• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Were the reviews really paid or people aren't buying it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Stalker

" Everybody gets a bullet!" -Axton
Yeeeeah... I wouldn't call an 8.7 or so the short end of the stick - pretty much equal to DmC. Besides, I never said anything about MGR, so I'm not sure what your problem is here. I'm talking about DmC alone. And I respectfully disagree; reviews are not wholly opinions. And grades like 10/10 are obviously biased in the sense that the reviewer let his enthusiasm cloud his objective judgement. Reviews are exactly what the name implies: reviews, not some kind of completely personal article. Of course, opinions do get written down in reviews as that's what makes them interesting and unique, but grades are not solely based on emotional judgement.

Forgot the Game informer one they seemed biased to a point.
If I remember correctly and I really am foggy about this(I need to go see it again):

But the guy said gameplay got dull after level 15, limbo became to predictable and seem to lose its luster, the color coded enemies were bad, the bosses were a disappointment and the story was decent but not great. Even after all that, he just went, " Nope, 9/10."

I get its an OPINION, I get he enjoyed it, but dude putting a 9/10 after listing those is just pushing it a bit.

The best I see as I have said multiple times is 7/10-6.5/10, the highest possible 7.5.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Forgot the Game informer one they seemed biased to a point.
If I remember correctly and I really am foggy about this(I need to go see it again):

But the guy said gameplay got dull after level 15, limbo became to predictable and seem to lose its luster, the color coded enemies were bad, the bosses were a disappointment and the story was decent but not great. Even after all that, he just went, " Nope, 9/10."

I get its an OPINION, I get he enjoyed it, but dude putting a 9/10 after listing those is just pushing it a bit.

The best I see as I have said multiple times is 7/10-6.5/10, the highest possible 7.5.

Yeah, I totally agree. I mean, you can't just fly past flaws and mediocre game elements, and only make your overall emotions count about the game. I see that happen far too often, and I don't understand it. It's like they love the game too much to criticize it.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Yeeeeah... I wouldn't call an 8.5 or so the short end of the stick - pretty much equal to DmC. Besides, I never said anything about MGR, so I'm not sure what your problem is here. I'm talking about DmC alone. And I respectfully disagree; reviews are not wholly opinions. And grades like 10/10 are obviously biased in the sense that the reviewer let his enthusiasm cloud his objective judgement. Reviews are exactly what the name implies: reviews, not some kind of completely personal article. Of course, opinions do get written down in reviews as that's what makes them interesting and unique, but grades are not solely based on emotional judgement.
Overall I've just noticed DmC score higher than MGR. And that's just me generalizing again since so many butthurt DMC fans are unfairly biased themselves. Sorry about that.

And I actually don't give a sh!t about reviews. The only people I ever look to a 2nd opinion from are people like Yahtzee and Adam Sessler. I don't look at reviews as if they are they're some gospel or something. You know how many people love Mass Effect? Yea, I think it sucks. If someone though this game was the best thing they've ever played then that's just them. And overall I can tell what reviews are actually being fair and the ones that are just pandering or criticizing to the point where it doesn't make any sense.You can't just look at a high number and say that's not right. If they clarify correctly so I can at least see where they're coming from then that's a reviewer being honest.

I hate number scores though. I stand by thinking that a complex opinion shouldn't be expressed numerically and people who go by any type of number scores are so far gone that they don't even know how to read them. I absolute HATE Metacritic and what that represents.That's a whole other can of worms though.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Overall I've just noticed DmC score higher than MGR. And that's just me generalizing again since so many butthurt DMC fans are unfairly biased themselves. Sorry about that.

And I actually don't give a sh!t about reviews. The only people I ever look to a 2nd opinion from are people like Yahtzee and Adam Sessler. I don't look at reviews as if they are they're some gospel or something. You know how many people love Mass Effect? Yea, I think it sucks. If someone though this game was the best thing they've ever played then that's just them. And overall I can tell what reviews are actually being fair and the ones that are just pandering or criticizing to the point where it doesn't make any sense.You can't just look at a high number and say that's not right. If they clarify correctly so I can at least see where they're coming from then that's a reviewer being honest.

I hate number scores though. I stand by thinking that a complex opinion shouldn't be expressed numerically and people who go by any type of number scores are so far gone that they don't even know how to read them. I absolute HATE Metacritic and what that represents.That's a whole other can of worms though.

