• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you reading?

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
He turns them into more coherent and sensical stories.
I also had no idea that Rapunzel's mother wanted to abort her or that she sold her to the witch. Or that Rapunzel ended up a beggar. And they like to leave out the part about the prince being blinded by thorns, too.

I'll definitely have to check it/them out, then. ^^

It's got a happy ending, but I like the horrible bits in-between.

:laugh:

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Batman-lit-centric post incoming! Yay, Batman! Anywho.

Just finished reading the Year One: Batman / Scarecrow comics. Honestly, it's probably my favorite of the Scarecrow comics I have, despite it being a bit of a pain to get (two volumes in total and, last time I checked, no official digital version which means going through sellers of dubious nature/quality to get them...very dramatic to purchase). I know New 52 did something totally different with Jon's origin story, but, seriously, this and Masters of Fear combined are, in my opinion, the perfect origin story. To sum it up without giving too many spoilers: this is basically a cautionary tale against abusing your kids. It demonstrates what happens when you take a child--a new born baby, specifically--and force them to grow up in an environment where their relatives despise them, their classmates torment them, and their co-workers really don't care what might befall them...and that child is smart enough and angry enough to get revenge. On everyone who wronged them. It kinda proves that the actions of the so called "normal" people in DC-verse can be far worse than even the costumed criminals are. Highly recommend the comics.
On a side note, I didn't realize Jon had a half-sister. I wonder if they ever got in touch later on.

Also lately finished Batman: Fear Itself. I have slightly mixed feelings on this one. On one hand, I really enjoyed the plot. I liked that the author tells you who the villain is from the start, but leaves you guessing at how he's doing it and who's working with him and all these other great little questions. Alfred and B-man were extremely well written, too. Here's where my issues started: the reporter girl (Maggie, I believe her name was) was exceptionally hit and miss for me. Sometimes her character was strong, well written, and had that spark that makes you want to see more...and then she'd turn around and be the most boring, dull, and basic character ever (cookie cutter female love interest...ugh). Grey also was a bit more hit and miss, his strong characterization basically crumbled him into a mass of drunken mopeyness...though...I can forgive this as everything in plot drove him to that point, but I still have issues with the author making it so all the OCs were basically like "eh, screw it, save us Batman, cuz we're not even trying any more". Biggest issue, however, was that the author didn't take his own advice. At one point, Grey mentioned that, as a horror writer, he never wants to show his audience everything--he wants to keep just enough behind the metaphorical door to keep from disappointing the readers and to keep the illusion (the world he created) real and mysterious enough to be frightening. The actual writer of the novel should have done the same. As soon as I found out exactly how Jon was doing everything I was...kinda "meh" until it reached the final confrontation. I mean, I get it; villains have a bad case of monologing when victory is near at hand, but I, as a reader, would have been much more on edge if I'd been left in the dark. Otherwise, I liked it a lot. It starts off slow and then moves pretty fast.

Also finished Batman: Arkham Knight: Riddler's Gambit recently...and that is the mother of all titles, I mean, Jeevas. Anyway. I reeeeeeaaally liked this one but it's extremely difficult to come up with a summary, so I'll settle with this: Riddler shenanigans. Which is obvious, if you read the title, but still. I wasn't crazy about some of the villains helping Eddie out (mainly cuz some of them felt out of place) and I wish Eddie had been more vocal (given his...condition), but overall...it was awesome. =D All the plots came together nearly seamlessly at the end (though there were a couple canon lapses I noticed between it at the other Arkham games before Knight) and it's just...yeah. Go buy it. Feed Eddie's ego. You know you want to.

Anyway next up: Batman: Arkham Knight novelization. Shall review when complete. :thumbsup:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Not sure if I'm going to start on Danse Macabre by Stephen King, or The Demonologist by Andrew Pyper...

Or something outside of the Horror genre, because holy crap, I think I've ruined myself with it, lately. ^^;

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Not sure if I'm going to start on Danse Macabre by Stephen King, or The Demonologist by Andrew Pyper...

Or something outside of the Horror genre, because holy crap, I think I've ruined myself with it, lately. ^^;
If you want try Talisman, it's prequel to Black House and not really horror novel

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
If you want try Talisman, it's prequel to Black House and not really horror novel

Yup, I discovered that while reading Black House. ^^; I'll have to see if my library has it, since the friend who loaned me a ton of King books didn't.

Ah, what the hell. I'll go with The Demonologist; according to at least three of the reviews inside the cover, it's bound to give me nightmares, too. :laugh:

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I re-read Welcome to Tokyo (Persona 4 Au) as its my favorite fanfic and im curious as to why.

It shifts the plot from small town Inaba to big city Tokyo but to leave it at that is a disservice as this fic expands so much on P4, it feels like a tv show that could go on for 2 or 3 more seasons. Even though by chapter 42 we have only reached up to Yukiko, so much has happened as he faced down personas wield by a serial killer and a girl gang, learned Aikido, got his butt kicked by the Reaper and went to a Maid cafe with Yosuke making fun of his little sister complex.

So alot happened but the most interesting thing is how he writes the MC (souji Seta which is better than Yu Narukami) as he avoids the God Mode characterization trap for more of a MC who is a fixer upper (to say the least). We dont really get a huge flashback but the small snippets we do get feel worth it.

Funny thing is that it captures the everyday discontent that 5 claims to have and the musing about death that 3 had.

EDIT- http://archiveofourown.org/series/177080
P4 with Kanji as the hero.

Last edited:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
The White Devil by Justin Evans.
11889162._UY200_.jpg

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Switched by Shadow
Whispers of Nowhere by Rebel Dynasty
Vile by Jesse
Mashi by Zany Blac (Mashi = Spear(s)/arrow/shaft. In this case I believe it's meant to be Arrow. It's written in Hausa)

I'm fairly sure I'll be reading Cheryl's work if I can find her most recent draft.
On another note, most of my friends are writers. Funny that. :laugh:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
How interesting, i'll have to give it a read.

Anyway, i'm currently reading "No Longer Human" by Osamu Dazai. I emphasise with the protagonist so much, such a tragic man :'(
It's on the persona 4 fanfic page on tv tropes.org.

There is also this persona 3 fic that has Shinjiro take Aigis's place in the answer that's pretty good.

Top Bottom