• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry 5: What should it have?

Gray Knight

Why not then just make it like the last game? You were able to switch between all your weapons at any given time.
Well cycling through all 3 made some people find it difficult to chain things up, some people just want to focus on two weapons instead of three. If you wanted to get from two weapons that were far from each other for instance if you wanted to go straight from a move with rebellion to Lucifer you'd double tap the trigger versus when you want to select a weapon of vergil's it's one button switch to the wanted weapon regardless of which one you have equipped.
Also that control scheme to make it so that if you had a large number of weapons to switch from one would have difficulty cycling fast enough to get the right timing for a combo. It would be like if you had only one button for style changes in 4 and had to cycle through an unchangable listing of the styles to get to the one you want to use. It would heavily break flow if you were to have too much to cycle through.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Well cycling through all 3 made some people find it difficult to chain things up, some people just want to focus on two weapons instead of three. If you wanted to get from two weapons that were far from each other for instance if you wanted to go straight from a move with rebellion to Lucifer you'd double tap the trigger versus when you want to select a weapon of vergil's it's one button switch to the wanted weapon regardless of which one you have equipped.
Also that control scheme to make it so that if you had a large number of weapons to switch from one would have difficulty cycling fast enough to get the right timing for a combo. It would be like if you had only one button for style changes in 4 and had to cycle through an unchangable listing of the styles to get to the one you want to use. It would heavily break flow if you were to have too much to cycle through.
If you had problems cycling through the weapons then that's your problem because once you got in to the habit of memorizing the line up, it was a breeze and fun to swap so many weapons on the fly whenever you wanted. People can knock it around all they want, but the mechanics in the latest game were still refined and smooth as silk. Bringing also a lot of signature mechanics to a more natural evolution that definitely shouldn't be forgotten when it comes to a hypothetical 5th installment.

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
If you had problems cycling through the weapons then that's your problem because once you got in to the habit of memorizing the line up, it was a breeze and fun to swap so many weapons on the fly whenever you wanted. People can knock it around all they want, but the mechanics in the latest game were still refined and smooth as silk. Bringing also a lot of signature mechanics to a more natural evolution that definitely shouldn't be forgotten when it comes to a hypothetical 5th installment.
i'm not saying to get rid of having more weapons to cycle thew

just to give the option of having less to those who would want it

me only having 2 devil arms would not effect your using 3 or more
like i said it would be optional

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Wesker in a game like Devil May Cry
YB3iVjp.gif

P-Please...don't tease me with my ultimate dream. I might actually start burning effigies and sacrificing human beings to see this happen.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
@Chancey289
Having to hold a trigger and then also press a DPdad button was not the smartest idea DmC had, just like the awkward forward-forward inputs for Stinger moves and having two buttons for dodging. Leave it out. The classic mechanics for weapon switching is fine.

It's not a matter of memorizing the order, you do that in the older games as well. It's just that DmC's weapon switching system needlessly takes away buttons that can be assigned to other things and at the same time, is more awkward than just pressing the trigger (or double pressing), instead of holding it and then press right, left, up or down.

All in all, considered the things mentioned in the first paragraph (awkward Stinger inputs, double dodge button, weapon switching), I don't think NT was exactly a genius when it comes to control schemes in a game like DMC, so I would hardly take something from the last game in that regard.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
@Chancey289
Having to hold a trigger and then also press a DPdad button was not the smartest idea DmC had, just like the awkward forward-forward inputs for Stinger moves and having two buttons for dodging. Leave it out. The classic mechanics for weapon switching is fine.

It's not a matter of memorizing the order, you do that in the older games as well. It's just that DmC's weapon switching system needlessly takes away buttons that can be assigned to other things and at the same time, is more awkward than just pressing the trigger (or double pressing), instead of holding it and then press right, left, up or down.

All in all, considered the things mentioned in the first paragraph (awkward Stinger inputs, double dodge button, weapon switching), I don't think NT was exactly a genius when it comes to control schemes in a game like DMC, so I would hardly take something from the last game in that regard.

i find this a funny fact, for casuals the mechanics on DmC is the best thing ever for a action h/s games, it's so easy to use and to get used to, and not having problems with it, i got the hang of it instantly.. but on the other hand it's awkward for fans of original DMC mechanics --which i find clunky and impractical.. i mean it's easier to hold shoulder buttons and tap using d-pads.. i didn't meant to disregard any, but isn't this weird? i think this is all preferences.. on another note i never able to do combo type of gameplay on both mechanics anyway --that's how casual i am..

absolitude

i don't know, i just find the weapon i want precisely using hold shoulder+tap dpads instead of just tapping the shoulder buttons, that's why i find this weird.. what do you guys think affects this? the variety of games we play?

absolitude

lol, but wait, i think i know why.. basing on the vanilla DmC, each weapons has it's function, so there's actually limitation on using them --color coded, so unconciously i know which to use, besides there are only two of each, after that one, it's that other one for sure.. and when we actually want to use all of them, they're usually less strong enemies, and we know which one is more effective, so less pressure..

as for the original mechanics, the weapons are usable for any --and same ratio of effectiveness i think?, and there's so much going on in the combat with how the enemies react, so the pressure is bigger, that probably explains why i loss sense which weapons i'm using..

yayyy, i solved human psyche!!!

EDIT : on topic i think i'd rather stick with DMC3 mechanics, limited weapons to choose per missions, that should give player like me to know which weapon i could muster more..

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
DMC5 shouldn't take much from DmC just because I prefer to let it mechanics stick to DmC2 and its own sequels. It should build on DMC4 combat and onward.
I also would prefer more ground based control like original games instead flipping through air. Air combat and platforming would be a waste if they made a cut in DMC5.
Overall I think DMC should expand in direction of Bloodborne/ Dark Souls with action oriented combat combined with exploration. Just pick Dragon's Dogma size reduce it to the town, make it more detailed with lot of secrets uncover. Add a story, many unique bosses and enemies. Make weapons to be real bosses you need to defeat in order to pick them. Once combat triggers unlike Souls it can be transformed to arena thanks to soul barriers like in all DMC games.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Ugh. To act like the originals did everything right and the latest game did nothing to improve upon them is just flat out wrong. Of course, the only thing stopping some of you from seeing that is just the immense distaste for the the last game. I've been playing since the very beginning, with confidence longer than some of you because most of you just define Devil May Cry with 3 and 4, the games you guys came in on. I love both incarnations. I see where both excel and faulter. DmC is not something to be swept under the rug acting like it never happened, because that's the franchise taking steps backwards instead of forward.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Of course, the only thing stopping some of you from seeing that is just the immense distaste for the the last game.

Stop assuming that the only reason why DmC gets criticized is the hate. I can understand if you mean that towards people who don't provide any backup to their criticism, but I and Gray Knight did. The criticism we moved against DmC's control scheme is legit and the arguments we provided, you can see they are independent from our tastes.

Me specifically, I complained that DmC's scheme wastes buttons and some choices like two buttons for dodging or double forward inputs are either just dumb (the former) or awkward (the latter). How is that related to how I like the previous games more? I was taking DmC on its own into account when I complained about those things.

When it comes to comparisons, to be fair, while I did find DmC's combat indeed fun on its own, I also found it, with my displeasure, a huge step backwards from its predecessor, as it had a lot less combo variety, it had limiting color coding mechanics (still does, in the DE, although you can hit any enemy with any weapon, it still is worthless as enemies don't get stunlocked), and it took away pretty much all of the advanced mechanics the previous 2 games had while dumbing down the ones it carried over.
So you can't really blame me if I want very little (not nothing at all though, mind you) of DmC's combat and controls in DMC5.

Tons of legit arguments have been made about it over the years, and you keeping repeating that it's all just about the hate is as close minded and blind as it gets. Stop it already, it's gotten old, you're beginning to sound like a broken record.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Really?

You guys need to seriously stop with all of this. I'm actually very tempted to just flat out lock this thread right now.

You should all know better. Leave the DMC-DmC comparisons out of this thread.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Stop assuming that the only reason why DmC gets criticized is the hate. I can understand if you mean that towards people who don't provide any backup to their criticism, but I and Gray Knight did. The criticism we moved against DmC's control scheme is legit and the arguments we provided, you can see they are independent from our tastes.

Me specifically, I complained that DmC's scheme wastes buttons and some choices like two buttons for dodging or double forward inputs are either just dumb (the former) or awkward (the latter). How is that related to how I like the previous games more? I was taking DmC on its own into account when I complained about those things.

