• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Were the reviews really paid or people aren't buying it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yugo12

From what I've seen with the DmC reviews, 95% of the critics loved it, but people are saying that NT payed them to do the reviews and this and that, so yeah it got me questioning that. What happened? I thought reviews help the sales boost up. Did journalism die out after they gave DmC an 8 or 9 or something? Jeez....

I'll reply to some of yall answers tomorrow. Good night!
Nah I don't think so. I think a lot of the reviewers actually liked the game, but I do feel like places like IGN or Kotaku have an extreme bias towards Ninja Theory. I think those sites feel like Ninja Theory is an underdog in the industry. They probably personally like them and their sort of artist sensibilities. Therefore they will defend them and be lite on them.

I'm not saying this a fact though, but this is what I've been thinking since I saw IGN give an article about why DmC would be great for the franchise and afterwards made an article after MGR's debut trailer saying it will ruin Metal Gear. So they think that the franchise reboot that could possibly replace the original franchise couldn't possibly ruin DMC, but a side story that could be deemed non canon if Kojima wanted it to be will ruin Metal Gear. It makes no sense.

Also there was so much exclusive coverage on DmC and there were so many articles on Ninja Theory. CVG even had an article calling Tameem a savior. It was getting a little suspicious but I don't think anyone was payed, bribed, or whatever. I just think this exposure with developers has caused this sort of one sided bias with some devs and some publishers.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Nah I don't think so. I think a lot of the reviewers actually liked the game, but I do feel like places like IGN or Kotaku have an extreme bias towards Ninja Theory. I think those sites feel like Ninja Theory is an underdog in the industry. They probably personally like them and their sort of artist sensibilities. Therefore they will defend them and be lite on them.That does seem to be what is happening. They have a sense of bias, but no due to a monetary bribe. Still don't agree with IGN being like that though, even if other sites are the same at being biased.

I'm not saying this a fact though, but this is what I've been thinking since I saw IGN give an article about why DmC would be great for the franchise and afterwards made an article after MGR's debut trailer saying it will ruin Metal Gear. So they think that the franchise reboot that could possibly replace the original franchise couldn't possibly ruin DMC, but a side story that could be deemed non canon if Kojima wanted it to be will ruin Metal Gear. It makes no sense.Got to say, they shouldn't have said that about Metal gear. That's just putting fuel on the flames for people to argue. If people like a game, they will get it. IGN shouldn't make statements like that in my opinion.

Also there was so much exclusive coverage on DmC and there were so many articles on Ninja Theory. CVG even had an article calling Tameem a savior. It was getting a little suspicious but I don't think anyone was payed, bribed, or whatever. I just think this exposure with developers has caused this sort of one sided bias with some devs and some publishers.
They did get a lot of exclisive videos and interviews so that IGN could get a peak in their site hits. Then again, IGN isn't the only site to do this. It's just what happens these days. But I don't think exchange of money was involved.
As for that article on Tameem...:lol: Saviour- no way. I like his ideas for DmC, but not how he came across in interviews. Some he was fine, some I could understand where he was coming from, others...I have no idea.:p

Well said, btw^_^

Were the reviewers paid? Yes. :troll:
Of course. 100% sure on this:troll: They were also given their weight in candy as an extra incentive.....Now that kind of bribe I would like. :p

PS. I like your sig and avatar. ^_^

Meg

Of course. 100% sure on this:troll: They were also given their weight in candy as an extra incentive.....Now that kind of bribe I would like. :p

PS. I like your sig and avatar. ^_^
Well sure, that's how all reviews work. Developers pay them in Monopoly money. :troll:

Honestly though, does it really matter if a reviewer gets paid or not? People shouldn't even have to rely on arbitrary review scores. Now, there are studies that show that review scores do affect how much people enjoy a game. So there's that. :ermm:

EDIT: And thank you! :D

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Nah I don't think so. I think a lot of the reviewers actually liked the game, but I do feel like places like IGN or Kotaku have an extreme bias towards Ninja Theory. I think those sites feel like Ninja Theory is an underdog in the industry. They probably personally like them and their sort of artist sensibilities. Therefore they will defend them and be lite on them.

I'm not saying this a fact though, but this is what I've been thinking since I saw IGN give an article about why DmC would be great for the franchise and afterwards made an article after MGR's debut trailer saying it will ruin Metal Gear. So they think that the franchise reboot that could possibly replace the original franchise couldn't possibly ruin DMC, but a side story that could be deemed non canon if Kojima wanted it to be will ruin Metal Gear. It makes no sense.

The issue with Rising is nothing about the story. It's how most Metal Gear fans aren't these Devil May Cry fans and fell in love with Metal Gear for Metal Gear reasons. That included the stealth focused gameplay and not some Ninja Gaiden type game. Plus adding Raiden as the lead, who is still pretty much universally hated, didn't help the matter. We all want that Gray Fox game. Plus just knowing Kojima was really hardly involved in the project is enough to also turn people off because Hideo Kojima's name sells. It really does. He has that kind of status.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Well sure, that's how all reviews work. Developers pay them in Monopoly money. :troll:
Lots of Monopoly money and some chess pieces too:p
Honestly though, does it really matter if a reviewer gets paid or not? People shouldn't even have to rely on arbitrary review scores. Now, there are studies that show that review scores do affect how much people enjoy a game. So there's that. :ermm:
Exactly. People should make their own mind up. But it is a little worrying what you say about how a score can affect game enjoyment. :O
You're welcome. Besides, he just plain rocks anyway. ^_^

Reactions: Meg

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.

Nightwing is awesome.

Yugo12

They did get a lot of exclisive videos and interviews so that IGN could get a peak in their site hits. Then again, IGN isn't the only site to do this. It's just what happens these days. But I don't think exchange of money was involved.
As for that article on Tameem...:lol: Saviour- no way. I like his ideas for DmC, but not how he came across in interviews. Some he was fine, some I could understand where he was coming from, others...I have no idea.:p

Well said, btw^_^

Thank you, and I know IGN aren't the only ones to do that and it makes sense to have content to get people to come into the site. It's no different than a magazine getting an exclusive now that I think about it. But there are people in the review industry that have bias and I don't think it can be helped really. Like recently I started to notice that I think Eurogamer might have a bias towards Platinum Games and Gametrailers with Konami.

There is always going to be a bias and that's why when it comes to games I'm unsure about I kind of look for reviews everywhere and hear from what word of mouth what people think of a game. Most of the time it works out for me.

IncarnatedDemon

Such waste of time with trying to discuss anything with you Loopy.

You can´t even bother answering a simple yes or no question.
But you use that energy to tell me about how i am desperate and want to argue.
How i am biased about DmC based on me saying to ignore a video of a guy promoting DmC instead of reviewing it, and ignoring the three other videos i posted and recommend which gives DmC a fair review.

And failing to realize that when discussing the possiblity of IGN taking a bribe includes:
Capcom and IGN´s history of accepting bribes (that includes companies that bribed them).

TWO
2 times i had to explain to you how IGN´s history of accepting bribes is relevant for the discussion we was supposed to have because you kept telling me "Why do you care about IGN if you think they are crap".

Dont think i ever faced palmed so hard before...

Anyway, adjo.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Thank you, and I know IGN aren't the only ones to do that and it makes sense to have content to get people to come into the site. It's no different than a magazine getting an exclusive now that I think about it. But there are people in the review industry that have bias and I don't think it can be helped really. Like recently I started to notice that I think Eurogamer might have a bias towards Platinum Games and Gametrailers with Konami.Exactly. Not just game sites, but newspapers and TV also want exclusives. That's how the world is today for better or worse.
There will be bias because people by nature are bias. Sadly it can't be avoided. It's just a fact I guess.

There is always going to be a bias and that's why when it comes to games I'm unsure about I kind of look for reviews everywhere and hear from what word of mouth what people think of a game. Most of the time it works out for me.
Yep, that's the best way to do it. Look from all sides and then make your own mind up with all viewpoints in mind. ^_^

Such waste of time with trying to discuss anything with you Loopy.We were just getting this topic back to civility, but look who it is...:troll:

You can´t even bother answering a simple yes or no question.I did.
But you use that energy to tell me about how i am desperate and want to argue.Same to you too. You keep coming back for more. Do you like it?
How i am biased about DmC based on me saying to ignore a video of a guy promoting DmC instead of reviewing it, and ignoring the three other videos i posted and recommend which gives DmC a fair review.

And failing to realize that when discussing the possiblity of IGN taking a bribe includes:
Capcom and IGN´s history of accepting bribes (that includes companies that bribed them).

TWO
2 times i had to explain to you how IGN´s history of accepting bribes is relevant for the discussion we was supposed to have because you kept telling me "Why do you care about IGN if you think they are crap".

Dont think i ever faced palmed so hard before...Ah yes, and that's why people are agreeing with you...oh wait, they're not.

Anyway, adjo.
Congratulations, you're on your way to becoming the next top idiot. You really do like arguing don't you? You just do it with anyone you can. Now why don't you be the 'bigger person' and walk away.^_^

Yugo12

The issue with Rising is nothing about the story. It's how most Metal Gear fans aren't these Devil May Cry fans and fell in love with Metal Gear for Metal Gear reasons. That included the stealth focused gameplay and not some Ninja Gaiden type game. Plus adding Raiden as the lead, who is still pretty much universally hated, didn't help the matter. We all want that Gray Fox game. Plus just knowing Kojima was really hardly involved in the project is enough to also turn people off because Hideo Kojima's name sells. It really does. He has that kind of status.
Yeah but I like Raiden, there are plenty of people who like Raiden and I'm sure there are Metal Gear fans who are also Hackn'Slash fans like me. It was a side story that was never meant to be a replacement of the series just another game like Ac!d. So coming into it with the mindset knowing that it would just be another spinoff game I didn't see the problem with it. I understood why someone wouldn't like it, but to go on saying that it will ruin Metal Gear seemed like they are taking their disdain for Raiden a bit too far.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Yeah but I like Raiden, there are plenty of people who like Raiden and I'm sure there are Metal Gear fans who are also Hackn'Slash fans like me. It was a side story that was never meant to be a replacement of the series just another game like Ac!d. So coming into it with the mindset knowing that it would just be another spinoff game I didn't see the problem with it. I understood why someone wouldn't like it, but to go on saying that it will ruin Metal Gear seemed like they are taking their disdain for Raiden a bit too far.
I wouldn't know about Raiden. I haven't played Metal gear before, but I don't think someone should be bashing a character so seriosuly. If this game is not going to replace the others, then I don't understand the problem.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
I wouldn't know about Raiden. I haven't played Metal gear before, but I don't think someone should be bashing a character so seriosuly. If this game is not going to replace the others, then I don't understand the problem.

