• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What is your biggest fear in case of DMC5?

Veloran

DmC2.

Thankfully that's a mathematical impossibility.

Dude we had DMC2 which was a critical failure but got DMC3 anyway. DMC4 did very well but yet no DMC5. Never say never.

DmC and DMC2 sold exactly the same amount - And DMC2 had half the development cycle, and was released on one-third the platforms. And 1.7 in 2003 Capcom funbucks is a lot more than 1.7 in 2013 Capcom funbucks.

Last edited:

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
My fear? That they'll hire Bingo Morihashi. Again.

I seriously think that DMC4SE was seriously becoming Sengoku Basara, lots of characters, masses of enemies, those costumes and designs, the super bright colors and one chick that has lots of guns. Plus it had one combat song per character and that got annoying, fast.
99% of everything you're "afraid of" was sowed by DMC3 well before the fourth game was even a thing.

Miss being an isolationist running through levels solo, and only encountering a few other characters throughout the runtime of the game, the same way you scarcely ran into Trish, Lucia, or Nero Angelo in previous games? DMC3 took that away and swerved the attention of the game constantly to cram in characters like Lady, Jester, and Arkham.

Hate the over-the-type bishonen designs? DMC3 started that. The more practical and Western-style look of Dante and his contemporaries from 1 and 2 were replaced by Dante's skater clothes and Lady's military schoolgirl outfit. Lady was also established as the "chick with lots of guns" before she was ever playable in DMC4.

Hate the retarded swagger of the characters, things like Trish doing the golf pose for one of her moves, or Dante literally spending an entire minute to dance about dick-thrusting upon acquiring Lucifer? You can thank the cringe-worthy shift towards comedic and overblown cutscenes and character moments in DMC3 for ALL of that.

If there's a DMC5 I don't want it to look, play, sound, or feel like 4
Aesthetics, color palette, character depictions and story aside, one thing I would certainly object to bashing DMC4 for would be its combat. It was faster, more fluid, and more nuanced than any of the previous games combined...and it might've reached even higher levels of depth if its horrible development cycle hadn't deprived the game of having more weapons and enemy types. It had a much better camera, controls that didn't make someone as nimble as Dante seem arthritic and clunky, and an emphasis on aerial combos that, frankly, hasn't been surpassed by any hack-n'-slash game since, not even the gaming community's overrated deity in the form of the Bayonetta series.

Its production and story design can undergo many subjective changes...that much I can agree with. But the combat? That at least should stay.

berto

I Saw the Devil
My fear? That they'll hire Bingo Morihashi. Again.

99% of everything you're "afraid of" was sowed by DMC3 well before the fourth game was even a thing.

Miss being an isolationist running through levels solo, and only encountering a few other characters throughout the runtime of the game, the same way you scarcely ran into Trish, Lucia, or Nero Angelo in previous games? DMC3 took that away and swerved the attention of the game constantly to cram in characters like Lady, Jester, and Arkham.

Hate the over-the-type bishonen designs? DMC3 started that. The more practical and Western-style look of Dante and his contemporaries from 1 and 2 were replaced by Dante's skater clothes and Lady's military schoolgirl outfit. Lady was also established as the "chick with lots of guns" before she was ever playable in DMC4.

Hate the retarded swagger of the characters, things like Trish doing the golf pose for one of her moves, or Dante literally spending an entire minute to dance about dick-thrusting upon acquiring Lucifer? You can thank the cringe-worthy shift towards comedic and overblown cutscenes and character moments in DMC3 for ALL of that.

Aesthetics, color palette, character depictions and story aside, one thing I would certainly object to bashing DMC4 for would be its combat. It was faster, more fluid, and more nuanced than any of the previous games combined...and it might've reached even higher levels of depth if its horrible development cycle hadn't deprived the game of having more weapons and enemy types. It had a much better camera, controls that didn't make someone as nimble as Dante seem arthritic and clunky, and an emphasis on aerial combos that, frankly, hasn't been surpassed by any hack-n'-slash game since, not even the gaming community's overrated deity in the form of the Bayonetta series.

Its production and story design can undergo many subjective changes...that much I can agree with. But the combat? That at least should stay.
Except for the Bingo Morihashi part I couldn't agree less.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I should hope it doesn't. It wouldn't be DMC5 if it did...it would be DmC2. And that it isn't what I'd like for the main series at all.
There are things in DmC's combat mechanics that should be incorporated in to a hypothetical DMC 5, that's for sure. I'd also like another more creative approach to level design. Limbo kicked all kinds of ass in the visual department. Returning to those discarded Castlevania levels will obviously be a step back aesthetically. Like imagine if they do that follow up to DMC 2 where we can see Dante's journey through hell itself. That can be the opportunity for some seriously wicked level design.

Of course, there are a ton of ignorant fanboys who will probably not want any of this because to them DmC did nothing right. Well, they can stay wrong because I want a series I like to move forward and improve incorporating good things from both incarnations.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I know where this is going to lead. So
I'm stopping it before it happens. Anyone (and I mean anyone) that takes this down the road of DMC vs DmC will be locked out of the thread and handed a warning.

I'm tired of the same people bringing this stuff up. You know who you are.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
There are things in DmC's combat mechanics that should be incorporated in to a hypothetical DMC 5, that's for sure.
Truth be told, Itsuno stated that some of Vergil's combat tweaks from DmC were used when migrating him to DMC4, so little sensibilities like that would be very welcome. But outside of some little things, I'd rather 4 pursue the next step of the combat system it already started, with maybe some emphasis on evasive maneuvers and aerial combos. Those are things DmC tapped on but didn't explore to full potential. And as much as I like DmC's combat, I do feel integrating a lot of its simplified mechanics in the follow-up to a game as mechanically in-depth as DMC4 would be a drastic step backwards.

One thing I would love to see from DmC was the combo-switching---you know, where you'd start one of those combos that ends with a pause, then switch to another weapon to end the combo. Interrupting a combo in the other games never allowed you to do that, and I really hope 5 utilizes that.

I'd also like another more creative approach to level design. Limbo kicked all kinds of ass in the visual department. Returning to those discarded Castlevania levels will obviously be a step back aesthetically.
Honestly, the Castlevania-esque approach to backdrops hasn't been a thing since DMC1. I've lamented this constantly, but the egrigously-bland and uninspired levels from 2 and 3 DO NOT stack up to the first game's meticulously-designed Gothic interor at all.

DmC's levels only really suit DmC, I think. Its grungy, world-bending, eerie stages are more reminiscent of things like Spawn or The Crow...stylish entities in their own right, but not quite the style of classic DMC. Now, if 5 were to integrate the seemlessly-changing and vibrant sense of surrealism that DmC's stages had, THAT would be excellent. Any stage, from a Gothic castle to the layers of the Underworld would be a marvel with the lighting and aesthetic estrangement that DmC provided.

Like imagine if they do that follow up to DMC 2 where we can see Dante's journey through hell itself. That can be the opportunity for some seriously wicked level design.
SIGH.

You literally down't know how long I've yearned for that. It was supposed to happen
years ago---it was cut from 2, it was planned for 4 before the budget took a swandive and the earlier levels were just rehashed. Seriously, we have a character who's named after the poet of DANTE'S EVERLOVING INFERNO, and he HASN'T descended a single LAYER of hell since the series started.

It's even worse playing a game like Dante's Inferno, and than practically smashing your face into the controller when you realize that Visceral Games had their own Dante traverse the most realized in-game depiction of hell, when Capcom hasn't done the same in a series that started nearly a DECADE EARLIER.

Of course, there are a ton of ignorant fanboys who will probably not want any of this because to them DmC did nothing right. Well, they can stay wrong because I want a series I like to move forward and improve incorporating good things from both incarnations.
You have a good mindset. A proper DMC5 would do what works, take the good elements from both and never lose its identity as a game in the main series.

Of course, the one thing I'd want 5 to cast ASIDE from the original series and take away from DmC would be the incorporation of a story that doesn't make My Immortal seem like the pantheon of modern literature. Just once I'd like a game where the plot managed to wrench itself from the cancerous coils of outdated bishonen garbage...but that kind of hope isn't to be reserved for Capcom, the people who wrote Resident Evil and Devil May Cry into narrative crypts of mind-bendingly awful stories.

And before ANYONE dares to lecture me on Devil May Cry "not being about the story", consider that half of threads on this forum are meant to discuss intricacies about the lore and characters Capcom has been too astonishingly-lazy to fill in themselves.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
My biggest fear would be them taking the story nowhere. I genuinely think that's going to happen. We won't see what happened after 2, we'll get some other story with Dante set between one of the other games, but not after 2. There are other concerns that I have, but this is probably one of my main worries.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
My biggest fear would be them taking the story nowhere. I genuinely think that's going to happen. We won't see what happened after 2, we'll get some other story with Dante set between one of the other games, but not after 2. There are other concerns that I have, but this is probably one of my main worries.
I too share this fear, but Dante is so powerful no that virtually nothing on earth can give him a decent challenge. That's why I want him to travel through Hell so bad, you could easily make up something like the environment weakens him initially to make him struggle.

Say what you will about 3, but at least it felt like Dante was doing something important unlike his campaign in 4.

Frazz

General gamer
I fear that they'd continue on the path the series was heading. In DMC1 the thing that everyone loves is Mallet Island itself and in 3 most people love the tower but 4 moved away from having a distinct, single location in favour of more colourful and disjointed environments. I prefer the consistency of the design in 1 and 3 with the Demon World being more weird and colourful. This isn't a deal breaker for me as I'd get a DMC5 no matter what but it is a concern.

Also (not trying to incite DmC/DMC war but I thought this was of note for what I don't want to see in the series) I was playing DmC again recently to see if my distaste was misplaced and one thing I certainly don't want from it in 5 are the continuously interrupting cutscenes. There is a new cutscene every time Dante moves to a new area, when enemies spawn, and when the game wants to make sure you know to go somewhere. In my opinion I think DMC works best when you have an area like the castle in DMC1, the city in 2, and the tower in 3 where you can have moments where you aren't too sure of where to go. The best example of this is in 3 when in mission 4 the game merely uses orbs to help show you where to go but beyond that you are in a room with multiple doors and it's up to you to figure out what doors to go to in what order. Then when you learn which door leads where you retain that knowledge and it comes in useful later in the game and in future playthroughs.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I fear that they'd continue on the path the series was heading. In DMC1 the thing that everyone loves is Mallet Island itself and in 3 most people love the tower but 4 moved away from having a distinct, single location in favour of more colourful and disjointed environments. I prefer the consistency of the design in 1 and 3 with the Demon World being more weird and colourful. This isn't a deal breaker for me as I'd get a DMC5 no matter what but it is a concern.

Also (not trying to incite DmC/DMC war but I thought this was of note for what I don't want to see in the series) I was playing DmC again recently to see if my distaste was misplaced and one thing I certainly don't want from it in 5 are the continuously interrupting cutscenes. There is a new cutscene every time Dante moves to a new area, when enemies spawn, and when the game wants to make sure you know to go somewhere. In my opinion I think DMC works best when you have an area like the castle in DMC1, the city in 2, and the tower in 3 where you can have moments where you aren't too sure of where to go. The best example of this is in 3 when in mission 4 the game merely uses orbs to help show you where to go but beyond that you are in a room with multiple doors and it's up to you to figure out what doors to go to in what order. Then when you learn which door leads where you retain that knowledge and it comes in useful later in the game and in future playthroughs.

All of this is actually pretty spot on and a topic that's not seen that often talked about.

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
Mine would be only what if Capcom in suppoused DMC 5 lowers dificulty of game so all new ones can get that very easilly, that would be annoying for me, beacuse i like more challenging games.

Sparda's Rebellion

Style matters in combat.
Dante's only challenge would be in someone who is very similar to him like Vergil. Since that probably wouldn't happen again unless Vergil fought his way out of hell God of War style to reenter the story and become the "bad guy" again it's probably going to have to be someone like Nero. Maybe if Nero's Devil Trigger, because he wasn't very good at controlling it, took him over and made him want more power like Vergil. That would be a close fight for Dante to have some kind of actual challenge, or else yeah, I have no clue where they're going to go with it.

There are things in DmC's combat mechanics that should be incorporated in to a hypothetical DMC 5, that's for sure.
What combat mechanics would you want to see incorporated from DmC? I'm curious.

Dante94513

My fear? The same way Capcom treated Street Fighter V. Rushing out a polished incomplete game for $60 that has less content than any of it's previous games, and add more stuff monthly including pre-order bonuses, season passes, and worst of all: Microtransactions announced before release ofcourse (and just putting them it in the game at all). Not telling buyers on the box art that the game isn't finished and will be adding more stuff later.

Funny enough I don't hear much from that game recently, ever since the game added content a month after release. I haven't heard anyone talking big about it ever since. Not even updates about the story mode.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Funny enough I don't hear much from that game recently, ever since the game added content a month after release. I haven't heard anyone talking big about it ever since. Not even updates about the story mode.

You haven't? Dayum son. Just go on YouTube and you'll find fans and press alike's videos about Ibuki and the story mode, which has indeed gotten updates.

Btw, the SF5 approach wouldn't be THAT bad (not that I encourage it by any means), since the new content is free, they don't charge you for it. But God forbid they take the MVC3/SF4 approach... thankfully they seem to be done with that, but you never know.

Pacrolash

Mine would be only what if Capcom in suppoused DMC 5 lowers dificulty of game so all new ones can get that very easilly, that would be annoying for me, beacuse i like more challenging games.
I don't see a problem here. I guess it would be grat to just raise difficulty to dmc3 level but add one more easy level for newbies or casual players like me that are there just for characters/plot (lol)/relaxation xD
Maybe if Nero's Devil Trigger, because he wasn't very good at controlling it, took him over and made him want more power like Vergil. That would be a close fight for Dante to have some kind of actual challenge, or else yeah, I have no clue where they're going to go with it.
I remember on one of the last year's con Johny said that it could be nice to show dark side of Nero. I guess thet could be great opportunity to do this.
But there could be trouble to show it in a unique style. If this fight will become a re-playing Dante-Vergil fight and relationship... that will be kinda boring xD

mhm I guess that's quite off-topic, but since somebody talking about marketing style - it would be great to get Witcher 3 kind of a deal, when we get full quality game, and then DLC's that are feel like separate full game too. I got tired of all these special editions, that got just two-four new cutscenes and then just the same game. With same plot. I gave up on trying to understand why Vergil in supposed past got fight with Agnus. Or why Lady/Trish got Savior/Sanctus fight. Like ok this happened. There is no explanation plot-wise. That just happened and we saw 2 new cutscenes 'k.

P.S. Sorry my if English is not that good

Top Bottom