When it comes to comparisons, to be fair, while I did find DmC's combat indeed fun on its own, I also found it, with my displeasure, a huge step backwards from its predecessor, as it had a lot less combo variety, it had limiting color coding mechanics (still does, in the DE, although you can hit any enemy with any weapon, it still is worthless as enemies don't get stunlocked), and it took away pretty much all of the advanced mechanics the previous 2 games had while dumbing down the ones it carried over.
So you can't really blame me if I want very little (not nothing at all though, mind you) of DmC's combat and controls in DMC5.

Tons of legit arguments have been made about it over the years, and you keeping repeating that it's all just about the hate is as close minded and blind as it gets. Stop it already, it's gotten old, you're beginning to sound like a broken record.
And quit assuming this stuff about me. No, it wasn't "legit criticism". And you're just acting like whatever I say has no merit. It was you saying your preferred taste of control schemes because your favorite is DMC 4. At least be honest about it. I also think the double dodge button was unnecessary, but the D-Pad was used to switch between ALL weapons. Something no other Devil May Cry has done. Which is what we were talking about in the first place. Having access to more than just a couple of Devil Arms at a time.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium

Yeah, sadly, really indeed.

It bothers me when someone just uses cheap assumptions to backup an opinion, as it marks some people with a label they don't deserve.

It's also bad for discussions themselves: what's the point of even having one, when even legitimate arguments get washed off by "you just hate the game"?

No, it wasn't "legit criticism".

Yes it was.

It was you saying your preferred taste of control schemes because your favorite is DMC 4.

No. I was saying my preferred taste for control scheme is DMC's cause DmC's wastes buttons and felt more awkward to me.

Also, my favorite DMC is not even DMC4.

Having access to more than just a couple of Devil Arms at a time.

What do you mean by that? In DmC too you use 2 devil arms at a time, a gun and a melee. What's different is just the way you switch between them, which was exactly my complaint, because previously I just had to tap the trigger, in DmC I have to hold it and press a direction, which I don't like.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Yeah, sadly, really indeed.

It bothers me when someone just uses cheap assumptions to backup an opinion, as it marks some people with a label they don't deserve.

It's also bad for discussions themselves: what's the point of even having one, when even legitimate arguments get washed off by "you just hate the game"?

Yes it was.

No. I was saying my preferred taste for control scheme is DMC's cause it makes more sense to me and DmC's wastes buttons and felt more awkward to me.

Also, my favorite DMC is not even DMC4.

What do you mean by that? In DmC too you use 2 devil arms at a time, a gun and a melee. What's different is just the way you switch between them, which was exactly my complaint, because previously I just had to tap the trigger, in DmC I have to hold it and press a direction, which I don't like.
Again, a lot of this "criticism" is just your personal problem with the game.

I can agree with the waste of potential when it comes to stuff like double dodge buttons, but also on the other hand timing them just right had three different kind of perks so it wasn't totally pointless.

You know, just to not go on with this any further, overall, at the end of the day, I can do both from DMC and DmC swiftly and easily. But I liked DmC's hybrid of everything in combat and the way it decided to weapon switch. I was personally never a fan of styles and found DmC's style to be quite smooth.

Plus, you could have fooled me with your favorite. My favorite is DMC. And you like ride DMC 4 all the time.

And on topic on what Devil May Cry 5 should have, how about a Devil Arm crafting system? Cuztomize our combos even more.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Again, a lot of this "criticism" is just your personal problem with the game.

Again, no. Stuff like input waste is not a subjective thing, just like the decreased combo variety or the oversimplified combat mechanics aren't.

What's subjective is how we like all that. You do, I don't.

Plus, you could have fooled me with your favorite. My favorite is DMC. And you like ride DMC 4 all the time.

What do you mean? I think I've never hidden the fact that my fav is DMC3, not 4.

Also, about the highlighted part... I'm not familiar with all English idioms, so... what's that supposed to mean? You're referring to the fact that you see me often booting up DMC4 on Steam? Cause actually, I play DMC3 more, you don't see that cause I don't have it on Steam, it's the old retail copy.

Last edited:

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
There is nothing wrong with DmC weapon system in my opinion but it only functions in DmC game because of whole demon/angel gimmick. It wont fit in DMC anyway since it doesnt have all angel/demon pulling, dashing etc. I personally sure that scrolling system can be optimally used with fast paced combo games (proved by games like NGS2) Im more worried if weapons will be fun to used and combo will be diverse.

absolitude

oh, i want more moves in DMC5, unlike LoS or LoS2 which some were never come to use --by me, i' m sure capcom'll do good and able to make them all used in combat..

is capcom gonna friggin read these?

Top Bottom