• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Your Thoughts.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Like usual. So stop wriggling semantics.

Semantics are important, chummer. It's how people understand the nuance of language and discourse. Also, "wriggling semantics?" Is it like this?

tenor.gif

Berto named both Vergil and Mundus from DmC, to which I replied that one of them is main villain and the other is final boss, so case where main villain was known from getgo was only once in the franchse.

He named DMC3 Vergil, and Mundus from DmC.
You mean like Vergil in 3 or Mundus in DmC? Why would it be strange to establish who your antagonist is from the beginning? Happens all the time. Yeah, you want to build suspense and drama but you're not likely to lose anything from establishing who you're fighting against, specially if he's kicking Dante and Nero's ass.

So, um....no? And, by your standards "where main villain was known from getgo [sic]" is...

[x] DMC1 - Trish names Mundus as the the villain immediately, spurring Dante to even go to Mallet Island
[x] DMC2 - Despite Argosax the Chaos and the Despair Embodied coming outta nowhere, Arius was mentioned early on
[x] DMC3 - Vergil rises out of the ground with a demonic tower, and despite Arkham trying to use him. that doesn't make him any less the main villain
[x] DMC4 - Sanctus is one of the first prominent figures of the Holy Order we see, and his evil deeds only become more apparent. Dante shot the dude for a reason. Actually quite an interesting concept having the villains framed as Nero's superiors in the beginning
[x] DmC - Mundus is established to be looking for Dante so he can rip out his heart
[?] DMC5 - We're shown a demon inside the Qliphoth, sitting on a throne of thorns (say that five times fast!) in what appears to be a flash-forward. That's some main baddy-type elements, but who knows? They're only sitting in the middle of the thing causing all the chaos in Redgrave

That's uh...five for five so far, it seems? Unless you have some other stipulations on what a "main villain" is, and what it means to be "known from the get-go." Maybe Sanctus is a little shaky, so 4/5 instead.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Also, "wriggling semantics?" Is it like this?.
It means you haven't bothered reading, before you wrote your point and now you desperately trying to make an impression that what you wrote isn's miss

[x] DMC1 - Trish names Mundus as the the villain immediately, spurring Dante to even go to Mallet Island
[x] DMC2 - Despite Argosax the Chaos and the Despair Embodied coming outta nowhere, Arius was mentioned early on
[x] DMC3 - Vergil rises out of the ground with a demonic tower, and despite Arkham trying to use him. that doesn't make him any less the main villain
[x] DMC4 - Sanctus is one of the first prominent figures of the Holy Order we see, and his evil deeds only become more apparent. Dante shot the dude for a reason. Actually quite an interesting concept having the villains framed as Nero's superiors in the beginning
[x] DmC - Mundus is established to be looking for Dante so he can rip out his heart.
DMC1 - Munduss never appears in person and acts from the shadows, while he never appears personally in game. It's his presence that makes him that intimidating.
DMC2 - Arius is neither main villain, being pawn of Argosax, neither is he final boss. Miss on both accounts
DMC3 - Vergil isn't main villain, with main villain being Arkham. Learn difference between "villain and atagonist". Though in this case it's the only case where it was clear from get go, since whole game was about Dante and Vergil rivalrly.
DMC4 - Sanctus revealed as villain in later half of Nero's scenario.
DmC - Munduss dies before final battle (which may be the case with DMC5. )
Like I said very shaky examples. So far the only time we saw final battle in prologue is in the case with Vergil. And even than it wasn't final battle, but just mid point of the game, which is most likely be the case in DMC5. So no doubt tentacle guy is major villain, but I doubt he would be main villain of the story, unless they pull some twisteroo. You don't show what final challenge is, if you want to keep suspense. And I trust Itsuno talented enough to avoid it.

berto

I Saw the Devil
@TWOxACROSS
@Innsmouth
Ok, gentlemen, let's call it quits on this. I might have an opinion on this but we're getting sidetracked. W are two posts away from somebody posting a pie chart and a research paper on the history of villains in the arts from South Harmon Institute of Technology. Let's just let it go.

Reactions: Meg

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
It means you haven't bothered reading, before you wrote your point and now you desperately trying to make an impression that what you wrote isn's miss

That's rich.

DMC1 - Munduss never appears in person and acts from the shadows, while he never appears personally in game. It's his presence that makes him that intimidating.
DMC2 - Arius is neither main villain, being pawn of Argosax, neither is he final boss. Miss on both accounts
DMC3 - Vergil isn't main villain, with main villain being Arkham. Learn difference between "villain and atagonist". Though in this case it's the only case where it was clear from get go, since whole game was about Dante and Vergil rivalrly.
DMC4 - Sanctus revealed as villain in later half of Nero's scenario.
DmC - Munduss dies before final battle (which may be the case with DMC5. )
Like I said very shaky examples. So far the only time we saw final battle in prologue is in the case with Vergil. And even than it wasn't final battle, but just mid point of the game, which is most likely be the case in DMC5. So no doubt tentacle guy is major villain, but I doubt he would be main villain of the story, unless they pull some twisteroo. You don't show what final challenge is, if you want to keep suspense. And I trust Itsuno talented enough to avoid it.

So like, your stipulation was, and I quote here...

where main villain was known from getgo

...means that, us knowing Mundus is the villain in DMC1 because Trish literally told us doesn't count because we didn't see him until the very end? Arius was named by Matier as the source of the island's demonic problems, and he was never a pawn of Argosax. He was literally trying to summon the demon so he could become stronger, and then got his dead body possessed by Argosax after Dante "gave him his crown." Vergil is most definitely the main villain of DMC3, given that he is the driving force behind Dante's trip up Temen-ni-gru. However, if you want to say that Arkham is the main villain of DMC3, well he was shown right from the get-go too, because he was standing right next to Vergil. DMC4? Yeah, shaky, but your stipulations are just as, if not more. DmC Mundus, what does it matter if he died before the final battle, he was the person you spent 99% of the game fighting against.

What does "main villain" mean to you? It sounds like half the time you're trying to talk about the "final boss," which isn't necessarily the same thing, because the last boss can be wholly different from the antagonist that opposed the hero for the main portion of the game.

EDIT: Ah shoot, sorry @berto I didn't see your post pop in before I sent mine. And I was just getting my easel set up for the charts, too!

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Fine, but no more of this. Let's drop it. It's getting us nowhere.
And right after I did you a solid...

I respect the solids! I acknowledge the solids have been done!

Anyway, I'm curious about what other elements we'll see with the Blue Rose. Getting the info straight, it's cool that those loaded rounds in the HUD and whatnot are literally banking your charged shots for later to fire off whenever you want. That actually makes the reloading way less incidental than I had thought it was originally. Itsuno mentioned there would be other types of bullets we could load in, so it should be pretty interesting to see how they open up the gun attacks' skill set. Maybe they'll change both the behavior of the charge shot and the firing rate.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well, we have these, which are like the original charge shots, or at least I think they are. And if they aren't then there is that, a round that has a delayed explosion. So, what else. Piercing rounds? Elemental. Rapid fire. And that's all I can think of. I'm sure whatever they have in store will only make things better because if there is one word I use often to describe Nero's gameplay in DMC4, it's anemic.

ShiningTempest

Do you know what the definition of efficiency is? The ratio of the useful work performed by a machine or person in a process or task to the total energy expended and you are telling me that it takes less energy to input 3 simultaneous commands to just the 1. If you had a machine that requires 3 arms to fold envelopes and one that can do it with 1 with the same degree of aptitude which would you say is the more efficient?
I know what total efficiency and apparent efficiency means, and you are telling me that it takes less energy to program an extra button into the game files and make that work with the control scheme and then have the controller utilize that button, and force the player to find the button and press it while that same action could have be performed with a combination of direction input(a button already the player has the thumb on) and lock on(crucial to the combat) and jumping?

Your analogy also works in a different way:
If you have a machine that had a fifty separate buttons for each types of folding procedure with all buttons consuming energy and one that simply allowed better control over folding movement using a combination of directional inputs and orientation using five buttons which one would be more efficient?
There was never any 'genius' to have to input 3 commands to avoid attacks, it was just never intrusive.
Why are you convinced that they CREATED three commands just to implement dodging? Anyone can create a dodge button these days. But to create a system that ties in targeting, movement, and jumping into one function that still don’t have an input command while being accessible as any dodge button is a genius mechanic.
The enemies were never so fast or aggressive nor versatile that one needed more precision than simply jumping away
Nope, they were. This was especially evident in DMC3(the best in the series). Jumping puts you in a different spacial position relative to the enemy than dodging. This precision in choice was crucial in avoiding attacks while maximizing the damage you could deal.
The games were build with that mobility in mind. But now games are faster, have better AI, more attack variety and if DMC5 is so simple and the enemies so unthreatening that a simple jump is enough to get away from every attack in the game I fear for the worst.
What games are you talking about? Also what you say is self conflicting.

First of all, you claim that enemies are unthreatening when their attacks can be avoided with single skills. Which is false because look at DMC3, you could avoid damage with jumping but that did not make the enemies unthreating in any way and it was the hardest game in the series.

Next is your entire point of having a manual dodge skill, well then if they implemented a manual dodge and enemies are so unthreatening that a manual dodge would avoid all attacks, then would you not fear for DMC5 as well?

Next is what you expect of the game. DMC is about giving player freedom, you can avoid attacks in any way you prefer. If say an enemy would attack through dodging because the devs decided that, then dodging would be worthless against that enemy, turning it into another form of color coded enemy scenario.

So yes a simple jump is enough to avoid damage, but the myriad of tactical scenarios that jump would result in, and the act of deciding the specific evasion skill to use within 2 seconds is the depth of the combat.
Yes, it is. If you had a dedicated dodge you could use those other 2 fingers to do other things while you dodge but instead you have one thumb on the analog stick, another on the jump button and your finger on the lock-on instead of one finger tapping dodge, one thumb shooting wildly and the other switching weapons. See? Doing two more things with the same amount of inputs.
But you can already do many things with this setup.
Stay locked on for different attack skills and shooting,
Supplemented by the thumb on the stick ready to input directional commands, while continuing movement.
While being ready to jump, because you do it on the same button. Now the tactical difference between jumping and dodging was already explained earlier.

If you had a dedicated dodge button, and lock on and direction input, you would have to remove the finger from the jump button and press dodge, in DMC’s setting as the jump button doubles as the dodge button you don’t have to bother with another button.

This is what I mean by efficiency.
Not always. Some systems have left/right/up/down layout
Some systems as in referring to the control scheme or the dimensionality of the weapon select system? Weapon switching can have two inputs:
Select next weapon.
Select previous weapon.
Now you can use two buttons to do this or you can use one button and a directional modifier.

Or you can map each weapon to each button. Which is highly inefficient because if you have more then 4 weapons you would tax other controller functions.
No, that's what I'm arguing against, that to perform a simple or basic action there should be a single, dedicated input. Taunting shouldn't be RT+Select, it should be one or the other. Shooting shouldn't have to be a 3 button deal. Jumping. Melee attack, These are basic things and should be single inputs. Stinger, High Time, Caliber. These are a bit more specific and require more inputs to perform. Second tier moves if you will. Not complex but do require more actions.
Yes taunt is a one dimensional skill. There is no ‘right taunt’ of ‘left taunt’ and thus one button is enough.

Shooting:Basic shooting is one dimensional, but it has different functions that different input modifiers can utilize.

Attacking a basic skill, but has the highest number of modifiers resulting in different skills.

The context is this is the buttons assigned to each action, would you like a stinger, launcher, helm breaker button? would you like lots of buttons taking up controller space? would that be efficient? or you can have fewer buttons accessing all the skills through different orientations. The former was used by Ninja Theory and people criticized them for exactly that.

Dodge shouldn't be a second tier function.
And this is what the entire argument boils down to: Shouldn't
YOU don’t want dodge to be a second tier function. Its not about simplicity and efficiency, its just your personal comfort to dodge with one button as opposed to using 3 skills.
First of all, manual dodging already exists in DMC in the form of Trickster.
Next, DMC fans like it slightly complicated, it has been the staple of the series and that’s how the series has been.
And then, how many games utilize dodge the way DMC does? None. This gives DMC a sense of uniqueness that you cant find in any games. If DMC were to add manual dodging it would just look like the rest of the hack and slashers in the market.

berto

I Saw the Devil
you are telling me that it takes less energy to program an extra button into the game files and make that work with the control scheme and then have the controller utilize that button
Are you for real? Are you seriously arguing that it's less efficient not because the player will benefit or not from it but because the developers will have to program it? Under that logic we might as well not get any new mechanics because the developers would have to model, program, and map it to the controller because it's, well, inefficient.

and force the player to find the button and press it while that same action could have be performed with a combination of direction input(a button already the player has the thumb on) and lock on(crucial to the combat) and jumping?
Oy vey. So, don't add a dodge button because people will have to look for it every single time they want to dodge? How long do you think it takes people to learn or get used to a control scheme?

If you have a machine that had a fifty separate buttons for each types of folding procedure with all buttons consuming energy and one that simply allowed better control over folding movement using a combination of directional inputs and orientation using five buttons which one would be more efficient?
That way far too overly complicated. And that logic is still flawed. There aren't 50 types of dodges, there is only one and if you want to dodge on a different direction than 'back' a dodge button doesn't prevent you from doing it, you can dodge in any direction you want. Function wise, the only difference between a side roll and a dodge feature is that side roll demands a directional input while the dodge would default backwards but both can go in any direction.

Why are you convinced that they CREATED three commands just to implement dodging?
Never said that. Didn't even imply anything of the like.

Anyone can create a dodge button these days
Yeah... What morons... Almost like they want people to dodge without hussle.

But to create a system that ties in targeting, movement, and jumping into one function that still don’t have an input command while being accessible as any dodge button is a genius mechanic.
It wasn't genius, it was a simple remnant of how the game was going to be a Resident Evil title. In RE games you have to hold the aim button to shoot, you can't unless you lock on, so when the game was being made the only way to shoot was to hold the lock-on button, so, since by design you already had to constantly hold the lock-on button, the only thing you had to do that you weren't doing already was pushing X.

The games don't play like DMC1, anymore, thought, do they? You no longer have to hold the lock-on to do everything. the soft lock-on has gotten pretty efficient at its job, even in DMC3. The only time you really have to lock-on is to single out an opponent from the group or for directional commands, like the stinger and high time or Nevan. So, no, not genius, just how it would've worked on an RE game and they never bothered to change it.

YOU don’t want dodge to be a second tier function.
And you think I'm the only one? When you get down to it the only people who would get angry at the notion of adding a dodge are people like you who are overly attached to the old set up.

Its not about simplicity and efficiency
Ah, yes it is.

its just your personal comfort to dodge with one button as opposed to using 3 skills.
It's a matter of experience. I already said that when playing Bayonetta and DMC4 back to back it was obvious that the game was lacking in that and the difference in efficiency became too obvious to go back.

Besides, nobody said or even suggested that you'd have to remove the side roll function to add a dodge. You still have the lock on, you have the digital sticks, and you have the jump button, why would I want features removed? And that's where we differ. I want options, while you seem to not want to let people have features they want even when you'd lose nothing from it.

Anyway, these responses have gotten too long. We're ending this conversation.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Me either , I may end up disliking Nero more in this than I did in 4

No sign of Kyrie so far so maybe he can lay of the whining in this game

berto

I Saw the Devil
Is it me or does that new patern on the blade of the Rebellion look like V's tattoos?
DANTE.jpg

Last edited:

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Is it me or does that new patern on the blade of the Rebellion look like V's tattoos?

It looks like Rebellion has the same mottling as Damascus steel.

1600-medieval-knight-sword-damascus-steel-5.jpg

71aa88fc512a7896a18d269216da2f89--russian-caucasian-spade.jpg

a97686a08acae4efdce91c837cd791fa.jpg

That doesn't make the Rebellion pattern and tattoo pattern mutually exclusive, I'm only not saying yes or no for sure because I haven't seen V's tattoos. I just wanted to mention the pattern resemblance to Damascus/"Wootz" steel. It could be a minor callback to the first game's guidebook with Enzo saying Dante calls his sword "Woozy". Maybe that's what was meant.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
DANTE.jpg
You could see it if you squint but i think we need better pictures to make a more more accurate assessment.

EDIT- the theme song grew on me.

Last edited:

gmc

i like what im seeing so far, i think the arms breaking might get annoying but i dont think that will be a game breaker for me, i like some the enemy designs and i appreciate nero not being an annoying jerk this time around, dont care much for nico, the graphics look off the chain and dante looks pretty dope, just hope he doesnt die

Top Bottom