No problem.
And no argument there. I too think opinions should not be expressed in numbers. So, I'd say at least review games without grading them, then. I didn't really enjoy Mass Effect much either. I also like how they replaced Jade Empire with it -_- In ME2, you can feel the Jade Empire vibe in the mission evaluation screen (the one with Illusive Man sitting in his chair, staring at a star). The soundtrack really starts going into Jade Empire mode, and that really sucks, because I would've liked to have seen how that series worked out :(

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
No problem.
And no argument there. I too think opinions should not be expressed in numbers. So, I'd say at least review games without grading them, then. I didn't really enjoy Mass Effect much either. I also like how they replaced Jade Empire with it -_- In ME2, you can feel the Jade Empire vibe in the mission evaluation screen (the one with Illusive Man sitting in his chair, staring at a star). The soundtrack really starts going into Jade Empire mode, and that really sucks, because I would've liked to have seen how that series worked out :(
Jade Empire was a great game. I really dug the whole martial arts personality and setting because I've always dug that kind of stuff.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Jade Empire was a great game. I really dug the whole martial arts personality and setting because I've always dug that kind of stuff.

Yeah, me too. It had nice acting, an awesome atmosphere... too much to mention. But we got another space shooter type thingy instead... meh.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I think the real question concerning whether or not the reviews are being paid for or not is who really cares? I mean seriously when we all start playing a brand new game or whatever we already begin to judge the game for ourselves anyway in a lot of terms, some in which we aren't even aware of. We are subconsciously comparing the game to other games of the same or similar genre in which we've already played whilst we are playing it. And overall we become the critics ourselves. So I mean really does it actually matter if they were or weren't reviews written by critics that were 'paid' off or whatever? To me, not really. I don't look at the game reviews and see 9/10 branded everywhere so instantly start thinking 'this game is gonna be the ****', because until I actually play the game myself all other reviews and such just seem purely opinionated to me.

I mean although they aren't really written as if it is just opinion, because this would be biased. Game reviews are really just reviews from a single person who has played the game and judged its pros and cons and taken some time out from their lives to ultimate give their take and their opinion on something. If DmC got a 9/10 from some guy I've never even heard of then congratulations to the game. But it isn't going to make that game appeal to me any more than if I saw a trailer for it and thought it looked good or not. So really reviews don't actually make the game sellworthy or give us 100% trustworthy knowledge that this game will NOT disappoint us. They just give a general idea of what a 'majority' of people working for companies truly think and feel about the game. And we shouldn't soulfully look to reviews when considering buying a game or not because some reviews can indeed be more opinion based than others.

The ultimate opinion of anything at the end of the day is your own. And if you buy something because it appeals to the masses then you are just another sheep to the herd. So all that leaves me to say is what I originally stated, does it really matter about these reviews? In my opinion, I think not.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Reviews are meant to at least give you an idea whether or not it's a good game, based on its strengths and weaknesses. Reviews aren't just opinions, they're critiques. If they aren't, then I'd stop calling them reviews. I would expect professional reviewers to actually be professional, instead of mainly criticizing games based on their emotions. Perhaps the meaning of the word 'review' has changed over time. Since we got Metacritic and other stuff, total strangers have been able to post articles called reviews - only called 'reviews' because it was convenient. Still, maybe you're right. I guess reviews mainly focus on stating opinions. That said, they have to speak of the good and the bad, otherwise the author would be like a five-year-old, lacking logical reasoning. I'm not sure about professional reviews; they might often be used as a marketing tool, or not, so I'll stick to looking at individual nonprofessional reviews and see what looks well reasoned.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
I think that this kind of fraud exists in the game industry, and DmC getting 9's on some sites was kinda odd, and basicaly what reviewers said in that kind of review: "You need to buy that game! Because **** YOU!", they've not presented reasonable good points of the game for the players to buy it, they've not even compared it to its predecessors.

In my own review on a social site for brazilian gamers, i give DmC a 7.5, but it just get to 7.5 because the page itself had their criterias to give scores. If i used my own criterias and values it would be a 6~6,5 maximum. I've compared the combat system, enemy design, boss design and level design to another DMC games to give the reader a real good idea of what DmC was all about gameplay-wise, and talked a little about the story (i think that this kind of creations such as storys or arts are kinda tough to judge for someone who doesn't work with them, so i give the story a 7, but my personal feelings about this is that it don't deserved it).

My personal favourite "review" of the story of DmC, showing that it's not as good as fans claims in a funny way, and showing some of story of the bad-blood between devs and the fanbase is this:

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Now that video made me laugh. NT= Lilith:lol: I also liked how The Order was suddenly Harry Potter:p

I'm also wondering what would happen if Seth Macfarlane was involved with the game.:shifty:

Angelo Moreira

Vergil_Angelo
capcom didnt pay reviwers or are u guys forgeting what happend to re6.DmC is good.sure some didnt like it but that doesnt make it a bad game

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
capcom didnt play reviwers or are u guys forgeting what happend to re6.DmC is good.sure some didnt like it but that doesnt make it a bad game

I don't think DmC is a bad game by itself too, but their predecessors were top-quality while he is one above average hack'n'slash. Unless the reviewer likes the story too much (which has not a great value to an hack'n'slash game by itself, stories are like different entities to the game itself), i don't think it could have more than a 7 seeing the depth of all the mechanics already developed for hack'n'slash games in general, and mainly for Devil May Cry series.

Capcom trusted Resident Evil because it's a gigantic franchise in terms of selling and fans, they thought that it would make itself alone and doesn't give so much importance to this. And RE6 is a much more worse game than DmC, seriously, even with that package of glitches and exploits nothing can be more anoying than the RE6 retarded AI from the partners on the campaings, and the gameplay itself seems clunky.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
capcom didnt pay reviwers or are u guys forgeting what happend to re6.DmC is good.sure some didnt like it but that doesnt make it a bad game

IGN reviews: 7.9/10. I wouldn't call that terrible. Besides, it may well be that some games are marketed more than others, for the simple reason that Capcom thought RE6 would do well without any help. Their reasoning would probably be: ''We know RE6 is going to make us a lot of money (it is a well-known and accepted series, after all), therefore we don't need to bribe reviewers or have people write bogus reviews''. Even with fairly low scores like a 7.9, as compared to 9s and such, RE6 was bound to rake in the dough: to be sold many times. The Resident Evil series is, after all, well known and pretty popular even after RE5. DmC, on the other hand, needed to 'prove itself' first, especially since DMC got rebooted and people had high expectations and were sceptical about it. Capcom also helped it prove itself through heavy marketing, and thus, positive reviews.

That's what I'd say was going on. Then again, I don't know if that's the case. I don't even know if reviews get embellished in order to help sell the game. However, judging from some of the exorbitantly high scores, it's a possibility.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I gotta side with Lionhart on this one.

DmC is a great game to me, but in terms of numbers, I'd honestly give it a 6 or 7 /10. a 9/10 is a bit too high for DmC. But then again it was also high for other DMC games if you really get down to the details of the game.

I'm glad DmC got high reviews, but it feels far-fetched.

Back to the topic at hand, I believe that there are SOME reviews that have a more baised opinion on games and that in turn determines the review's numbers. DmC has a lot of annoying fan hate for it, and because of that, some reviewers take pity on the people making it and that constant sh!tstorm, and give the game a bone to either **** off angry fans, or to give the game a cake after eating it's way through rotten fruit.

I

Loopy

Devil hunter in training

DmC is a great game to me, but in terms of numbers, I'd honestly give it a 6 or 7 /10. a 9/10 is a bit too high for DmC. But then again it was also high for other DMC games if you really get down to the details of the game.I really like DmC and had a lot of fun playing it, but I too don't think the scores should have been that high.

Back to the topic at hand, I believe that there are SOME reviews that have a more baised opinion on games and that in turn determines the review's numbers. DmC has a lot of annoying fan hate for it, and because of that, some reviewers take pity on the people making it and that constant sh!tstorm, and give the game a bone to either **** off angry fans, or to give the game a cake after eating it's way through rotten fruit.I'd say that could be the case. It's biased and mixed with pity for all the controversy and hate the game has got, so to balance that out, the reviews were softer than they should have been. Some of the reviews I saw did actually accuse people of not liking the game because of the hair change and that people needed to get over it. So there is bias for sure mixed with pity, and maybe also a desire to annoy.

I

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.

DmC is a great game to me, but in terms of numbers, I'd honestly give it a 6 or 7 /10. a 9/10 is a bit too high for DmC. But then again it was also high for other DMC games if you really get down to the details of the game.

Back to the topic at hand, I believe that there are SOME reviews that have a more baised opinion on games and that in turn determines the review's numbers. DmC has a lot of annoying fan hate for it, and because of that, some reviewers take pity on the people making it and that constant sh!tstorm, and give the game a bone to either **** off angry fans, or to give the game a cake after eating it's way through rotten fruit.

I
The game is severely underrated though by the fanatical stubborn side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom