• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Were the reviews really paid or people aren't buying it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IncarnatedDemon

also tell me after playing MGS4 you didn't want to play as raiden after this
I´ve not played MGS4 or majority of the games.

I played 2 a bit but not enough to remember the game well.
But Raiden is very bad ass in that video.
Saw alot of MGS4 cutscenes on Youtube.

Alot of the things you see in that cutscenes you can find in MGR gameplay more or less.

Yugo12

Now I'm no fan of the MG series, but...I honestly prefer Raiden in this clip then in MGR. In MGR, he seemed to try and be like Dante.
MGR needed more fights like this. The last fight in MGR is awesome, but most of the cutscenes consist of talking instead of action.

Yugo12

Then you must not be a fan of the Metal Gear series.
I'm a fan of Metal Gear, but MGR's whole point was to be a Metal Gear Action Game. Talking is fine, but action is mostly in the gameplay and not the cutscenes. Cutscenes should be action-packed as well not just gameplay. It makes cutscene re-watchable in the future. The writing isn't as up to par as the MGS series so for many of the cutscenes there isn't enough there to keep me interested in listening to the dialogue for a second time. That's why I feel like the best part of the game is the Final Boss because it's so ridiculous, the dialogue is legitimately funny and somewhat interesting, and the action is great and entertaining to watch.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
i knew you were gonna say that one time or another lol
:lol: I just happen to like the quote. Maybe I should change to Lilith?:troll: But you don't like that, and I like being Loopy.

Anyway, that happened last night and is in the past. I don't want more of the same. It's not what I joined the forum for.:p

Oh, and to answer your qustion from earlier- I think it was you who asked this? Yes, Troy Baker is also Booker in Bioshock Infinite. It's funny how Jennifer Hale and Troy Baker are being cast in the same games and shows recently:p Hale is Lutece and Booker is Baker. Also Baker is in Mass Effcet, and the two also have roles on Generator Rex. Cool coincidence.>_<

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
I've got no real investment in this thread other then something i read a few pages back and that's:

Keeping fingers crossed for you fans of MGS.^_^

If I wanted to start playing MGS games, which one would be best to start with?

When you finally get around to playing MGS, would you mind sharing your thoughts with the rest of us? As a new player, i'd be fascinated in your thoughts on the series as you progress through it.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I've got no real investment in this thread other then something i read a few pages back and that's:

When you finally get around to playing MGS, would you mind sharing your thoughts with the rest of us? As a new player, i'd be fascinated in your thoughts on the series as you progress through it.
Sure, I can do that. ^_^ I put in my order for the HD bundle this morning, so Amazon will have it sent to me in a few days.
I only heard about th games due to talk about Raiden and the controversy surrounding him. So I'm interested in playing all of the games to see what the fuss is.

I think there's a MGS topic on this forum, so I will post my thoughts there as I play the games.:)

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
Sure, I can do that. ^_^ I put in my order for the HD bundle this morning, so Amazon will have it sent to me in a few days.
I only heard about th games due to talk about Raiden and the controversy surrounding him. So I'm interested in playing all of the games to see what the fuss is.

I think there's a MGS topic on this forum, so I will post my thoughts there as I play the games.:)

Excellent news, by all means if you have any questions about the series, bring it up and i'm sure either Chancey, myself or one of the others that have alot of experience with the series can answer.

The answer will likely be "Nanomachines" but hey it doesn't hurt to ask.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Excellent news, by all means if you have any questions about the series, bring it up and i'm sure either Chancey, myself or one of the others that have alot of experience with the series can answer.
Thanks! I think I will have questions considering there are a lot of games in the MGS series.
The answer will likely be "Nanomachines" but hey it doesn't hurt to ask.
I have some experience knowing about nanomachines, but I'm sure MGS has its own ideas of what nanomachines can do, so I might have to ask about that too.

It's good to know there's a network of fans here that I can chat to and ask questions. That's part of the reason I'm on this forum: talking about all videogames- not just Devil may cry.^_^

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Nobody knows if review sites get paid off in the first place. I mean, if they were paid off, how would you ever find out? You'd have to be the CEO of the game developing company to know, and maybe even then you wouldn't realize it. Aside from that, wouldn't their bribing be discovered by the government? And then what? There are just too many questions to ask.