Yea I don't understand much of the hate MGR receives.

Unlike DmC which is a reboot which in most cases means it will replace the old continuity (although Capcom never said this one would) MGR was just a "side game" made to venture into a different market while the whole time a TRUE Metal Gear solid game was already being made and was revealed during this game development (referring to MGS5).

So I really don't understand why so many people where moaning about MGR despite the fact that they have a game of their liking coming right around the corner.

Just ignore it and wait for what is deemed by many fans to be the a TRUE Metal Gear solid game.

At least you guy have it already confirmed unlike DMC5 lol.

All that being said, I've been a fan of MGS since the PS1, like all the games actually and liked raiden also, MGR was a good game in my book and I still have Metal Gear solid 5 to look forward to.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Raiden is awful. Period.

The true Cyborg Ninja.
gray-fox-metal-gear-20080710010422224-000.jpg

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Yea I don't understand much of the hate MGR receives.
Is it because Raiden is new? That is the reason for hate?
Unlike DmC which is a reboot which in most cases means it will replace the old continuity (although Capcom never said this one would) MGR was just a "side game" made to venture into a different market while the whole time a TRUE Metal Gear solid game was already being made and was revealed during this game development (referring to MGS5).
Then if they hav both on the way, there should be no problem.
So I really don't understand why so many people where moaning about MGR despite the fact that they have a game of their liking coming right around the corner.
Exactly!
Just ignore it and wait for what is deemed by many fans to be the a TRUE Metal Gear solid game.
And also a lot of flaming and trolling from fans. But true, let the fans decide in bloody and flaming forum combat. :p
At least you guy have it already confirmed unlike DMC5 lol.
So true. I hate being kept waiting for news about DMC5 for sure or no DMC5 ever. I want an answer! Seriously, I really do.

All that being said, I've been a fan of MGS since the PS1, like all the games actually and liked raiden also, MGR was a good game in my book and I still have Metal Gear solid 5 to look forward to.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium

To answer your question, Raiden isn't really "new".

he has been around since MGS2, but many fans dislike him because he took the lead role from Solid Snake in that game.

Also because he is a apparent "pretty boy" lol.

IncarnatedDemon

Congratulations, you're on your way to becoming the next top idiot. You really do like arguing don't you? You just do it with anyone you can. Now why don't you be the 'bigger person' and walk away.^_^
You say i like to argue.

Yet you call me desperate for something and wanting to argue.

No i dont like arguing.

I am simply fed up with way you have treated me ever since i intiated a discussion with you.

It´s so messed up that i am an idiot for expressing how wasteful it was to try discuss with you, yet before i did that, you said i am biased , desperate and a troublemaker - and that is perfectly fine.

You said i was biased, you called me a troublemaker, desperate for being right.
And talked to me in condescending ways.

And because i lashed out back at you in same manner you lashed out at me, i am becoming the next top idiot?

If i am going to become the next top idiot, then your already one.

Because if you had behaved differently i am sure you and i could have discuessed the subtopic i intiated without any arguments. And we would agree on something, and disagree on another and that would be it.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
In reality most Metal Gear fans don't care. Seems the only one who gave Rising the most attention was the DMC fans butthurt about the reboot and I know pretty much damn well were never interested in the Metal Gear series before for the most part.

Although the complaints about MGR is how it stars the still universally hated character instead of the one everyone likes and Kojima is hardly involved. MGR is a decent hack n slasher but it is pretty much Metal Gear in name only.

People want MGS fans to get over Raiden? Get over the new Dante especially since he's freaking virtually the same anyway. The DmC Dante really isn't that drastically different when you get right down to it. I don;t know why fans act like it was such a jarring change.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
To answer your question, Raiden isn't really "new".

he has been around since MGS2, but many fans dislike him because he took the lead role from Solid Snake in that game.

Also because he is a apparent "pretty boy" lol.
Well Raiden is pretty feminine. They even made a jab at that in Metal Gear before.

And when he was in MGS 2 he was a whiny little b!tch who just complained to Snake and argued with Rose like every 5 minutes. That first impression was a lasting one and just because someone wants to bend over backwards and turn him in to a Cyborg Ninja to say "hey, he's actually cool" the rest of us are like, "You're no Gray Fox and you're still Raiden. F*ck off. I thought we made it clear no one likes you."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom