• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

C/D: No one should have the rights to make an DMC game..

Only Hideaki Itsuno or Hideki Kamiya should make DMC games.

• Confirm.

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Deny.

Votes: 29 87.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
You're right I can.

I believe DMC3 was based off Inuyasha because the stories are quite alike no matter how much you want to deny. A full fledged demon with three powerful swords falls in love with a human woman and she gives birth to half demon half human sons. One becomes a cocky red wearing white haired, giant sword wielding demon hunter, while the other becomes a white haired cooled, mysterious katana and broadsword (Force edge) carrying loner who wants to retrieve his father's power.

I may not be the smartest guy in the world, but that sounds similar to DMC3.
you just described the characters, not the story, and you also described them incorrectly. Also according to wikipedia, inuyasha's brother is not his twin, and is not half demon, but a full demon. Inuyasha's sole desire is to become a full demon, the polar opposite of dante (who believes his human side gives him strength, and is proud of it)

The similarities you found are basically in surface details only, with loose (or non-existent) ties to their plots. I say again: you can do better than this.

I've played, and Nero is pretty much a carny version of Dante right down to the white hair, but his gameplay is different from Dantes. dumb down in my opinion.
you're right. Nero was there so that new players wouldn't feel so alienated, dante was there so players would have something to work on once they got the hang of the basics. That's an oversimplified explanation, but it's the basic idea

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
you just described the characters, not the story, and you also described them incorrectly. Also according to wikipedia, inuyasha's brother is not his twin, and is not half demon, but a full demon. Inuyasha's sole desire is to become a full demon, the polar opposite of dante (who believes his human side gives him strength, and is proud of it)

The similarities you found are basically in surface details only, with loose (or non-existent) ties to their plots. I say again: you can do better than this.
Say what you want, but I still believe DMC had inspiration from Inuyasha regardless of small differences. Also, I never said they were twins.

Kam

Say what you want, but I still believe DMC had inspiration from Inuyasha regardless of small differences. Also, I never said they were twins.
yes, you could argue that certain visual asthetics were inspired from inuyasha. That's the extent you could argue, because everything else falls apart after that. The plot, personalities, motivations, all of it unravels. The only similarities you're left with are "demonic heritage, wears red, has an asshole brother, has a big sword, white hair"

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
yes, you could argue that certain visual asthetics were inspired from inuyasha. That's the extent you could argue, because everything else falls apart after that. The plot, personalities, motivations, all of it unravels. The only similarities you're left with are "demonic heritage, wears red, has an asshole brother, has a big sword, white hair"
-demonic brothers
-one is a brash and punk like, the other is rather regal
-they have special swords forged from their father
-one thinks he is superior because of his demonic heritage and embraces it more so than the other, the other is willing to protect humans
-the color schemes of the characters are even similar
-they pretty much hate each other because of their different perspectives

Yea, that's the feud between Inuyasha and Sesshomaru right there. I'm not even really a fan of Inuyasha but there's no denying how much it recycled from that series. Don't even try saying any different. You can't.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
yes, you could argue that certain visual asthetics were inspired from inuyasha. That's the extent you could argue, because everything else falls apart after that.

The plot,
Hunting demons, a human companion of a school girl like style (DMC3 Lady), Fighting his brother from doing evil, being indifferent about his father. There's that.
personalities,

Vergil and Sesshomaru are way too much alike in their goals for power.

motivations,

Vergil=power
Sesshomaru=power

all of it unravels. The only similarities you're left with are "demonic heritage, wears red, has an asshole brother, has a big sword, white hair"

and, I repeat;
"Father of full demon decent having three powerful swords who married a human woman to bare two sons with his father's great demonic power, The oldest wanting their father's power, and a sword that can open alternate dimensions.

Kam

I've played every game in the series. And no matter how you try and dice it, Nero is not that drastically different from Dante at the end of the day.
you can claim to have played all the games as much as you want, but the way you talk pins you as a "one button at a time, never style switch" player at best. Let's do a quick rundown
  • Dante's DT is instant, and can be used for distortion techniques. Nero's has an animation and cannot distort, but does have invincibility frames
  • Royalguard is the king of all styles, and can be pulled out to instantly counter anything, even the savior's giant laser. Nero can table hop.
  • Nero has the exceed system, dante has weapon and style switching.
  • Dante can perform just releases and just charges, and can combine either of these with distortion for frankly insane damage. Nero do none of this
  • Dante can cancel out of just about any attack with royalguard (you can even punch a blitz, and then cancel the reflect damage you would take with a gold parry) while nero's cancels involve his DT, or a shuffle
  • Nero's gun is a launcher when charged. None of dante's guns, despite their huge variety, launch vertically.
  • Dante is infinitely faster than nero. Trickster alone grants much more mobility than table hopper, but you can still add style canceling, royalguard canceling, and devil trigger (3 things not available to boost nero's mobility) to make him even faster
  • All of nero's attacks are widely area based, espcially when you max-act an ability. Dante has difficulty with more than one target at a time
  • Nero can grapple enemies, dante can't
The only way these two play similarly is if you sit in swordmaster and only ever use rebellion.

Kam

-demonic brothers
-one is a brash and punk like, the other is rather regal
-they have special swords forged from their father
-one thinks he is superior because of his demonic heritage and embraces it more so than the other, the other is willing to protect humans
-the color schemes of the characters are even similar
-they pretty much hate each other because of their different perspectives

Yea, that's the feud between Inuyasha and Sesshomaru right there. I'm not even really a fan of Inuyasha but there's no denying how much it recycled from that series. Don't even try saying any different. You can't.
Vergil thinks he's inferior because of his heritage, and absolutely despises and rejects it. In fact the entire plot of DMC3 is vergil trying to gain force edge so his demonic side can completely overpower his human side. You keep claiming you've played the games, how did you not remember that?

The only things you listed that are remotely true are the visual asthetics. Big sword, color scheme, brothers. Although according to this wiki, inuyasha and sesshoumaru have different mothers, and if you don't understand why that's significant in terms of DMC's plot, you really shouldn't be trying to continue this conversation.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Don't listen to him. He just wants you guys to back out so that he can declare victory only because you happened to stop posting.

Kam

Guys, I think we may have found the elitist version of Alchemist. Uh-oh.
Don't listen to him. He just wants you guys to back out so that he can declare victory because you stopped posting.
KV592x8.jpg

Kam

That was actually a surprisingly neutral response (the revving, I mean).
I might get passionate in my responses (you're right, I was a huge DMC fanboy back in the day, and know a lot about the games) don't peg me as the same kind of blind ragefuel hater that alchemist was. I like both games, but for very different reasons, and while both have their flaws, I still believe that the ideal DMC game could be born from the proper merging of the two.

If I got carried away and started to sound too angry and unreasonable, I'm sorry for that

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
If I got carried away and started to sound too angry and unreasonable, I'm sorry for that
Not a problem.

**looks to the side and raises voice**

I just wish everyone were as open-minded as you are. :ermm:

I don't care about either one, especially since it's only a matter of time before another action IP (or maybe even Devil May Cry itself) combines the best of both worlds... and then some.

Reactions: Kam

Kam

I just wish everyone were as open-minded as you are. :ermm:
or maybe it was just the shock of being compared to alchemist for a minute :p

I hated that guy a lot, it was really hard to argue for DmC's redeeming qualities when anyone who hated the game could just screencap any one of his posts and go "this is who you are agreeing with" and after I found his youtube I admit I enjoyed trolling the **** out of him for quite a while, though it was a lot easier to **** him off when I pretended to just flat out hate DmC. Somewhere along the line I called him out after he was really obvious about making a second youtube account to support himself in an argument, and he had a meltdown. Fun times...

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Somewhere along the line I called him out after he was really obvious about making a second youtube account to support himself in an argument, and he had a meltdown. Fun times...
Are you serious?? Hahahaha!!!

Aw man, but I've been in a similar situation (I might tell you over PM one day) but I never "supported myself in an argument". Holy crap. Now I just feel bad for the poor guy.

Anyway, yes, DmC had some potential, but now it's time to move on to the next action game that has lock-on and 60 fps. It's just nature taking its course.

Sorry about comparing you to Alchemist btw. I didn't know you hated him that much. O_O

Kam

Are you serious?? Hahahaha!!!

Aw man, but I've been in a similar situation (I might tell you over PM one day) but I never "supported myself in an argument". Holy crap. Now I just feel bad for the poor guy.

Anyway, yes, DmC had some potential, but now it's time to move on to the next action game that has lock-on and 60 fps. It's just nature taking its course.

Sorry about comparing you to Alchemist btw. I didn't know you hated him that much. O_O

yeah, soft lock was not as awesome as advertised, however low level combat was a huge step up. One of the big problems with DMC (particularly 3 and 4) is that if you weren't a pro, your combat looked like ****, and it felt boring and repetitive. Perfecting your combat was this nearly unattainably hard thing to work toward, and some people really liked that, but it was understandably a niche audience. Ideally they should have kept DmC's low end combat, which feels good and looks great even if you don't dedicate 100 hours a week to learning the game, but also kept that astronomically high skill ceiling in there.

I hate the new story and new characters though :(

PS - I tried to do a search to find a screenshot of alchemist losing his ****, and to my surprise alchemist had a thread going where he was ranting about youtube comments and my comment came up in a screenshot on the second page
http://devilmaycry.org/community/threads/bwahaha-look-i-dont-even-wow.15605/

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Ideally they should have kept DmC's low end combat, which feels good and looks great even if you don't dedicate 100 hours a week to learning the game, but also kept that astronomically high skill ceiling in there.
That's a brilliant idea. It actually hovered around in the back of my mind when I was trying to figure out how they could have made the combat better, but it never fully surfaced within my consciousness until you brought it up.

Also, I remember that thread. I think he was kind of asking for a flame war if you ask me... but then again, it's not my place to judge.

And yeah, I remember when I played like crap as well. Still do, actually, I can play through DMD turbo, but I can't do it stylishly.

... Or at least not stylishly enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom