• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What can Capcom do to make a DMC5 a "true" mainstream hit.

Tosto

The Dark Brawler
Right now I think DMC needs a break from Dante as the main character. They need to explore the world in which DMC exists. A mix between DmC and the Original. I'm sure there are a few other demon hunters out there. Dante has gone to hell according to DMC timeline right? So what about an open world Kingdoms of Amalur+DMC game where you create your own Devil hunter where we come across characters from DMC and re-imagined versions of KAT, poison, the Hunter(s) and more. That could be used as a jumping of point to bring back Dante into the fray. And for the love of god, think about the whole story beyond just one game.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Well there's disputes over everything in any fanbase.. that doesn't mean fanbase is "Split" or anything.
I drop it at that, but I know big amount of peoples hating on new direction and i also new big amount bent over on bashing DMC and even any Clover/platinum game only to prove DmC supposed superiority

Zero

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Seeing as how discussing anything DmC vs DMC related is an easy way to get into an argument, I would say yes, the fanbase is indeed "split" over that issue. >.> Just sayin' lol

AHEM anyway....on the topic....I don't want DMC to go "mainstream" I enjoyed it for what it was.

But for general improvements I think maybe an open-world type thing might be a cool change though, or at least less linearity/backtracking. Maybe an online Bloody Palace so we could fight with or against our friends would be fun. =)

I like Tosto's idea about character customization but I'm not tired of Dante and don't want to see him go. ;_;

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
Sorry, but these two statements contradict each other... you clearly do notice that Dante's character was already changed from DMC 1 to DMC 4 so DmC clearly didn't "ruin the most beloved characters in hack'n'slash gaming"
Agreed!
People like him will never truly realize that all the "Dante"s since DMC2 are all just different interpretations of the character anyway, which is really true (Hideki Kamiya's tweet on "Dante has changed", anyone?). He must still be sucking up all the swag (this term has lost its true definition thanks to those trend-setters and Capcom already turned Dante into a trend-setter since DMC3 anyway!) DMC3 Dante and DMC4 Dante had! Been there; done that!
And you know what different interpretations of a character mean? They are different characters, yet similar to one another! So what he said could be the same for not just DMC2 Dante and even DmC Dante, but DMC3 Dante and DMC4 Dante too, not to mention DMC Anime Dante! Take the words of those DMC1 purists! With them in mind, I'd say this fanbase began the split prior to DmC (since you mentioned "fanbase split").

I really think they should reboot Onimusha and do a straight up remake. If Onimusha 1 and 2 had the controls for 3. I'd be all up in that.
I have not been playing Onimusha since Dawn of Dreams, whose story is so damn beautiful! That game is the most underrated out of all the Onimusha games! So why not?

Right now I think DMC needs a break from Dante as the main character. They need to explore the world in which DMC exists. A mix between DmC and the Original. I'm sure there are a few other demon hunters out there. Dante has gone to hell according to DMC timeline right? So what about an open world Kingdoms of Amalur+DMC game where you create your own Devil hunter where we come across characters from DMC and re-imagined versions of KAT, poison, the Hunter(s) and more. That could be used as a jumping of point to bring back Dante into the fray. And for the love of god, think about the whole story beyond just one game.
BLOODY BRILLIANT!!! :woot:

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I drop it at that, but I know big amount of peoples hating on new direction and i also new big amount bent over on bashing DMC and even any Clover/platinum game only to prove DmC supposed superiority
Yeah that's the key.... there are people who are disappointed by DmC but there are no people who are genuinely "hating" the new direction all that much.

DmC has the gameplay almost exactly the same from DMC 4 so there's nothing really drastically changed except for some minor tweaks and let's be honest here man the story&character in the old games weren't all that good anyway.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Yeah that's the key.... there are people who are disappointed by DmC but there are no people who are genuinely "hating" the new direction all that much.

DmC has the gameplay almost exactly the same from DMC 4 so there's nothing really drastically changed except for some minor tweaks and let's be honest here man the story&character in the old games weren't all that good anyway.
I'm for one, beyond "just disappointed". I can't say i "hate" it. But if whole franchise goes only in DmC direction I don't see myself supporting or playing it anymore, except for original titles. Also gameplay changed dramatically. No lock-on. No styles. Combos reduced to only half of what they used to be. Stupid "hold the button controls". Pointless jumping section. Bayonetta's witch time mechanic.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Also gameplay changed dramatically. No lock-on. No styles. Combos reduced to only half of what they used to be. Stupid "hold the button controls". Pointless jumping section. Bayonetta's witch time mechanic.
Err.. i fail to see how all these little tweaks change anything dramatically.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
ermm...by cutting whole mechanics out of the game?
I agree. How is reducing combo potential a good thing? How is making the Devil Trigger restrictive (by forcing you to fight aerially) a good thing? How is forcing you to 'fight the blue enemy with the blue weapon' a good thing? It's all just unnecessarily restrictive - it makes me lose the ability to fight using my own fighting style. And then you've got the platforming sections, which didn't add anything to the game. Just ''press this button now. Look at these spaced out environments. Aren't they grand? Whoops, you paid too much attention to the background. You're dead''. Yeeeeeah, I want to watch for five minutes as Dante grapples onto stuff... over and over again. Fun! -_-

