• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

could they have handled things better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
it gets way more hatred than deserved. It's not a bad game
It really isn't. I hate when fans try to discredit the work actually put into it. And I hate it even more that people say there wasn't a lot of hard work and care put into the game. Like, what the F? You can say DMC1-4 has a lot of love and care put into it, but the same can't be said with DmC just because of some dislike for it. Its fans like that who really push any fun out of the series and the fanbase. It's one of the reasons I refuse to be acknowledged as a Devil May Cry fan anymore, because all I hear is "So where you one of the fanboys who whined over Dante's hair not being white anymore?"

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I don't really care what DmC's fans trying to say. I pretty much ignored all DmC news and stayed away from whole war around it for an year, not willing to get into it, since I wasn't interested in it. But since I follow general gaming news, I was more and more fed up with Tameem's douchy attitude. It's like every week he came up and either bragged how they are best studio in the world, with only them understanding storytelling, how they are know exactly what do with DMC franchise, how fans are sheep because they don't want to bow and kiss NT's feet for doing glorious job for Capcom or bashed original game, whining about digital boobs, how they are to japanese for his superior western taste etc, etc.
So after an year I just got into this mess, just because I couldn't stand anymore how NT was acting as bunch of arrogant jerks and Capcom's marketing people from EU division weren't much better. So blame fans all you want, if NT wasn't acting as bunch of spoiled children they didn't got amount of hate they got. But they did and they have mainly themselves to blame.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
There's guilt on both sides, with the difference that NT is a company, that's supposed to be composed of professionals. While childish fans are just childish fans.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Maybe but NT's attitude was far from perfect even before DmC, with first earning them boot from sony and subsequent cancelling of HS sequels and second shifting complete blame on namco for Enslaved's poor sales.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Taneem Antoniades has a long, long history of bragging about the games he has a hand in making, and exaggerating profusely about how they will "change the industry as a whole." He did the exact same thing with DmC, and wanked off constantly about how it was not only featuring a life-changing and Shakesperean story, but one that would "change the way stories are told in video games"...which pretty much set off everyone's bullsh!t-detectors, including mine. I happened to wonder if the other members of Ninja Theory are at all uneasy or embarrassed by the attitude he has around the press.

Now, Taneem bad-mouthing the Old Dante? That's just the man's opinion, and he's 100% entitled to it. As DONNiE said during his brief time on the forums, there were enough DMC-Fans on the NT Dev Team, and the addition of one more would change absolutely nothing about the core game. Hell, Tim Phillips has stated many times that he himself was a fan of the Old Dante in quite a few interviews.

I don't care what position Taneem holds on the game's development, or what his thoughts on the Old Dante are, because his job was never to recreate that same Dante. His job, and the rest of NT''s job, was to make the New Dante as different as possible at Capcom's constant demand...so fanboys can just shut up and get over themselves about how "hipster Taneem doesn't like Dante-senpai." Chances are, it would've changed absolutely nothing about the resulting game in question.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Tameem is entitled to his opinion but it would have been clever of him to shut up during the marketing campaign. Bad mouthing a loved character while the game already was getting backlash was not exactly a great idea, besides the unprofessionalism of how he conducted himself.

That's the point. Not because I feel offended by how he considers Dante. He's a fictional character. But because it was very stupid of him to say things that he knew would anger people (no way he didn't realize it) even more than they already were. And that is not something clever to do while promoting a game.

So, he either should have shut up altogether or should have expressed his opinion in a more mature way. I feel for Ninja Theory developers. Tameem must not make the company's life easy. Certainly not during DmC's development.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
I feel for Ninja Theory developers. Tameem must not make the company's life easy. Certainly not during DmC's development.

it's the other way around, the bashing on DmC won't only hurt tameem's pride, but also everyone working on it, including the developers.. if i were working under tameem, i would very proud or my senior that is tameem.. if i place myself on tameem's, and those things i've said towards fans bashing, i consider it protecting my team..

have there any words from his team saying how much of a prick tameem is and how his making it harder working on DmC the way LoS2 did?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
it's the other way around, the bashing on DmC won't only hurt tameem's pride, but also everyone working on it, including the developers.. if i were working under tameem, i would very proud or my senior that is tameem.. if i place myself on tameem's, and those things i've said towards fans bashing, i consider it protecting my team..

have there any words from his team saying how much of a prick tameem is and how his making it harder working on DmC the way LoS2 did?

I said he makes the company's life harder because thanks to his behavior, the company is not seen in a good light by gamers and that hurts the company as a whole, as people get more reluctant to buy their games and give them money. Good "protection" towards his team alright.

Therefore, if I worked under him, the last thing I'd feel is proud. Sorry, but no way I'm gonna be convinced Tameem's a good asset to have on board, especially when it comes to PR.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I thought the discussion was supposed to focus on how people would have reacted if DmC was a new IP. Not about Tameem and how they handled DmC. We've had that discussion multiple times before.

New IP or not, I still feel like there would've been a good deal of backlash. Probably not as much, no. But it still wouldn't of been a great deal less, I don't reckon.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
We have at least 2 another examples of reboots: LoS and TR. While both met some criticism, none of them reached amount DmC did. All 3 fanbases felt disgruntled but for some reason only one of three reached highest level and that was DmC. So this pretty much proves how poorly they handled marketing. As such it would be better to make spinoff instead "in yo face" reboot.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
We have at least 2 another examples of reboots: LoS and TR. While both met some criticism, none of them reached amount DmC did.
none of them reached amount DmC did.
none of them reached amount DmC did.
Um...what?
I don't mean to drag this off topic, but...have you talked to Castlevania fans? The majority of the fanbase absolutely loathes the Lords of Shadow series like Americans hate Al-Qaeda. You think DmC is universally-hated? You don't know what universally-hated means until you wave the Lords of Shadow series in front of the noses of people who just wanted the "next Metroidvania."

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Um...what?
I don't mean to drag this off topic, but...have you talked to Castlevania fans? The majority of the fanbase absolutely loathes the Lords of Shadow series like Americans hate Al-Qaeda. You think DmC is universally-hated? You don't know what universally-hated means until you wave the Lords of Shadow series in front of the noses of people who just wanted the "next Metroidvania."
As part of Castlevania fan base, I can confirm LoS didn't reached amount of hate of DmC and DmC is THE most hated reboot (not worst one, but hated) made in modern age. True Castlevania fanbase knows Castlevania games won't consist only of Metrodivanias, even though they made franchise popular.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I'm personally of the opinion that Tomb Raider's reboot would have worked better if it had been a separate IP.

But, let's NOT turn this into an argument concerning DmC. Besides, DmC wasn't even really a reboot.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I'm personally of the opinion that Tomb Raider's reboot would have worked better if it had been a separate IP.

But, let's NOT turn this into an argument concerning DmC. Besides, DmC wasn't even really a reboot.
Uh…how so? DmC listed everywhere as reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom