• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What Are You Thinking?

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Welp, we finally got a somewhat decent episode of Doctor Who this season...too bad it came too little too late - literally the finale.
*Sigh*
I can't see myself ever returning to watch this season. :grumpy:

ItWasAnEggTimer

Same as it ever was
Reminder that a character being stronger than another character does not make them cooler, it's the character writing that decides that.
---------------
What a big surprise, the quality of the Elseworlds crossover dropped significantly as soon as Supergirl's Earth was involved, who could've predicted that? /s

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I've played a lot of games set in jungles. It's probably my favorite setting for a game. However, I find it kinda sad that none has managed to capture that atmosphere the King Kong game did back in 2005.
Just look at this ****.

peter-jacksons-king-kong-the-game-gamers-edition-4.jpg

kingkong_sc0081

hqdefault.jpg

So incredibly atmospheric. That game made me feel really immersed which is a feat many games have failed to achieve after it. Damn, I still remember when the demo with the V-Rex level was playable at a mall, I was a kid and it used to scare the crap out of me.
Good times.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Smashed it at work today - made just shy of £300. Our shop runs at a loss thanks to stupid management decisions and if we scrape £100 a day in takings, it's a miracle. So we're up on the week already.

Plus I bought home Osiris, a metalwork hawk sculpture, who is bigger than my cat. And far better.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
I've played a lot of games set in jungles. It's probably my favorite setting for a game. However, I find it kinda sad that none has managed to capture that atmosphere the King Kong game did back in 2005.
Just look at this ****.

peter-jacksons-king-kong-the-game-gamers-edition-4.jpg

kingkong_sc0081

hqdefault.jpg

So incredibly atmospheric. That game made me feel really immersed which is a feat many games have failed to achieve after it. Damn, I still remember when the demo with the V-Rex level was playable at a mall, I was a kid and it used to scare the crap out of me.
Good times.
The concept art for Turok: Dinosaur Hunter were, and are better than this. Technical limitations and all. The box art is better, too.

The final game of Turok is good, but those concept art.... Goodness gracious.

Far Cry almost did as good as the concept art in one of the games. You start out in a jungle at night, and lights are overhead. But I mean, the atmosphere in Turok's concept art was cool enough to be hyped for the game, because it was a jungle with all kinds of moody lights coming through. It'd have to have the light kind of fog to get the design right, which to this day, we still can't get close to that idea.

Call of Duty Ghosts was close, but no cigar.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
@Carlos
Concept art don't count. Final product that I can actually play does and get immersed in to does. Even the PS2 version of King Kong, with all its less detailed textures and pointy models, was extremely atmospheric (and wasn't a brick to run too, cough cough).

Last edited:

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
@Carlos
Concept art don't count. Final product that I can actually play does and get immersed in to does. Even the PS2 version of King Kong, with all its less detailed textures and pointy models, was extremely atmospheric (and wasn't a brick to run too, cough cough).
The point of jungle environments is to give off an atmosphere of mysteriousness. My favorite example of this is Catacombs location in Turok. The music, the fog, the darkness makes you wonder what's ahead. Although limited, still creepy. That was the closet I could get to your King Kong game. The Ancient City was epic, but still the tech wasn't there to elicit that mystery. Which is why I brought up the concept art, because nobody has really captured that feel. The closest are Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Far Cry, and the zombies games. Dead Island, Left 4 Dead, and the Black Ops games.

Sooooo... close.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
As much of a nightmare as dev edits were on the last chapter, I just know the next one's going to be so. Much. Worse. x_x

I don't know if I incorporated the concept I'm now dialling down because I wanted to at the time or because I felt pressured to, but it's crap like this that makes me want to let my inner perfectionist reign during first drafts--to avoid this exact B.S. six drafts in. :facepalm: Next time, if I'm not fully committed to an idea, I'm not bloody well using it.

Now excuse me while I go weep into my coffee cup...

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
There's this misconception most people have about 2005's Kong movie, that the big wall the natives built was to keep themselves safe from Kong just because that was its purpose in the original, but that's not the case. In fact there is a big misconception about the whole relationship between the tribe, the wall and Kong.

Kong had incredible leaping and climbing abilities, unmatched brute strength and agility. Towards the end of the movie in fact, he has no problem getting past it. The original film's wall was mostly smooth with very little room for climbing. In Peter Jackson's version, the wall wasn't meant to keep Kong out, but rather the dinosaurs and the other carnivorous creatures as well as the huge herbivorous species that were constantly competing with humans and predators for territory, as Skull Island was slowing sinking into the ocean.

Kong was part of that competition, and he was fighting and killing the dangerous beasts of the inland jungle. To the natives, Kong was their protector even though of course in reality he couldn't care less about the humans and only minded his own survival, thus leaving them alone. So the tribe viewed him as their God and, to keep him appeased and peaceful they'd periodically offer him young females to be his "brides".

I thought this new spin on the whole thing was brilliant and added a very interesting additional layer to the mythos of the movie compared to the original 1933 one, which is a shame more viewers failed to catch on and I'm thankful to the director of Kong: Skull Island for having recognized it and implemented in his film in his own way.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Me either, but they must be pretty hot in Arizona.
Not just in Arizona. My cousin had his own, with a Video Game theme, but that was his interest. The point being that the gender reveal is a thing everywhere. For example, this party was in California. :)

I think the fire is probably due to errors in judgment.

Top Bottom