• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why the hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alis grave nil

-My head-cannon Dante has black hair anyway and it goes white when he's using his powers.I'm actually glad for that addition.It's just reminds me of a juvenile kid...reminds me of jake muller in a bad way :(

alis grave nil

Explain how it is nothing like Devil May Cry.
-okay,so i never finished the game,still playing it.it just seems a bit unfamiliar.granted, i do like the more modern take on it.lemme rephrase,this other dante doesn't seem like the dante i know.vergil,however,is like a 'what if' vergil.not a bad thing really.

-the game feels like a fanfic,at least story wise...a pretty good one,but a fic none the less.very subjective opinion though...i unfortunately lurk around fandom enough to actually know what this is like

The Final Offer

-okay,so i never finished the game,still playing it.it just seems a bit unfamiliar.granted, i do like the more modern take on it.lemme rephrase,this other dante doesn't seem like the dante i know.vergil,however,is like a 'what if' vergil.not a bad thing really.

-the game feels like a fanfic,at least story wise...a pretty good one,but a fic none the less.very subjective opinion though...i unfortunately lurk around fandom enough to actually know what this is like

You do know that it's a reboot? Not canon to the original just a western version of DMC and a spin on it's content.

Just like Megaman Zero is to Megaman.

alis grave nil

You do know that it's a reboot? Not canon to the original just a western version of DMC and a spin on it's content.

Just like Megaman Zero is to Megaman.
yes i do...it's sitting on my lap and i looked into before i brought it.i know it wasn't even made by capcom either.i just never expected a dmc reboot so different so soon.most of the time,it'd be like next gen reboots liken NARC and old arcade game being rebooted or somethin.or even like how king of fighters and fatal fury are AU's of each other ,but the characters are still simular in some ways and all.just my two cents

The Final Offer

yes i do...it's sitting on my lap and i looked into before i brought it.i know it wasn't even made by capcom either.i just never expected a dmc reboot so different so soon.most of the time,it'd be like next gen reboots liken NARC and old arcade game being rebooted or somethin.or even like how king of fighters and fatal fury are AU's of each other ,but the characters are still simular in some ways and all.just my two cents

It's all good. I'm just getting to know you.

I think they should've released it on PS4.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I gotta be honest, I hated the game even before it came out due to Dante's new look. I mean, he's one of the most iconic characters in the videogame insdustry and when I saw him changed that deeply, becoming "Donte", I was like this:

http://i.imgur.com/4D4AHws.gif

I think that's the most common reason why DmC has been (and is) so much hated. As for me, I cooled off eventually. No bad feelings now. But if I think of back then... grrrr, punch him, Dante, punch him!

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I can add one more thing. It's existence and factors connected to it put franchise in danger, with it's future insecure. As such i would prefer it it never existed ... at all :(

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I mean, he's one of the most iconic characters in the videogame insdustry...

...um, I wouldn't go that far. Dante has a fairly large fan-following on the Internet, but I wouldn't put him in the same boat of instant recognition that Mario, Solid Snake, Link, Samus, Lara Croft, Mega Man, and Sonic currently occupy.

I hate to say it, but neither Dante nor Devil May Cry have garnered that level of widespread fame and recognition to be considered "iconic." Both are fairly niche, even among gamers.

WolfOD64

The only place Mega Man occupying now it place of buried icons :/
Buried or not, he has a legacy. He's had a multitude of games, and has been around since the 1980's.

But Devil May Cry? Not counting the reboot, it's had four games over the course of seven years, and only half of them have stayed on the radar of most people outside the fanbase. It hasn't been around nearly as long, doesn't have the same legacy or impact as the people in the aforementioned post...and neither does Dante, as a character.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Dante has a fairly large fan-following on the Internet, but I wouldn't put him in the same boat of instant recognition that Mario, Solid Snake, Link, Samus, Lara Croft, Mega Man, and Sonic currently occupy.
Never fails to amuse me whenever people describe him as an "Icon." Ask a random person in the street and they won't know who he is -- except for when maybe they mistake him for Alighieri.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Buried or not, he has a legacy. He's had a multitude of games, and has been around since the 1980's.

But Devil May Cry? Not counting the reboot, it's had four games over the course of seven years, and only half of them have stayed on the radar of most people outside the fanbase. It hasn't been around nearly as long, doesn't have the same legacy or impact as the people in the aforementioned post...and neither does Dante, as a character.
Well it's "only" defined whole genre out there and without it games like GoW probably wouldn't have exist, but yeah it's totally unimportant ;) And amount of games doesn't really matter, since games is taking more and more time to make. Dark Souls as franchise has basically 2 games (3 if you count Demon Souls) yet it still iconic franchise.

Elijah Guerrero

...um, I wouldn't go that far. Dante has a fairly large fan-following on the Internet, but I wouldn't put him in the same boat of instant recognition that Mario, Solid Snake, Link, Samus, Lara Croft, Mega Man, and Sonic currently occupy.

I hate to say it, but neither Dante nor Devil May Cry have garnered that level of widespread fame and recognition to be considered "iconic." Both are fairly niche, even among gamers.
correct me if i'm wrong here, but i think Solid Snake is slowly losing his fame and recognition to his old man, Big Boss.

WolfOD64

Well it's "only" defined whole genre out there and without it games like GoW probably wouldn't have exist, but yeah it's totally unimportant ;) And amount of games doesn't really matter, since games is taking more and more time to make. Dark Souls as franchise has basically 2 games (3 if you count Demon Souls) yet it still iconic franchise.
If I walk up to most gamers, and I ask them who Kratos is, they'll probably know who I'm talking about. I doubt I'd get the same instant recognition if I asked around who Dante is.

We aren't talking about what franchise had the bigger impact, or whatever...were talking about who iconic the franchises are. Are you going to sit there and tell me that Devil May Cry has the same fame and recognition as any of the games I previously mentioned? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
If I walk up to most gamers, and I ask them who Kratos is, they'll probably know who I'm talking about. I doubt I'd get the same instant recognition if I asked around who Dante is.

We aren't talking about what franchise had the bigger impact, or whatever...were talking about who iconic the franchises are. Are you going to sit there and tell me that Devil May Cry has the same fame and recognition as any of the games I previously mentioned? Yeah, I didn't think so.
Go and ask younger generation of PS or msoft users what F-Zero is. Or who's pacman. Or what Sonic games out there. Or who's captain commando or what is ghouls'n'goblins. You won't get any answer. Why? Well that because those games are pretty much buried and most don't remember or care about them anymore. Does it makes them less iconic? no.
Dante earned his place among iconic characters in his generations. It's not same as with Chaos Legion or Ryse or Enslaved whose characters only appeared in one game and doubtfully gonna get any reference after it at all. Capcom goes as far as placing original Dante references everywhere they can, like costume in Sengoku Basara or Monster Hunter. It doesn't sound like "insignificant character nobody knows about" to me.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
I gotta be honest, I hated the game even before it came out due to Dante's new look. I mean, he's one of the most iconic characters in the videogame insdustry and when I saw him changed that deeply, becoming "Donte", I was like this:
Iconic? That f*cker hardly made it out of Japan in terms of popularity compared to more popular characters. Please.

Dante earned his place among iconic characters in his generations.

No. BLADE was an iconic character of his generation who INSPIRED Dante's look with the coat and sword and guns. Dante's so-called iconic image is some Inuyasha color coating crap for some niche fanbase who worship the pixelated ground he walks on.

psh. Iconic my ass...

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
No. BLADE was an iconic character of his generation who INSPIRED Dante's look with the coat and sword and guns. Dante's so-called iconic image is some Inuyasha color coating crap for some niche fanbase who worship the pixelated ground he walks on.

psh. Iconic my ass...
You may say what you want, but in gaming branch Blade is not important, because all his franchise had is few mediocre games, most didn't played.
And yes Dante IS iconic, no matter what you say. Otherwise he wouldn't have appeared in most of Capcom's promotional art including different franchises. It's like no brainer. He used for promotion, outside of his franchise. Do you use unimportant background characters for promotion? Well, I think you can connect 2 dots together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom