• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Definitive Edition for PS4 & Xbox One

Judge

Man, I was just told I was wrong by you people. Love Vergil all you want, ok? I don't care, but I explained why I think Vergil is a more dynamic character in the latest Devil May Cry over 3. He was one thing about the originals I never cared for. Yes I was being blunt, but you still know it's my opinion which I am providing context for. And others do agree with me and see what I'm saying. In DmC, most of your complaints are because he's different. Your fanfic speculations do not count here. He's really not all that different, but definitely has more of a personality on display here.

Seriously, a lot of how fans perceived Vergil is based primarily in their noodles. That's what a lot of people take away when it just isn't there. Now, yea it's all melodrama meant to provoke more extreme reactions, but it's not the best written or best melodrama I've seen. Itsuno and them, are just not very good storytellers. This is Devil May Cry, not Oscar bait.

Not saying the generic stuff can be bad, it's just generic.

Vergil was always the bad kind of generic to me because he's just not very interesting at all. His type of character was so trite and like a dime a dozen in anime which I am also a very avid fan of and what Devil May Cry was always inspired by as well as the Divine Comedy. So yea, I'll take Vergil and his OKCupid fedora over that silly looking pirate any day of the week.

Thats sort of the thng I liked and disliked about DmC. They finally explored the relationship between Dante and Vergil. Finally after four games, they decided to make these guys like each other and become friends.

The previous games never expanded on that. DMC3 just set up Vergil as the villain from the beginning and it never explored any friendship between the two characters. Dante was sad his brother died at the end, but we never got to see if they were ever close or anything like that.

Then again DMC3 Vergil isn't really a friendly type of guy (lol). I don't expect that character to have any deep freindship with Dante or anyone, it was never supposed to be like that, and I don't think it would work for that interpretation fo the character.

The thing they did really well in DmC was relationship between Dante and Vergil. We didn't want the friendship between Dante and Vergil to end. Thats exactly how a great story should be. You should be left wanting these characters to have cotinued their friendship (think Berserk manga).

DMC3 never gave us that. The characters were enemies, we wanted to see them fight, we were never invested in any friendship between the two characters. Even with DMC4 SE, fans are expecting Vergil to return as a villain. They don't think that the character can offer a deeper relationship with Dante. Which DmC did provide.

At the same time, what I said before stands. DMC3 Vergil is a different character, he's not supposed to be like DmC Vergil, nor should be be. He works in that game. That Vergil would simply not work in DmC. Its not telling the same story, nor should it, its a reboot.

That being said, DMC1's Nelo-Angelo is an utterly different character altogether. He's an enigma, and that might have made for an exciting story had Team Little Devil's continued with Devil May Cry before it was handed to Capcom's Production and Development Team 4.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I like Foxy's idea of pizza.

And dude, I'm not trying to be rude and ignore people, it's just apparently our souls are at odds. You're not gonna see my perspective, and I think OG Vergil is still an uninteresting and lame villain. Obviously we'll just be running in circles. Right out the gate you said you would never see where I'm coming from.

However like I said, if you like Vergil you do. I got nothing against anyone personally. I mean I got nothing against Foxy I know Vergil's like his favorite character in gaming. I think he is. Something tells me he is. :tongue:That's cool.

@DragonMaster2010 wins.

berto

I Saw the Devil
No... it probably wouldn't.
Sure it would. Look at the narrative in perspective of how it portrays Dante and everyone around him. He is the only one who sees action and does the 'cool' things and, aside from one line from Vergil, he says all the 'fun' stuff. Vergil is always less than him, he has to have him do things for him, and what little Vergil does is fairly small by contrast, even when Mundus is trying to pop his chest open it's Dante doing the hard part. Most everything/everyone around Dante is there to make him look good (he punches a bouncer, for crying out loud), including Vergil.

If Vergil won the fight the narrative might've been... 'better,' but it wouldn't be the same power fantasy that it's going for.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
If Vergil won the fight the narrative might've been... 'better,' but it wouldn't be the same power fantasy that it's going for.
Affirmative. I was in agreement with your original post, in fact. I didn't convey my response clearly enough, it seems.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Affirmative. I was in agreement with your original post, in fact. I didn't convey my response clearly enough, it seems.
Quite. I was trying to say that it would be different and when you responded with "No" I thought you might've been in disagreement. This one's my fault since I misread your response in association to my statement so... My bad.

ji-high

Some people give video game writers way too much credit. The characters of DMC/DmC work kinda well in their respective settings and that's it. Really nothing to write home about in both cases.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Besides Vergil was never a problem in the previous games. It was Dante that needed a lot more substance.
^First practical truth I found over the course of two pages' worth of arguing.

Vergil had more substance in one game than Dante ever had throughout the entire series after the first game. He had all the trappings of villain, and though I feel his potential was caged within the boundaries of DMC3's lackluster plot, I wanted to see more of him after the game.

I can't say the same for Dante. I was literally on the verge of throwing a party when Capcom announced that they were shifting protagonists for DMC4.
Some people give video game writers way too much credit. The characters of DMC/DmC work kinda well in their respective settings and that's it. Really nothing to write home about in both cases.
This is also completely true.

You can like DMC for being what it is, but I've heard people describe their experiences with the series' narrative as something that's "changed their lives." I've heard people claim that DMC's story is the centerpiece of emphasis for the series, the thing that makes it worth playing, as one of the pinnacles of dynamic characters and video game storytelling.

...to which I respond by clenching my teeth as hard as I can to fight back the urge to collapse laughing.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
You can like DMC for being what it is, but I've heard people describe their experiences with the series' narrative as something that's "changed their lives." I've heard people claim that DMC's story is the centerpiece of emphasis for the series, the thing that makes it worth playing, as one of the pinnacles of dynamic characters and video game storytelling.

...to which I respond by clenching my teeth as hard as I can to fight back the urge to collapse laughing.
Whoever said those things must be really out of touch and, how do I put this, unburdened by the complexities of life?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Well, he has some legit character moments in every game, even though in a pretty inconsistent curve: ok in DMC1, not so ok in DMC2, ok in DMC3 (I like how NT paid homage to some of DMC3 and 1 moments btw, I remember GregaMan saying that), not so ok in DMC4 (even though I still like him for the sheer fun factor... also he was not supposed to be explored that much anyway, since Nero was supposed ti take the lead), ok again in DmC.

And on a side not, even though I dislike him in DmC, certain moments genuinely made me laugh, I admit LOL

@Veloran a discussion without spite? Is that even possible? LOL I'm joking, of course it's possible... right guys?

Last edited:

Judge

In that case, it failed on multiple levels. It failed to make Vergil a credible threat (For a number of different reasons), and it failed to do anything new or innovative with the situation.

I definitely agree that they intended to push Nero in the narrative, but at the same time I seriously doubt that they were done with Dante's story. For one thing they hardly even had anything for him to really do in DMC4 due to time constraints, and for another I find it hard to take this ending as anything other than a teaser of more to come.

I can only guess that they intended more for Dante in the future, but had Nero prepped as the secondary protagonist in case it didn't really work out. Like a sort of fallback.

Also they removed his fedora in the Definitive Edition.

I understand a lot of people think that DMC4 was an incomplete game. Combat wise, I think its possible Capcom had planned more content with DMC4. Yet backtracking has always been common for the series.

Do I think Capcom intended to have more story content for DMC4? Personally no I think Capcom told the story they wanted to tell in that game and this is why.

DMC4 features about 2 hours of cutscenes, thats longer than DMC3 which is at 1.30 hours. Thats longer than DmC whish is also about 1.30 hours. Capcom had plenty of time to tell the story they wanted to tell with the 2 hours they had. Its unusual for a game like DMC4 to need 2 hours or longer to tell a deeper story. They had 2 hours of story content, they didn't use that to focus on Dante's story. Dante was more like a supporting character to Nero's story.

It seemed to me that Capcom told the story they wanted to tell with DMC4. While some fans might feel DMC4 feels incomplete due to time and budget constraits, I don't think Capcom cut time or budget on the story. I think they finished what they wanted to with story.

My understanding is that the ending of the game is meant to show that Dante was giving the reins of the series over to Nero when he gives Nero Yamato. Dante and his partners might have returned as supporting characters, but I think Nero was intended to feature as the new main character for DMC5.

Its possible Capcom have changed their original plans now and DMC4 SE will give us some clue of what their planning next.

Veloran

I understand a lot of people think that DMC4 was an incomplete game. Combat wise, I think its possible Capcom had planned more content with DMC4. Yet backtracking has always been common for the series.

Do I think Capcom intended to have more story content for DMC4? Personally no I think Capcom told the story they wanted to tell in that game and this is why.

DMC4 features about 2 hours of cutscenes, thats longer than DMC3 which is at 1.30 hours. Thats longer than DmC whish is also about 1.30 hours. Capcom had plenty of time to tell the story they wanted to tell with the 2 hours they had. Its unusual for a game like DMC4 to need 2 hours or longer to tell a deeper story. They had 2 hours of story content, they didn't use that to focus on Dante's story. Dante was more like a supporting character to Nero's story.

It seemed to me that Capcom told the story they wanted to tell with DMC4. While some fans might feel DMC4 feels incomplete due to time and budget constraits, I don't think Capcom cut time or budget on the story. I think they finished what they wanted to with story.

My understanding is that the ending of the game is meant to show that Dante was giving the reins of the series over to Nero when he gives Nero Yamato. Dante and his partners might have returned as supporting characters, but I think Nero was intended to feature as the new main character for DMC5.

Its possible Capcom have changed their original plans now and DMC4 SE will give us some clue of what their planning next.
I think they did what they could with DMC4 in the time they were given. While backtracking is one thing, repeating the entire game for it's second half is quite another. Frankly, the point at which it looks like they had to make the decision is almost palpable, with the forest level being the last one that seems completed. Afterwards Nero enters the Order's HQ and the last four of his bosses are fought almost back-to-back, and from there the infamous Dante trek begins.

Based on what information we have, it definitely seems like he was supposed to have his own campaign in DMC4. In the concept art his focus on cold-weather attire, his perfect DT (And Nero's full DT), as well as the random placement of his Devil Arms all point to there being many things in his half of the game that were heavily cut.

DMC4 features about 2 hours of cutscenes, thats longer than DMC3 which is at 1.30 hours. Thats longer than DmC whish is also about 1.30 hours.

DMC3 had roughly 1 hour 36 minutes of cutscenes, DMC4 had 1 hour 52 minutes, and DmC had 2 hours 34 minutes. They've been adding about half an hour since the third game.

Though, I think most of DMC4's are in the first half. From the start of Dante's segments there's only like 22 minutes of cutscenes until we get back to Nero, which is less than a fourth of the full runtime.

Judge

I think they did what they could with DMC4 in the time they were given. While backtracking is one thing, repeating the entire game for it's second half is quite another. Frankly, the point at which it looks like they had to make the decision is almost palpable, with the forest level being the last one that seems completed. Afterwards Nero enters the Order's HQ and the last four of his bosses are fought almost back-to-back, and from there the infamous Dante trek begins.

Based on what information we have, it definitely seems like he was supposed to have his own campaign in DMC4. In the concept art his focus on cold-weather attire, his perfect DT (And Nero's full DT), as well as the random placement of his Devil Arms all point to there being many things in his half of the game that were heavily cut.

DMC3 had roughly 1 hour 36 minutes of cutscenes, DMC4 had 1 hour 52 minutes, and DmC had 2 hours 34 minutes. They've been adding about half an hour since the third game.

Though, I think most of DMC4's are in the first half. From the start of Dante's segments there's only like 22 minutes of cutscenes until we get back to Nero, which is less than a fourth of the full runtime.

Really? I didn't know DmC had 2 hours and 34 mins? I thought it was 1 hour 30 mins.

Well it is heavily speculated DMC4 was supposed to have more content. There is some evidence to support that. I suppose we'll find out when DMC4 SE comes out again this Summer.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Really? I didn't know DmC had 2 hours and 34 mins? I thought it was 1 hour 30 mins.

Well it is heavily speculated DMC4 was supposed to have more content. There is some evidence to support that. I suppose we'll find out when DMC4 SE comes out again this Summer.

DMC 4's run time is longer.

Viper

Premium
That's an unfeasibly long sword. -_-

Man-at-Arms' Rebellion was shorter than that, wasn't it?
Man-at-Arms' Rebellion was a sword forged by humans to be used by a human in real life conditions. Of course there were certain differences.

Top Bottom