• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

could they have handled things better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
technically it did start everything again.

Yes and no. But not in the same sense as I think you mean. It doesn't disregard DMC as a whole, thus it's not a continuity of the story where all of DMC's purpose is eradicated. It's simply another version of DMC.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Yes and no. But not in the same sense as I think you mean. It doesn't disregard DMC as a whole, thus it's not a continuity of the story where all of DMC's purpose is eradicated. It's simply another version of DMC.
It pretty much disregards anything that was established in DMC and makes its own story. Like any reboot. Like TR, PoP, LoS and dozen of another reboots. Prince of persia tells same old story (Evil vizier kidnapps princess and its up to Prince to save her). DmC is reboot by all of its definitions. TR reboot also tells story of Lara only in different perspective. LoS still tells story of Belmonst vs. Dracula. It's all what reboots do. Take existing story and retell how they see fit.

Meg

Of course it could have had less negativity. I'm a longtime fan of this series as well and thinks it gets way more hatred than deserved. It's not a bad game and I like it because I love Devil May Cry. Simple as that. I don't understand why that's so hard to see concerning the real stubborn fanboy perspectives.

Still, all in all, I just don't care anymore.

My main point is that it's been nearly 2 years now and people need to just. stop. I don't care how much people hate it. Move on. It's just a video game. The ones that made this whole thing worse, is the fans. This thread's is proof.
I'm a little late responding to this, but come on, Chancey. You can "just stop" too. I have seen you complain about how people feel about DmC more times than I can count. There's no need to come into a thread just to tell people to stop talking about it. If you don't like a thread's topic, don't post in it.

Sorry, LoD, but it's a reboot. :tongue:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Tbh I dont see it inspiring the same amount of vitrol or in-depth discussion if it was just a new IP. People would either love it, hate it or move on with their lives. I can't really say if it would be better because too many variables exist. Story might be better as NT would have more freedom to but i cant say if gameplay might be better or worse.

If it was a spinoff it get the same hate Nero got but depending on how strong the story it might avoid the same trap the anime and 4 fell into so it might turn people around.

I agree with @Director Bison as i do think some of what happened in DmC's story could have happened in the classic series but certain characters/concepts might have to be pushed around. Like you would have to create a brand new character to fill Mundus's role as well as Vergil's and Limbo cant be around for thousands of years like it was in DmC because Sparda would have dealt with it a long time ago etc. But restrictions/limitations can breathe creativity.

I never thought Tameem was as much of a jerk as people claimed but the problem with NT as a whole was they never did a good job explaining their take as to how it respected DMC and improved upon it outside of Bland PR speak and vague buzzwords like "Modern" and "West".

Judge

To say that DmC was a radical departure from the series is incorrect. It says close to the established continuity and that actually was the problem.

Sparda and Eva are characters we don't really see in the game, the same with previous games, we don't really feel anything towards them. The conflict at the end of the game was the same as DMC3's conflict between Vergil and Dante. Mundus is still the demon king who has bad intentions towards the human realm. Dante's mission was basically defeat Mundus and his demons. Its the same concept as the previous games, its just that concept is excuited in a different way.

If I'm being honest they played it safe. Even at the end they turned Dante's hair white to satisfy the fans. The fans complaining about the hair didn't even play the game, so there was no point to turn his hair white at the end.

The best way for Capcom to handle things would have been to give Ninja Theory full creative control over the story rather than what they did do. That way the game would've been completely independent of previous games, rather than being toned down for the Japanese auidence.

Do I think things could've been handled better? Honestly no. Capcom made it clear they were behind this 100%, even Hideki Kamiya came out and explained the reality of the situation; that the series was never a continuious story to begin witth.

In the end certain fans didn't care about what Capcom had to say, what the reviewers had to say, what the expert players did with the vanillia version of the game on PC; even what Hideki Kamiya had to say was lost on them. So in that situation nothing can be done.

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
The best way for Capcom to handle things would have been to give Ninja Theory full creative control over the story rather than what they did do. That way the game would've been completely independent of previous games, rather than being toned down for the Japanese auidence.
i actually do agree with this
i feel the game would have been better off if Ninja Theory keep with what ever they had in mind at the beginning

i don't know how much they had written before the TGS trailer but obviously some if not all of that must have been scraped after the fan outrage
with lines during interviews like "Dante gave up smoking" you can tell something must have changed

i think the story with the more mentally unstable Dante would have be more interesting

i mean after the TGS trailer the damage was done might as well of kept going and see what happens :wink:

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
The issue with TGs 10 was it was a pretty big leap of faith so maybe angling it towards the fans might have beenn better. Like having an Older Classic Dante appear at the end, making it clear that this was his past. It leads into the bigger question of how TGS10 Dante becomes Classic Dante but thats for the game itself to answer.

An easier way of bringing in Nero would be to have him appear on the motorcycle Lucia hears and have him reveal himself to be Dante's kid looking for his dad's help.

In that vein, bringing back Dante's past as an awesome (yet down on his luck) mercenary named Tony Redgraves from the 1st light novel might have been a better way to introduce us to reboot Dante and still leave plenty of room to embellish and twist etc.

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
@Z218 that does sound pretty sweet for a Prequel

but me personally i don't think he's hair needed to be black
not that i think that black hair would ruin the character or anything like that

but i remember hearing in interviews that they wanted to tell the story about how/why Dante's hair was white
and i just think that's dumb
as far as i'm concerned Dante's hair is white because Sparda's hair was white
there doesn't need to be a story
even tho it isn't really a big plot point in DmC
(just wanted to get that off my chest)

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
Yes, they could've handled things better. But I could be wrong though as i see no difference between the "childish fans" and those "professionals" over at NT.

Childish fans = "Death threats" in the form of anti DmC songs and cartoons.
Professionals = Broke back mountain.

And, of course, the way over blown no-white-hair issue. Other complaints/concerns were disregarded as a whole because of they were stuck on "dont freak about the hair". Stuck ons like that are in the fanbase too who think it was all about the hair.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Z218 that does sound pretty sweet for a Prequel

but me personally i don't think he's hair needed to be black
not that i think that black hair would ruin the character or anything like that

but i remember hearing in interviews that they wanted to tell the story about how/why Dante's hair was white
and i just think that's dumb
as far as i'm concerned Dante's hair is white because Sparda's hair was white
there doesn't need to be a story
even tho it isn't really a big plot point in DmC
(just wanted to get that off my chest)
I would just said that his white hair was a sign of his halfbreed status and that halfbreeds have anime hair (just to lampshade DMC's roots).

Either way it happened in the past, and the only thing we can do is hope they learn from it.

Nt seems to have given how the pr for Hellblade is but whether or not Capcom has is anyone's guess

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
My biggest problem with DmC is the look of the game. Its ugly. The areas are dark and gooy looking. To much red and light blue. Old DMC was dark but things were recognizable. In this installment I'm never sure if I'm following a secret path or a black hole of nothing.
The girls in this game are hideous. What is going on with any girl character besides Kat? Tell me! :eek:

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Nt seems to have given how the pr for Hellblade is but whether or not Capcom has is anyone's guess
Not really. Last time I stumbled upon Tameem claiming no other film or game handled mental decease right unlike they are :/ I consider it insulting towards films like Fight Club and games like Spec Ops.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
The girls in this game are hideous. What is going on with any girl character besides Kat? Tell me! :eek:

I partly blame Unreal Engine for this. It's fairly known to have problems with handling people faces.

Oh, btw, that's something that could have been handled better: the engine's use. Some people say that's inherently UE's fault for the game's bad texture pop in and above all, the original inability to reach 60 FPS, cause "it's not an engine suited for fast paced games". But I partly disagree with it. Sure, UE doesn't have its strength in textures, so you can blame it for the pop in, but the phrase in quotations, I don't think it's right. Unreal Tournament 3 is a very fast paced game, and when in combat, arguably even faster than any Devil May Cry game (and also has to deal with more data to process), yet it's smoother than DmC.

Some people say it's because of the "dynamic nature of Limbo", but no, Limbo's shaping walls and floors aren't real time, they're scripted events.

So, what could have they done? Well, either accepting to use NT Framework and taking the time to learn it (even though apparently they had no time to learn a new engine) or taking the time to perfect their use of UE.

But no, instead we had to listen to Itsuno's BS "It's gonna be 30 FPS, but it's gonna feel like 60"...

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
But no, instead we had to listen to Itsuno's BS "It's gonna be 30 FPS, but it's gonna feel like 60"...
What does 60FPS even look like again? I never got the whole argument.

My biggest problem with DmC is the look of the game. Its ugly. The areas are dark and gooy looking. To much red and light blue. Old DMC was dark but things were recognizable. In this installment I'm never sure if I'm following a secret path or a black hole of nothing.

That's sort of the point. The world isn't suppose to be clean and spotless. It's a demon ruled world that mirrors the real world. Of course it wasn't going to be without its twisted looking atmosphere.
In DMC4, I could barely navigate through Fortuna castle, and in DMC3, the only way I could get to where I needed to was looking at a walkthrough. DmC isn't that difficult. You mostly follow the path it takes you down.
Lilith was never suppose to be attractive. She's the product of plastic surgery. The Angels (club) were attractive. Of course there's Kat, the demon witch if you're into that kind of thing, and Eva. To be fair there wasn't much handsome males either. There's Vergil sure, and Dante...well it depends on the girl who finds that kind of look attractive.

Last edited:

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
I partly blame Unreal Engine for this. It's fairly known to have problems with handling people faces.

Oh, btw, that's something that could have been handled better: the engine's use. Some people say that's inherently UE's fault for the game's bad texture pop in and above all, the original inability to reach 60 FPS, cause "it's not an engine suited for fast paced games". But I partly disagree with it. Sure, UE doesn't have its strength in textures, so you can blame it for the pop in, but the phrase in quotations, I don't think it's right. Unreal Tournament 3 is a very fast paced game, and when in combat, arguably even faster than any Devil May Cry game (and also has to deal with more data to process), yet it's smoother than DmC.

Some people say it's because of the "dynamic nature of Limbo", but no, Limbo's shaping walls and floors aren't real time, they're scripted events.

So, what could have they done? Well, either accepting to use NT Framework and taking the time to learn it (even though apparently they had no time to learn a new engine) or taking the time to perfect their use of UE.

yaiba ninja gaiden z, the cell-shaded h/s, also using unreal engine 3..

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...y-planned-for-ps3-and-xbox-360-runs-at-30fps/

but texture pop-in is surely UE3's habit..

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
What does 60FPS even look like again? I never got the whole argument.

Try watching a YouTube video at 30 FPS, then watch another at 60. You'll see the difference, even if it's just a video that you watch passively.

When it comes to games, there is a pretty noticeable gap, even more so than a video, cause you don't just see it, you feel it when you're in control. Not surprising, since well... the framerate is doubled.

In fast games, it's especially important (racing, HnS, FPS...), cause the responsiveness of controls at 60 FPS increases thanks to the increase of fluidity caused by the rendering of double the amount of frames in the same time frame.

In short, 60 FPS is more fluid, more responsive, and more pleasant to the eye.

Obviously the higher the better, up to a certain point where we don't see a difference, and that point varies from person to person. I, for example, can see the difference between 60 and 90, but looks and feels all the same to me past 90.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Try watching a YouTube video at 30 FPS, then watch another at 60. You'll see the difference, even if it's just a video that you watch passively.

When it comes to games, there is a pretty noticeable gap, even more so than a video, cause you don't just see it, you feel it when you're in control. Not surprising, since well... the framerate is doubled.

In fast games, it's especially important (racing, HnS, FPS...), cause the responsiveness of controls at 60 FPS increases thanks to the increase of fluidity caused by the rendering of double the amount of frames in the same time frame.

Obviously the higher the better, up to a certain point where we don't see a difference, and that point varies from person to person. I, for example, can see the difference between 60 and 90, but looks and feels all the same to me past 90.
Exactly hence, one of the problems I had with DmC's original release (emphasis on original, because it was fixed in the Definitive Edition)
The choppy attack animations

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall

Ok, I had to click to a DmC: DE vid and NOW I see the difference.

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
yeah frame rate is really noticeable
i was playing GTA3 with an uncapped frame rate and it was really smooth
but if the game runs at too hi of a frame rate then the physics of the game start to glitch out
so i had to use the in game cap of 30 frames and it was very jarring and hard to get use to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom