• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry 5: What should it have?

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
and i verymuch doubt capcom will bring back the horror roots to DMC, if any, they'll continue with how it was in 4, and that include characters portrayal..

from 1, 2, 3, dante have different personalities and persona, but in 3 and 4 they are the same person, so i think capcom has found the formula for dante, and with that formula i find it hard to see him in a horror mood..

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
DMC1 only had horror vibes. It was never true survival horror.

This. It's strange how some people act as if DMC1 was an actual survival horror instead of just having the atmosphere (which disappeared anyway once the rocky soundtrack kicked in).

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Except he was vulnerable from both a mental and physical point of view. None of the other titles have touched upon those together.
This.
THIS.
image.jpg
I remember when Dante actually had some weaknesses about him, and wasn't overpowered to the point of absurdity. I mean, yeah, he did have an absurd power level, but there were moments in the game where opponents clearly had the advantage over him---and his demonic superpowers couldn't help him. That's how Dante SHOULD be. There's nothing wrong with making a character powerful---but once that character is shown to have ABSOLUTELY NO RISK IN BATTLE WHATSOEVER, and no physical or mental boundaries, all tension in the character's actions and struggles are completely lost.

This is why I hate Dante's more recent incarnations---it's not enough that he's obnoxious to the point of absurdity, but he's also a limitless Gary Stu. It robs the story of so much potential and weight, it's almost disheartening to think about as a fan.

If there's ANYTHING I want Capcom to fix about Dante's character, it's this. I would actually take Dante's personality being the combined nightmare of Sonic the Hedgehog and Tidus from FFX as long as he was at least VULNERABLE.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Yeah that is something. DMC2, 4 and DmC Dante never broke a sweat in battle nor were in clear disadvantage (in DmC, having also an obnoxious kinda boasting attitude to boot). I mean yeah he was struggling against the Savior a bit, but I do think he was holding back to let Nero deal with the problem. He didn't even use DT, for example.

But considering he's basically invincible-like in DMC2, the only ways they can make him somewhat vulnerable again is to either declare DMC2 non canon, or make a game set before it. Again.

I'd tend to choose the former.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Except he was vulnerable from both a mental and physical point of view. None of the other titles have touched upon those together. 3 had the mental part but forgot the physical and 4 was going to have both but capcom punked out.
He was REEAAALLLY vulnerable in physical point especially being unmoved after giant sword impaled him to the ground and he pulled it out like nothing. Don't mix in real difficulty of the game and actual lore.
And even more in mental. So vulnerable that he went all "You ****ed me and for that, Mundus I kick your ass one on one into another dimension" which he proceeds to do.
People should replay game and actually check that Dante was over the top character since his first introduction surviving being stabbed and managing overcome even worst kind of situations. For all I know DMC3 Dante got his ass handled much more often and in worst manner than anything DMC1 Dante made in DMC1.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
As much as I appreciate the pleasantness of your conversations, could we please not stray too far from the main point of this topic? Thanks guys =)

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I was assuming that DMC5 would take place after 2.

That is probably the best direction to take it. I think that, despite all of the negative things said about 2, they should actually be big enough to acknowledge it and move on from where it left off...Y'know, as an oppose to just sweeping it under the rug.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
He was REEAAALLLY vulnerable in physical point especially being unmoved after giant sword impaled him to the ground and he pulled it out like nothing. Don't mix in real difficulty of the game and actual lore.
And even more in mental. So vulnerable that he went all "You ****ed me and for that, Mundus I kick your ass one on one into another dimension" which he proceeds to do.
People should replay game and actually check that Dante was over the top character since his first introduction surviving being stabbed and managing overcome even worst kind of situations. For all I know DMC3 Dante got his ass handled much more often and in worst manner than anything DMC1 Dante made in DMC1.
In the actual lore, though, the only reason Dante survived the impalement at all was because he was wearing his amulet, and the amulet had his mother's soul haunting it. He died as a child, Eva revived him. He (possibly) died right there during the Alastor acquisition scene, Eva revived him. He was going to die by laser beam, Trish channeled her inner Eva and saved him. Trish died, Eva revived her just as soon as Dante got the amulet on her corpse (so basically Eva saved Dante yet again). And right at the end, he was very aware that he could die in Mallet's explosion without Sparda's awesome power to bail him out and decided to go out fighting.
"The gate has been opened. Dante, you're not getting away. This is where you will die."
"I'm not going anywhere. Besides, there's no place to go, look around! This'll be your burial ground as well!"
DMC3 or 4 Dante wouldn't have had that moment, and Capcom completely removed Eva's involvement in later mortal situations by having Dante survive impalement normally and turned it into a running gag of the series.

So yeah, that's "actual lore" for you.
Anyway, yes, about DMC5. it's best that Capcom admits DMC2 happened and that Dante's trapped in Hell. That's the perfect set-up for Dante traversing all the circles like his namesake, and introducing a new non-Mundus overarching enemy. If they have to, they can probably milk some plot out of it by saying it's the devil that really killed Sparda, and Mundus was just the fall guy.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
So you pulled non existent Eva's ghost out of Sparda's amulet? Fanfiction is fine, but it has nothing to do with game lore. Dante was stabbed by Trish as well and was very well alive and talking like it was nothing. He never died by being impaled and only time he was critically injured was when Vergil almost killed him in DMC3. In DMC3 he was also defeated by Arkham albeit after his fight with Vergil. Nothing like this ever existed in DMC1 where he ended up being victorious despite all odds. So don't expect DMC5 have any critical "vulnerability" of Dante, since it never existed in any DMC game to begin with.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Fanfiction? That's Kamiya's word tossed in to Viewtiful Joe. Just because you didn't bother looking this up doesn't mean I pulled "non-existent Eva's ghost" out of "fanfiction".

Mundus: "She, too, will eventually turn against me. Yes... with the same power that brought her back from the brink of death."

Trish: "Ha! You make me laugh! You're afraid of the very tool that you created!"

Mundus: "No, you are mistaken. In that amulet resides the soul of a human. The one who gave birth to Sparda's son... The one who protected that son's life, who protected YOUR life. That detestable woman... Eva's soul! The real enemy was you, Eva! This amulet was used to resurrect the child Dante... I shall destroy it, and you with it!"

If you got a better explanation for why Dante hears Eva's voice right before Trish shows up in DMC1 (her ghost does exist) I'd love to hear it.

Dante was stabbed by Trish and shrugged it off because that was the Sealed Force Edge which has little out of common with a normal sword. He didn't "shrug off" the stab with Alastor nor impalement by Mundus's spears. Later games turn it into a joke. The only reason he defeated Mundus at all was through channeling his father's power, not his own. Any attempt to pick up another weapon during the fight with Mundus results in "I can't touch him with that!", so he would've been boned if he fought the guy with his own power.

"Critically injured when Vergil almost killed him", you mean that time Vergil stabbed him with Rebellion on purpose to awaken his DT, only knocked him out for 10 seconds and Dante took a nap afterward and came back with a DBZ-style Zenkai boost? That time? That's 'critical'?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
First of all...

For all I know DMC3 Dante got his ass handled much more often and in worst manner than anything DMC1 Dante made in DMC1.

giphy.gif

So don't expect DMC5 have any critical "vulnerability" of Dante, since it never existed in any DMC game to begin with.

Although there is a difference in how he got out of critical situations in DMC1 and 3 as opposed to 2 and 4.

In 1 and 3, he was indeed relatively vulnerable, and it was mostly out of luck or because he was needed alive by someone plotting in the background.
In 2 and 4, it was simply cause he's a beast who never breaks a sweat as he breezes through enemies, period.

And since he was that powerful in 2, just imagine what he might be after. They'd need some sort of plot device to depower him if they were to make a post-DMC2 game.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Dante wasn't resurrected because he never died in the first place xD And he also hears vergil voice as well so unless you insinuate in your fan fiction that his soul by some magical manner transported to Dante's amulet and was in childlike state at the same time, I'd say we talking memories from his childhood. And unless you can demonstrated how can you survive by being pinned to a wall by two-handed demon-slaying sword I just let it fall, since it doesnt need any farther proofs, that Dante's stamina was beyond any normal human level and he can regenerated most severe wounds without problems ever since DMC1.
And Vergil critically wounding Dante with Yamato and pinning him to floor was most severe wound he got in whole franchise.
In 2 and 4, it was simply cause he's a beast who never breaks a sweat as he breezes through enemies, period.
Most like reason why in DMC4 he never encountered any problems on the way is probably because he never was main hero of the story to begin with. Considering you repeat all bosses Nero fought it would be impossible to make boss who's tougher than Dante and who was defeated by newcomer AKA Nero. So enemies of DMC4 were most likely lower tier than enemies in DMC1

Gray Knight

Okay back on topic, a Spear weapon, a shield weapon and a pair of fans would be cool new weapons to add to the fray.

I'm not sure whether this should be a thing but how about a customizable moveset in some cases? Like in smash bros 4 they have those interchangeable moves for specific inputs with many of them being similar so possibly the option to choose an uppercut like Ifrit's versus an uppercut like Gilgamesh's. Making a new model for each weapon and basically remastering every previous weapon would be great piece of work to do for each weapon so these slight modifications would be very interesting.
Off topic: Hey what's that in your sig LordOfDarkness, reminds of Genasi from DnD.

Top Bottom