• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Your Thoughts.

DarkSlayerVergil

Being powerful doesn't make him invulnerable. It's the Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust effect.
When you say "invulnerable" do you mean lIke Superman "invulnerable",here almost nothing can pierce his skin unless thiers some specific context? Cause I'd say it's less of Dante being invulnerable and more of him being hard as hell to put down due to his healing factor.
I've said it a few times before and I'll probably say it again: Watching someone walk down a gentle slope will never be as interesting as watching someone running up a hill with bloody knees and knuckles, worn to the point of exhaustion and beaming with determination.
I feel as though this is more applicable to say Guts from Berserk where all his heavy battles and use of the Berzerker Armor has taken a physical toll on his body. Sure he gotten healed by Silk but the lasting affects left on his body never went away like him gaining a streak of white hair, losing a decent amount of muscle mass and so on. Obviously the closest we got with Dante is in 3 at the end when Vergil slashed his hand but outside of that what else? We could of had Dante character convey his growth and development from his past experience in his personality but 4 throws a wrench into everything for the sake of nostalgia pandering.

I'm expecting a Dante that when ever he cracks a one liner you hear the hardened reaolve he has accumulated over the years of slaying demons that does eventually lead into what he becomes in 2 and hopefully along with a decent reason for his melancholyness as well.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
My thoughts are riled with DMC’s return. Makes me question how exciting will the story be.

And they say a third character. I just hope it’s Vergil.

Plus will they bring in he Perfect Devil Trigger into this game?

DarkSlayerVergil

My thoughts are riled with DMC’s return. Makes me question how exciting will the story be.

And they say a third character. I just hope it’s Vergil.

Plus will they bring in he Perfect Devil Trigger into this game?
Isn't the 3rd characters V? I'm still under the impression that Vergil will be DLC down the line somewhere.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
It's too early to tell, but... if his attitude is exactly the same as DMC4, then that wouldn't fly with me. That is, if it takes place a considerable amount of time after DMC4. I really want to see him show more of his DMC1 personality, or shift into his DMC2 personality... although, they could do a far better job at making him seem broken without being silent. I'd want that character arc to him.
Dante has always been the silent one who cracks jokes here and there. Always.
That's not quite what I was getting at. DmC introduced far more aerial combos that can be easily chained together and pulled off, without ever needing enemy step. Having it be quick and fluid wouldn't necessarily make it any less accessible, at least... not in my opinion. I think it's mostly to do with just having the right tools available for casuals like me to pull it off, such as having aerial attacks that will naturally just keep you in the air, as long as you correctly chain it with other aerial attacks.

I could bring up angel pull as well, but even that wasn't needed to stay in the air. That was more about going from one airborne enemy to another, without having to touch the ground. Ultimately, I could perform both with around the same level of difficulty. Staying in the air was naturally harder, but not by much. It allowed me to blend the two naturally - it was a ton of fun as a result. Angel pull definitely helped, though... I'd want to see that return for all characters as well, in some shape or form (eg. Trickster), including the ability to use it to knock enemies higher in the air with the right timing.
...Right, but that "mechanic" actually replaces DMC4's arm snatch (Nero's old snatch, with the devil bringer). The trouble with that particular mechanic is as I said before: Clunky. It felt like it was added at the last minute kind of thing. There are times where I'd miss the "timing" of the snatch, and fail the aerial combo. Making it feel fluid would help. DMC4's arm grab felt ...right. Like it was designed for DMC4. With DmC, it felt like the designers made Nero, but added the snatch later. That's how I felt about the "snatch" in DmC.

It felt like it was put in there to target Nero fans. I like Nero, but I like DMC3's Dante more.
DMC3 and DMC4. I hope that style system is gone.
Why? Here's why I am asking: In DMC: SE, you could switch weapons on the fly. Or the "style" system that you would select in the Divinity Statue screen...? Trickster, Swordmaster, etc? For me, the style system in DMC3/4 was the whole system where you would use different attacks to increase the score. This is where the weapons come in - so... Let's say you're using Angi and Rundra, and you want to use the combination of shotgun and Rebellion (sword), you can swap it at the moment's notice. In DmC, the style system is the color-coded battle system. The color-coded style system was slow and clunky in my opinion. If they upped the responsiveness or the smoothness of the animation - the color coded system would have been helpful. Becasue back in the DMC3 days (and I'm still playing it), I'd switch Angi & Rundra, and Rebellion to do two things: Up the style meter, and damage the enemy in front of me depending on the moment. I'd want the freedom.

That's why I absolutely love DMC, and I am a casual.
DmC was fine, since it was way easier to learn and grasp. I could always keep my fingers on the two triggers, and having it be "hold" rather than "toggle" felt more intuitive when I merely wanted to use one ability for that given style. There were also just two styles, not five of them to keep track of. Far more manageable for my taste.
Okay, you sort of answered my question. I really hated the "hold" thing. I mean, I understand why it's there, but the transition from Ice, to Fire - there was a f***ing delay. Yes there was. I cannot count the many times I died just because of that little delay. Yes, DmC as a base game is easy, but that's not what I'm talking about. You're fighting a Fire enemy right now, right? Here comes Ice enemy, you're already in the middle of an attack, you press the other button, and there's the delay, the enemy already attacked you. 90% of the time, I'm low health, that scenario happens to me.

Finally, the style system in DMC3('s Divinity Sone screen) was put in there for player choice. Me? I only used one, throughout the entire game. I never even looked at it.

Last edited:

DarkSlayer54

Dante has always been the silent one who cracks jokes here and there. Always.
You know what I mean. DMC2 Dante is MILES a part from every other version of him.

...Right, but that "mechanic" actually replaces DMC4's arm snatch (Nero's old snatch, with the devil bringer). The trouble with that particular mechanic is as I said before: Clunky. It felt like it was added at the last minute kind of thing. There are times where I'd miss the "timing" of the snatch, and fail the aerial combo. Making it feel fluid would help. DMC4's arm grab felt ...right. Like it was designed for DMC4. With DmC, it felt like the designers made Nero, but added the snatch later. That's how I felt about the "snatch" in DmC.

It felt like it was put in there to target Nero fans. I like Nero, but I like DMC3's Dante more.
When I say that I want DmC's accessible air combat, I'm definitely not saying that I want its issues to come with it. I think it's totally possible to pull from DmC and fix the issues you experienced with delays and fluidity.

Why? Here's why I am asking: In DMC: SE, you could switch weapons on the fly. Or the "style" system that you would select in the Divinity Statue screen...? Trickster, Swordmaster, etc? For me, the style system in DMC3/4 was the whole system where you would use different attacks to increase the score. This is where the weapons come in - so... Let's say you're using Angi and Rundra, and you want to use the combination of shotgun and Rebellion (sword). In DmC, the style system is the color-coded battle system. The color-coded style system was slow and clunky in my opinion. If they upped the responsiveness or the smoothness of the animation - the color coded system would have been helpful. Becasue back in the DMC3 days (and I'm still playing it), I'd switch Angi & Rundra, and Rebellion to do two things: Up the style meter, and damage the enemy in front of me depending on the moment. I'd want the freedom.

The style system was needlessly complex and limiting for me. In DMC3, you had to choose between blocking, dodging, sword abilities, and gun abilities. It was painful, especially when they blatantly took out moves just to shoe horn them into these styles. Why can't the guns charge-shot be a global unlock? No reason at all.

DMC4 attempted to solve this, by simply allowing you to switch to all four styles at once... instead of creating a control scheme that allowed all the moves to be more easily accessed. For example, if I want to block an enemy's projectile, and then dash towards them to deal some damage... I would have to press the D-Pad and change to Royal Guard (if it's not already equipped), press circle, press the D-Pad to change to Trickster, jump, and then dash forward (I forget the inputs for this one), and then finally attack.

Going to the D-Pad means that I can no longer move, and it adds a delay to my actions. DmC's two-style system was infinitely better for me, since its reliance on the D-Pad was halved. As you said, they would have to improve on it even more... but that's the only time where I felt a style system worked. Throw Swordmaster abilities onto the weapons themselves, throw Trickster onto Angel, etc. The only problem is that more could have been done, the circle button was painfully underused. Heck, the lack of a lock-on system was an issue as well - a lot more moves could have been added with that as well.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
You know what I mean. DMC2 Dante is MILES a part from every other version of him.
I see, no personality, you're saying. Bland, no character Dante. Yeah, I felt that about Dante in DMC2. I didn't even finish DMC2 for that reason, it felt like an incomplete game. And it shows. I agree.
When I say that I want DmC's accessible air combat, I'm definitely not saying that I want its issues to come with it. I think it's totally possible to pull from DmC and fix the issues you experienced with delays and fluidity.
Okay, I can get behind that notion.
DMC4 attempted to solve this, by simply allowing you to switch to all four styles at once... instead of creating a control scheme that allowed all the moves to be more easily accessed. For example, if I want to block an enemy's projectile, and then dash towards them to deal some damage... I would have to press the D-Pad and change to Royal Guard (if it's not already equipped), press circle, press the D-Pad to change to Trickster, jump, and then dash forward (I forget the inputs for this one), and then finally attack.

Going to the D-Pad means that I can no longer move, and it adds a delay to my actions. DmC's two-style system was infinitely better for me, since its reliance on the D-Pad was halved. As you said, they would have to improve on it even more... but that's the only time where I felt a style system worked. Throw Swordmaster abilities onto the weapons themselves, throw Trickster onto Angel, etc. The only problem is that more could have been done, the circle button was painfully underused. Heck, the lack of a lock-on system was an issue as well - a lot more moves could have been added with that as well.
Oooooh, I see what you mean. Well, that's better than what we had in DMC3. Every time we'd needed a new "move-set" we'd either have to finish the mission, or find a Divinity Statue. I never even knew that's what the D-pad did. No seriously, I never noticed it. I was sooo used to the DMC3 scheme that I completely forgot the old style system. WTF.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Isn't the 3rd characters V? I'm still under the impression that Vergil will be DLC down the line somewhere.

V either Vergil or "Vitale" that's a good question.

I question also if this is the last of the Sons of Sparda saga, there'll be a new legacy with Nero. But.... will Sparda ever appear in ANY of the games!?

DarkSlayer54

He's dead, so no. Unless they do a prequel.
They never showed us how he died, or if he actually died though. They could always go with the "he got out of the way of a death laser, Mundus thought he was vaporized, and he went into hiding until he could one day recover" kind of excuse.

Kind of cheesy, but I like that extra layer of cheese on these games.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
His death was stated out loud in the DMC1 intro. By an external narrator, no less.

"And continued preserve harmony until his death".

DarkSlayer54

His death is stated one the DMC1 intro. By an external narrator, no less, not any in game character that presumes he's dead or anything like that.

"And continued preserve harmony until his death".

Ah, fair enough. No way to get around that without a retcon.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Killing demons and paying the bills. That's his reason.
We had that in the anime. Wasn't really that engaging.

These kind of shows usually have other goals than just the jobs. The main characters have other goals/desires that carry over week to week or push them behind the scenes (supernatural/buffy etc).

DarkSlayer54

We had that in the anime. Wasn't really that engaging.

These kind of shows usually have other goals than just the jobs. The main characters have other goals/desires that carry over week to week or push them behind the scenes (supernatural/buffy etc).

It not being engaging would be a fault of the writing, rather than anything else.

I don't need a character to have a real end goal to enjoy a show. A lot of super heroes are like that, take Batman or Superman for example. I loved their animated series, despite it all just being small arcs or one-off episodes.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Look I understand that harassing isn't answer, but I'm sorry, for example if you at Olympics fall flat at the start of the race, people will make fun about you, because it shows that you are terrible at what you suppose to do the best.

Or y'know...don't be a gaping asshole. Harassment is never the answer, there is no addendum to that, there is no point where harassment is a logical, well-meaning conclusion to take.

On topic - eeeeeh, reserving judgments for the most part. The new, minute details are nice to see to make things look a little cleaner. Whether we can or can't cycle through Devil Breakers is a concern, but we'll see. Still holding out with a glimmer of hope that they'll reorganize Dante's controls so it isn't butt. Otherwise, yup, it's a DMC, I'll play it.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Or y'know...don't be a gaping asshole. Harassment is never the answer, there is no addendum to that, there is no point where harassment is a logical, well-meaning conclusion to take.
There is differense between harassment and roasting somebody for failure. You know, just like Trump acts like clown and tweets dumb crap "cofefefe" and everybody roasting him for it? Like I said, if somebody can't play games, they should simply not go on stage and make an ass out of themselves. And if they done it, they can't expect everyone sit around and pity them for epic fail.

berto

I Saw the Devil
When you say "invulnerable" do you mean lIke Superman "invulnerable",here almost nothing can pierce his skin unless thiers some specific context? Cause I'd say it's less of Dante being invulnerable and more of him being hard as hell to put down due to his healing factor.
Invulnerable as in nothing can touch him. He slices, dices, dodges and shoots at his enemies and sometimes he isn't even looking. Just eases through the hordes of enemies. It was cool in DMC3 because, honestly, it was still new, but in DMC4, where nothing phased him and he is just invisible, like D in the second Vampire Hunter D movie, and it wasn't as interesting.

I feel as though this is more applicable to say Guts from Berserk
It's just an example. What I'm trying to say is that it's the struggle that makes the journey worthwhile for us. the viewer. In DMC3 Dante struggled against Vergil, his one equal, and the manipulative Arkham, but it wasn't the cake walk he went through in 4 where he was basically in no real danger at any given time.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!

On topic - eeeeeh, reserving judgments for the most part. The new, minute details are nice to see to make things look a little cleaner. Whether we can or can't cycle through Devil Breakers is a concern, but we'll see. Still holding out with a glimmer of hope that they'll reorganize Dante's controls so it isn't butt. Otherwise, yup, it's a DMC, I'll play it.

If you mean the removal of the Style system you might as well stop hoping.

https://www.gameinformer.com/gamesc...-ninja-theory-nico-and-the-difference-between

"In the trailer we saw a little bit of Dante, with him wielding the motorcycles. Can you offer details about his gameplay? Will he be similar to his DMC 3 iteration?
Actually I don’t think anyone’s asked this question. We’re going to go more into detail about Dante at TGS, but in terms of whether he’ll more like his DMC 3 or 4 iteration, we’ll have to say more like DMC 3."

This alludes to the return of the Style System but one draw from this and think he might mean exactly like DMC3 where you can only have 1 style at a time but he did say more like DMC3 so one could say they could be drawing a lot of mechanics that are unique to DMC3 like Crazy Moves, Wall Running (hopefully), how his moveset function in DMC3 compared to DMC4, Doppleganger and Quicksilver Style, the options to customize our weapon loadout (combined with the fact Okabe said there will be a lot of new crazy weapons), while still having Style Switching from DMC4.......or something else.

Top Bottom