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I agree. How is reducing combo potential a good thing? How is making the Devil Trigger restrictive (by forcing you to fight aerially) a good thing? How is forcing you to 'fight the blue enemy with the blue weapon' a good thing? It's all just unnecessarily restrictive - it makes me lose the ability to fight using my own fighting style. And then you've got the platforming sections, which didn't add anything to the game. Just ''press this button now. Look at these spaced out environments. Aren't they grand? Whoops, you paid too much attention to the background. You're dead''. Yeeeeeah, I want to watch for five minutes as Dante grapples onto stuff... over and over again. Fun! -_-
I agree with you on all points the changes they made were mostly just annoying but i don't see how these things can't be easily changed in a sequel.. its not like DmC completely revamped the gameplay and made it like god of war or ninja gaiden the game still played very much like DMC4 and dare i say the combat animations felt way more fluid.

All the animosity DmC has been getting is plain unwarranted,it is one of the most faithful reboots i've played in a while if it gets a sequel or a prequel or whatever it can easily redeem itself for all of its shortcomings.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
I agree with you on all points the changes they made were mostly just annoying but i don't see how these things can't be easily changed in a sequel.. its not like DmC completely revamped the gameplay and made it like god of war or ninja gaiden the game still played very much like DMC4 and dare i say the combat animations felt way more fluid.

All the animosity DmC has been getting is plain unwarranted,it is one of the most faithful reboots i've played in a while if it gets a sequel or a prequel or whatever it can easily redeem itself for all of its shortcomings.
Maybe, but it can't redeem itself for having a totally different style, different atmosphere, different setting and different characters than the DMC games - so it's not very faithful to the old series in my book. Reboots - even though they're called reboots for a reason - don't have to be so drastically different from their source material. DmC IS. And that's exactly the problem. The DMC series hadn't ended yet, and then they decide to lose their core audience by making a game that doesn't look like DMC in the slightest? Great idea.

But yeah, you're right: those aforementioned gameplay features can be changed, if they're willing to change it. The question is: do casual gamers want them to be changed? Probably not.

Last edited:

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014

Gameplay didn't felt like DMC at all to me. Yes some moves looked the same, but that pretty much it. Basically to change it into DMC they need throw away whole elemental system, build lock on, find solution for "hold the button" etc. It's not as easy as it sounds, and even than, considering they completely killed tactical approach in DmC I'm not sure they've been able to change it. From my experience game felt nothing like original games. It may as well be Bayonetta sequel, with equal amount of similarities. Considering how far it stranded from original material, imo they could have get away with just changing game's name and nobody would have accused them that it's DMC clone.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I think DMC might've gotten to popular for it's own good.

There is this constant talk when making a DMC game that it needs to be accessible. To this end Capcom has been constantly making decisions based on making it appealing to the west by either redesigning, dropping difficulty, making it easier to do things, and not scaring off anyone, nether people who dislike Japanese archetypes nor anyone who might be put off by horror elements.

It's become a matter of selling to the biggest audience over making it a DMC game. This is the impression that I get from both DmC and DMC4. It's no longer ether DMC3 nor 1 that they are trying to recreate, it's the search for the game that will sell like God of War. They seem to think that the gameplay is damn near perfect since the advances from one sequel to the next have been far too few after 3, and I say this not because I think there should be grand leaps on each sequel but rather because it's been damn near a decade since 3 and the advances made from 3 to DmC are too few. Even the combos are practically the same and slight alterations don't progression make. It's been too long and there have been too many other games that they could've learned from for this to be acceptable. They've had the time to try new things and experiment but they seem to be just treading carefully, too carefully. The biggest differences I see from 3 to 4 to DmC are cosmetic, not so much on the mechanical side.

I don't think there will ever be a sequel that is in the same spirit of DMC's 1 or 3 any more, not since the success of 3.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Maybe, but it can't redeem itself for having a totally different style, different atmosphere, different setting and different characters than the DMC games.
It's not very faithful to the old series in my book.
Okay first off all this is REBOOT not a remake so it doesn't have to do anything with the old series in terms of aesthetics and story,a reboot allows developers to do whatever they want to do.

Secondly,original DMC series never had a cohesive style,setting,atmosphere or character continuity so lambasting DmC for having a different theme&characters is simply just dishonest.
Reboots - even though they're called reboots for a reason - don't have to be so drastically different from their source material, IMO.
you're absolutely correct DmC isn't really much different from previous DMC games expect for some minor gameplay tweaks it stays true to its predecessors unlike tomb raider and thief that is....

And there's no such thing as a "Casual" or a "hardcore" gamer.

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
It's like with DMC3 during its production. Reuben Langdon received hate mail for being Dante. Many people accepted it, but the DMC1 purists think otherwise...

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
Okay first off all this is REBOOT not a remake so it doesn't have to do anything with the old series in terms of aesthetics and story,a reboot allows developers to do whatever they want to do.

Secondly,original DMC series never had a cohesive style,setting,atmosphere or character continuity so lambasting DmC for having a different theme&characters is simply just dishonest.you're absolutely correct DmC isn't really much different from previous DMC games expect for some minor gameplay tweaks it stays true to its predecessors unlike tomb raider and thief that is....

And there's no such thing as a "Casual" or a "hardcore" gamer.
...I know that -_- and that's not the issue. The issue is, you said it is faithful to the DMC series, I say it's not. Not very, anyway. That's all. 'Reboot' means restarting the old story in a different way (alternate universe etc), or making a new story from scratch. It doesn't say anything about characters NEEDING to look completely different and act completely different. Nowhere does it say that Mundus 'must now be a demonic banker instead of a three-eyed demon'. Nowhere does it say that 'Vergil now needs to be a techie' or that he 'needs to be an asshole'. Or that 'the world needs to be redesigned'. Or that 'everything needs to be westernized'. As you can see from those points, DmC is NOT very faithful to DMC, so I vehemently disagree with you on that.
I just don't like that they ruined the Devil May Cry series for me.

Well, I can say that DMC1, DMC2, DMC3 and DMC4 all had a pretty similar gothic theme. Aside from that, there have been hints of anime throughout all the games. DMC3 Dante and DMC4 Dante were much alike, DMC1 and DMC2 Dante kind of too, though DMC2 Dante was more silent. The settings were often very similar to each other. Hell, even the last DMC (DMC4) had castles and ****e as its setting. I see a lot of similarities, even between DMC4 and DMC1. DmC... not so much. It has a completely different kind of story, the demons are not the classic demons anymore, its world hardly looks like DMC at all, and the characters are quite different from their DMC counterparts. If you replaced DMC characters with DmC characters, that just wouldn't really work: put Bob Barbas or Poison into DMC and you'd be like 'wtf'. I could go on and on. DmC is very different from the DMCs in most respects. So... again, I disagree.

And ohoooh yes, I think casual gamers certainly do exist. Most gamers nowadays can be considered casual. People nowadays are used to easy games like Assassin's Creed, Fable III, Gear of War, GTA V, the newer Final Fantasies, etc etc. So far, even Metal Gear Solid 5 looks to be easier (more dumbed down) than previous MGSes. If games like DMC3 were made today, people would be whining their asses off about how hard they are. Please come up with arguments first before you make a statement. The line ''there's no such thing as a casual gamer'' holds no merit on its own.

Last edited:

Sunaka Marién

It doesn't say anything about characters NEEDING to look completely different and act completely different. Nowhere does it say that Mundus 'must now be a demonic banker instead of a three-eyed demon''. Nowhere does it say that 'Vergil now needs to be a techie' or that he 'needs to be an asshole'. Or that 'the world needs to be redesigned'.
It doesn't say anything about how it MUSTN'T be like that. Btw, Mundus is still a three-eyed demon, it's just that wee see him inside his vessel throughout most of the game. And Vergil has always kinda been an asshole, tbh.

Well, I can say that DMC1, DMC2, DMC3 and DMC4 all had a pretty similar gothic theme. Aside from that, there have been hints of anime throughout all the games.
I dunno, but I can still see the gothic influences in the environments of DmC as well as the anime influence in it's vibrant colors (which actuylly were inspired by anime) and how it's still pretty much over the top.
DMC3 Dante and DMC4 Dante were much alike, DMC1 and DMC2 Dante kind of too, though DMC2 Dante was more silent.
And DmC Dante is a mix between DMC1 and DMC3 Dante, so we've come full circle I'd say~
the demons are not the classic demons anymore
I dunno, but DmC's demons seem a lot more like 'classic' demons to me, with their invasion of the human spirit through nightmares, lurking in the shadows secretly influencing and controlling mankind, seemingly forming pacts with some humans (demon collaborators) and probably possessing some people too (vessels).
and the characters are quite different from their DMC counterparts.
Eh, they don't seem all that different to me, like, Dante is still a big hearted whise cracking dude who just loves slaying demons, Vergil is still the more silent and calculating type and Mundus still just wants to take over the world and thinks he's better than anyone else. The biggest "difference" I see is how their way of acting and especially talking is much more realistic and not 'anime-clean' and 'anime-badass'.
If you replaced DMC characters with DmC characters, that just wouldn't really work: put Bob Barbas or Poison into DMC and you'd be like 'wtf'.
I agree on Bob, but Poison? Give her a slightly different way of speaking an it'd be fine, imo.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
It doesn't say anything about how it MUSTN'T be like that. Btw, Mundus is still a three-eyed demon, it's just that wee see him inside his vessel throughout most of the game. And Vergil has always kinda been an asshole, tbh.

I dunno, but I can still see the gothic influences in the environments of DmC as well as the anime influence in it's vibrant colors (which actuylly were inspired by anime) and how it's still pretty much over the top.

And DmC Dante is a mix between DMC1 and DMC3 Dante, so we've come full circle I'd say~

I dunno, but DmC's demons seem a lot more like 'classic' demons to me, with their invasion of the human spirit through nightmares, lurking in the shadows secretly influencing and controlling mankind, seemingly forming pacts with some humans (demon collaborators) and probably possessing some people too (vessels).

Eh, they don't seem all that different to me, like, Dante is still a big hearted whise cracking dude who just loves slaying demons, Vergil is still the more silent and calculating type and Mundus still just wants to take over the world and thinks he's better than anyone else. The biggest "difference" I see is how their way of acting and especially talking is much more realistic and not 'anime-clean' and 'anime-badass'.

I agree on Bob, but Poison? Give her a slightly different way of speaking an it'd be fine, imo.
- I was just saying I dislike DmC because it does not feature anything I like. I don't like its version of Dante, I don't like Vergil. Mundus is incredibly cliché and badly written. Lilith too. Kat... I hardly even remember her. It's all just a bit boring to me.
I'm also criticizing it for being so different from DMC, because nobody asked for that. Not a single gamer asked for that. It was all Capcom's idea to change the characters, story, style, atmosphere... everything. And it didn't really work out for them. Most people don't like DmC because it changed so much FOR NO REASON. I understand that DMC didn't make sense story-wise, but the reboot didn't have to change so many things so drastically. That's what I mean.

- DmC does have vibrant colors, but I see no anime influence in that, per se. Just because something is vibrant doesn't mean it's related to anime. If I color something bright yellow, does that make it anime? Of course not. So I think you're just grasping at straws there.

- DmC Dante a mix between DMC1 and DMC3 Dante? Not really. He acts like an asshole in DmC. He acts like he's worth more than other people. DMC3 Dante didn't do that: he just calls demons names and tells them their powers suck. In DmC, Dante acts like he's all that (you can call me Dante the demon killer! hurr durr). In DMC3, Dante acts like the demons are nothing. Big difference. DMC3 Dante = cocky and self-centered, DmC Dante is arrogant and opportunistic. In terms of appearance, he looks nothing like any of the old Dantes either. The anime/gothic style has been completely wiped away. Now he just wears a ruddy white t-shirt and a tattered black coat. Boring. And no, I don't give a sh*t about his hair color - it could be red for all I care.

- You know what I mean by 'classic demons'. I mean the classic DMC demons. The old fantasy christian type of demons. The ones with horns, wings and pointy tails. The ones that actually look demonic. Your interpretation of 'classic' does not factor into the equation.

- Yeah, you just gave a general impression of the characters instead of going deeper into them.
''big hearted'' anyone can be big-hearted. That's not a trait of Dante alone.
''whise cracking'' *wise-cracking - not a trait of Dante alone. Besides, it depends on how he does it. DMC3 Dante used cynicism and irony, while new Dante mostly acts like an ass and insults his enemies in a very direct way (by calling them names, flipping them off etc).
''dude who just loves slaying demons'' - not a trait of Dante alone.
''the more silent and calculating type'' - not a trait of Vergil alone. It could pertain to anyone, anyone who's not even in DmC or DMC.

So yeah, when you look at it like that, the characters are much like their DMC counterparts. But go a little deeper below the surface, and you'll see they're not much like them. Hell, if you think new Vergil acts THE SAME AS old Vergil, then we're done talking.

- Well, the anime influences are still important to me. If you take that away and put some 'western grittiness' in there, then you end up with something I cannot call Devil May Cry.

I'm sure somebody's going to generalize everything I said and say ''you're just afraid of change!'' again, though. So sick of that nonargument. I'm not afraid of change, I just hate change I don't like. What if I were to take Mega-Man and turn him into some sexy anime character? How would you like that? How would you like it if I turned Mortal Kombat into My Little Pony? Fun, eh?

Last edited:
Top Bottom