• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante (DmC) vs. Nero

Who would win in a battle?

• Dante

Votes: 62 59.6%
  • Nero

Votes: 42 40.4%

• Total voters

EvilX-81

Thats not what i meant.

Abilities or weapons related to the character is with the character at all time in the story. For example a sword(A or R) , Ebony and Ivory and Demonic form are all with Dante at all time in all DMC games .

But the devil arms in 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 are never part of Dante's arsenal. They are merely weapons tied to gameplay.

But he does wind up *getting* them, and they are usually tied to story since 3 and 4, though minimally. What are we supposed to make of Ceberus and Agni and Rudra giving himself to Dante?

for DMC 4:
Gilgamesh, Lucifer, Pandora, etc - like how does Dante have all of these weapons in his pocket? It's simple: he doesn't and these weapons aren't really part of the story or part of Dante's arsenal in the story.

I always figured it was a part of them being demon magic weapons, that they can be summoned up, like how Vergil forms Beowulf on his hands before he fights Dante in 3. They all come to him as a ball of light before they form into weapons for him in 4, so it could work like that.

Granted this only works for Demon Weapons though; stuff like DMC3's giant ass sniper rifle, E and I, and Coyote are are just normal weapons, but I guess with exception of the sniper rifle mentioned before, they could fit into Dante's coat.

This thought proccess raises a question: Is Arbiter and Osiris separate weapons or are they intended to be transformations of Rebellion depending on what bloodline Dante activates.
I dont think that is the case, that there is a "Well Arbiter and Osiris are transformations of Rebellion based on parent bloodline". I mean how would that work at all? And where is the explaination for how this works?

It's kinda inferred when he gets them; he absorbs energy from the killed demon or whatever, it runs through him and then pops up on his back on in his hands. Even Rebellion appears like this when he uses it in the game for the first time "I think it's time for a little rebellion." So basically I think the mark on his back forms the weapons for him. It's his demon weapon suitcase among other things.

It COULD still be similar to DMC4 and 3 though, since obviously I think his mother and father left him Arbiter and Osiris, which may mean those weapons existed before Dante received them, which could mean he could give them away...

Anyway, In contrast, in DMC4 and 3, we know the Demon Arms Dante collects are not actually part of him because he's taking them from The Order in the first place, which is why I'm concerned about DmC's Dante way of handling weapons to DMC classic's.

With the previous DMCs it can be assumed he just sells or puts them away at the end. In DmC, they *seem* to be directly connected to him, so if he doesn't use them when he's in a jam in the next DmC, it would look weird since they're always with him.

IncarnatedDemon

But he does wind up *getting* them, and they are usually tied to story since 3 and 4, though minimally. What are we supposed to make of Ceberus and Agni and Rudra giving himself to Dante?
He never used the weapons in any cutscenes after obtaining Agni and Rudra from what i recall. So even if a weapon appears in a cutscene it may be a intro cutscene for the weapons and not a cutscene important to the story.

EvilX-81

He never used the weapons in any cutscenes after obtaining Agni and Rudra from what i recall. So even if a weapon appears in a cutscene it may be a intro cutscene for the weapons and not a cutscene important to the story.

Yea he doesn't but they still play a part in battling him and then changing into a weapon for him to utilize. We'd have to basically ignore everything coming up to that point. I think they intentionally made it nebulous like that, particularly in 3, so it didn't mess with the story ultimately. Perhaps someone thought it might look weird if Dante used one of the previous weapons against say, Vergil in a cutscene, though you technically don't have that weapon at that moment.

We don't have that problem in 4 however with everything being accessible throughout the game... but that adventure was basically an early morning jog for Dante anyway.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
I really hope they've thought ahead for this if there was ever a DmC2 to come. Otherwise they could wind up with a growing plethora of weapons to deal with, since these weapons are basically a part of Dante. In DMC it could be assumed Dante sells/gives them to Lady or chucks them in a closet. In this case...
it's generally assumed that classic dante had to sell most of the weapons he found in order to pay his bills, keeping only the very sentimental or too-powerful ones. People often joke that agni and rudra were sold off for being too talkative, and spend their days chatting up stuffed animal tea-parties for some rich family's 7 year old daughter

seraphmaycry

but devil arms WERE used in cutscenes go play the mission of dmc3 before the annoying rotating tower BS and watch dante grab ladys moterbike using.....CERBERUS plus the anime or did you miss the agni and rudra cameo? remember it was in his shop in the OFFICIALLY CANON with no reason they could not be their anime so yeah..... i assume dante (DMC) has some sort of pocket that were supposed to overlook the same as dante and neros swords magically floating on their backs an nobody is like DA FAQ IS WRONG WITH THIS GUY!!!?

as for DmC dante i think of it as the scythe and axe are gufts from his parents and the paintings contained some power or energy in them that mark on his back magically transformed his default sword rebbelion with depending on the situation (there was a guy with a sheild arbiter breaks sheilds better then eryx thus we get arbiter) remember vergil stated at the intro curscene for mission three that dante had THE rebblion and NOTHING else vergil explored vergil is supposedly a genius demonoligist vergil obviusly would have gotten something from the paintings or whatever to when he first explored yet he states he has the yamato and he does not say something like also i have a big ass cannon that can split planets or i have a axe he just said "the yamato" the same as he said dante has "the rebbelion" IDK for downfall but we are not clear entirely on what actually happens and the description for the DLC states that vergil is "stripped of most of his power" safe to say vergil probably got the same or most likely deal as dante (vergil used quite a few moves in the boss fight that was not in the DLC either)

but this is all of topic

IncarnatedDemon

It's not off topic. Before you can understand who will win you must know what abilities or weapons they have at disposal.

But it's a pretty tough subject really, so i am kinda leaving it.

But one thing that seems to have alot backing it:
Nero's regeneration compared to DmC Dante is way off eachother.

DmC Dante used a healing ability to recover his wounds.

Nero was stabbed by many lanches and even a giant sword (Agnus's), and he still recovered from that through regeneration. Where as DmC Dante's method of recovery was a healing ability.

And since Nero's demonic power is similar to DMC Dante's, you can look at DMC Dante:
1) He was shot in the head by Lady and walked around as if nothing happened.
2) Stabbed multiple times by swords and even made it look like nothing.

Where as DmC Dante got scratched by presumably by the two human strippers and over the night the wounds had not recovered through regeneration.

So that's one thing Nero has that is far superior than DmC Dante. And honestly if DmC Dante's regeneration is really as bad as evidence show, then i wonder how he will beat Nero.

Plus Nero made DMC 4 Dante break a sweat.

Sunaka Marién

But one thing that seems to have alot backing it:
Nero's regeneration compared to DmC Dante is way off eachother.

DmC Dante used a healing ability to recover his wounds.

Nero was stabbed by many lanches and even a giant sword (Agnus's), and he still recovered from that through regeneration. Where as DmC Dante's method of recovery was a healing ability.

And since Nero's demonic power is similar to DMC Dante's, you can look at DMC Dante:
1) He was shot in the head by Lady and walked around as if nothing happened.
2) Stabbed multiple times by swords and even made it look like nothing.

Where as DmC Dante got scratched by presumably by the two human strippers and over the night the wounds had not recovered through regeneration.

So that's one thing Nero has that is far superior than DmC Dante. And honestly if DmC Dante's regeneration is really as bad as evidence show, then i wonder how he will beat Nero.

Plus Nero made DMC 4 Dante break a sweat.
It seems that DmCDante has to activate his healing powers at will, so the reasons he still had those scrateches on his back would be that he just didn't use his powers yet, due to just falling asleep or simply being too drunk :p So I don't think we can tell for sure whose healing abilities are greater.

Now if you look at DmCDante:
1) In that trade cutscene he was hit by mulitple bullets in his back but he still walked around and fought like nothing happened.
2) When Mundus tried to rip his heart out, Dante first crashed into a building after several meters of free fall, yet, it didn't seem that the fall had done anything to him, after which Mundus digs his finger deeply into Dante's chest, leaving some rather big bloody holes, which, after Mundus letting go of Dante and falling, Dante heals within a matter of seconds.

I'd say his healing abilities aren't that bad at all.

Edit: Oh, and, I think DMC4 Dante was actually just toying with Nero, as he knew that he wasn't a bad guy or anything, and therefor didn't really want to hurt him in the first place.

IncarnatedDemon

^ That's pretty inconcistent.

Sleep is basically resting, therefor a being with good regeneration would regenerate shallow marks during sleep. Dante's ability of healing being not on when he sleeps is because it's not regeneration.

Why did he not regenerate those shallow wounds over night left by the two strippers but he regenerated/recovered from Mundus and falling from building.

And even though Dante wasnt trying to kill Nero, he still had to take him seriously.
He started breathing heavily and when Nero was punching Dante he had to go Devil trigger.

As far as the trade scene goes, that scene was messed up. It wasn't logical at all. Not saying DMC was very logical but that scene in DmC particular was pretty weird.
DmC Dante just runs into gunfire and gets Kat, while doing that no bullet pierces his body and no blood comes from his body.
And he then returns Kat without any indication of him being shot. Like heavy wounds.

What's more weird is how Kat didn't get shot when she was in middle of the gunfire.

Sunaka Marién

You should learn to read more carefully. I never refered to what he did as regenerative powers, I used healing powers for a reason, you know?
And how is it inconsistetent when I just said that it is possible that he has to use those powers at will? You don't really do anything willingfully when you're asleep.

About the trade scene: Just rewatch it. Dante is being hit by bullets, and there is blood coming from where the bullets enter his body. Why there aren't any 'heavy wounds'? Well, I don't know that much about wounds from being hit by bullets, but I think the wounds they leave are relatively small. Another reason is, well, it's a video game. They'd have to create new textures for only that one mission, which I guess isn't something that's being done normally. He does not show any signs of being shot because, surprisesurprise, just like classic Dante he can simply take it and move on.
Kat didn't get hit because the police swat didn't aim at her as she was not a threat at that time, unlike Dante and Vergil (haven't we been talking about that a while ago?) and after Dante got to her and carried her away, he was shielding her with his own body.

IncarnatedDemon

What i meant by inconsistency is:

Dante wakes up (probably slept at least 2 hours), and he has these marks (i assume from the female strippers): he then uses the healing ability.

So i am saying how did he not regenerate those small marks while resting, when against Mundus he recovered much bigger wounds.

I must have found my answer while watching cutscenes.
In beginning he didn't have Devil trigger, while at end he did. Because i really find it weird for him to recover from such wounds Mundus inflicted when he didn't recover shallow wounds while sleeping for over 2 hours.

Sunaka Marién

Could it be that you don't fully understand what I am trying to say? I already said that he used that ability, maybe not my exact words, but 'doing it a will' pretty much means 'using it (consciously)', so while he was alseep, he simply did not use that ability, because it might be necessary for him to consciously decide on using it. So when he woke up, even after some hours of sleep, the marks were still there because he did not consciously activate his healing powers. So how is there an inconsistency when it might be necessary for him to basically tell his body 'ok, now, heal!'? Consiousness is a key word here, maybe I should have used it earlier, sorry :<

IncarnatedDemon

Could it be that you don't fully understand what I am trying to say? I already said that he used that ability, maybe not my exact words, but 'doing it a will' pretty much means 'using it (consciously)', so while he was alseep, he simply did not use that ability, because it might be necessary for him to consciously decide on using it. So when he woke up, even after some hours of sleep, the marks were still there because he did not consciously activate his healing powers. So how is there an inconsistency when it might be necessary for him to basically tell his body 'ok, now, heal!'? Consiousness is a key word here, maybe I should have used it earlier, sorry :<
I am talking about regeneration ...not that healing ability.

I said how could he regenerate the wounds Mundus inflicted so easily while he couldn't regenerate shallow marks while resting.

Sunaka Marién

I am talking about regeneration ...not that healing ability.

I said how could he regenerate the wounds Mundus inflicted so easily while he couldn't regenerate shallow marks while resting.
And I was talking about his healing ability, because you had already said that you think Dante only has a healing ability (which means that, originally, you were talking about his healing ability aswell), unlike Nero who seems to have a regeneration ability. The point I was trying to get across, though, was that, even if Dante only has a healing ability, it still seems capable enough for him to heal really fast and therefor wouldn't pose that great of a disadvantage for him against Nero :/

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I'm not a massive fan of DmC Dante.

I'll give this one to Nero. I probably would of voted Dante if it was classic Dante. I don't like calling him classic Dante (Makes him sound old).

IncarnatedDemon

And I was talking about his healing ability, because you had already said that you think Dante only has a healing ability (which means that, originally, you were talking about his healing ability aswell), unlike Nero who seems to have a regeneration ability. The point I was trying to get across, though, was that, even if Dante only has a healing ability, it still seems capable enough for him to heal really fast and therefor wouldn't pose that great of a disadvantage for him against Nero :/
Healing ability where you must activate it isnt regeneration though. And it may take time to heal up.

Healing would require you to stop fighting for few seconds. And there may be a limit to it.

Anyway i was tlaking about inconsistency in regeneration.

Sunaka Marién

Healing ability where you must activate it isnt regeneration though. And it may take time to heal up.

Healing would require you to stop fighting for few seconds. And there may be a limit to it.

Anyway i was tlaking about inconsistency in regeneration.
I know that a healing ability isn't regeneration, I never said it was. I was talking about his healing ability the whole time though, because you had already established that DmCDante most likely did not have special regenerative powers, but a healing ability. So, I took up that point to try and explain that I think that this healing ability can keep up with Nero's regenerative powers, at least to some extend, which would not make it a disadvantage for Dante in a fight against Nero.
We have seen that it does not take that much time for Dante's healing ability to make him recover from his wounds, though.

We do not know if it is really necessary for him to stop fighting in order to activate it, neither do we know if there is a limit to it.

It did not make sense to me that you were talking about inconsistency in regeneration, because I thought that we had already established that Dante simply does not have special regenerative powers, so it wouldn't make sense to talk about them in the first place, which then lead me to believe that you were either not reading my posts carefully enough, or that you simply did not understand what I was trying to say. Sorry for the misunderstanding there :<

IncarnatedDemon

^ I didn't see him doing a healing gesture after Mundus. So i assumed it must been regeneration.

Hence why i said it's pretty inconsistent.

Sunaka Marién

^ I didn't see him doing a healing gesture after Mundus. So i assumed it must been regeneration.

Hence why i said it's pretty inconsistent.
Healing... gesture? :blink:
He didn't do no healing gesture either when healing the scratch wounds at the beginning of the game :/ Only that tatoo/scar/birthmark-thing on his back started glowing.

IncarnatedDemon

Healing... gesture? :blink:
He didn't do no healing gesture either when healing the scratch wounds at the beginning of the game :/ Only that tatoo/scar/birthmark-thing on his back started glowing.
Actually he stretched or did something to his body before healing. He didn't just stand still and the wounds healed.

Sunaka Marién

Actually he stretched or did something to his body before healing. He didn't just stand still and the wounds healed.
I don't think his stretching had anything to do with it :/ It's just something you do when you wake up. Plus, it would have been an awfully boring shot if they'd just let him sit there completely still, so might aswell fill that gap with some subtle movement.

Top Bottom