• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why the hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper

Premium
So where's DMC5 then?
Well in our dimension, they decided to go with reboot, s*** hit the fan... which takes on a whole new meaning combined with statement that fans were flinging **** around, hehehe... *cough* Capcom was left with not enough money to spare and probably not enough courage to dive into this again.
But then again, whose to say something isn't being made in the shadows? (MGS4 taught me to never say never)

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Capcom is involved with a lot of different businesses, not only games. They would not go bankrupt if they give up video games altogether.Anyway they have more preeminent things to solve, like how to deal with "Resident Evil" franchise and it's new possible rival "Evil within" or even the Mighty 9, the possible "Megaman" successor .

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
''It was stated a long time ago that if DmC wasn't made, there would have been nothing else for Devil May Cry.''

? I've only heard this as conjecture on this forum, not as official statements or anything. Any proof?
All I know is... right after DmC failed, Itsuno said he wanted to make DMC5, lol. So, what, he had no ideas for a new DMC in the past but *just like that* got a great idea for DMC5 conveniently right after DmC bombed? Doesn't seem likely to me.

Anyway, it would be really weird if Capcom really had no ideas for DMC after DMC4. DMC2 was created out of nowhere with Capcom having barely any material to use. Same with DMC4. The series has always been all over the place, but still got sequels and even a slight retcon (DMC3), so I don't see why DMC4 would suddenly be their last idea. Also, plenty of forum-goers have come up with some good ideas, so if Capcom suddenly ran out of ideas, that'd be a fail.

Last edited:

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@ColdSteel: Well I guess it was more of a case of "Hm, DmC didn't work as well as we had hoped. We should perhaps rethink about the continuation of the original series instead".

And yeah I agree with you. I don't think that it's so much in the sense of 'DMC4 ended and they (ran out of ideas?)' but more so like they do have a few ideas, maybe plenty. They just don't have a clue where to place everything. And maybe lack confidence to start working on their ideas in case they make a game that flops big time and would really just knock Devil May Cry out of the park. I'm sure that plenty can agree that DMC's plot wasn't exactly as strong as the main character was suppose to be. If anything the story line holds about as much strength as Arkham's human form.

The Final Offer

You guys really wanna know why Capcom isn't paying any attention to DMC?

It's because these games don't selll well for this generation of gaming. This franchise is NOT profitable as much as the lot of you would like to think. If the games didn't make over 2 million then they're not going to continue them. IT USED TO BE ONE MILLION. It's not Capcom that wants DMC or any of it's franchises gone, it's fans and their wallets.

It's the science behind making a game. It's not like they didn't have ideas handy. DmC was made to reintroduce Devil May Cry franchise and draw in new consumers to expand the awareness of the game to keep pumping out Devil May Crys. They do this type of thing ALOT and have been for years. Megaman being ONE of them.

Ok, don't believe me? Resident Evil 4 was a reboot. Did you gasp? Get upset? Ok good. The thing is Resident Evil took that step without announcing it as a reboot because of the lack of any significant changes to the story. The story is still the same for all characters, the gameplay ISN'T. That's the same treatment DmC got, but their fault was in completely redoing Dante and altering very small things in the story. If they had left him DMC 2 style (My fav design) and placed him in that game with these slights, no one would've batted an eye. Seriously, people would've complained about the story in some fashion, but still bought into the game.

Still don't believe me? Bionic Commando and Street Fighter. Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha was the one they thought would hit home. It didn't.

What didn't they reboot...yet? Strider. Ducktales. Monster Hunter. Lost Planet. Probably more.

Some of Capcom's franchises just lack the popularity or the original creators' visions. So they can't use them if it's not going to be authentic or has enough hype. We beg for these games because they were great but that was years ago, things change, situations change, and they just can't straight up breach confidentiality to be more informative about games in development hell.

That ladies and gentleman is why DmC got so much hate. It was called a reboot and people believed it to take over Devil May Cry entirely. If the game were widely successful, DMC 5 would've been on the horizon by now because DmC would've interested people in hack n slash with a new King of hack n slash. Right now, alot more people would've been like I am today, which is waiting to see what Ninja Theory does next.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
guess in infinite limbo after DmC's "warm reception". Just where whole PoP and Metroid are
Well in our dimension, they decided to go with reboot, s*** hit the fan... which takes on a whole new meaning combined with statement that fans were flinging **** around, hehehe... *cough* Capcom was left with not enough money to spare and probably not enough courage to dive into this again.
But then again, whose to say something isn't being made in the shadows? (MGS4 taught me to never say never)

If it was being made in the shadows we'd at least get SOMETHING. All we have is costumes and skins.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
guess in infinite limbo after DmC's "warm reception". Just where whole PoP and Metroid are

You just said the comment on "DMC5 not existing and DmC being the only other option" wasn't real, but now you say we don't have a DMC5 BECAUSE of DmC? So that comment DOES sort of make sense and exist after all.

dude, make up your mind.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
You just said the comment on "DMC5 not existing and DmC being the only other option" wasn't real, but now you say we don't have a DMC5 BECAUSE of DmC? So that comment DOES sort of make sense and exist after all.

dude, make up your mind.

It's safe to just assume that if there WAS plans for a DMC5, it ain't real, there's no news on it, it's not happening anytime soon. And if Capcom really did have ideas on DMC5 after DmC, then whose the stupid f*ck at Capcom who won't tell us what those ideas are as a sneak peek? a tid bit? Something?

DragonMaster2010

It's safe to just assume that if there WAS plans for a DMC5, it ain't real, there's no news on it, it's not happening anytime soon. And if Capcom really did have ideas on DMC5 after DmC, then whose the stupid f*ck at Capcom who won't tell us what those ideas are as a sneak peek? a tid bit? Something?

That would be a smart thing. This is Capcom we're talking about. The company that called their Resident Evil fans old, can't finish what they started (DMC and DmC) and make odd and bad business decisions.

The Final Offer

That would be a smart thing. This is Capcom we're talking about. The company that called their Resident Evil fans old, can't finish what they started (DMC and DmC) and make odd and bad business decisions.

Wait. A representative at Capcom called RE fans old? Are they saying this because the first RE came out in 1996? You would have to be 18+ to play that mature game. So if you're 18 in 1996, how old are you in 2014?

Don't twist their words because we weren't that age when we were playing the first Resident Evil. At least, I was far younger than what I was supposed to be. Ah dads and Halloween...

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
The fanbase for being gullible enough to take the bait?
And maybe NT just did bad job convincing it that there is nothing to worry about.
If it was being made in the shadows we'd at least get SOMETHING. All we have is costumes and skins.
Limbo isn't shadows. Its development hell, where all franchises ended blessed with "warmly receipted" reboots

dude, make up your mind.
One has nothing to do with the other. I said many times, that Capcom is probably to stupid to drop DmC altogether and will continue to push...or would have if reception was warmer. Otherwise thanks to DmC whole franchise is probably on ice and nobody knows if it ever moves from it. As such, decision to make DmC was short sited, poor and didn't bring anything good with it.

DragonMaster2010

Wait. A representative at Capcom called RE fans old? Are they saying this because the first RE came out in 1996? You would have to be 18+ to play that mature game. So if you're 18 in 1996, how old are you in 2014?

Don't twist their words because we weren't that age when we were playing the first Resident Evil. At least, I was far younger than what I was supposed to be. Ah dads and Halloween...

look it up. See for yourself.
decision to make DmC was short sited, poor and didn't bring anything good with it.
But then without DmC, we either way wouldn't have a DMC5, and this is just me but I'd at lest like to have something Devil May Cry related to play. Yeah there's Bayo and MGR but MGR is repetitive while Bayo, despite being great with gameplay, is mediocre at best.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
But then without DmC, we either way wouldn't have a DMC5, and this is just me but I'd at lest like to have something Devil May Cry related to play. Yeah there's Bayo and MGR but MGR is repetitive while Bayo, despite being great with gameplay, is mediocre at best.
Well see, in my opinion, WITH DmC we probably won't be getting ANYTHING DMC related in nearest future at all. It done to much damage to unity of fanbase and controversy + didn't sold that much as Capcom hoped it would. And in case of DmC their forecast were pretty realistic.
Oh and btw, I'm pretty sure that without DmC sooner or later DMC5 would be made. It's just to late for it.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
We can't say for sure DmC was what killed the franchise, DMc "necrosis" started before that. Let me explain:

There was a very prosperous DMC community forum in the internet ( most of you probably know) called Devil's Lair. That community was at it's best when after DMC3 fans was excited with the idea DMC4 could be so great as DMC3 was.Voice actors like Reuben, John and Dan were members too and usually went there to exchange opinions with the other fans.But...
After DMC4 a lot of fans just abandoned the series, maybe because DMC4 had failed their expectations, others were furious about how the characters were portrait and so on. Cat, the forum's owner, just let the forum gently die ( she expressed her disappointment towards what they have done to Vergil and other characters).
Bayonetta came and people started to proclaim Dante was dead and he was trash since Bayo would take his place.
Capcom so decided to refresh the franchise doing a reboot( what could be a good idea or not) to revive the interest on Dante as a protagonist.
Was the reboot the only way? Maybe not, but sure a lot of people had ask Capcom before to change things about DMC, but Capcom never did, since they feared fan backlash, so classic DMC was left in Limbo.
Now you can freely conclude whatever you want.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
And yet Capcom was adamant in making next game after DMC4. Itsuno even went and said that he considers and takes in account any criticism DMC4 warranted. He also claimed he'll make what fans do want next. And now what they made in the end? Sorry toward DmC's fans, not meant to generalize, but many fans definetely didn't wanted anything like DmC. So I can't say I know how it started maybe @Gel right and it started with DMC4. But I definitely saw what ended it and put final nail in the coffin.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
We can't say for sure DmC was what killed the franchise, DMc "necrosis" started before that. Let me explain:

There was a very prosperous DMC community forum in the internet ( most of you probably know) called Devil's Lair. That community was at it's best when after DMC3 fans was excited with the idea DMC4 could be so great as DMC3 was.Voice actors like Reuben, John and Dan were members too and usually went there to exchange opinions with the other fans.But...
After DMC4 a lot of fans just abandoned the series, maybe because DMC4 had failed their expectations, others were furious about how the characters were portrait and so on. Cat, the forum's owner, just let the forum gently die ( she expressed her disappointment towards what they have done to Vergil and other characters).
Bayonetta came and people started to proclaim Dante was dead and he was trash since Bayo would take his place.
Capcom so decided to refresh the franchise doing a reboot( what could be a good idea or not) to revive the interest on Dante as a protagonist.
Was the reboot the only way? Maybe not, but sure a lot of people had ask Capcom before to change things about DMC, but Capcom never did, since they feared fan backlash, so classic DMC was left in Limbo.
Now you can freely conclude whatever you want.
''That community was at it's best when after DMC3 fans was excited with the idea DMC4 could be so great as DMC3 was. Voice actors like Reuben, John and Dan were members too and usually went there to exchange opinions with the other fans.''

I'm sure a lot of fans were disappointed with DMC4 in several ways... but isn't that the case after each DMC? DMC1 created expectations, DMC2 didn't fulfill them. For the people who liked DMC2, it created expectations for DMC3, which weren't met either. If people hadn't played DMC2, they expected DMC3 to return to DMC1's style. Once again, expectations weren't met. So I doubt a huge deal of fans of the entire DMC series just decided to abandon the series after DMC4. Whatever people may say, DMC4 was not some kind of disaster - most people were pretty positive about it, and it got positive reviews. And DMC has always been pretty vague, and some people stuck with the series even after DMC2, which is still considered a bit worse than DMC4.
The quote in orange tells me that that forum was filled with people who liked DMC3 most - they weren't fans of the entire series per se, but mainly DMC3. That would explain why so many fans seemed to abandon the franchise after DMC4 (if they did): because they were fans of DMC3 and DMC4 wasn't too similar to it. It's not surprising that when DMC4 turned out to have a lot of backtracking and a slightly different Dante (again), along with a replacement for Dante, and no Vergil, that DMC3 fans were disappointed. Some people even expected DMC3 to be the first game in a sensible story, as it was a retcon... so not going through with Dante (and possibly Vergil) but instead going with Nero wasn't a popular choice.

It seems to me that the DMC fanbase is fluid: each DMC game was pretty different from the last, which means that each DMC garnered fans, and also alienated fans that liked the previous installment. That said, the gameplay is still the most important aspect of DMC, and it's been really nice since DMC3. DMC4 did make some people angry, but I don't think anybody has studied how many fans ''abandoned the series'' -- that phrase is usually used as a threat.

The reason for the reboot is debatable -- I think they might've done it because they didn't know what to do with Nero. Explanation of who he was only came a long time after DMC4 was finished, so maybe they didn't have any ideas until Bingo came up with the idea that he's Vergil's son.
Going off what I wrote in the first few paragraphs, it's possible Capcom wanted Devil May Cry to have a fanbase that sticks with the series for the story too, not just the gameplay. DMC4 got a lukewarm response from their latest fans (the fans of DMC3), but it still sold very well... so I think Capcom realized there was a lot of potential for making money in DMC. Basically, Capcom was greedy - but they didn't realize people liked DMC for more than just ''gameplay + story''. Changing the characters and the style and atmosphere of Devil May Cry so drastically... it changed the entire personality of the series, and that's just one reason why DmC failed.
Having said all of this, it's still a very tough subject, and nobody here worked for Capcom on DMC, so I suppose we have no idea what Capcom's thinking. It's annoying just thinking about this mess of opinions and the franchise, because I don't have all the answers either.

Last edited:

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
All this talk about DmC being the end of the franchise. Last I heard, DMC4 was the end of the franchise. And before that, I'm pretty sure DMC2 was the death of the franchise. Why do you guys keep changing your minds on what the end of the franchise is? A bad game is a bad game, but it's obvious that not everybody agrees. It's a matter of perspective. Some like it, some don't, either way is okay, but to start stamping 'this killed it' on games at random that don't live up to the vocal minority's opinion. I mean c'mon guys, this is Devil May Cry, it's ONE franchise with 'different' games about the same dude. Build a bridge and get over it.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
All this talk about DmC being the end of the franchise. Last I heard, DMC4 was the end of the franchise. And before that, I'm pretty sure DMC2 was the death of the franchise. Why do you guys keep changing your minds on what the end of the franchise is? A bad game is a bad game, but it's obvious that not everybody agrees. It's a matter of perspective. Some like it, some don't, either way is okay, but to start stamping 'this killed it' on games at random that don't live up to the vocal minority's opinion. I mean c'mon guys, this is Devil May Cry, it's ONE franchise with 'different' games about the same dude. Build a bridge and get over it.
I think people like to have something to blame; it gives people the sense that they are in control, when in fact they have a lack of knowledge -- knowledge they might never receive either because they're not interested in it or because that knowledge is kept secret (as in the case of Capcom and other businesses). On the case of why DmC was made, who knows... it might as well have been on a whim, as in, Capcom members felt like it. Or maybe they were testing what people wanted from a DMC game. In any case, is there any evidence for DMC4 being the reason for a reboot? No, doesn't seem like it... all we can do is speculate based on a great number of things, most of which seem plausible. All I know is, if Capcom isn't making games in franchises of which the last game made less than two million, then DmC and Capcom's arbitrary rules are what finished Devil May Cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom