• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you doing?Either at home,work or somewhere.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Working on Split, my short story. I have less than 1k to go before it ceases to be a short story and enters into novelette territory. Send help. T_T

Also about to have an English muffin for breakfast and take care of a few chores.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Thought I'd wind down a hectic day by enjoying a old timey classic film that I'd been meaning to get around to since forever which was "The Thief of Bagdad" - The 1940's remake in particular with the spectacular Conrad Veidt as the evil Vizier Jaffar and Sabu Dastagir as the iconic "Prince of Thieves" Abu.

It's a really good whimsical fantasy and a technological marvel for its time - especially given that WWII was going on. The plot was entertaining from start to finish, the actors all gave good performances and both the sets and the costumes really looked amazing. I did appreciate the subtle allusions to the other tales in the "One Thousand and One Nights" such as when Ahmed and Abu are planning their escape from Basra, Abu mentions he's got a contact named Sinbad who'll let them onto his ship or the fact that the first third of the movie is a "story within a story" as told by Ahmed. Overall if you can enjoy an older style flick then you really can't go wrong with this film, a definite recommend. :)

It is interesting to see just how much Disney's Aladdin ended up "borrowing" from it... :(

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I've got no job again thanks to Covid and the youth of today who think parties in a pandemic are a great idea...so I am binge-watching Prime shows and have just finished a mega-build in Minecraft (survival, not creative - like a boss).

It's sad but I've literally got nothing else to do at the moment

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Waiting for kiddo to get out to her bus stop so that I can get yet more housework taken care of--because coping mechanisms, yay! >_>

Also debating whether we got enough snow last night to warrant shoveling the walkway. I mean, it'll probably melt by the weekend, considering it's supposed to go up to like 15 (Celsius), but who knows? *shrug*

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Trying to follow the US election and sitting here wondering why the most powerful nation in the world has a voting system from the dark ages...every 4 years I wonder the same and every 4 years I just don't get it.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
Trying to follow the US election and sitting here wondering why the most powerful nation in the world has a voting system from the dark ages...every 4 years I wonder the same and every 4 years I just don't get it.
Someone in Facebook said it pretty well imo: "The longer I follow American politics, especially the presidential elections and their coverage on news, the more I feel they should try this new system over there. It's called a democracy. The candidate who gets most votes, wins."

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium

It's because it's faulty enough that politicians can abuse it. People aren't registered to vote? Less votes for your opponent. Worried your electoral votes aren't currently high enough? Win over a state with a higher number of votes and you don't need to worry about the popular vote. Worried that people in certain communities might want to vote for your opponent over you? Make it so that polling stations in those areas are understaffed, over crowded, and in difficult to reach areas with faulty machines. Still worried about those people? Slow down the post offices so mail in ballots arrive late and have "system errors" that "accidentally" unregister people or make it so they can only vote in person. For the politicians, the system is great because it is medieval and so out-dated it's easy to corrupt. Most regular people don't like it. Most people don't understand why we still have the electoral college and it isn't run on popular vote. But guess who has to pass the bill to get rid of the college? :/

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I think any voting system is open to abuse - in the UK, we have a silly sense of humour about stuff sometimes which is why a £200m ship was almost named Boaty McBoatFace. We have the Monster Raving Loony Party who have intentionally ridiculous policies - but they get votes and I voted for them once in protest against our Government.

The dumb thing is, we cannot vote for a party that isn't represented in our area - I might want to vote Green, for example, because of their policies regarding disabled people...but if there is no one standing in Staffordshire, I can't vote the way I want. We can't vote for our Prime Minister either, only the MP we want representing our constituency. So you might want to vote, I dunno, Liberal Democrat but you don't like the party leader...if the Dems get in, he or she becomes the Prime Minister by order of the Queen and you're stuck with them.

Irritate enough peasants and they will revolt...Trump may well get 4 more years but they will not be peaceful and calm, with a focus on the people.

Basically, as with the UK, you have to hope you get the lesser of the evils once the results are announced. When election time rolls around for us over here, it's going to be a hot mess.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
That sounds...incredibly frustrating and confusing in a way. Is there a way to convince a specific party to add representatives in a specific area? But yeah, I agree. All systems have their good points and bad. Even a general popular vote can be bad if you have a lot of people with sucky opinions in one area.

Hopefully things will work out for the best, both currently and for anywhere looking to vote soon. It's messy and scary, but...not much to do but what we're able to, I guess.

Top Bottom