• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why do people hate DmC Dante so much?

Why do you like DmC Dante?

• Total voters

KtWtWiS43

Check out the video "Why DmC's Dante is a Bad Character," by HyperBitHero on YouTube. He does a well thought out critique of his thoughts on the new Dante. Kind of got me thinking, what do fans that support the reboot think about the new Dante? What are your reasons for liking or disliking him?

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Check out the video "Why DmC's Dante is a Bad Character," by HyperBitHero on YouTube. He does a well thought out critique of his thoughts on the new Dante. Kind of got me thinking, what do fans that support the reboot think about the new Dante. What are your reasons for liking or disliking him?

I never liked that video, it frustrated me lol.

Put it this way, how can you fully judge a character for a game you still haven't played and seen all of yet? I mean you can speculate, but you can't ever be sure. It wasn't until the recent trailer that I found out this new Dante had a serious side to him (that shot with him holding the photograph said plenty to me). But there's probably still more under the surface we don't get about him, same going for Vergil and all the other characters featured in the game.

Hyper got too hyper and jumped the gun, he should've waited until the game was released to make a video like that.Maybe I didn't like DmC Dante at first, but I got won over eventually. I think what they're doing with him is good by creating a fresh back story and making him more of a character you can understand or relate to. People really have to stop comparing it and just like the game for what it is.

Railazel

Generally the same reasons as HyperBitHero. He's not a well- done character. His overall design is radical, understandably, but what NT says about him and what he's supposed to be don't match up with his actions. He's supposed to hate demons and enjoy killing them but the most hatred I heard come out of his mouth is "Demon scum..." which itself is doesn't give much of a sense of hatred but, rather, a high form of disliking them; basically the equivalent of dissing a person you don't like under your breath. When face-to-face with them, he just ridicules them, not really expressing any form of hate or anger.
To top it off, his sense of humor is horrible. While it seems appropriate during some moments, it's just seems uncreative or uninspired in others. It's like he's caught between trying to be himself and trying to be the old Dante, and the end result is him just being a jerk to almost everyone he meets.

Put it this way, how can you fully judge a character for a game you still haven't played and seen all of yet? I mean you can speculate, but you can't ever be sure. It wasn't until the recent trailer that I found out this new Dante had a serious side to him (that shot with him holding the photograph said plenty to me). But there's probably still more under the surface we don't get about him, same going for Vergil and all the other characters featured in the game.

Hyper got too hyper and jumped the gun, he should've waited until the game was released to make a video like that.

Maybe I didn't like DmC Dante at first, but I got won over eventually. I think what they're doing with him is good by creating a fresh back story and making him more of a character you can understand or relate to. People really have to stop comparing it and just like the game for what it is.

The point of pre- release trailers is to give a sense of what the game and the characters are going to be like. So making assumptions about the characters and creating expectations for them based on those trailers is perfectly fine.

So far, Dante just seems to get worse to me. I can't even appreciate moments like when he looked at the picture of his family because, previously, he had shown that he didn't care about them (or, at that very least, his own mother).

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
I really don't get how I am supposed to relate with new Dante,

let me put it this way, the person I related best to in the DMC series was Nero(Despite my dislike of him.) and DMC3 Dante

I've seen supporters of the reboot make fun of people who can't relate to new Dante saying "They can't relate to him because he actually gets laid.", and this is actually partially TRUE. I can't relate to him because he is a walking STD. I'm actually saving my virginity for someone I love and hold dear, not every last chick I meet at the beer bar.

To top it off, like Railazel said, New Dante boils down to being a jerk, basically if New Dante was stripped of his powers and weapons, I would run up to him and kick him in the balls before giving him the finger, and remember the Poison trailer, I loved that trailer, but the amount of "F you", was down-right ridiculous.

Yet again I say this, to be honest, the game itself looks good, but the character and story just turns me away.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
People still hate the new Dante? U MAD?!:troll:

I've gotta say this new Dante doesn't bother me anymore. Yeah, I miss the old Dante. But this Dante feels more raw.
So, I wasn't to impressed with the swearing in the 'Secret ingredient' trailer. But, hopefully not every single cutscene in the game will have swearing. BTW, The trailer introducing Bob was hilarious. It probably made me look at this game in a different way.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Since this is obviously a thread I'm not allowed to be in because of my love for new Dante, I shall leave two things;

One
terms-and-conditions_o_682485.gif

And two;
http://devilmaycry.org/community/th...he-new-dante-or-dmc-in-general-read-it.10789/

DevilsAdvocate1234

Since this is obviously a thread I'm not allowed to be in because of my love for new Dante, I shall leave two things;

One

And two;
http://devilmaycry.org/community/th...he-new-dante-or-dmc-in-general-read-it.10789/

Just throwing this out there, but the point of the thread is to discuss all of our opinions about the new Dante, good AND bad. At the top of the thread KtWtWiS doesn't explicity state his opinion on the matter. So let's just all discuss what we think. It's OKAY to have different opinions

KtWtWiS43

One

And two;
http://devilmaycry.org/community/threads/policy-about-new-threads-whose-only-reason-is-to-hate-the-new-dante-or-dmc-in-general-read-it.10789/[/quote]

No one is trying to seclude you from the thread! I for one am not a fan of the new Dante. But that shouldn't stop me from asking other people about why they do. To close myself off from other people's opinions would be ignorant wouldn't it? There is an option in the poll saying "He is an original well written character," after all. Nobody goes into conversations just to hate, best clear your head of that way of thinking so we can keep things clean!

some people just aren't willing to accept change:/

I agree, too much negative fan reaction is coming off people's inabililty to see the new Dante for what he is and make their decisions from there. There are people like that on both sides, but it's just silly when the main argument for being against the new look is: "He looks different." There are many other more logical ways of thinking than simply aesthetics. Though you gotta admit, Dante in DMC4 was a damn handsome devil am i rite?

Hyper got too hyper and jumped the gun, he should've waited until the game was released to make a video like that.Maybe I didn't like DmC Dante at first, but I got won over eventually. I think what they're doing with him is good by creating a fresh back story and making him more of a character you can understand or relate to. People really have to stop comparing it and just like the game for what it is.

That's a fair statement, "how can you fully judge a character for a game you still haven't played and seen all of yet?" Right now, we only see what Ninja Theory wants us to see. Everything they've released is in an effort to make new and old fans like Dante. So in actuality, we're supposed to judge DmC's Dante and make our own opinions. Unfortunately for Ninja Theory, this doesn't mean that all of the responses they get are going to be good. In my opinion, I think most of the negative response from the character, as shown in the video is because of two things.

1) There was a drastic change between the very first trailer for "DmC" when compared to more recent ones, where his new attitude and looks do seem to model themselves more closely to the old Dante model. If it's unfair to compare the reboot to past games, it should be fine to at least compare the game to itself. I'll be the first to say that when the trailer first came out, I was skeptical, but I was also kind of excited. Sure I am a diehard fan of the old series, but a fresh look at the series seemed initially inticing. Instead of running with it though, it became clear as the look and style progressed, that NT seemed more interested in cutting back some of the negative backlash, then to create a totally new character, which may have actually worked!

2) The MAIN reason why there's alot of backlash is that if DmC is successful, fans of the series may never see the Dante we love in a game again. You can see how Capcom is putting everything into weeding out the old series. The spot in the upcoming "Playstation All-Stars" brawler that was earned by Hideki Kamiya's Dante, has been quickly replaced by Tameem's Dante; and strangely enough, before DmC has even come out. Even the upcoming Devil May Cry movie has been rewritten to be based on the new game. Again, before the game has come out. It's all coming off as the start of one big cash cow, and the cost is that diehard fans who helped support the series in the first place, are being sidelined by all this "new Dante," fuss.

People still hate the new Dante? U MAD?!:troll:

I've gotta say this new Dante doesn't bother me anymore. Yeah, I miss the old Dante. But this Dante feels more raw.
So, I wasn't to impressed with the swearing in the 'Secret ingredient' trailer. But, hopefully not every single cutscene in the game will have swearing. BTW, The trailer introducing Bob was hilarious. It probably made me look at this game in a different way.

"I've gotta say this new Dante doesn't bother me anymore," I'm sure you can see why Ninja Theory has waited so long to release the game! People seem not to care, or have grown used to seeing the new Dante's image. I do agree that his character comes off as more raw, but if DmC is ever going to win me over, I hope to see a little more than that.

