• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante (DmC) vs. Nero

Who would win in a battle?

• Dante

Votes: 62 59.6%
  • Nero

Votes: 42 40.4%

• Total voters

ZeroLove

Actually, Capcom asked NT to help them make a Western Reboot, then asked them to do it themselves with Capcom's help.

Alex Jones of Capcom said that.

If Capcom Japan and Itsuno-San wasn't happy with with DmC they wouldn't have released it. They're the creators of the game, they know more than you. So stop complaining and enjoy the game. Its not as bad as you think it is.

Ninja Theory never gave a middle finger to the fans. They gave a middle finger to the fans who wrote death metal songs and comics about them. And that, by me is perfectly fine.

Hehe, I am pretty sure you quoted the wrong person. ;P

EvilX-81

I always did hate that in characters. Alucard was an example. Since nothing could kill him, I couldn't really care for the guy.

That's an aspect that bugs me about classic Dante too. More or less at this point, seemingly nothing can kill him. DMC3 Dante cut Vergil completely THROUGH HIS TORSO, it was probably the biggest wound he's taken throughout the game, and the guy was fine later. Invincibility is not an interesting trait, which is why I liked DmC Vergil at least having to put up with the wound he got from Dante (note that it seemed to have destroyed his heart from where the DLC indicates the hole.)

IncarnatedDemon

^ Invincibility nor being wounded is necessarily a interesting trait.
One thing is certain DMC was barely about defining a universe and making rules and laws that explains it.

If you cant accept that then your basically telling a clown to stop being clownish.

And Dante nor Vergil was invincible. The story and character development had little priority in DMC.
However, we know for sure the two brothers have high speed regeneration because of their demonic blood.

Asking a clown to not be a clown is just
NO STOP THAT let the clown be a clown

EvilX-81

^ Invincibility nor being wounded is necessarily a interesting trait.

I would say most of the best characters are the ones who can be hurt, get hurt, and through sheer will despite those wounds, keeps trucking, not shrug off things as a minor inconvience. You have Rock Lee and Guy in your sig at one of the most pivotal moments in the first season, you know this, man.

And if a clown is being a clown, then it's job is to make me laugh. Do yer jerb, clown!

YamatoWielder

Protector of Mankind
This is what Ninja Theory said to Devil May Cry fans...
images

LAWL, I really love seeing people who whine, bitch, and even moan. Worse, taking things out of context.

Just wanna quote this for people who loves to bring death threats like you. Lemme quote what nightrunner_ks said:

Ninja Theory never gave a middle finger to the fans. They gave a middle finger to the fans who wrote death metal songs and comics about them. And that, by me is perfectly fine.

Please set your priorities for once.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
This is what Ninja Theory said to Devil May Cry fans...
images
Don't spread lies, I've heard enough as it is. Ninja Theory are big fans of the past games and aren't out on a mission to screw up the series just for the sake of ticking off the fans. So accept that and let it go.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Don't spread lies, I've heard enough as it is. Ninja Theory are big fans of the past games and aren't out on a mission to screw up the series just for the sake of ticking off the fans. So accept that and let it go.
Or at least realise it was not Ninja Theory that did this, well, more like they did it under the direction of Capcom. So if people are upset, stop balming NT. The early designs they made were very close to classic Dante, but Capcom turned them away and said they could make those designs themselves. So NT were asked to do their take on Dante instead. If you want to place blame, then put it on Capcom who asked for the redesign.
All the PR came after that when Capcom had found a Dante design they could work with....and everything else was shaped around that.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
I would say most of the best characters are the ones who can be hurt, get hurt, and through sheer will despite those wounds, keeps trucking, not shrug off things as a minor inconvience. You have Rock Lee and Guy in your sig at one of the most pivotal moments in the first season, you know this, man.

And if a clown is being a clown, then it's job is to make me laugh. Do yer jerb, clown!

Although i understand your point, Dante was an iconic character in the early generation of videogames. Devil May Cry was one great franchise back them, they've released even 3 games of the franchise in that generation and 1 and 3 being top-quality in its own merits and very well designed and executed. And he was nearly "invincible" as a character. I don't really think the best characters are made in this way, people loves Solid Snake just how much they loved Dante, and they are very different in that perspective.

And your entitled to that, but I prefer to laugh, cry, and actually feel like I'm going through the same issues with my video game character.

And i understand that, DragonMaster. But DMC right from the start was not aimed on this audience. I mean, i'm a great fan of the Metal Gear Solid franchise who gives the experience you described in a very imersive way, but still i played DMC for other reasons because it was clear to me that the strong points of the game are focused in other areas such as gameplay, enemy design, challenge and well-balanced modes.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
And i understand that, DragonMaster. But DMC right from the start was not aimed on this audience. I mean, i'm a great fan of the Metal Gear Solid franchise who gives the experience you described in a very imersive way, but still i played DMC for other reasons because it was clear to me that the strong points of the game are focused in other areas such as gameplay, enemy design, challenge and well-balanced modes.
I like the classic Dante for that reason. He's more for fun and messing around and laughing with. But DmC Dante was made to be empathised or at least be relatable in some way. Not that they didn't give classic Dante moments to have emotion and be relatable, but DmC Dante has been given more because he's been made to be the sort of character you go through a journey with and feel what he feels.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall

Well then both Dante's are used in different ways;

DMC Dante: For the fun, crazy, cooky adventures that you go on with him.

DmC Dante: For a journey to feel what he feels but still have fun.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Actually I find myself more related to the old Dante than the new one.

Well just like him I too deal with my own family issues (not having a dead family though) such as having my own expectations set by my family and having to deal with the pressure they set on me. Having a still on going feud with my own brother. As well as our own father issues but after DMC3 that is it.

Actually I'm a bit like DMC4 Dante (even before playing the game)...in terms of behavior. I may not be wearing cowboy chaps (nothing is in fact stopping me) or pulling of stunts but Ive have done stuff that was odd or unusual and people tend to think I'm funny..or odd...but usually funny. Hell one time I gave a friend, who is like 10 years older than me, a calender with a bunch of Chinese models in bikinis....very small bikinis as a goodbye gift for sh*ts and giggles or the times I made crude sex puns like this one time I tried giving this a fist bump but instead she replies with a hi-five and she said "You four my five" and I replied "Oh so can you six my nine?"

Everyone (almost everyone) at my school apparently loves me and yeah I got haters but haters gonna hate. Like DMC4 Dante I tend to be pretty swag and cocky about my awesomeness.

g1326888865343564298.jpg

Also, I'm a smartass.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Nero= 1/3 demon
Dante= 1/2 angel, 1/2 demon
dante has the best of both worlds. Nero is a less powerful version of Dante. Yes, He has the devilbringer but dante can cancel out most other demon abilities with his DT (prime example would be him against Vergil, who is more powerful than him)

IncarnatedDemon

DMC 1 Dante is unlucky. He had some character development in DMC 1. A game made in 2001. And i mention the year of release because...technology wasnt advanced hence the story and characters may been influenced by that.

If Team Little Devils was around for DMC 2 think he may have received more.
Let me give you a summary of DMC 1 Dante:
- Lonely guy obviously who's all alone. Lost his whole family.
- Sought out revenge
- Showed emotions
- Had compassion even for demons "You can't fight with that wound" (comment to Griffon)
- Showed regret
- Had sense of humor

Just saying that since people seem to use that "I feel close to DmC Dante" as if it is a valid point in him being a better character because you like that kind of catering.

If you need to see yourself in DMC Dante to say "I like him alot", then i pity your perspective.

You dont have to be Dante to know how he may be feeling.

The feeling of being alone. All the people in his life that made a difference for his existence being a happy one - taken away.
And he walks around with memories of them and how he wished they werent dead.

IncarnatedDemon

On topic: That poll is wrong.

Nero's regeneration is far above DmC Dante's. DmC Dante was (i am not sure but confident) scratched by the two female strippers on his back. When he woke up he still had the marks, and only when he did a healing ability did he heal from the marks. And it was really small marks compared to what Nero usually receives by monsters.

On top of that: He didn't regenerate the marks over couple of hours. I am pretty sure Nero would regenerate wounds less than few hours.

DmC Dante can freeze or immoblizied oppoent (to vague to tell), but it is for a few seconds i think.

Even if he did that, Nero has Devil bringer, something DmC Dante doesnt. I dont think ive ever seen DmC Dante use grappling (angel/demon) in story. And gameplay powers that arent used in story is pretty much not part of the power of a character.
I didnt see him using grappling against Vergil or Mundus as part of his ability.

Nero can just use Devil Bringer to grab DmC Dante. And he has brute force in his arm to attack with as well as a sword.

For illustration purpose, Nero was stabbed by many lances and a finishing stab from Agnus sword:
Gladius.gif

And he pretty much shruged it all off.

EDIT: Against Mundus DmC Dante used Eryx.
I really dont know how to interpret this. Whether as a ability of his or not.

Because if i interpret it as "Eryx a gameplay weapon is part of Dante's power arsenal", then 1) that in DmC 2 Dante will then have Eryx

2) Then i must consider the parts where Nero uses gameplay special abilities in a cutscene.

He also used the grappling. I am sure Grappling will be in DmC 2, so i have no doubt that it's part of Dante's arsenal.
But...i dont think his grappling is as accurate as Nero's Devil Bringer.

Devil Bringer = extension of Nero's body
DmC Dante's Grappling = a tool.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
a huge part of classic DMC lore was that being human was actually a completely overlooked trump card. Granted it's never explained exactly how that works, but if it worked for classic dante, I'll believe it. Plus nero's got vergil hidden up his sleeve (literally) so there's that.

plus the dude goes toe to toe with dante at his peak and manages to hold his own
(skip to 3:44 to get past the intro stuff, if you actually want to watch)
granted dante's screwing around with him the whole time, the fact he manages to land anything at all is pretty significant.

So yes, against an emotional teenaged dante who's barely come to grips with his own identity by the end of the game, I cast my vote for nero.

EvilX-81

Because if i interpret it as "Eryx a gameplay weapon is part of Dante's power arsenal", then 1) that in DmC 2 Dante will then have Eryx

I really hope they've thought ahead for this if there was ever a DmC2 to come. Otherwise they could wind up with a growing plethora of weapons to deal with, since these weapons are basically a part of Dante. In DMC it could be assumed Dante sells/gives them to Lady or chucks them in a closet. In this case...

IncarnatedDemon

I really hope they've thought ahead for this if there was ever a DmC2 to come. Otherwise they could wind up with a growing plethora of weapons to deal with, since these weapons are basically a part of Dante. In DMC it could be assumed Dante sells/gives them to Lady or chucks them in a closet. In this case...
Thats not what i meant.

Abilities or weapons related to the character is with the character at all time in the story. For example a sword(A or R) , Ebony and Ivory and Demonic form are all with Dante at all time in all DMC games .

But the devil arms in 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 are never part of Dante's arsenal. They are merely weapons tied to gameplay.

What do i mean when i say it's TIED to gameplay? It means it's not an ability or weapon that Dante has at all time and that the weapons are only featured for sake of gameplay. This becomes more apparent when you consider how many weapons a character has throughout the game as you finish it.

for DMC 4:
Gilgamesh, Lucifer, Pandora, etc - like how does Dante have all of these weapons in his pocket? It's simple: he doesn't and these weapons aren't really part of the story or part of Dante's arsenal in the story.

This thought proccess raises a question: Is Arbiter and Osiris separate weapons or are they intended to be transformations of Rebellion depending on what bloodline Dante activates.
I dont think that is the case, that there is a "Well Arbiter and Osiris are transformations of Rebellion based on parent bloodline". I mean how would that work at all? And where is the explaination for how this works?

If Eryx doesn't appear in DmC 2 then i would call Dante using Eryx against Mundus in cutscene a slip up. It was very fitting attack but how do you go about making the main character demonstrate a weapon (seems more like a ability to harden fist) in story as if that said weapon is part of his arsenal, then later in DmC 2 you loose it.
If Eryx is a ability and not a weapon, then it could easily be put into the story in DmC 2, but if it's a weapon then that wont work. Because it's pretty illogical that a character walks around with over 8+ weapons:

Assuming this that is : Osiris, Arbiter, Eryx, Rebellion, Ebony and Ivory, Aquilla, New weapon 1, New Weapon 2, New Weapon 3, new weapon 4.

For gameplay this doesnt matter at all, but for story it does.

Top Bottom