• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ask the Staff Anything

Dark Drakan

Admin
Its probably been asked but, how do you rename links?
So instead of showing the address 'www.veebeesexample.com' it shows VeeBee's Example.
(Like the links in Mr. Drakan's Signature)
Thank you.

EDIT~ I can't see the delete option either.

To make a usual link it would be [url]www.veebeesexample.com[/url] to name it you merely do the following [url=www.veebeesexample.com]VeeBee's Example[/url]

It will then look like this:

VeeBee's Example

Can change text to anything you want:

[url=www.veebeesexample.com]Drakans Lair of secret shiny evilness and stuff[/url]

Drakans Lair of secret shiny evilness and stuff

Chrysander

This was raised in another thread, and I'll share it here:

The new DmC has split fans of the franchise, and this forum is going to be dealing with a lot of arguments, presumably more and more as further details are revealed. I think it might be a good idea to have a section for negative feedback on the game. Primarily, this could help reduce arguments and abuse. However, it also makes moderation easier in this kind of situation. If someone is going out of their way to come into the positive section and tell people they shouldn't like the game, or if someone comes into the negative section and starts telling people they should like the game - then mods can see the culprits and take whatever measures are deemed necessary. If there are no clear sections, then you'll have negative and positive posters together, and a high percentage of threads will get hi-jacked and turned into a fundamental argument, covering the same ground over and over - and as mods, it is harder to point the finger and deal with individuals.

I don't know if it's a good idea or not, just a suggestion. I just think this situation has really irritated a lot of fans, even worse than the situation with DMC4, and it could be more pleasant for everybody to have that kind of division. It might be said "use a different forum if you don't like DmC" - but, there isn't a forum for like-minded Devil May Cry fans, who happen to not like the new DmC. There is a very large percentage of Devil May Cry fans who don't like DmC (so far), and I think unless there is a miracle, that isn't going to change, so you're left with a lot of users on this forum who are going to want to vent.

Dark Drakan

Admin
This was raised in another thread, and I'll share it here:

The new DmC has split fans of the franchise, and this forum is going to be dealing with a lot of arguments, presumably more and more as further details are revealed. I think it might be a good idea to have a section for negative feedback on the game. Primarily, this could help reduce arguments and abuse. However, it also makes moderation easier in this kind of situation. If someone is going out of their way to come into the positive section and tell people they shouldn't like the game, or if someone comes into the negative section and starts telling people they should like the game - then mods can see the culprits and take whatever measures are deemed necessary. If there are no clear sections, then you'll have negative and positive posters together, and a high percentage of threads will get hi-jacked and turned into a fundamental argument, covering the same ground over and over - and as mods, it is harder to point the finger and deal with individuals.

I don't know if it's a good idea or not, just a suggestion. I just think this situation has really irritated a lot of fans, even worse than the situation with DMC4, and it could be more pleasant for everybody to have that kind of division. It might be said "use a different forum if you don't like DmC" - but, there isn't a forum for like-minded Devil May Cry fans, who happen to not like the new DmC. There is a very large percentage of Devil May Cry fans who don't like DmC (so far), and I think unless there is a miracle, that isn't going to change, so you're left with a lot of users on this forum who are going to want to vent.

Having a 'negative' section would only encourage people to hate on the game and post overly critical comments without an opposing point of view and they would probably think that by posting their hate filled views in that section they would avoid punishment for likely being critical of people who do like the game. People can be negative about something while still maintaining an adult manner and using constructive criticism. Those that cant dont deserve to be part of a community that is open to all views so long as they are mature in the way they put their point across.

Chrysander said:
If there are no clear sections, then you'll have negative and positive posters together, and a high percentage of threads will get hi-jacked and turned into a fundamental argument, covering the same ground over and over - and as mods, it is harder to point the finger and deal with individuals.

Its about maturity and using constructive criticism instead of hating on something for the sake of it. People who cant conduct themselves in a mature fashion or those that consistently flame or add flame bait styled comments will be those targeted. Those that can debate with a mature manner without insulting anyone are those that will be better off. Can make a point without the need for derogatory comments or putting down anyone elses opinion, people are welcome to vent so long as its in a mature manner and not like a child who has had their favourite toy broken.

Chrysander

Thanks for the response - I agree that communities are better off without immature and rude people, hopefully they can be weeded within the current forum layout.

Beyond just dealing with abuse, having an alternative section could also potentially help to reduce the circular and repetitive discussions that take place too. Sometimes you just want to chat to someone and have an easy conversation, without someone who completely disagrees coming in and changing the whole direction, and turning it into a debate. For instance, if I was sat chatting to a friend at home, and we were agreeing and having a good time, it would be irritating for someone else to walk in and tell us we're both wrong.

I know that a forum is a public place, and that differing opinions are expected, but this is a very specific area, a site about a game franchise. People don't come here to argue, they come to hopefully meet like-minded people and talk about the game. Now the view is divided, it's not just a simple matter of everybody coming together and sharing; long-time fans of the franchise are not happy, so you won't just have friendly chats on the subject, you'll have people who think it sucks, and people who love it, all in the same place. It becomes hard to have those friendly chats when you have people reading what you've got to say, who disagree with absolutely everything you have to say, it goes against the reason for visiting a site like this, at least in my opinion. I come to these sorts of places to have a relaxing time, not to get into disagreements. But right now, I feel like anything I've got to say on the matter will instantly be challenged, and it gets tiring in that kind of environment.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Can see what your saying but if someone comes into a thread and derails it to rant about the game and it isnt on topic then under the rules we can tell them to post elsewhere or direct them to a thread where they can speak with people who agree. Rather than have a whole section full of repetitive negative threads their views on certain areas can be contained in one thread.

Chrysander

Rather than have a whole section full of repetitive negative threads their views on certain areas can be contained in one thread

If there's going to be a thread in which people can criticize the game without it being interrupted by people defending it - then I think that will be fine. Trouble is if negative comments in a positive thread are seen as off topic, yet positive posts in a negative thread are not. So long as it's consistent, and you can have a 100% negative thread, then at least there will be somewhere to go.

HikenNoAce

One King One Legend
Premium
By the way... Where are the ranks?

You know... Stylish, Smoking, Awesome etc etc etc... Son Of Sparda

Dark Drakan

Admin
By the way... Where are the ranks?

You know... Stylish, Smoking, Awesome etc etc etc... Son Of Sparda

Currently been disabled but Steves been working on ways of getting them back with our new forum software.

Ever played any Red Faction game?

The original 2 yeah, they were great. Havent played any since they changed the game totally from FPS to 3rd person shooter though.

Meg

I hate to be a killjoy, but I was wondering if sig rules still applied? Some sigs are really big and it gets tiring scrolling through them all. o_O

Dark Drakan

Admin
I hate to be a killjoy, but I was wondering if sig rules still applied? Some sigs are really big and it gets tiring scrolling through them all. :confused:

We used to have a system that resized them automatically but its no longer there. If we 'see' any huge ones we remove them or ask the member to resize them but we cant see them all and wait until they are reported if they are causing an issue.

I was wondering if there was any way to make it possible to edit conversation posts. Please and thank you! =D

The option is in the settings and staff can do it and maybe Gold Supporters (unsure with the issues we have been having with that).

Meg

We used to have a system that resized them automatically but its no longer there. If we 'see' any huge ones we remove them or ask the member to resize them but we cant see them all and wait until they are reported if they are causing an issue.
Ok thank you Mr. Drakan! ^^

Top Bottom