• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Were the reviews really paid or people aren't buying it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
There was a thread about how change was not good nor bad in itself (I think it was locked after a while because... well, you know...), but the point made by the OP was a good point: change is not good or bad in itself, it depends on the outcome. So, regarding DmC, the problem is that many fans who hate it say that it was terrible because it changed things (and so they somehow seem to imply that change is bad in itself), while other people seemed to imply that, since DmC did a good job, in their opinions, then change is always good. Neither of these positions is a sound one, I think.
The problem about DmC is judging wether it changed for the better of the worse, and this judgement is necessarily influenced by our perceptions of DmC (if we liked it or not). So, for example, a fan like me would say it changed for the better, while other people would state the opposite. We like DmC=DmC was a good change; we dislike it=it was a bad change.

But there is a little truth hidden behind the words of those who say "You hate DmC because you are afraid of change". It is not the fact that change is always good (as I already said, it is not so). It is, instead, the fact that one should not simply judge DmC (or anything) negatively because it represented a change without even giving it a try. One can surely say "I don't seem to like the direction this change is going in, so I think I'll not spend money on it", but this is a personal judgement about a specific direction of change, while it would be an error to disregard it simply because it was a change in general.
That is the little truth about the "You are afraid of change" statement: the fact that one should judge specific directions of change and not change in general. Obviously, it is most probable that this statement was used in contexts that made this little truth irrelevant, for example if used against someone who played DmC and in the end disliked it for reasons of his own.

IncarnatedDemon

^ I don't disregard DmC because it's a change. I disregard it for many reasons:
1. it is not what i want
1.2 story wise
1.3 character wise
1.4 gameplay wise

2. It's a reboot (reboots are replacements usually if they succeed)

3. It's not catering to me as Dante/DMC fan

And everything in story of DmC i expected more or less. I was not surprised or shocked by it.
And let's be honest according to my opinion DmC was supposed to replace DMC if sales were good. Capcom haven't said anything yet because they seem to be thinking what they should do since DmC didnt do well.

If you want me to elaborate why i believe DmC was supposed to replace DMC i will be happy to do that.

LysseC

^ I don't disregard DmC because it's a change. I disregard it for many reasons:
1. it is not what i want
1.2 story wise
1.3 character wise
1.4 gameplay wise

2. It's a reboot (reboots are replacements usually if they succeed)

3. It's not catering to me as Dante/DMC fan

And everything in story of DmC i expected more or less. I was not surprised or shocked by it.
And let's be honest according to my opinion DmC was supposed to replace DMC if sales were good. Capcom haven't said anything yet because they seem to be thinking what they should do since DmC didnt do well.

If you want me to elaborate why i believe DmC was supposed to replace DMC i will be happy to do that.
I was not accusing you of disregarding DmC for no reason, I was just talking in general about the whole "You are afraid of change" issue. If you, as you do, and as Terrutas, for example, does (I name him because of his post before), have reasons to dislike DmC, it's fine by me and I respect your opinions, as long as you respect mine. I was simply speaking in general of those people who disregard it for no other reasons than the mere fact that it's different, without specifying what differences made it dislikable. :)

IncarnatedDemon

I was not accusing you of disregarding DmC for no reason, I was just talking in general about the whole "You are afraid of change" issue. If you, as you do, and as Terrutas, for example, does (I name him because of his post before), have reasons to dislike DmC, it's fine by me and I respect your opinions, as long as you respect mine. I was simply speaking in general of those people who disregard it for no other reasons than the mere fact that it's different, without specifying what differences made it dislikable. :)
Fair enough :)

Terrutas

But I think that if you play the series enough and truly like it, then you could obviously see the reasons as for why people generally dislike this game. There are deeper reasons like the combat flaws and poor gameplay mechanics in comparison to the original series.

But in the story, lore and characters aspect it's pretty much blatantly obvious why people dislike it. (inb4 hair color)

LysseC

But I think that if you play the series enough and truly like it, then you could obviously see the reasons as for why people generally dislike this game. There are deeper reasons like the combat flaws and poor gameplay mechanics in comparison to the original series.

But in the story, lore and characters aspect it's pretty much blatantly obvious why people dislike it. (inb4 hair color)
And believe me, it' OK with me that people dislike it because for them a Devil May Cry is something else. What I think is wrong is judging it before even trying it, just because it changed things IN GENERAL. Honestly, I was a hater at first, in the worst sense of the word. I saw Dante with black hair and ASSUMED that everything in DmC was going to be a letdown because of that. This is exactly the attitude I deem biased, not the one of the fans who have more articulate opinions, for example Dante's changed way of acting, or the gameplay issues.

As long as people respect the fact that I might like DmC for my own reasons (for example, being a Vergil fan, I fell in love with his characterization in DmC, or the fact that it added some political issues to the plot; on the other hand, I still prefer DMC Dante), I respect other people's opinion that DmC is not what THEY expect from a Devil May Cry game.

Respect for different TASTES, and not judging a book by its cover (or a Dante by his hair), that's all I ask, BOTH from DmC and DMC fans. :)

Terrutas

And believe me, it' OK with me that people dislike it because for them a Devil May Cry is something else. Precisely.

What I think is wrong is judging it before even trying it, just because it changed things IN GENERAL. Honestly, I was a hater at first, in the worst sense of the word. I saw Dante with black hair and ASSUMED that everything in DmC was going to be a letdown because of that. This is exactly the attitude I deem biased, not the one of the fans who have more articulate opinions, for example Dante's changed way of acting, or the gameplay issues. I...I spent 12 hours on that game.
I will never get them back, ever. ;_;

As long as people respect the fact that I might like DmC for my own reasons (for example, being a Vergil fan, I fell in love with his characterization in DmC, or the fact that it added some political issues to the plot; on the other hand, I still prefer DMC Dante), I respect other people's opinion that DmC is not what THEY expect from a Devil May Cry game.

Respect for different TASTES, and not judging a book by its cover (or a Dante by his hair), that's all I ask, BOTH from DmC and DMC fans. :)
>a Dante by his hair. Oh you.

But those of us who did criticize the game (Chaser, me, and a few others) have played the game and pointed out more gameplay flaws rather than lore flaws.
But we're still haters and anti's.
:<

LysseC

>a Dante by his hair. Oh you.

But those of us who did criticize the game (Chaser, me, and a few others) have played the game and pointed out more gameplay flaws rather than lore flaws.
But we're still haters and anti's.
:<
I can understand your disappointment, and I am sorry that you spent hours doing a thing you didn't like that much. :(
But I would rather not call you 'hater', because it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, while you seem a reasonable person, not a blind hater... If I have to, I'd rather call you an anti, it seems less negative to me. But, oh well, those are my personal quirks about vocabulary...^^
As for gameplay issues vs plot issues, I am not an expert player, so I think it's best for me to leave these issues to people who have more expertise, and just concentrate on characters and story... :p Being not a pro player, what I search for in games is not a very complex gameplay, even if I still enjoy playing DMC. But I understand that this is my personal call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom