• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What was the real reason for DMC being rebooted?

VergilNeroDante

Well im just stuck on the original since i grew up with it, thats why i dont like the change, i noticed Vergil didnt change much because he wasnt important enough to deserve a different deisgn, but whether or not im not going to by the game, and thats that. Nothing will change my mindset for this game, being biased is on my own terms which it shouldnt affect you getting the game.

YamatoWielder

Protector of Mankind
...NT has already gone into more detail with the reboot's plotline and giving more insite as to this Dante's past and how he got where he is. Yes, Itsuno has been a lousy producer, but Kamiya, to be fair...isn't that much better, because when he had a chance to redo a DMC style game again...he just remade DMC with a witch instead of Dante...which talks and acts like Dante. The problem has been that the japanese writers favor simplistic reusable plotlines to cut down on their workload. I mean, I love DMC4 as a game, but the storyline was Bleach guest starring Dante, right down to the actors. DMC2, ironically, TRIED to tell a different story...and got panned by fans for that attempt. It's really a case of damned if you try differnt, damned if you just recycle.

And that is where NT is TRYING to tell something refreshing by re-examining Dante and Vergil's origins. And the game play is not "halfassed watered down", they used Unreal engine because they were heavily familiar with it, and did not have the time to learn MT Framework and still put DmC out when Capcom set their deadlines.

Spot on! I like DMC4, but let's face it: the story itself is more like a generic shounen/romance anime, not to mention that Nero and Kyrie's voice actors were also in Bleach. XD

And I fully agree on Bayonetta. IMO, it feels like you're playing DMC but some differences. I've played the demo and I'm really enjoying it. I have no regrets. :)

Well im just stuck on the original since i grew up with it, thats why i dont like the change, i noticed Vergil didnt change much because he wasnt important enough to deserve a different deisgn, but whether or not im not going to by the game, and thats that. Nothing will change my mindset for this game, being biased is on my own terms which it shouldnt affect you getting the game.

We all grew up on the original, myself included, but I'm not an a$$ as someone who wants to act as a childish schmuck who just want to rant on what he doesn't like. I'm open for change just like everyone here. You're not going to buy the game but...

What is the reason why you made this thread? It's because you just want to incite HATE. You didn't need a thread like this just to say "I'm not going to buy this game". AFAIK, you're on the same level as the Youtube and GameFAQs people. It seems you just want to incite a flame war. Ugh.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
If you're so terrified of change then just go play something else. No one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to buy it but I'm glad Devil May Cry is doing something fresh this time around. I don't want to play the same thing over and over again. If it does that then it goes on the same path those terrible army games do because those things never change and are all just awful. I see all the nods and homages it pays to the previous titles and this is a welcome change of pace in my eyes. As long as it isn't butchered then I have no problem with change. From the looks of it this has the potential to be one of the best in the series. I actually want to see NT suceed because I'm not going to be dismissive to all the work that is being put into it just because it differs. It's just narrowed minded fanboys who have shot this down since day one like children not getting their way and it's ridiculous. I mean my favorite is the very 1st game and I too have been a fan since the very beginning so the grief I see DmC gets is quite frankly not deserved. All the hate it recieved really just opened my eyes to how shallow and narrow minded the DMC fanbase can be.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
I'm one of teh first to admit, me reaction to the 2010 TGS teaser had me sick with fear for the franchise. The exact reaction Capcom PREDICTED they'd get for the radical changes they had directed NT to undergo on the game. Now, I'd love to see the concept art for what they had drafted up originally that was more in line to classic Dante before they got told "...why are we handing this to you if you're just gonn'a draft up the same Dante?" But I'm giving this a chance, and after the demo, I'm buying this game for sure with my samurai pack and free Vergil DLC. you call us "fanny boys" for being open to giving it a chance, and yet you biasly and with much vitrol bash it at every turm like the consumate "fanboy" that gives the term a bad rap. So, maybe you should rethink your way of stating your opinion, VND, and reflect that maybe you are being the kind of fan that is giving us reason to be defensive. We love both lines at this point, you seem to be trying to force everyone to HATE the reimagining, which, btw, I have to conceed the series DESPERATLY needed after it got turned into a generic anime with DMC4.

VergilNeroDante

Well either way i wasnt forcing everyone to hate on it, that just on me, whether or not, they might do DMC 5 which just might surpass them all if they took the time to make everything. So i still have hope for that at least.

VergilNeroDante

Im willing to just wait if need be, regardless, you all can buy the game. If DMC 5 happens i will be happy and will gladly buy that since i will agree, i can be narrowminded and have my mind set on the original alone. Not everyone will agree with each other, but getting a possible support for DMC 5 would be nice but i can see where that would cause people to be skeptical about it since its previous entries ****ed people off.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Point is, the reboot isnt needed, t.

Neither was SMC4, but Capcom did it to do something different.

Well seeing how you all delude yourself with a game that is suppose to be more mature and more entertaining from the original, if you ask me you are all trying to find ways to keep yourself to buy this game. Regardless this game is nothing like what Devil May Cry really is. You can keep joking yourself but in the end you will know the truth. Again this game doesnt deserve the title nor anything related to the game series, but then again its name has been tainted for obvious mistakes and reasons. This game look flat and not interesting.

You're acting very bias. So just some people like the game and you don't, they're deluded? You're sounding very immature right now. If you don't like the game, fine. But don't say sh*t about people who do like the game, because that's just like back in 2005 when the DMC1 fans were hating on those who liked DMC3.

Don't be an ass.

The problem I have is his human counter-part is now angel, giving him no reason to care or sympathise for the human race. His father being a demon and loving a human is why Dante feels the way he does. It isn't just the moral good/bad that comes from being half human, but being one of the humans. When demons kill or talk bad about them, they are also, in a sense, doing it to him. Taking out the human aspect to Dante, his character makes no sense

And yet it was all good with Sparda being FULL DEMON and yet still felt love for humans so much that HE MARRIED ONE?

VergilNeroDante

Better to love a human than being a tied up slaved bitch IMO. Since the reboot shows Sparda in the state, apparently he isnt all that great from his original counterpart but whos to say he might not be better then again i doubt it. Anyways being immature is something i do, whether you would understand the meaning behind it or not, its your call, a lame excuse i can seeing coming this way indeed. I just feel the way i do. "If you hear someone ranting about your likings, just ignore them because that wont stop them no matter what you say."

DragonMaster2010

Better to love a human than being a tied up slaved bitch IMO. Since the reboot shows Sparda in the state, apparently he isnt all that great from his original counterpart but whos to say he might not be better then again i doubt it. Anyways being immature is something i do, whether you would understand the meaning behind it or not, its your call, a lame excuse i can seeing coming this way indeed. I just feel the way i do. "If you hear someone ranting about your likings, just ignore them because that wont stop them no matter what you say."

If you believe that then don't get all bitchy when people like the game. Also, don't change the subject here. You said now that Dante's angel and demon, he can't love humans, but when I bring up Sparda, you don't answer my question.

What's up with that?

DragonMaster2010

The reason for the reboot is Crapcom has no talent anymore for developing great games.
They're looking elsewhere for talent to develop games for them.
And half the marking is done for EmoMayCry because it's piggy backing off the original DevilMayCry name, & comes off as a poorly put together wanna be at best.

I'm more of a Bayonetta gamer but I agree with the others.
The original DevilMayCry titles were incredible, & EmoMayCry is a mush of a billion other games put together sloppily.
It's by far NO DevilMayCry 5, it should've went with it's own name instead of stealing the names of another.

But then fanboys would cry foul at how "It steals from DMC."

And you say "it's a mush from other games" yet you ignore how the DMC series as a whole has copied other series as well.

what with Dante having a color patern and backstory much like Inuyasha, or how SMC4 was a complete slop fest of Bleach. Or how Bayonetta copied God of War with the chain weapon, and SMC4 with everything else gameplay wise.

Dante47

And how many games does EmoMayCry mimic ?
I don't care if they copy other titles, i only care when they do it poorly.
Graphics aside EmoMayCry's is poorly done.
YES it was just a demo but WOW the gameplay, dialog, character charisma was poorly done.
It's a sloppy mess of other titles.
I thought we were passed terms like "Emo May Cry?"

Dante47

If you believe that then don't get all bitchy when people like the game. Also, don't change the subject here. You said now that Dante's angel and demon, he can't love humans, but when I bring up Sparda, you don't answer my question.

What's up with that?
That's a good point.
If Dante is half chaotic good, and half chaotic evil, shouldn't he be likely to side with the humans like his father did if his father comes from a chaotic evil race?

Dante47

You're insulted... by a video game?

Anyway, these "shells" of characters are no more empty than any character in Devil May Cry 4.
Kyrie, Nero, and even Dante were boring and didn't progress in terms of character development and it especially didn't continue the series overall story.

Also, didn't Devil May Cry (especially DMC3) take heavy story elements from anime? Notably, Inuyasha?
Essentially, the whole twin brothers plot point was pulled right out of Inuyasha.

So, since this series is already pulsing with originality, what is it that DmC mimics?

Nekodark

@Dante47
You should not engage in a convo with someone who sounds like they want to start something and childish with front that screams 'look at me' also their avatar and sig are disturbing as well as trying to get attention....

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Oh & CosplayDante is so much better how?
By looking like he should be curled up in a dark corner after an all night cutting himself session.
Yea so much better.
Oh yea so much character development & progression, an F-YOU shouting match between him & a thousand year old demon.
Soooooo much character development & progression.
EmoMayCry mimics
Castlevania Lords of Shadow
Bayonetta
HeavenlySword.
Bleach.
Ninja Gaiden.
Shadow Of The Damned.
Dante's Inferno.
OH & hybrid heaven
d230127d1c8646bddc6bff77ec467c53.jpg
I don't care if a game mimics others, i just don't want sloppy results.​
Oh & CosplayDante is so much better how?
By looking like he should be curled up in a dark corner after an all night cutting himself session.
Yea so much better.
Oh yea so much character development & progression, an F-YOU shouting match between him & a thousand year old demon.
Soooooo much character development & progression.
EmoMayCry mimics
Castlevania Lords of Shadow
Bayonetta
HeavenlySword.
Bleach.
Ninja Gaiden.
Shadow Of The Damned.
Dante's Inferno.
And others.
OH & hybrid heaven
d230127d1c8646bddc6bff77ec467c53.jpg
I don't care if a game mimics others, i just don't want sloppy results.​
You're being silly. I don't see how this Dante is "emo." He's not sulking in a corner bitching about trivial things and he doesn't even have an emo style. If anything his older look would be considered more emo ish I guess. Plus you can't sit there and act like Devil May Cry had fleshed out and developed characters. This reboot is actually giving them that. Dante was very cheesy and corny in previous games and I never really thought he was cool to be honest. He only said **** once talking to that demon and it wasn't a big deal. I'm 20 years old and swear myself. He's not excessively doing it like you're trying to claim he is. Plus look at Vergil this time around. He isn't one dimensional and boring. I never cared much for Vergil and quite frankly I don't understand where the love for him even comes from. He's not a well developed character at all.

YamatoWielder

Protector of Mankind
You're being silly. I don't see how this Dante is "emo." He's not sulking in a corner bitching about trivial things and he doesn't even have an emo style. If anything his older look would be considered more emo ish I guess. Plus you can't sit there and act like Devil May Cry had fleshed out and developed characters. This reboot is actually giving them that. Dante was very cheesy and corny in previous games and I never really thought he was cool to be honest. He only said **** once talking to that demon and it wasn't a big deal. I'm 20 years old and swear myself. He's not excessively doing it like you're trying to claim he is. Plus look at Vergil this time around. He isn't one dimensional and boring. I never cared much for Vergil and quite frankly I don't understand where the love for him even comes from. He's not a well developed character at all.

This.

It seems that people are stupid these days. Fact is that the guy you're replying has a brain that was the same level as from Youtube and GameFAQs, which every sane mind can cringe at that.

@Dante47
You should not engage in a convo with someone who sounds like they want to start something and childish with front that screams 'look at me' also their avatar and sig are disturbing as well as trying to get attention....

LAWL, I have reported that guy. Also, the 'EmoMayCry' moniker doesn't make sense either, whether it was based on looks or what he does. Gritty and emotional =/= emo.

Please don't tell me that Craig's James Bond is also emo. XD

Dante47

Castlevania Lords of Shadow is a GOW rip-off.
Bayonetta is heavily based off DMC, how is it a bad thing DmC takes elements from it?
Heavenly Sword is NT developed, so how does that count?
All DMC games are Bleach rip-offs. Especially DMC4.
Ninja Gaiden? How? Because they're both Hack n' Slash games?
Shadow of the Damned? That's a psychological horror game with no resemblance to DmC...
Devil May Cry, if you are not aware, has always taken inspiration from The Divine Comedy.
Also, Hybrid Heaven is a damn action RPG.

To add further, Dante has said "f*ck" once. Besides, you're going to judge the story from gameplay presentations?

Top Bottom