• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why do people hate DmC Dante so much?

Why do you like DmC Dante?

• Total voters

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I really want to know how they give him the white hair in this version,

What, does he just bleach it to hide his identity or something?

I'm gonna lol at whatever twist it is. That gives him long white hair,

It grows white as the game goes on. You notice this in the Bob Barbas fight that the back of his hair has some white on it.

Dante47

It grows white as the game goes on. You notice this in the Bob Barbas fight that the back of his hair has some white on it.
I noticed that to. If this is true, than he may get a huge tuft of white hair like the TGS 2010 Dante. I think we can count on that version of the character returning.

KenKen

Gorram Browncoat
I guess I'll just answer the OP's main question as best I can:

DmC Dante,(Dino) is severely hated for a variety of reasons. For one, he's being touted as the Dante we all know and love; although Dante meant different things to different people. Since all we have seen from Dino is some vulgarity and some anger, it is safe to assume his character will be built around it, I suppose.

On the other hand, he represents an uncomfortable change to some people. He represents the looming fear that Capcom will kill the beloved Devil May Cry franchise that we've grown up with; and he represents the idea that the happy-go-lucky originality that represented Devil May Cry will be replaced by a character who looks too much like a Hollywood makeover and not like the videogame character they're used to.
To some, DmC is the sum of its horrible Public Relations endeavours. Special thanks to Tameem and Alex there. I'm not going to go into it right now, but I'm willing to wager that the PR mistakes were just that: mistakes. This wouldn't have been blown out to this proportion if those two had chosen some better phrases earlier on.
A video confirmed that Dino would be a character in the new Sony brawler. That video got a ton of hate ONLY because he was in it. Yet another video showed a press conference showcasing Lost Planet 3 and DmC. That video got a ton of hate because DmC was in it. Because more than anything DmC represents what it's not.
At some point, I hope there's something that the Pro and the Anti-DmC camp can enjoy in this game. All this arguing takes a toll on me.

KtWt, kudos for making an interesting thread where we can all share our opinions respectfully. Thanks to anyone who read this all the way through.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Well, I think Enslaved had that problem a bit with the 'Ninja Theory showing us what we wanted to see' because except for the first trailer, it didn't really dive into the whole concept that Monkey was being enslaved against will. The later trailers played it that they were buddies on an adventure. The thing with trailers are, they don't paint the full picture. In fact if you were to work it right you could make a trailer that is misleading to the actual material.

On number 1, is that really a bad thing? There was a lot of backlash so it is understandable why they would tweak things around a bit (also gettng him to dump the smokes even). So here is the question you have to ask yourself: Why critic the game for changing Dante to look more like the original Dante (in facial appearance and personality) when that's what's most of us were angry about him lacking in the first place? Hyper's arguement on him not behaving like someone who was tortured doesn't make sense, because people react do differently to abuse. If you want a good example of that go watch the film Good Will Hunting, that featured a similar character that made wise-crack comments and acted much like Dante in a way, but he turned out to have suffered abuse from his father and was an orphan. So yes, maybe they did change him. But the anger in that character for what he's had done is still there and plays when he's fighting and mocks demons.

With number 2, well...I think that might be what fans are struggling to accept about the old games and what hasn't really hit them yet. So, forgive me if this sounds harsh, but it's the truth. =(

The original games, they're over.

Just like the old Tomb Raiders, I'm never going to see any of those anymore. Lara's gotten a full reboot now. And Silent Hills as well, their formula changed, no more adventures from James or Heather from the original games, even though they could've done it, they didn't. You think I'm not sad about that? Of course I am, I'm furious they've changed that series. If I'd had gotten into Devil May Cry before hand I think be upset about it too.

The sad thing you have to accept though is...nothing lasts forever. A game, a film, a tv series, they all end whether we want them to or not. But what about adaptations? How many times has Oliver Twist been redone? The Spiderman film remake recently, it's different from the first 3 films but is it bad off for that? Things change. It's hard to accept that change when DMC4 didn't go out on a high note (or maybe it did if you think about the way Dante, Trish and Lady burst through those doors guns blazing and smiling). But, you have to accept DmC is an adaptation of that series. Just like how the Sherlock Holmes gets new adaptations even after all these years. They're never going to be exactly the same.

If DmC fails, Devil May Cry is gone. You may never see it again. Just as much as I keep hoping for the old Silent Hill formula, it's not going to get a continuation. Regardless a new adaptation on something isn't stomping on what made the original so great. It's just a new take that some will or won't like, whatever that series might be.

So um...please don't eat me :'( *holds up flower*

Just one problem here......Capcom or Itsuno themselves said they still have plans to continue the old DMC after this.

IMO I think DmC...though many DMC fans may be against it.....could attract more fans for DMC......Capcom themselves said the whole point of this game is to attract more fans or attention in the West (mainly Europe which appears to have the lowest DMC sales)...Capcom themselves knew how much controversy and publicity rebooting and even changing the design of Dante to be more western and modernized and the DMC in general will get them. In fact I think this game is the most attention DMC has ever gotten, granted DMC has gotten a lot of attention.....the worst publicity is no publicity....think about if this was just another DMC5....it would've had as much attention as NG3 or MGR....just another really good looking game....now its getting more attention than MGR and 90% of the other games coming out soon....if you look at it a certain light.

However, their plan is working.......now there is a lot of people such as myself and many others who never played DMC or even heard about it picked up and the HD collection (and maybe even 4) and now like it.....some of those new fans may not like DmC but now they're DMC fans.....so even if the game barely makes the 2 million mark by the end of the year.....than what Capcom does is advertise DMC in DmC in many ways like I know for a fact at the end of DmC....Dante hair turns white and his coat turns red and he opens his shop and becomes the badass demon slayer we all know or close or even have like how DMC4 had a summary of the past 3 DMC games this game might do the same and quickly explains all of DMC so that anyone who played DmC and is new to DMC can easily pick up any DMC game and get into them or easily get into say........DMC5.....or any other future DMC game and even DmC.......all in all whether this game bombs or sells really well (which it will those who say the game won't even if it is sh*t compared to past DMC games....its gotten better publicity and even won many awards just for its demo and almost everyone with just 4 people who is still hating played the game played the demo and has nothing but good reviews to say) in the end Capcom earned new potential customers for DMC5 and imagine when Capcom announces a DMC5.......imagine how the fanbase will be after dealing with DmC.....now its much larger thanks to DmC and even DmC haters will be lining up for a DMC5.

Dante47

If what SN says is true, then that's a bit depressing, don't you think? All the hard work NT has put forth, just so it can be ignored and only used so Capcom can get more money? Wow, just wow.

EllDawn

If what SN says is true, then that's a bit depressing, don't you think? All the hard work NT has put forth, just so it can be ignored and only used so Capcom can get more money? Wow, just wow.

That's what I'm worried is going to happen.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!

The sad fact is for if your a DmC fan or like it more than DMC.....after DmC the smarter move would be make a DMC5 cause plenty of fans would still want a DMC5 more even if they game was great and if they carry over some ideas they got from DmC like its better weapon switching system and yeah. The main reason why DmC is just to mainly hype up people about DMC...before DMC was just another pretty good game Capcom made and was still outshined by more westerny like titles. This game not only stimulated more interest in newcomers but even the fans themselves or just people who people played DMC and liked it.....now a DMC5 would probably be the highest money maker at this point.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
The sad fact is for if your a DmC fan or like it more than DMC.....after DmC the smarter move would be make a DMC5 cause plenty of fans would still want a DMC5 more even if they game was great and if they carry over some ideas they got from DmC like its better weapon switching system and yeah. The main reason why DmC is just to mainly hype up people about DMC...before DMC was just another pretty good game Capcom made and was still outshined by more westerny like titles. This game not only stimulated more interest in newcomers but even the fans themselves or just people who people played DMC and liked it.....now a DMC5 would probably be the highest money maker at this point.
But what about the people who want to see a DmC 2? I'm sure if the game was a sucsess people would probably want a continuation of NT's DmC.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
I don't get it, what would be the point of having two versions of a series still running at the same time? If Capcom pulled a stunt like that then it really would show they just want nothing more than money money money and were using Ninja Theory for their own benefits. They'd be worse than Vergil using Dante! :'(

Forget DMC5, i'm more interested in DmC and a DmC2. Capcom so much as announces a DMC5 after DmC's release, I'll make them wear the cone of shame!
Cone-of-Shame.png

You make a new adaptation, you STICK with it!

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I don't get it, what would be the point of having two versions of a series still running at the same time? If Capcom pulled a stunt like that then it really would show they just want nothing more than money money money and were using Ninja Theory for their own benefits. They'd be worse than Vergil using Dante! :'(

Forget DMC5, i'm more interested in DmC and a DmC2. Capcom so much as announces a DMC5 after DmC's release, I'll make them wear the cone of shame!
Cone-of-Shame.png

You make a new adaptation, you STICK with it!

In all fairness they should've finished DMC before they made this.....the whole point of this game is just to make DMC more known to the public and that they've already succeeded at. If they made a DMC5.......it would've been the same as DMC3 & DMC4.....in terms of sales.

In all fairness Capcom would'nt need a reboot if it wasn't for God of War when you think about. DMC1 comes out and its a multimillion best seller and is well known by a lot of gamers as the king of Hack n Slash Beat Em Ups....God of War a cheap DMC western knock off comes out and attracts more attention in the west with its western feel and above Mortal Kombat brutality and gore that everyone likes as well as Neanderthal sex scenes, over usage of QTE, and whoa where am I going with this.............I don't know anymore.

So your saying Capcom can't handle 2 DMC franchises......so I guess 7 different MegaMan series never happened.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
In all fairness they should've finished DMC before they made this.....the whole point of this game is just to make DMC more known to the public and that they've already succeeded at. If they made a DMC5.......it would've been the same as DMC3 & DMC4.....in terms of sales.

In all fairness Capcom would'nt need a reboot if it wasn't for God of War when you think about. DMC1 comes out and its a multimillion best seller and is well known by a lot of gamers as the king of Hack n Slash Beat Em Ups....God of War a cheap DMC western knock off comes out and attracts more attention in the west with its western feel and above Mortal Kombat brutality and gore that everyone likes as well as Neanderthal sex scenes, over usage of QTE, and whoa where am I going with this.............I don't know anymore.

So your saying Capcom can't handle 2 DMC franchises......so I guess 7 different MegaMan series never happened.

Well, I'll still make them wear the cone of shame for inventing a terrible character like Rachel!

rachael.jpg

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

And true, they should've finished it. But it feels like making a DMC5 would be late =(

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Well, I'll still make them wear the cone of shame for inventing a terrible character like Rachel!

rachael.jpg

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

And true, they should've finished it. But it feels like making a DMC5 would be late =(

For Capcom being late isn't a word in their vocabulary.....it took them over 10 years to make a MegaMan Legends 3......until they cancelled it.

Also where is Rachel from???

KtWtWiS43

I guess I'll just answer the OP's main question as best I can:

DmC Dante,(Dino) is severely hated for a variety of reasons. For one, he's being touted as the Dante we all know and love; although Dante meant different things to different people. Since all we have seen from Dino is some vulgarity and some anger, it is safe to assume his character will be built around it, I suppose.

On the other hand, he represents an uncomfortable change to some people. He represents the looming fear that Capcom will kill the beloved Devil May Cry franchise that we've grown up with; and he represents the idea that the happy-go-lucky originality that represented Devil May Cry will be replaced by a character who looks too much like a Hollywood makeover and not like the videogame character they're used to.
To some, DmC is the sum of its horrible Public Relations endeavours. Special thanks to Tameem and Alex there. I'm not going to go into it right now, but I'm willing to wager that the PR mistakes were just that: mistakes. This wouldn't have been blown out to this proportion if those two had chosen some better phrases earlier on.
A video confirmed that Dino would be a character in the new Sony brawler. That video got a ton of hate ONLY because he was in it. Yet another video showed a press conference showcasing Lost Planet 3 and DmC. That video got a ton of hate because DmC was in it. Because more than anything DmC represents what it's not.
At some point, I hope there's something that the Pro and the Anti-DmC camp can enjoy in this game. All this arguing takes a toll on me.

KtWt, kudos for making an interesting thread where we can all share our opinions respectfully. Thanks to anyone who read this all the way through.

Of course man, I'm really enjoying being able to watch everyone respond respectfully. I'll admit I'm pretty die hard against the reboot, but I really wanted to see other people's thoughts about it and what they are taking away from it which I feel is enriching on both sides to be able to share all out ideas. Honestly, the PR fiasco Tameem started is a really interesting point, and does actually factor into a least some of my hate about the reboot. The disrespect was a big nail in the coffin for the project, but either way I'm gunna be renting DmC and I will be playing it myself regardless, so hopefully NT can find some way to turn this all around for me, if at all. Onward brethren!

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
I'm starting to wonder again if it is Tim in that trailer. Does he have twitter, maybe we could ask ^^

For Capcom being late isn't a word in their vocabulary.....it took them over 10 years to make a MegaMan Legends 3......until they cancelled it.

Also where is Rachel from???

From the pits of henti hell, THAT is where Rachel is from ;_;

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
People dislike the new dante because he signifies a change in the franchise that fans dont like and they fear that the franchise they loved will be pushed aside and never return.

I know Capcom and Itsuno has said otherwise but fans have lack of trust in capcom after the reboot announcement so its a wait and see with a side of skepticism.

plus this a franchise that people loved and have a emotional investment with so they dont want to deal with upstart new fans telling them to deal with the changes.

Top Bottom