• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry 5: What should it have?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
open world reduces diversity of places you can visit. Of course they can add something like Dark Souls world, but that will remove scores for missions.

Not necessarily. A game can be open world without renounce diversity.

Also, you can still have scores. Look at Arkham Origins (and Arkham Knight too if I recall correctly).

I think something like Darksiders would be cool.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Not necessarily. A game can be open world without renounce diversity.

Also, you can still have scores. Look at Arkham Origins (and Arkham Knight too if I recall correctly).

I think something like Darksiders would be cool.
Now I don't want to start argument, but Arkham Knigt is one giant sand box with zero diversity. Also Darksiders 2 also suffered from reduced diversity. And Darksiders 1 essentially splitted in levels in that. Also some levels offer storytelling through places (like Phantom chasing you in DMC1 etc.)

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Now I don't want to start argument, but Arkham Knigt is one giant sand box with zero diversity. Also Darksiders 2 also suffered from reduced diversity. And Darksiders 1 essentially splitted in levels in that.

Dude, no offense, really, don't take it the wrong way but seriously, sometimes your comments make me facepalm, cause it's like I say garlic and you understand onion, and it hurts my nerves a bit. What does Arkham Knight have to do with diversity in the context of this particular discussion? I only mentioned it to talk about the combat score system, to show you that you can have one even in an open world game.

Anyway, there are still open world games out there with good variations, Morrowind comes immediately to my mind for example. Stuff is not always black or white, man.
But, if you're not into the full fledged open world concept, how about keeping the mission structure, but making each stage bigger, with alternate routes and stuff like that. Would please those who complain about the lack of focus on exploration that DMC1 had.

Now, I don't really care that much, DMC's never been about exploration as much as combat for me, but I'm not against the idea.

Keep an open mind man, don't just ditch something immediately just because, give it some thought.

Also some levels offer storytelling through places (like Phantom chasing you in DMC1 etc.)

Now that is a more legitimate concern, but you can still do that in a more open game through scripts. They exist for this, you know.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
Don't let this get out of hand, alright?

Anyway, originally, DMC1 wasn't going to have a mission based set up. Since RE doesn't have levels or missions near the end of development they decided that it would be a good way to distinguish the two series' apart. However, a few of the things that RE4 inherited from DMC, like the fatalities and mission based structure, so that's not that true anymore.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
But, if you're not into the full fledged open world concept, how about keeping the mission structure, but making each stage bigger, with alternate routes and stuff like that. Would please those who complain about the lack of focus on exploration that DMC1 had.
Ah ok, I got wrong your AK quote. Like I said I can imagine it going Dark Souls road but maybe it would make some sense to start a level or score running for it when you reach new area. But when ou clear it you can return to it in real time and reexplore it. In the end of it you may refight bosses through their spirits stored in weapons.

Now that is a more legitimate concern, but you can still do that in a more open game through scripts. They exist for this, you know.
So far I just never saw successful diverse big open world game, since most of them more or less bent or repetition.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Anyway, there are still open world games out there with good variations, Morrowind comes immediately to my mind for example. Stuff is not always black or white, man.
Missions and secret missions could work like quests and side quests -- while the order of the sword, mundus' army, and Dante's business could work like guilds.

An offline DMC-Morrowind IP is a great idea... one that I've been recently obsessed with myself.

Edit: Or just create DMC5 with a western rpg world design. Either one would work.

---------------------

However, until a game like that comes along, I'll just have to make due with Kingdoms of Amalur. Certain people out there might complain that it's too casual, but hard mode is actually pretty serious, imo.

I don't mind that it was published by EA either. It was a necessary evil in order to get a game of that size out onto the market. It's just too bad that there won't be another game quite like it for a long time -- not counting the Darksiders II, re-release, of course.

Last edited:

Gray Knight

I personally love Darksiders 2 (never got to playing 1 sadly) but I'm not sure whether an open world system would work too well for DMC or DmC I guess it all depends on execution of it. How would one travel the land quickly per se? Darksiders gave you Ruin and Despair to ride but for DMC what would you use for transport?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I'm guessing it would be like Death's horse combat.

Vergil would have a segway while using the Yamato to steer.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Thanks guys :)

@Gray Knight: My signature is the different forms of Jennifer Tate. Jen was the female protagonist of a PS2 game called Primal, and she had several different demon forms - as you can see - alongside her human form; Jennifer is a half human, half demon, hybrid.

@Foxtrot94: Yes, I believe that the discussion was brought up not too long ago. You even took part in it yourself, if I'm not mistaken.

@Innsmouth: I definitely agree with you. Not that I reckon anyone would want them to fully remove all story structure. Anyhow, what might be a better idea could be doing something like only letting free-roam open up once you've completed the story campaign.

@Vergilius: How 'bout those awesome fights you could have on your motorbike. Dante going up against some infected tanks, and choppers.

Gray Knight

I'm guessing it would be like Death's horse combat.

Vergil would have a segway while using the Yamato to steer.
How would he summon it to himself? Would he like forcibly fight something like that demon from the Anime Episode "Highway Star" and get a devil arm motorcycle Hyrbrid or something?
I guess one could have some of that mobile combat for sake of some gameplay variety. That or just have it be summonable via magic or something.
@LordOfDarkness thanks for the response.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Would he like forcibly fight something like that demon from the Anime Episode "Highway Star" and get a devil arm motorcycle Hyrbrid or something?
Either that or summon it from the ground in outdoor areas like Death does with Despair.

Top Bottom