• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry 5: What should it have?

Erian1Mortal

Premium
For me it would be simple, mix DMC with Dark Souls 1 Atmosphere.
Have Dantes shop as a hub from where you start main missions, those missions would graually unlock parts of the world. And let us explore that world outside of missions to unlock blue orbs and stuff. Also make it so that there are secrets specific to other playable characters (if there are any).
If we got the classic weapons back (Sword, Gauntlets), then give me the ability to change their skin to different other weapons we already had in the series (like in DmC with the weapon skins). That way we could customize the look of Dante a bit better.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
If Dante has to be the lead again, I would like him to have something to fight for/go after/strive for so he can feel like the story is his own versus the anime or 2 where you could replace him easily with someone else. The only two episodes worth re-watching don't star him in the lead role after all:'(.
Yes. Yes.

FINALLY, someone else said it.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
For me it would be simple, mix DMC with Dark Souls 1 Atmosphere.
Have Dantes shop as a hub from where you start main missions, those missions would graually unlock parts of the world. And let us explore that world outside of missions to unlock blue orbs and stuff. Also make it so that there are secrets specific to other playable characters (if there are any).
This actually sounds amazing :'(

Ryu Yamato

Absolution
I think a really good game would maybe be after the end of DMC3, Vergil fighting through hell to see his inevitable demise. Something similar to Crisis core.
Of course, I want to see the good ol' DMC combat back, but I want some slight changes from DMC4's moveset, so that it keeps things interesting.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I think a really good game would maybe be after the end of DMC3, Vergil fighting through hell to see his inevitable demise. Something similar to Crisis core.
Of course, I want to see the good ol' DMC combat back, but I want some slight changes from DMC4's moveset, so that it keeps things interesting.

Actually, thinking on that, DMC 3: SE should've given us a separate story as Vergil - Set after the events of DMC 3 and just before 1. In fact, DMC 4: SE should've also given us a separate story with Vergil set after the events of DMC 1. Either way, we never got a separate campaign for Vergil in either Special Edition (Which sucks).

I also agree with @Erian1Mortal. Devil May Cry is Dante's shop. Demon hunting is his business. The shop should act as a hub where missions can be selected and extras. I also like the sound of unlocking more of the free-roaming environments to gather more items and explore.

Darkstar Darin

The Badass In Black
Actually, thinking on that, DMC 3: SE should've given us a separate story as Vergil - Set after the events of DMC 3 and just before 1. In fact, DMC 4: SE should've also given us a separate story with Vergil set after the events of DMC 1. Either way, we never got a separate campaign for Vergil in either Special Edition (Which sucks).
I was hoping for (at least) a story of Vergil in Fortuna with his own stages and then something along these lines. I guess Capcom just got lazy.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I wouldn't mind a story in the games that built on the story/characters in the spin-off materials such as the novels etc rather than tossing them aside.

I get the value of a self-contained story and I'm a fan of those but I dont think its a bad thing to reference past events or bring back old characters etc.

The first light novel had Dante as a hotshot mercenary before DMC1, the second brought in a device that allowed you to traverse alternate timelines/dimensions (instant crossover fodder), the anime gave us a demon that fell in love with a human (their kids could be the new lead), the manga had Alice the girl who almost became a demon so checking on her as an adult could be interesting.

So it could be interesting to check up on any of these.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I was hoping for (at least) a story of Vergil in Fortuna with his own stages and then something along these lines. I guess Capcom just got lazy.

Why does everybody just assume that? It was already stated in interviews that DMC4SE was a project with very limited budget and not a lot of time to put it to use. Therefore they had to go and implement the content they found the most worth it in the long run with those resources. Therefore they most likely thought that having three new characters each with his own mechanics and advanced techniques to master grants more replay value than just one - Vergil - playable in a short campaign.

If anything, they should be to blame for not bothering giving clear answers in Vergil's cutscenes, which are almost completely meaningless. They should have focused on that instead of shooting a fighting scene and yet another vague hint at Vergil being Nero's father.

Also, I don't know how many of you are into this kinda stuff, but modeling, texturing and animating three characters ain't really a joke.

So, all that considered, the word "lazy" is not really the one to use in this instance. Which unfortunately doesn't make the lack of a campaign any less disappointing. Just saying that I don't really think it was out of laziness.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
If anything, they should be to blame for not bothering giving clear answers in Vergil's cutscenes, which are almost completely meaningless. They should have focused on that instead of shooting a fighting scene and yet another vague hint at Vergil being Nero's father.
I can agree more with you on this, even more knowing a lot of things would be answered in DMC4 vanilla version, but it was cut out for the sake of some fanservice or replace by some nonsensical stuff or the fact that most of us had expected more than 8 years to get an answer, but instead we got a non answer.

Frazz

General gamer
The series needs another memorable location to centre the action. Fortuna was too varied and not focused but Mallet Island was varied enough but had focus and (mostly) clear logic behind it's layout. The story should be very simple as well as DMC4's story was too complicated for Capcom to pull off properly. The story should just be Dante being given a mission by a character to check out an abandoned and haunted place and while there he discovers a powerful demon that wants to emerge from the demon world. Although I'm not sure if it'd work perhaps having it be an open world could work in this setting as you explore the haunted place at your own leisure and discover bits of information as you go so every player finds out information at different rates. For example those who go into a building may come across info about the main antagonist whilst those who start exploring outside learn about the location itself. We just need a good location with atmosphere and a simple story as DMC doesn't need to be as sprawling as 4 which lacked focus.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Why does everybody just assume that? It was already stated in interviews that DMC4SE was a project with very limited budget and not a lot of time to put it to use. Therefore they had to go and implement the content they found the most worth it in the long run with those resources. Therefore they most likely thought that having three new characters each with his own mechanics and advanced techniques to master grants more replay value than just one - Vergil - playable in a short campaign.

Also, I don't know how many of you are into this kinda stuff, but modeling, texturing and animating three characters ain't really a joke.

So, all that considered, the word "lazy" is not really the one to use in this instance. Which unfortunately doesn't make the lack of a campaign any less disappointing. Just saying that I don't really think it was out of laziness.
DMC 4 is still lazy in general. People need to stop making up these excuses about the game being "unfinished" because there is nothing out there I've seen that states they ran in to any development issues that somehow forced them to just copy and paste half the game in reverse order.

DMC 4 is not the first game to do that either, but it's a development technique that time will never sweeten.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
You're right about that.
But to be fair, they tweaked Dantes animations for some moves of Lady and Trish. And these characters were already in the game, so no modelling needed. Which was the reason why we got them anyway, they weren't in the original plan for the SE.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
Funny you say that, my fanfic character started out as a ninja. I'm still tweaking him so he isn't just DMC3 Vergil minus Force Edge.
Now I'm curious, how would ninjas fit into DMC?

i say some elite villain like the drekavacs from DmC maybe one of mundus' or a whole new villain.. doesn't have to be ninja ninja, maybe something with ninja attitude

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Funny you say that, my fanfic character started out as a ninja. I'm still tweaking him so he isn't just DMC3 Vergil minus Force Edge.
Now I'm curious, how would ninjas fit into DMC?
Demon hunters who use stealth based tactics to overcome threats and they operate like mercenaries to raise funds to keep themselves afloat.

DanteSparda08

The mind is stronger than any muscle in your body.
Everything Vash TSB said it should have had in 4...
  • Vergil...being brought back with his own story AND having his own levels, new refined movesets, Devil arms and a few extras...cough (NEW Devil Trigger)
  • Dante...venturing in Hell and having to fight his way out of it, new movesets, new arsenal of funs and devil arms, NEW Devil Trigger.
  • Nero...Style switching and new Devil Bringer Techniques, Physical Devil Trigger, new movesets, New Guns and arsenal of Devil Arms, and New Enchanted Devil Sword...not that cliche Red Queen. Meeting Vergil and getting some backstory about his origins and clearing this whole mess.
  • Mary and Trish with some levels here and there.
  • Lucia if they want her to come back.
  • Training simulator to practice your moves.
Mundus coming back to exact his revenge and attracting Dante to come to Hell and having to fight his way out of it. In doing so he finds out from some of the rebellious Demons who've turned against Mundus that tell Dante his Father's still alive.

• 20 Missions
  • 14 Secret Missions
  • Proud Souls
  • Red Orbs, Blue Orbs, Green Stars, Holy Water, Purple Orbs, Black Orbs, White Orbs.
  • Multiple Costumes 5 per main Character+Super Costumes/Corrupt Costumes...3 per minor character
  • New Devil Arms
  • New Demon apperences and look...some Human looking making a reference to DmC and it's politics
  • Rage Meter for Vergil/Dante/Nero
  • Slow Motion gameplay
  • Co-Op online gameplay
If I think of anymore I'll add them later but this is what I can think of right now.

Top Bottom