• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry 5: What should it have?

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I'm quoting from the Devil May Cry 3142 Graphic arts interview.
I posted you their interview while their were making the game. And from it it completely debunks whole "run out of ideas" stuff. Producer clearly said they wanted new gameplay directed on new fans and thats why they made Nero. So nothing like "we run out of ideas so we made nero"

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Producer clearly said they wanted new gameplay directed on new fans and that's why they made Nero. So nothing like "we run out of ideas so we made nero"

You could interpret that to be that they exhausted their ideas with Dante - and Nero and DmC could lead us to believe that they were created as a result of that.

It's kind of the same thing as being out of ideas after 2. At least, with Dante that is.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
You could interpret that to be that they exhausted their ideas with Dante - and Nero and DmC could lead us to believe that they were created as a result of that.

It's kind of the same thing as being out of ideas after 2. At least, with Dante that is.

That's pretty much how it reads. That is only for DMC4 though, no word on DmC.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
But c'mon man. You also have to take into account the PR talk tactics. Of course they weren't gonna say "We ran out of ideas" out loud and clear.
that works both ways. Lately they coming up with more and more explanations why DMC5 wasn't made and why they made DmC. "We didn't made DMC5 because we ran out of ideas". We didn't make it because we want CoD numbers. We didn't made it because western game mor popular. We didn't made it because Itsuno was busy We didn't made it because Inafune said so. etc etc etc. Basically they already made dozens of statements to explain why they made game nobody asked for, while alluding pure commercial decisions.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I think I'm not seeing things the same way as the rest of you.

getting burned out doesn't equate to me as running out of ideas. Getting burned out to me means that they are tired of working on the same franchise for almost 10 years, like been forced to watch the same show over and over again, it becomes tiring. That doesn't mean that they don't have any more ideas, simply that they are tired of doing the same game.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@berto: Then what direction do you think they should've taken Devil May Cry then? Because from what I'm aware, DmC wasn't just created because they got tired of the original series. There were a lot of various reasons it came to be.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@absolitude
I'm with @Vergilius, using the tone and style of the DMC4 ps3 teaser for DmC would have been cool. They still could do that for a live action movie because that outfit is slick.

on topic, I'm not against using elements from DmC because if they can improve upon it or provide inspiration it should be used and that should go for other DMC games/ spinoff material or just games in general.

Last edited:

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
@absolitude
I'm with @Vergilius, using the tone and style of the DMC4 ps3 teaser for DmC would have been cool. They still could do that for a live action movie because that outfit is slick.

on topic, I'm not against using elements from DmC because if they can improve upon it or provide inspiration it should be used and that should go for other DMC games/ spinoff material or just games in general.

the teaser's outfit is basically the same one dante used in 4 is it not? but with different kind of leather, i kinda get the feeling the outfit is slick too for that, and the hair do is creating this glam-rock feel to it making it looking more slick..

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Well, you all know me, and you know how long and how hard I've been screeching for it, so my first wish should come as a surprise to absolutely NO ONE, but regardless:

A good story. I don't care who Capcom has to fire, who they have to hire or replace, or what kind of obstacles or restraints they have to overcome: with such a large cast of characters, some of which have sprung into cult icons, there's no reason not to utilize the shrinking pool of marginally-good traits about each character, and implement them into a reasonable narrative that sways from the nonsenical anime cheese that every game has churned out, even the good ones. I only say this because I love the series so much:the action, the characters, the production value, and the series as a whole deserves better than it has.
I only regret that I have but one like to give to this post. Barring unliking and liking your post repeatedly, you mentioned "anime cheese" so I couldn't resist.
9db4c279e67ff954c60bfb3c473e80aa-d4xck5k.png

Yup. This is my contribution to the thread.

.... Just playin'. Lemme add $.04 (.02 from me and .02 from the bae <3) on what DMC5 should have in no particular order and with varying degrees of seriousness and not all at the same time

1. Kill Mundus. I don't care about the 'Mundus Vivendi' easter egg from DMC4, there's no way any self-respecting devil in the Underworld can observe that this one Demon King failed in his objective to take over the Human World twice in two thousand years, and was defeated by not only a traitor but his halfbreed son, and lost his subordinates through either death or defection, and then still follow him when he tries it a third time. Mundus wasn't the first King of Hell and he certainly can't be the last. Kill him off for good, have a new Demon King take the throne and make them a threat. Just because the particular devil's presence isn't personal to Dante doesn't make them less valuable to the plot.
  2. As an addendum to the above: do not repeat Berial. He did not look or act like he had anything to do with running the Underworld after Mundus's absence, he just acted like some other run-of-the-mill boss (who left his throne twice????) and got his ass kicked accordingly. Adding that detail to him in the artbook or whatever didn't affect the story in any way whatsoever because he got punked by a quarter-demon and a half-demon.
  3. More half demons or partbloods. Sparda couldn't possibly have been the only one to ever mate with a human, and Dante not being unique in that regard could help with some worldbuilding.
  4. For that matter, worldbuilding. We don't know anything about Dante's town or the places he goes to except "it's always empty when action happens" and "it's always empty when action happens". Populate the friggin' places, put people in there whose purpose isn't to just die and never show up again.
  5. Bring back Trish's character. I don't know what the hell they did to her in the anime and 4, but that is not the Trish that would organically develop from the woman at the end of DMC1. There's no reason why she should ever put civilians in danger for her own amusement (or for money), or pick a fight with a human hunter out of boredom, and someone who saved Dante's life twice should not be described afterward as "unusually kind" just because she warns him about some devil that wants to kill him, because WTF Capcom. Barring Brad from the anime, Trish is the only metric we have on how a devil born and raised in the Underworld could transition to human life and having a conscience, and we can use her to better grasp Sparda's character. If it turns out they pulled a Smallville and the real Trish is trapped somewhere while her 'Bizarro' copy took her place, that'd be good enough for me.
  6. Continue where DMC2 left off. Dante said "Let's go all the way to Hell", and the game should give us exactly that. All the circles. All of them. Bayonetta's already beating him by having had her fight through the Seventh Circle just to get Jeanne.
  7. A complete game, no DLC. P* did it with Bayonetta well enough; everything that would normally be expected as DLC and an extra $10+ per costume pack on top of the regular $60 was an unlockable instead. For a series that supposedly excels in gameplay and stylish action, gamers should want to play their way to achievements, not pay their way.
  8. FATALITIES. Bring that back from DMC1. If Dante's in critical condition against an enemy, that enemy should have a special "kill" attack/animation that teaches you not to suck so damn badly against it. Plus it'll put an end to those asinine 'Dante is immortal because he hasn't died yet hurr durr' arguments.
  9. Enemy Files. Not the single paragraph blurb things we got from DMC2 onward, I mean actual Files like in DMC1, where paragraphs are unlocked through experiencing certain attacks or using the right weapons or moves. In-universe it'd be as if Dante were doing some on-the-fly research on demons and adapting his style to win, which is as good a way as any of showing how awesome he's supposed to be.
  10. Good humans that don't die and aren't racist and actually factor into the plot.
  11. Dante being put in actual danger and someone having to rescue him. 3/4 games feature a woman being held hostage by the villain for the sake of drama, it's time to shake things up (and no, Nero doesn't count-- where Kyrie was the damsel for his route, he was the 'damsel' for Dante's route).
  12. Kill Sparda. Or rather, have him already dead. Because he is. Contrary to popular interpretation, "But, Sparda did come back..." in DMC2 refers to the story of Sparda stopping Argosax centuries before he met Eva and the twins were born. He came back, met Eva, had kids, and then died. He did not "disappear". He died. Let's keep it that way.
  13. Do not 'market this game to girls'. Capcom has no idea what girls want, and they marketed to a stereotype, a hypothetical monolith called 'girls' that apparently never played the prior DMC games at all and wanted a yaoi. No blood or gore? Seriously? For a game with an M rating and a warning note at the beginning? Sanctus shouldn't have had a face after catching a bullet point-blank and Dante should've been absolutely covered in that old man's matter. Stop copping out with having demons filled with sand or rhinoceros beetles.
  14. Vary the types of demons. DMC3 was populated with slight variations of "Swings a scythe" with the occasional anti-air demon (Dullahan) or whatever, where each Hell demon had one obvious, easy to avoid gimmick with only one worthwhile attack. DMC4 was slightly better but not by much, they just made the enemies more annoying (Blitz, I'm looking at you).