That said, I do find scores of 89/100 or even above a 9 exorbitantly high for DmC. You have to keep in mind that a 10/10 would mean the game's perfect and has amazing writing, an excellent plot, awesome, deep characters, a marvellous soundtrack the likes of which comes around once in a lifetime like Halley's Comet, acting, and so on and so forth.
If the game only has awe-inspiring gameplay, there would be no way it could get a 9/10. I mean, how would that math work?
Let's say: story = 8, gameplay = 9.5, graphics = 6 soundtrack = 7. So we get 8+9.5+6+7. That's 30.5, divided by 4 = what, a 7.5 or something? The verdict: a 9/10? Yeah, seems legit :/ I know, you can't put a number on personal feelings, but the thing is, reviewers are supposed to at least evaluate the game, not just state their opinion and call it a day. I tend to avoid reading reviews because they're usually full of stuff like ''yeah, it's a solid game. I liked this, but this and that was badly implemented and just doesn't work. I rate it a 9.5/10.'' ...Wait, what?! I'd say a lot of people just shouldn't be reviewers, and I wouldn't be surprised if professional reviewers are selected primarily based on their social skills and how eloquent they are. But nobody cares, apparently. People keep saying it's just an opinion, but if it were mainly an opinion, why are they called 'reviewers' in the first place? It's all very illogical.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Nobody knows if review sites get paid off in the first place. I mean, if they were paid off, how would you ever find out? You'd have to be the CEO of the game developing company to know, and maybe even then you wouldn't realize it. Aside from that, wouldn't their bribing be discovered by the government? And then what? There are just too many questions to ask.

That said, I do find scores of 89/100 or even above a 9 exorbitantly high for DmC. You have to keep in mind that a 10/10 would mean the game's perfect and has amazing writing, an excellent plot, awesome, deep characters, a marvellous soundtrack the likes of which comes around once in a lifetime like Halley's Comet, acting, and so on and so forth.
If the game only has awe-inspiring gameplay, there would be no way it could get a 9/10. I mean, how would that math work?
Let's say: story = 8, gameplay = 9.5, graphics = 6 soundtrack = 7. So we get 8+9.5+6+7. That's 30.5, divided by 4 = what, a 7.5 or something? The verdict: a 9/10? Yeah, seems legit :/ I know, you can't put a number on personal feelings, but the thing is, reviewers are supposed to at least evaluate the game, not just state their opinion and call it a day. I tend to avoid reading reviews because they're usually full of stuff like ''yeah, it's a solid game. I liked this, but this and that was badly implemented and just doesn't work. I rate it a 9.5/10.'' ...Wait, what?! I'd say a lot of people just shouldn't be reviewers, and I wouldn't be surprised if professional reviewers are selected primarily based on their social skills and how eloquent they are. But nobody cares, apparently. People keep saying it's just an opinion, but if it were mainly an opinion, why are they called 'reviewers' in the first place? It's all very illogical.

Reviews are nothing but an opinion. Someone being honest is also saying DmC is a 10/10. And I'm pretty sure it's easy to spot the reviews that are doing nothing but pandering and are obviously bias to the ones who are being fair. It must kill you to see DmC get high scores and MGR getting the short end of the stick. The reviewers have no clue what they're talking about right?

Best DmC review.

Terrutas

Whenever he says "Your opinion, man" I hear him saying Europinion man. as in some kind of super hero.

Is it just me? :<

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot

Reviews are nothing but an opinion. Someone being honest is also saying DmC is a 10/10. And I'm pretty sure it's easy to spot the reviews that are doing nothing but pandering and are obviously bias to the ones who are being fair. It must kill you to see DmC get high scores and MGR getting the short end of the stick. The reviewers have no clue what they're talking about right?

Best DmC review.

Yeeeeah... I wouldn't call an 8.5 or so the short end of the stick - pretty much equal to DmC. Besides, I never said anything about MGR, so I'm not sure what your problem is here. I'm talking about DmC alone. And I respectfully disagree; reviews are not wholly opinions. And grades like 10/10 are obviously biased in the sense that the reviewer let his enthusiasm cloud his objective judgement. Reviews are exactly what the name implies: reviews, not some kind of completely personal article. Of course, opinions do get written down in reviews as that's what makes them interesting and unique, but grades are not solely based on emotional judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom