• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What can Capcom do to make a DMC5 a "true" mainstream hit.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
lackluster sales?...So how do you explain DmD with "great" story barely sold over the half of DMC4 sales?

Yeah, I don't get what he was saying either. DMC4 did not have lackluster sales, it sold about 2.8 million copies, which is great. DmC, on the other hand, sold 1.3 million, which is way too low for a year like 2013, and it's also too low because of how it was geared toward as wide an audience as possible. Considering that, 1.3 sucks. It's time to move on from DmC, since according to the sales, most people prefer DMC. DmC was fun while it lasted, but it's time to return to the roots like RE7 will... hopefully.

Furthermore, most people prefer the gameplay, controls, characters, style, and atmosphere of the DMCs. It's not a matter of 'hating' on DmC, it's just that people prefer the old product. And you can't just assume I'm 'not being accepting of change': I am very much open to change - don't ever make assumptions about people you don't know. I will accept change if it is a useful and good type of change.
I've often heard that 'DMC is outdated'... uuh, hello? Those games were amazing at that time. If you think DMC4 was outdated, that's an opinion, not a fact. And even if a new DMC were outdated in your view, who cares? You should care more about whether or not it has good gameplay.

''Hell DmC even got more popularity then DMC because it was a reboot and caused a large enough commotion to get the series noticed again.''

I don't get this either. DmC was not more popular than DMC3 or DMC4. To say that it was more popular than 'DMC' means it was more popular than the entire DMC series, which makes no sense. Don't know how you could even measure that. The series did not go unnoticed either, as it sold very well, albeit with a depression at DMC3's release. DMC4 was still pretty popular: it got good reviews and it even had tournaments. If DMC went unnoticed for a while, that's because the last installment was from 2008, many years ago :facepalm:

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
Tbh, i thunk Onimusha 3 is far more guilty of that.
Really?

Alone little kid that served no purpose but to be there, chick with automatic weapon and french cop taking on Nobunaga are all fell into dumb anime cliche to me.
First of all:
odod-akane-yagyu1.jpg

Yeah, you can play as her but let's be honest it's a fricken loli.

Second, you need to watch more tv if you think anime is the only place where there are useless kids, same for plot device women toting guns. French cop taking on Nobunaga? What other animes have similar scenarios? 'Cause I want to watch THAT anime. And don't say that just because Nobunaga is a Japanese icon it makes anime.

That aside DoD has some pretty awesome bosses, and final one was mindblowing, while final fight in Onimusha 3 was very weak compared to let's say Onimusha 2 with it's Golden Evil Statue
Does not change the fact that the lead character is a bishonen wearing a far more fantasy looking weaponry than the previous games and head gear that pushes it a bit and that there is a loli in it.

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
Devil May Cry isn't mainstream. It's actually a small series that made a big impact on the H&S genre but after that, it didn't get any big mentions like infamous or Assassin's Creed. Devil May Cry will continue to be on that path, unless they really do something big with the series. Hell DmC even got more popularity then DMC because it was a reboot and caused a large enough commotion to get the series noticed again. But now that it's become relevant again, Capcom really needs to execute how to win back the fans, which won't be too hard anyway. Just put a measly trailer with old Dante on it, and there you go. All the fans come running back. But of course they'll have to include other factors like gameplay, story, and environment. No bullsh*t like "focus only on gameplay, and story second" because that's not gonna fly as easily these days, and they're trying to get DMC more popular. Capcom needs to work on the story writing skills and character developing for these characters otherwise they'll start falling behind.

I honestly don't care about the series anymore (Due to the fact that it's not as interesting anymore, and the fanbase is full of idiots) but if they are planning to make Devil May Cry the big hit it should be, then they really need to buckle down and get their sh*t together otherwise they'll be met with the lack luster sales once again.
I enjoyed DMC1 and DMC3 of the original series, and enjoyed the reboot. DMC2 was boring, and DMC4 was terrible in my opinion.

I never said I didn't like the franchise. I said I didn't necessarily care for it as much. Mostly because we haven't gotten any news on it since DmC came out so I lost patience for it for now.
Basically, what I feel about the DMC franchise right now is what you feel also, Dragon! I may not care about it like I used to anymore, but I'd rather remain skeptical for its future...

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Really?

First of all:
odod-akane-yagyu1.jpg

Second, you need to watch more tv if you think anime is the only place where there are useless kids, same for plot device women toting guns. French cop taking on Nobunaga? What other animes have similar scenarios? 'Cause I want to watch THAT anime. And don't say that just because Nobunaga is a Japanese icon it makes anime.

Does not change the fact that the lead character is a bishonen wearing a far more fantasy looking weaponry than the previous games and head gear that pushes it a bit and that there is a loli in it.
And now think about how japanese mainstream loves foreign heroes;) There is your answer. As for more fantasy weapon....uhh...Seriously? Weapons were always bizarre in Onimusha. And finally what really ****ed me off, is that instead of being Climax of Onimusha, it was more about Jaques and his family. Seriously? We finally taking down main evil, who cares about some kids and chicks. :/ And about that loli debate....uhh..Kotarou was about her age in Onimusha 2. Just because he was male, doesn't really change anything

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Really?

First of all:
odod-akane-yagyu1.jpg

And now think about how japanese mainstream loves foreign heroes;) There is your answer. As for more fantasy weapon....uhh...Seriously? Weapons were always bizarre in Onimusha. And finally what really ****ed me off, is that instead of being Climax of Onimusha, it was more about Jaques and his family. Seriously? We finally taking down main evil, who cares about some kids and chicks. :/ And about that loli debate....uhh..Kotarou was about her age in Onimusha 2. Just because he was male, doesn't really change anything

MigsRZXAStylish

Is that an accidental double-post?

The Final Offer

You guys are talking mainstream and you never once thought DMC 3. Think about how it's trailers are, how Dante is, and what the story was about.

Oh how convenient the plot was.
"Hey Dante, I'm opening the gate."
"Here I come Vergil!"
"Hey you mind if I tag along son of Sparda?"
->
"My father's in that tower and I'm going to kill him for killing my priestess mom!"
"It's too dangerous for you lady."
"Ok I'll stay behind."
->
"Ha ha Arkham I betrayed you first!"
"Ha ha Vergil I betrayed you second!"
->
"Dante we gotta team up."
"After that kick ass entrance! Hell yeah!"
"Oh no, I didn't think you'd team up on me......again! Ugh you shot me! "
->
"Thank the devil I used that portal to escape from them! It took all my strength to survive the fall and that makes me completely vulnerable. It'd be a real pain in the ass if my daughter showed up."
"Hi dad."
"Crap..."
->
"Vergil!"
"Dante!"
"One two three four I declare thumb war!"
"Ah ha you lose Vergil!"
"No! To lose with both Yamato and Force Edge and my superior speed over you Dante. Damn the plot."
"I won because the writers wanted to fill this dark story with LLLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHTTT!"

-The End-

MigsRZXAStylish

You guys are talking mainstream and you never once thought DMC 3. Think about how it's trailers are, how Dante is, and what the story was about.

"Here I come Vergil!"
->
"My father's in that tower and I'm going to kill him for killing my priestess mom!"
"Ok I'll stay behind."
->
->
->
"Thank the devil I used that portal to escape from them! It took all my strength to survive the fall and that makes me completely vulnerable. It'd be a real pain in the ass if my daughter showed up."
"Hi dad."
"Crap..."
->
"Vergil!"
"Dante!"
"Ah ha you lose Vergil!"
"No! To lose with both Yamato and Force Edge and my superior speed over you Dante. Damn the plot."
"I won because the writers wanted to fill this dark story with LLLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHTTT!"

-The End-
culkin-shocked-face.png
im_shocked.jpg
shocked-face.png

WAIT, WHAT?!?!

So from what you're saying, DMC3 made the DMC franchise too mainstream? My good Lord! I have found an even darker, colder, and harder truth of DMC going mainstream, and it isn't just on DMC4 and even DmC!

Oh God! DMC has really gone mainstream! I'm glad I liked DMC1 for the original Dante the most!

sylvanas

One Hell of a Member

"Here I come Vergil!"
->
"Ok I'll stay behind."
->
->
->
"Hi dad."
"Crap..."
->
"Vergil!"
"Dante!"
"Ah ha you lose Vergil!"

-The End-

tumblr_mx5djbOhxf1sz1v7co1_500.gif

That made me bust a rib. XD

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Devil May Cry probably won't ever be a mainstream game series, solely because of the way its tackled its gameplay and style. It's an acquired taste, like coffee or sardines. You either love it, or you despise it for everything that it is.

Devil May Cry features a nonsenical story woven out of anime cliches and formulaic character archetypes. It doesn't take itself seriously at times, but then turns around and hands the player a dramatic, climactic confrontation in the rain with two vengeful brothers. It's confusing for the common bystander, and the confusion will lead to disgruntled resignation and dismissal of the game's "plot." Not to mention that a lot of Japanese humor and style comes off as foreign to the masses who don't indulge themselves in anime or stylized Japanese video games, since neither are mainstream here in the West.

The game features a love-or-hate protagonist that is either the most badass thing to grace a cluster of pixelated space, or the most annoying, insufferable, ass-clown this side of Snow Viliers from FF13. Once again...acquired taste. Not an approachable character type that's open to be greedily gobbled up by the masses, i.e., Solid Snake or Kratos.

Finally, the gameplay is usually unforgivably hard, has a fixed and unconditional learning curve, a control scheme that hasn't evolved from its PS2 debut, a camera system as unorthodox to modern gamers as the type found in Resident Evil, difficulty that is almost ALWAYS a default, and having conditions, like: "You can only unlock the easier difficulty once you've died at least 3 times!"

The only glimmer of change that was implemented to the series was to dismiss these things completely and rebuild it from the ground up. That meant having Capcom supervise a different Dev Team for its gameplay, and having another group handle the writing and visual design. But like most franchises, tinkering around with DMC's core features is what led to DmC, a game fans deem as "too different to be acceptable."

Fans want what isn't commonly approached or appreciated by mainstream gamers, and mainstream gamers want the type of game that fans despised before it was even conceived on paper. Mainstream changes are either the dooming factor or the saving grace for the series. The fanbase needs to decide which of the two it is before thinking about a sequel to either the reboot or the original series.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
tumblr_mx5djbOhxf1sz1v7co1_500.gif

That made me bust a rib. XD

Lmao! Right there with you, Sylvanas.

As per the topic-I don't care one way or another if it becomes "mainstream", or not. Whatever Capcom does, whether they continue with a DMC5, a DmC2, or somehow miraculously put out both (doubtful). If they do DMC5, I would simply want them to improve on their narrative abilities, tie up loose ends/fill in plot holes, work on the pacing, and give the main characters their freaking due...you know, give them one hell of a send-off, as it were.

No matter how many shortcomings the franchise has, it hasn't dampened my love of the universe; very few games grip me like this series did.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Yeah, I don't get what he was saying either. DMC4 did not have lackluster sales, it sold about 2.8 million copies, which is great. DmC, on the other hand, sold 1.3 million, which is way too low for a year like 2013, and it's also too low because of how it was geared toward as wide an audience as possible. Considering that, 1.3 sucks. It's time to move on from DmC, since according to the sales, most people prefer DMC. DmC was fun while it lasted, but it's time to return to the roots like RE7 will... hopefully.

Then allow me to explain. Let's look at DMC and then look at games like CoD, GoW, Assassin's Creed, etc. Which game series does DMC beat in terms of sales all together? Certainly not Assassin's Creed or CoD. Why? because DMC isn't appealing to the masses of West, which keeps its sales low and un-mainstream. DmC did sell less then DMC, but that doesn't exclude the fact that DmC had a lot more work put into it compared to DMC and that was made note of for reviews and sales. Low to Capcom is different for NT, which to them was a successful number to reach.

No doubt Capcom will go back to DMC, but for me it's a shame because DmC does have a lot to work with and start anew rather then creating another complicated plot and further confuse the DMC lore.

Furthermore, most people prefer the gameplay, controls, characters, style, and atmosphere of the DMCs. It's not a matter of 'hating' on DmC, it's just that people prefer the old product. And you can't just assume I'm 'not being accepting of change': I am very much open to change - don't ever make assumptions about people you don't know. I will accept change if it is a useful and good type of change.
I've often heard that 'DMC is outdated'... uuh, hello? Those games were amazing at that time. If you think DMC4 was outdated, that's an opinion, not a fact. And even if a new DMC were outdated in your view, who cares? You should care more about whether or not it has good gameplay.

I did care about gameplay in DMC, and I thought it was good...but it's also dated and hasn't grown in 10 years before DmC. DMC follows a basic rule in gameplay that, while nostalgic, will get old if not updated. DMC isn't Mario or Zelda in which it doesn't need to grow to a complete 180 to still be relevant. This is DMC; the slightly popular game series that revolutionized the H&S genre and then just became another H&S series after that with slightly better gameplay.

People can prefer whatever they want, but that doesn't mean I ignore faults. DMC has faults like DmC has faults. Both of them being story.

And I say outdated once again because DMC has a style and way of carrying itself as most anime does. It uses old catchphrases and old dialogue that you'd think was cheesy or used over and over again like "I will protect you" or "My heart will be my power" or something like that. It is an opinion, but it's a glaring opinion that's not all that wrong.

''Hell DmC even got more popularity then DMC because it was a reboot and caused a large enough commotion to get the series noticed again.''

I don't get this either. DmC was not more popular than DMC3 or DMC4. To say that it was more popular than 'DMC' means it was more popular than the entire DMC series, which makes no sense. Don't know how you could even measure that. The series did not go unnoticed either, as it sold very well, albeit with a depression at DMC3's release. DMC4 was still pretty popular: it got good reviews and it even had tournaments. If DMC went unnoticed for a while, that's because the last installment was from 2008, many years ago :facepalm:

Because DmC created more buzz and more attention with it's initial 2010 TGS trailer, then DMC3 and DMC4 did with theirs. When the 2010 trailer first appeared not only did it produce more views and more attention (negatively mind you) then the original series did since DMC1, but it also gave capcom a chance to increase the popularity of the original series at that time with the HD collection, thus getting DMC back as "talked-about" series in the gaming world. This can be seen with including him in Project X zone, MvC3, Monster Hunters, Sengoku Basara 4 DLC costumes, etc etc. And it's all because DmC was being hated on, others wanted to know if the originals were anything to complain about, more people curious about the series, more popularity for the series because of DmC taking the hits.

Elementary, my dear Watson.
tumblr_ma53hjWace1r7vz9go1_500.gif

Top Bottom