A staple of the old Dante was that he always seemed to be a little closed off. He'd joke and taunt and make fun of his enemy, but inside it seemed pretty clear that he was battling some intense emotional demons. Dante in DMC1 for example, one of my favorite line is when he's confronting Trish "Don't come any closer you devil!" He'd joke lightheartedly to even his most fearsome enemies, but when his traumas resulting from his mother were brought to the forefront, we'd see a very different Dante then the way he normally carries himself. It brought a complexity to the character that the reboot would be smart to emulate. The reboot Dante has been sort of typecasted into this "everyday," persona who is "the only one who can see the truth," as the video puts it, and honestly, that would be so boring to me. The swearing and everything just comes off as childish. Ninja Theory's gotta make this new Dante a little more well rounded in my opinion.

I really don't get how I am supposed to relate with new Dante,

let me put it this way, the person I related best to in the DMC series was Nero and DMC3 Dante (Despite my dislike of him.)

I've seen supporters of the reboot make fun of people who can't relate to new Dante saying "They can't relate to him because he actually gets laid.", and this is actually partially TRUE. I can't relate to him because he is a walking STD. I'm actually saving my virginity for someone I love and hold dear, not every last chick I meet at the beer bar.

To top it off, like Railazel said, New Dante boils down to being a jerk, basically if New Dante was stripped of his powers and weapons, I would run up to him and kick him in the balls before giving him the finger, and remember the Poison trailer, I loved that trailer, but the amount of "F you", was down-right ridiculous.

Yet again I say this, to be honest, the game itself looks good, but the character and story just turns me away.

Yah I have to agree, my main problem with the reboot Dante is that he seems to inherently have been written to appear similar to the old Dante, but without the personality, class, style, or personal conflicts that kept the character interesting to me over 4 games. Shame.

So far, Dante just seems to get worse to me. I can't even appreciate moments like when he looked at the picture of his family because, previously, he had shown that he didn't care about them (or, at that very least, his own mother).

In the end, this is the thing that I'm most afraid of. It's pretty clear what I think about the old series compared to the reboot, but when Ninja Theory is churning out a game that self sabotages itself with poor writing, I can't help but facepalm. I don't speak for everyone, but I certainly don't relish in my dislike for the reboot. It makes me sad, because I feel like this is the position that Ninja Theory has put me in. It's not any of our faults that Dante's characterization is poor, and nobody should feel lame or knock down anyone that disapproves of the reboot as a result.

I feel like I'm constantly looking on both sides of this blog everytime I'm here and there's reboot Dante to the left, and Devil May Cry 3 Dante to the right. *Look at DmC Dante, now back to me, now look at DmC Dante, and now back to me. That's right, it's me. The Dante your Dante should be like.*

pfizer

I haven't posted here in a while but I really wanna drop my two cents here.

Why do people hate DmC Dante? I think the most common reason is that they think he is uncouth and crude, as compared to Classic Dante who had a more clean cut sense of humor.

I, for one, see a lot of potential in him; he's at the beginning of his character arc, a prototype. Some people insist that DMC3 Dante is already this but he's really not; by the time we see DMC3 Dante, he's already wearing the red coat, already wielding the legendary sword, mostly already in touch with his demon powers, even if he hasn't exactly accepted the responsibility that comes with his heritage. Simply put, DMC3 Dante is like every other Dante in the series, just younger; its almost as if he was born wearing the red coat and talking down to demons. He's just as unflappable and invincible as he's always been, except this time he has an equally invincible brother to play off which I suppose gives him a bit more depth.

DmC Dante is a foul mouthed cocky bastard because at this point in his life, it's probably how he's learned to cope with the stress of constantly living under surveillance, with near constant threats to his life at every corner. Unlike DMC3 Dante, there's an underlying reason why he acts arrogant and brash. He's not outright spewing hatred at his enemies, he's opted instead to ridicule and laugh at them to show them that they're not going to win over him. Besides, as a kid being tortured by them, he's probably already figured out that showing weakness in front of them would just make things worse. DMC3 Dante acted the way he did because he's modeled after the typical Japanese shonen hero who mouths off to enemies and charges in guns blazing.

I'm actually intrigued by how DmC Dante will go through the story; how he finds his purpose and finally becomes the man he's supposed to be. I want to see him take his anger and desire for vengeance, and channel it into something more noble. A lot of people seem to just want Dante to kick ass and take names; not a bad thing at all, but I'd also like to see some depth in him beyond simply being a "badass". If the story is written well, it will hopefully show how "DmC Dante" becomes just "Dante".

DragonMaster2010

No one is trying to seclude you from the thread! I for one am not a fan of the new Dante. But that shouldn't stop me from asking other people about why they do. To close myself off from other people's opinions would be ignorant wouldn't it? There is an option in the poll saying "He is an original well written character," after all. Nobody goes into conversations just to hate, best clear your head of that way of thinking so we can keep things clean!
Oh. Sorry I didn't see the rest by the time I posted that. Like I said; Didn't read.^_^

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
That's a fair statement, "how can you fully judge a character for a game you still haven't played and seen all of yet?" Right now, we only see what Ninja Theory wants us to see. Everything they've released is in an effort to make new and old fans like Dante. So in actuality, we're supposed to judge DmC's Dante and make our own opinions. Unfortunately for Ninja Theory, this doesn't mean that all of the responses they get are going to be good. In my opinion, I think most of the negative response from the character, as shown in the video is because of two things.

1) There was a drastic change between the very first trailer for "DmC" when compared to more recent ones, where his new attitude and looks do seem to model themselves more closely to the old Dante model. If it's unfair to compare the reboot to past games, it should be fine to at least compare the game to itself. I'll be the first to say that when the trailer first came out, I was skeptical, but I was also kind of excited. Sure I am a diehard fan of the old series, but a fresh look at the series seemed initially inticing. Instead of running with it though, it became clear as the look and style progressed, that NT seemed more interested in cutting back some of the negative backlash, then to create a totally new character, which may have actually worked!

2) The MAIN reason why there's alot of backlash is that if DmC is successful, fans of the series may never see the Dante we love in a game again. You can see how Capcom is putting everything into weeding out the old series. The spot in the upcoming "Playstation All-Stars" brawler that was earned by Hideki Kamiya's Dante, has been quickly replaced by Tameem's Dante; and strangely enough, before DmC has even come out. Even the upcoming Devil May Cry movie has been rewritten to be based on the new game. Again, before the game has come out. It's all coming off as the start of one big cash cow, and the cost is that diehard fans who helped support the series in the first place, are being sidelined by all this "new Dante," fuss.

Well, I think Enslaved had that problem a bit with the 'Ninja Theory showing us what we wanted to see' because except for the first trailer, it didn't really dive into the whole concept that Monkey was being enslaved against will. The later trailers played it that they were buddies on an adventure. The thing with trailers are, they don't paint the full picture. In fact if you were to work it right you could make a trailer that is misleading to the actual material.

On number 1, is that really a bad thing? There was a lot of backlash so it is understandable why they would tweak things around a bit (also gettng him to dump the smokes even). So here is the question you have to ask yourself: Why critic the game for changing Dante to look more like the original Dante (in facial appearance and personality) when that's what's most of us were angry about him lacking in the first place? Hyper's arguement on him not behaving like someone who was tortured doesn't make sense, because people react do differently to abuse. If you want a good example of that go watch the film Good Will Hunting, that featured a similar character that made wise-crack comments and acted much like Dante in a way, but he turned out to have suffered abuse from his father and was an orphan. So yes, maybe they did change him. But the anger in that character for what he's had done is still there and plays when he's fighting and mocks demons.

With number 2, well...I think that might be what fans are struggling to accept about the old games and what hasn't really hit them yet. So, forgive me if this sounds harsh, but it's the truth. =(

The original games, they're over.

Just like the old Tomb Raiders, I'm never going to see any of those anymore. Lara's gotten a full reboot now. And Silent Hills as well, their formula changed, no more adventures from James or Heather from the original games, even though they could've done it, they didn't. You think I'm not sad about that? Of course I am, I'm furious they've changed that series. If I'd had gotten into Devil May Cry before hand I think be upset about it too.

The sad thing you have to accept though is...nothing lasts forever. A game, a film, a tv series, they all end whether we want them to or not. But what about adaptations? How many times has Oliver Twist been redone? The Spiderman film remake recently, it's different from the first 3 films but is it bad off for that? Things change. It's hard to accept that change when DMC4 didn't go out on a high note (or maybe it did if you think about the way Dante, Trish and Lady burst through those doors guns blazing and smiling). But, you have to accept DmC is an adaptation of that series. Just like how the Sherlock Holmes gets new adaptations even after all these years. They're never going to be exactly the same.

If DmC fails, Devil May Cry is gone. You may never see it again. Just as much as I keep hoping for the old Silent Hill formula, it's not going to get a continuation. Regardless a new adaptation on something isn't stomping on what made the original so great. It's just a new take that some will or won't like, whatever that series might be.

So um...please don't eat me :'( *holds up flower*

DragonMaster2010

Well, I think Enslaved had that problem a bit with the 'Ninja Theory showing us what we wanted to see' because except for the first trailer, it didn't really dive into the whole concept that Monkey was being enslaved against will. The later trailers played it that they were buddies on an adventure. The thing with trailers are, they don't paint the full picture. In fact if you were to work it right you could make a trailer that is misleading to the actual material.

On number 1, is that really a bad thing? There was a lot of backlash so it is understandable why they would tweak things around a bit (also gettng him to dump the smokes even). So here is the question you have to ask yourself: Why critic the game for changing Dante to look more like the original Dante (in facial appearance and personality) when that's what's most of us were angry about him lacking in the first place? Hyper's arguement on him not behaving like someone who was tortured doesn't make sense, because people react do differently to abuse. If you want a good example of that go watch the film Good Will Hunting, that featured a similar character that made wise-crack comments and acted much like Dante in a way, but he turned out to have suffered abuse from his father and was an orphan. So yes, maybe they did change him. But the anger in that character for what he's had done is still there and plays when he's fighting and mocks demons.

With number 2, well...I think that might be what fans are struggling to accept about the old games and what hasn't really hit them yet. So, forgive me if this sounds harsh, but it's the truth. =(

The original games, they're over.

Just like the old Tomb Raiders, I'm never going to see any of those anymore. Lara's gotten a full reboot now. And Silent Hills as well, their formula changed, no more adventures from James or Heather from the original games, even though they could've done it, they didn't. You think I'm not sad about that? Of course I am, I'm furious they've changed that series. If I'd had gotten into Devil May Cry before hand I think be upset about it too.

The sad thing you have to accept though is...nothing lasts forever. A game, a film, a tv series, they all end whether we want them to or not. But what about adaptations? How many times has Oliver Twist been redone? The Spiderman film remake recently, it's different from the first 3 films but is it bad off for that? Things change. It's hard to accept that change when DMC4 didn't go out on a high note (or maybe it did if you think about the way Dante, Trish and Lady burst through those doors guns blazing and smiling). But, you have to accept DmC is an adaptation of that series. Just like how the Sherlock Holmes gets new adaptations even after all these years. They're never going to be exactly the same.

If DmC fails, Devil May Cry is gone. You may never see it again. Just as much as I keep hoping for the old Silent Hill formula, it's not going to get a continuation. Regardless a new adaptation on something isn't stomping on what made the original so great. It's just a new take that some will or won't like, whatever that series might be.

So um...please don't eat me :'( *holds up flower*

Alittleacorn...I think I love you.^_^

ninjaa93

well its not just him after captivate i remember a preview saying the same thing along the lines of"his since of humor comes off a bit harsh" the same article reveals dante says "get your hands of my ****ing trailer" to the hunter demon lol

Razyel

Soul Reaver
Wait what? How can you love a character that has about as much of a backstory as a Character in Tekken, over a character that is actually human and has normal mood swings?

The only time I saw an actual character development in DMC was in DMC3's end, Trish in DMC doesn't count, that was poor imitation of char. development.

Razyel

Soul Reaver
Just saying that you have no right to criticise the new Dante because of "bad writing" when the Old Dante was the sum of his one-liners...

EllDawn

I remember seeing some people say they were losing interest in the series because Capcom wasn't giving anything worth while. We get a reboot for a series that was losing fans, only for them to come back and say there was nothing wrong with the original series.

In my opinion, people hate it because it's messing with something they had grown used to. As was already said, people can't accept change. It's one of those damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situations. If Capcom had continued with the original series, there would have been complaints about there being nothing original. With the reboot, it all boils down to it being too different and everyone keeps comparing it to the original series.

I like the changes and don't want this Dante to become like the original, both in looks and personality. They should steer a little farther away from the Dante everyone knows, in my opinion.

KenKen

Gorram Browncoat
Given that this is an origin story, isn't it supposed to focus character development (Dante becoming more mature) more than a completely developed and lovable character (a la DMC4 Dante)?

Top Bottom