  15. No backtracking.
  16. No boss re-fights unless those bosses are in a different place and their fighting style has changed. If Dante's adapting to his enemies, so should they to him.
  17. In case of open world: Rocksteady's logo on it. They had Batman zip across a room 20 feet just to punch a guy in freeflow combat, Dante doing the same would actually make sense. Plus, exploration! Okay, lemme explain what this would look like, a little. A DMC game with Dante at Devil May Cry working alongside Lady and Trish, and occasionally Nero. The office is a central location, like @Erian1Mortal said. The main campaign is 90% Dante and very linear if you do nothing but the main quest, the other 10% is for the side quests that involve fake co-op/"Bring a Friend" missions. Traveling to other locations can be done via motorcycle, car/convertible, or just DTing and flying/leaping around. Dante can freeroam to find side missions by either arriving at the mission scene himself, or less personally, talking to Morrison and Enzo, or catching the conversations of random NPCs on the street; sometimes the NPCs react to him going by, but otherwise they talk to each other about the goings on in the town-- referencing past or current events, etc. If the player doesn't pay mind to the missions at that moment, they can be accessed from the DMC office (say Dante has a map where he marks those places). If they choose to do the missions right there, the co-op ones summon a menu from which the player can choose the Player 2 to accompany Dante, and there's a quick transition scene where the other character shows up (Dante calls them from a nearby phone booth, or by cell, or for Nero he DTs and Nero locks onto the energy signature-- pfft). For combat, switch through Styles with the D-Pad, switch through Devil Arms by pressing the right analog stick and rotating it, and in case of co-op, switch characters mid-battle with R1. Do Double-team takedowns. Have Scarecrow-type mission against 'Nightmare Delta'. RANDOM DT JUMPSCARES. Rope in point #7. Have other, smaller single-player campaigns unlockable where we play as the other non-Dante characters. That can be accessed from the main menu.
  18. it's more like 17b but whatever-- Bloody Palace as one of those findable side missions that can later be accessed from the menu. Plotwise it's a demon hosting a fight club or some shizz. You choose single player or two-player and the two-player mode can be true co-op (local, online, whichever one is more available). Pick from Dante, Lady, Trish, Nero, Vergil, Sparda (strictly non-canon appearance), Lucia, or Doppelganger. Pick the limit to the BP. 9999 Levels? Sure. Bosses only? Cool. Infinite? WHY NOT? No Items, Dante only, Final Destination? Knock yourself out. 9999 Levels and Bosses only can be a 1-on-1 or 2-on-1 affair with an obligatory Final Boss (whether that's Vergil or Sparda or even Eva, who knows), but in case of Infinite, bring back the DMC2 level craziness with it. If you're not dodging three different Vergils at once with Sparda wielding the Sparda plus every known character who's ever wielded that sword too, then it's not crazy enough.
  19. P*'s logo on it. Enough said.
  20. NT's logo on it. They actually did a good job with Limbo and whatnot.
  21. Literally any logo with Capcom's.
  22. For every game after DMC5: Save Game bonuses. Stop forcing the player to lose all their weapons from the previous game only to get a new one that works the same way as the old one (Oh look, Kick13 again... oh awesome, I throw the same fireball on Beowulf as I did with Ifrit except it's made out of LIIIIIIIIIIGHT! [/DMC1 Dante voice]).
  23. 'Innate abilities'. That means exactly what it sounds like. There are some moves that Dante should just know by this point. Stinger, Air Hike... actually, especially Air Hike. I still remember that DMC3 had the player buy the exact same move three separate times for three different weapons when the only difference was the color of the mandala when Dante jumped, and NT made that look straight-up shameful by having Dante have Air Hike since the beginning in DmC. I can't suspend my disbelief anymore and pretend that every new sword Dante gets can't let him do a basic friggin' stab. Give Dante all those repeated moves as 'Innate' ones and let us buy something new instead of artificially padding the Shop and his repertoire with stuff we've seen and done before. Also: 'Running faster' should not be something bought.
  24. An end to Gameplay and Cutscene Segregation, or at least some attempt at them not abusing it so much that 'Cutscene Power to the Max' or 'Cutscene Incompetence' are a thing. Like, if Dante or Vergil or Nero is gonna do a quadruple flip in the air and toss the Yamato into a Round Trip while Rainstorming enemies to death then I'd better conceivably get the Round Trip with the Yamato as an actual move. The other side of this would be a risk, but have the story depend on if a particular boss fight was won or lost and put up a matching cutscene instead of the "Heads I Win, Tails You Lose" scenarios like in DMC3 or 4 (you know the ones). At the very least if the story requires the character to lose, the preceding boss fight should be nigh-unbeatable to show it.
  25. If the eight characters I mentioned in point 18 isn't enough, get us personified DAs. I'm totally not saying this just to see the Arms from DMC1 *coughalastorcough* in a humanoid form, not at all~.

berto

I Saw the Devil
@berto: Then what direction do you think they should've taken Devil May Cry then? Because from what I'm aware, DmC wasn't just created because they got tired of the original series. There were a lot of various reasons it came to be.
Go back to it's survival horror roots. It looks like they will only ever make small alterations to the combat so that is pretty much always going to be the same so focus on the rest of the experience and none of that 'oh, but the girls won't like it.'

if you make a good game people will play it. It's already well known so it's not like it'll go under the radar. Don't go for mass appeal, that's what stagnates things, when you rather make it with what you think will sell and throw away everything that made it good in the first place.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@absolitude
I meant slick in a different way (slick means cool). This outfit is similar to the DMC4 outfit but its less extravagant and more sleek. It looks more modern so it might be more appealing in live action than Dante's usual getups. It could even work for DmC2.

Last edited:

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Adding to what @berto said, the series could do well regaining a genuine survival horror atmosphere. DMC1's Mallet Island had memorable moments thanks in part to the random information Dante would pick up by examining the environment (crops growing out of season, the constant [de]/[re]construction of parts of the castle-- Winchester Mystery House, anyone?) and it made the castle more unnerving. In contrast I can't remember anything like that going on in the later games, but maybe that's just because I didn't care enough to examine one or two things.

The only problem I can see is, well, Capcom is going for mass appeal and what gets the most copies out. And having an adequate survival horror game involves making the player (through the character) feel vulnerable, not like a one-man army laying waste to everything that can ever cross their path-- the latter is what Capcom's made Dante into by now. He's beaten the "most powerful devil ever"/"most serious enemy of all time" and takes everything like a joke. He's big and buff for no reason (no, really, why does he look like that?). If DMC5 were to go back to survival horror like DMC1 had, they'd have to retcon the buff look and overly cocky personality away as if it never happened, give him a leaner design and turn away from the anime memes.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Dante was one man army and had cocky personality from a get go. DMC1 only had horror vibes. It was never true survival horror. Otherwise they didn't retconned it from being RE.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
Dante was one man army and had cocky personality from a get go. DMC1 only had horror vibes. It was never true survival horror. Otherwise they didn't retconned it from being RE.

Except he was vulnerable from both a mental and physical point of view. None of the other titles have touched upon those together. 3 had the mental part but forgot the physical and 4 was going to have both but capcom punked out.

GabrielXx

To make things simple i want the story to be focused back on Dante, But as you might know Dante Is like superman cool to watch, but there is really no one that can hold a match to him. i want Dante to have a villain to really push him like Vergil Did & really become a huge Threat. i want everyone to Return & Each of the 20 levels should be made around this, where one level has a path that Best suits Each of the characters & there play styles yet sometimes there is a slight overlap.

lets say i Was Playing Dante & i was taking the rooftops & Nero is on street level, well while playing as Dante i can see Nero On the ground Fighting & as Nero i can see Dante stuff like that & maybe they yell down to one another as there moving though the level. one of the many things i loved about uncharted is where you would have moments where you & another character are just walking along having some down time then demons spawn & both of them are like talking & joking back & forth with one another so much more character interactions.

Trish & Lady Need to be Fleshed out more, mostly Trish needs to have her own little story arc where we can get a better idea of her & Dante's relationship as Partners & How lady & her get along. I want weapons from some of the older games to return & i want to see Dante in his DMC2 suit. i also really want lucia to return as well

But most Importantly i just want a good Devil may cry game with Dante at the center of it & for Each of the others to get there own branching story that is some how tied to Dante's. i Don't want them to go far to crazy just keep it simple & fun. right now i just want them to take what they have & refine it & make it as good as it can be

Top Bottom