel free to elaborate in detail when you make statements like this:
"the removal of styles? no they oversimplified it into stances, a heavy stance and a light stance, my complaint is that they have not as much depth as tricksters mix of closing distance (angel dodge? Demon Pull, angel pull, aquilas buy in, aquilas calibur, and so forth?) and getting away(angel dodge, kicker, charged gunshots with inertia and magnetism, kabloeey etc) or swordmasters extension to your moveset(such as, and how?)."
Here feel free to use this as a guide:

Same goes for Original Poster, accept my challenge, or don't expect a reasonable discussion when you post such inflammatory nonsense as fact.

Last edited:
Top Bottom